http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 01:04:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GTA4 impressions thread  (Read 73073 times)
godhugh
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 30, 2008, 03:47:04 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on April 30, 2008, 03:42:04 AM

Got about an hour in tonight.    Unfortunately I have to go BACK out of town tomorrow so I'll be stuck at an hour until Thursday.   So far it seems it's an amazing game and I've JUST scratched the surface.   The city does have a living feel to it... and yes there is haze in the distance but we all don't yet have supercomputers to handle a completely no load open world with no haze or popup.    A decade from now probably....

Anyway.. the story and feel of the city is great.    I'm loving the phone.   

OH...and just in case anyone wondered --   I got the PS3 version from Amazon.com, and I just checked gamefly and I was lucky enough to get the 360 version rented.   It should be here by the time I get back in town on Thursday.    I can then do a CLOSE comparison by getting Nikko to stand in the same place or do the same thing and switch back and forth on my TV to do a comparison.   I'll also be able to do multiplayer with those of you on the 360 version.   thumbsup

Argh, I didn't get it from Gamefly and now you're the second person who rented the 360 version despite already having the PS3 version  icon_mad. Let us folks who can't buy it yet have a chance!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 30, 2008, 03:51:55 AM »

I've gotten about 3 hours of SP and 1.5 hours of MP in today, and I'm loving it.  Granted, I'm really not a graphics whore, but it looks great on my 32" LCD.  Using the cinema angle while riding the subway, the cars looked incredibly realistic. The city just seems so huge, and I have already had some random things happen when I have bumped into people on the street. I did get backed up behind about 20 cars at a toll booth - realistic, but a bit silly for a game.

Multiplayer was a lot of fun and we only played a little bit of it. Free mode alone was a blast.  Setting off an RPG at your own feet with 2 others next to you = comedy gold.

Oh, MP did appear to lock up on everyone at one point.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 30, 2008, 04:09:26 AM »

Got around three hours in tonight.  Just after getting the cell phone, I got an MP invite into a Free Mode session.  While mildly amusing, I had no clue how to aim with lock-on (can you in MP), and what I was worried about with Free Mode happened: chaos, but fairly spread out chaos, and no real direction.  It felt to me like a bunch of people running around trying to find one another and then either shoot or run down each other for no particular reason.  I heard someone find a chopper and someone else find a rocket launcher, but I had my pistol the whole time.  Wasn't having much fun, so I left to continue the SP.  I expect the modes with actual structure will be more fun for me than Free Mode, until some kind of goals are set for Free Mode.

The cars were feeling much better to me by the end of the night.  You definitely can't drive them like older GTA cars.  I hate the screen of the cell phone.  Even with brightness and contrast turned up and the screen text set to large, I frequently can't read what it says.  Picking nearly-black and not-quite-nearly-black as the colors was a bad idea.  Does anyone know if you can upgrade the phone later to one with a better screen?

Favorite moments:

-While chasing another car, realizing too late that I was about to hit a guardrail, then hitting it, launching Nico out to his death in the water below.

-Punching a fat guy, and then getting him to chase me around until I found a cop car, then letting him catch me and hit me.  While the cops were busy with him, I nabbed their car.  After losing the wanted level, I called for backup, and then caused chaos as I made my escape through the other three cars that showed up.  Escape failed when I jumped the car into a gas station, causing a massive explosion.

-Having Roman call me to go out, and going to pick him up on a motorcycle.  When he got on, hearing him say "You like when I hold you like this on a motorbike, no?"

-Turning on the subtitles so I can figure out what the rasta guy is saying.

-Not having the subtitles help at all.

Good so far.  I'd definitely like to try some of the non-Free MP modes soon.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 30, 2008, 04:27:28 AM »

Ok, this game is simply awesome.

It borders making me feel sick though.  Thankfully it's not a huge issue.

Onto the game...

I'm loving it, I wish there wasn't as much cursing since it doesn't really add anything to the dialogue. 

Lets get this out of the way, graphics look fine. In Vice City, they used a fog to hide the draw distance, now they are using a canvas style painting.  It's not a big deal, and expected for a game like this. 

The car control reminds me of Mafia.  While the cars are not as slow, both games had a weighty feel to it, which goes along with the physics of the game.  I love how each car feels different.  I'm also glad the flat tires have carried over, made chase scenes much more exciting

What's great about the game is the little details

At one point it was stormy, raining, windy, thunder and lightning.  I exited my cousin's garage and too my suprise I see the light signals violently moving with the wind.  Talk about realistic. 

Another cool touch as mentioned at popehat, is the cellphone.  Whenever I put my cellphone by my alarm clock/radio i hear this weird sound coming from my phone, right before I get a call or a text message, well that's in the game as well.

The hand fighting is fun and not so robust as in previous versions of the game.

While the gameplay is the same overall, it's still fun to revisit this type of game every few years.

I got to play multiplayer for about 5 mins and had no clue what I was doing.  The only thing I can say it wasn't laggy.

I can't wait to jump back in, unfortunately it won't be until Thursday, possibly Friday.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 30, 2008, 04:44:31 AM »

Quote from: gellar on April 30, 2008, 12:57:14 AM

Oh and my PS3 version has locked up twice in maybe 4 hours of play.  Definitely annoying, but pretty rare.

gellar
I've had no lockups on my 60gig version in about 4 hours.

PSN ID: EduardoX
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 30, 2008, 04:58:28 AM »

If you get a chance watch the TV in your safehouse.  The Republican Space Rangers cartoon is great. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 05:01:20 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 30, 2008, 04:58:37 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 30, 2008, 04:09:26 AM

I had no clue how to aim with lock-on (can you in MP),

the host can disable it, which was probably what happened.  It makes MP a bit too easy.  The racing is fun, and I've managed to get a good handle on the helicopter (at least the not crashing part), so I can say MP will take up a majority of my time.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 30, 2008, 05:18:08 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on April 30, 2008, 04:44:31 AM

Oh and my PS3 version has locked up twice in maybe 4 hours of play.  Definitely annoying, but pretty rare.

gellar

Same here- no lockups after four hours on a 60 Gig. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 30, 2008, 05:20:11 AM »

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 30, 2008, 05:39:58 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on April 29, 2008, 11:07:22 PM

For some reason, I can't get MP working on the PS3. It just tells me that it can't contact the game provider, or some such.

Am I the only one with this issue?

I too am getting this message. I wish they would fix it...I am wanting to try out the MP....

Chris

PSN: MythicalMino
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 30, 2008, 05:42:09 AM »

Got to play about 30 mins earlier, just passed the first mission. Graphics are meh, but it was the shadows that really shocked me...they look like comic book pixels.  Controls on foot and in car were fine and I didn't have any problems with it.  I'm dying for a more solid block of time to play this.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 30, 2008, 06:10:01 AM »

YAY! Unplugged all the Rock band controllers and Voila! Game runs! 

So, I played for about two hours.  I think the new graphics kinda suck, and it REALLY showed during the first mission for Vlad (the china shop) the sun was setting and the horrid jaggies and the complete blurriness of the entire street made it look like a PS1 game - seriously, Leo was right, the shadows just make everything look horribly pixellated.  Other than that, it's just a another GTA game, not that that's a bad thing.

Oh, and my Nico sucks at bowling.  Just thought I'd mention that.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 30, 2008, 07:24:56 AM »

Managed a 210 on the bowling.  I think I might be spending a little too much time on the bowling smile

Pikachu, I Blame you!
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 30, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »

I am really enjoying it. I play some missions, then just go on a crazy driving killing spree....I finally got into the MP now that the PS3 MP deal seems to be fixed. Was having LOTS of fun in a Free Mode game (not sure how, but themissinglink and myself got into that same game), but then all of a sudden, I was booted out of the game, and into a game with only me. Perhaps there is somehow you can join a game that has someone on your friends list? Not sure....I couldn't figure out how to find that game I was in....

Chris

PSN: MythicalMino
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 30, 2008, 08:33:13 AM »

i was watching TV last night(in game)..and i saw 2 referances to Rockstar games

first of was a show about rich people,it said that they have tiny little dogs hidden up their vagina,and they went to a rich boarding school,as it said that it showed a picture of Bullworth boarding school from Bully

2nd was a commercial for Vinewood C*nts....and it showed the hollywood type sign of Vinewood thats from GTA:san andreas

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 30, 2008, 08:45:35 AM »

Quote from: MythicalMino on April 30, 2008, 08:05:00 AM

I am really enjoying it. I play some missions, then just go on a crazy driving killing spree....I finally got into the MP now that the PS3 MP deal seems to be fixed. Was having LOTS of fun in a Free Mode game (not sure how, but themissinglink and myself got into that same game), but then all of a sudden, I was booted out of the game, and into a game with only me. Perhaps there is somehow you can join a game that has someone on your friends list? Not sure....I couldn't figure out how to find that game I was in....

Yeah, that was pretty fun.  Although, did you notice the absolute decimation of the frames-per-second with all that action going on?  I was seriously getting a framerate close to 7-10 per second.

The game looks cleaner today.  I don't know if I'm used to the graphics, or if something happened.  I couldn't imagine that big of a difference in just getting used to it.  Very strange.

So as I'm playing the single-player, I'm getting the exact same GTA vibe.  This is the same game I've played since GTA3.  I'm doing the same missions, encountering the same weird bugs...

I mean, yeah, the game has its moments.  But damn, this is the same game that we've been playing for years.

TheMissingLink on PSN
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 30, 2008, 08:52:06 AM »

Oh god, I love this game. I played MP first with some peeps. My god so many great moments. We spent more time in the lobby than actually playing a gametype. So much fun to be had messing around. Cops and robbers is a great game though.

The sp so far is great. Watching the TV and it's just freakin hilarious.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 30, 2008, 09:12:26 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on April 30, 2008, 07:24:56 AM

Managed a 210 on the bowling.  I think I might be spending a little too much time on the bowling smile

Jesus Christ man...

Bowling on the first date with Michelle and she destroyed me  icon_razz

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 30, 2008, 10:31:51 AM »

What does that mean? Do you have to pay for some multiplayer modes?
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 30, 2008, 11:04:30 AM »

Well I paid my copy off but I am out of the country on vacation until may 3rd so I cant check it out till then. I have been reading a lot about the graphics issues with the PS3 is there a problem or is it only with select TV's that it looks bad. I sold my 360 s I am stuck getting the PS3 version for now.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 30, 2008, 11:16:41 AM »

I won my first bowling date, maybe Michelle was distracted with my good looks slywink

As I mentioned above, I've got five hours in the game, the 360 version, all SP.

Went to the bar with Roman. Holy crap, being drunk and driving can get you into real trouble. We got caught by the cops and after trying to run we got gunned down. All very weird, but oddly entertaining.

Played darts. Found it rather easy to win. Also went to the strip club with Roman, nothing special there, although I saw a video game (which I couldn't play because I was on a mission) and an ATM machine, which I will have to check out again later slywink

Driving is getting easier as I get more gameplay in. Cars oversteer wildly and half the car in Liberty City apparently have no shocks and oversized springs. Still, with a little finesse it's possible to really haul butt. I did steal a Feltzer and it was much more responsive and easy to drive.

Is it me or does Niko seem to move kinda slow? The run speed (holding "A") is a bit too slow and sprinting kills my thumb. Not really a show stopper, more like a design decision I guess to allow the graphics to keep up. There are a lot of details everywhere to see.

I have been fiddling with the display picture settings both in-game and on my monitor. I do have an issue with my monitor being overly bright and also the screen itself reflects a lot of light in my room, so dark scenes in GTAIV aren't as optimal as they could be. I finally altered the brightness down, the contrast up and the saturation up and the game does look better at night.

I've gotten used to the GTAIV graphics with the fuzzy/blurry/jaggy-ness of objects at a distance. The most important thing is that it doesn't distract you from being immersed in the game. Cutscenes and objects up close are sharp and detailed. Cars are really nice. There's an amazing amount of detail that you don't really notice driving by but if you walk it is so much more... alive than in GTASA.

I've finished about 9.86% of the game in five hours. So far the mission have been relatively painless. I've had to repeat about three missions, one of them three times, but not so much that it was hard as that I misunderstood what I was expected to do. For instance, in one mission I lost because the person who was accompanying me got killed. I didn't know that was a way I could lose it, although from the backstory it should have occurred to me. In GTAIV, at least so far, there's no HUD icon showing a friendly NPC's health in a mission. That's different than GTASA (I'm pretty sure) but actually aids in immersing you in the situation. By not having a HUD meter for the NPC it raises the tension level. This is also true of an opponent's car I had to smash up in a mission; no meter on my HUD to measure how well I was doing. I thought it might be a hindrance, but actually it kept me from wasting time glancing at a meter so I could focus on the opponent's car.

There have been comments that GTAIV isn't that different than GTASA. I guess that's true in some aspects. Mission structure so far has been rather the same, the missions introducing new concepts and activities, usually introduced with a cutscene. I don't think that's a problem, since it is supposed to be a GTA game. However, it does have a grittier, more realistic feel. The characters have more depth to them. Michelle for instance is a lot deeper than your first girlfriend in GTASA. Also they have dropped the body-building activities (and the overweight body factors) from GTASA and I feel that's a good thing. In GTASA it was a novelity but had little effect in the gameplay. I never went back to the gym after a while. There are clothes you can buy, and Michelle has noticed that I'm better dressed, but what long term effect this will have I don't know.

And again, there's no HUD meter like in GTASA to measure how you change in clothing has effected your relationships with others. You have to go talk to them to find out... more realistic.

I like how if you fail a mission you can optionally answer a text message to restart the mission. Saves having to drive back to the originating point. The cell phone features overall are done quite well and allow you to stay (dare I say it?) immersed in your character.

So what don't I like about GTAIV?
  • The graphics issues mentioned above are still a bit annoying at times.
  • The cars do handle badly behave strangely and even with practice there are ones that are pretty much unmanageable at speed.
  • I can't seem to find a good ratio between SFX and radio volume, many cars drown out talk on the radio unless I turn SFX way down, and then it seems too quiet when I'm out of the car.
  • The mini-games like bowling and darts get boring fast.
  • They still have the chase camera too low when driving. It keeps drifting too low when you go up a hill, so you have to move the RS to get a better view of what's ahead. And then it drifts back down icon_mad
  • Even with sub-titles on I can't understand Little Jacob half the time slywink
  • I don't like having to rely on sub-titles when Niko and Roman talk in Serbian while I'm driving. While it's all great for establishing the characters, it's hard enough to drive without having to take my eyes off the road.
  • I have to sleep and eat and go to work in the real world when I would rather be playing this game  icon_biggrin

Oh, and I haven't even tried MP yet... I hear it's pretty good.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 30, 2008, 11:18:26 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on April 30, 2008, 10:31:51 AM

What does that mean? Do you have to pay for some multiplayer modes?

No. Free Mode is just one of the (I think) fifteen different MP modes of gameplay. It's more free-style as I understand it, having not played it yet.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 30, 2008, 12:03:26 PM »

Quote from: jblank on April 30, 2008, 12:14:13 AM

Wow, love the game and I seem to be the only PS3 owner that thinks the graphics are great.

I did end up picking up the game for the PS3.  I wasn't expecting much on the graphics because of this thread, but I was very surprised.  The graphics are very nice!  The city looks pretty realisitic compared to past GTA games.  I do agree with some people that the dialog isn't that great, but hey this is about driving and shooting people.  My first little feature that I found and liked was watching TV in the cousin's apartment.  That was cool.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: April 30, 2008, 12:39:50 PM »

Ok, played a bit more and I do have a few complaints.

1. The camera system needs some work. When walking, it is too floaty and doesn't follow the player like it should, 100% of the time. As such, I got REALLY nausious when going after the guy in Vlad the not so terrible, in the construction yard.

2. When fighting or bowling, the button presses don't seem to always responsive. In particular, the bowling, can someone give me the lowdown on exactly HOW you do this?

3. The manual is a joke.

4. The game definitely is a bit on the dark side, and I did have to amp the brightness control from within the game to the max setting.

5. The text is a bit hard to read and the setting on the cell phone to change it, doesn't seem to be changeable.

Other than those things, the game is off the charts good.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 30, 2008, 12:59:28 PM »

Quote from: jblank on April 30, 2008, 12:39:50 PM

1. The camera system needs some work. When walking, it is too floaty and doesn't follow the player like it should, 100% of the time. As such, I got REALLY nausious when going after the guy in Vlad the not so terrible, in the construction yard.

Yeah, same nausious thing happened to me.  It did get better as I played the game.  I also agree about the camera system.  I didn't have much problems with the walking camera, it was the driving camera system that seemed to always float too low when driving uphill.  I had to adjust constantly with the right stick.

Minor quirks though.
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 30, 2008, 01:29:37 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 30, 2008, 05:18:08 AM

Quote from: Eduardo X on April 30, 2008, 04:44:31 AM

gellar

Same here- no lockups after four hours on a 60 Gig. 
I locked up on the first real mission (loan sharks) on my 40 gig PS3 right after the chase started.  I misjudged a turn and rammed the corner of a building and backed up w/o looking and backed over a cop walking the beat . . . which woke up the patrol car that was sitting 2 cars back at the light.  So I was being chased by the cops and the loan sharks then . . . . lock up.  Had to power down the PS3.
Loving the game so far . . . still in the "tutorial" missions b/c I didn't have that long to play.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 30, 2008, 01:42:28 PM »

If you haven't been to the Rock Star Social Club yet, here's a screenshot I just took of the police blotter to give you an idea of what's inside:

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: April 30, 2008, 01:43:50 PM »

Aside from the whole "cultivating relationships" thing, stick me in the "same gameplay as GTA3-San Andreas" camp. Not that that's a bad thing. As Mitch said, this iteration is evolutionary in its refinement of that gameplay, and it makes for a better game. I'm not as engrossed in the story/characters as I have been in the past, but I'm hoping that might change.

Where this game truly shines is the multi-player. I've only seriously played Deathmatch, Mafiya Missions, and GTA Race, but I've had an absolute blast doing so. The Mafiya missions add a bit of structure to the free-for-all Deathmatch mode, which I welcome. No longer is it just "kill 'em all," but now there's the possible element of "tag" whenever there's an escort mission. Freakin' asshole with a rocket-launcher blowin' up my delivery truck as I pull into the garage...

GTA Race is just fan-freakin' tastic. I knew I was in love during a race full of slow-ass dirt haulers and 18-wheelers that piled up like crazy in the tight corners. Realizing this was a waste of time, I hoped out and grabbed one of the parked cars, zipping around the traffic jam and speedily finishing the first lap. Unfortunately, as I hit the straight-away on my second, all those trucks were barreling my way and proceeded to flatten my car and me inside.  icon_biggrin

There was also the race where I'm steadily creeping up on the 7th place driver who I can see is puttering around on a Faggio and I hear over voice chat, with a Brit accent, "Please don't hit me! Please don't hit me! Please don't hit me!" I start laughing, and as I motor past him I reply "Woulda killed us both," and honk my own Faggio's horn.  icon_lol  Gaming bliss, right there.

I'm looking forward to trying some of the more team-based modes with GTers.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 30, 2008, 01:46:38 PM »

Quote from: jblank on April 30, 2008, 12:39:50 PM

2. When fighting or bowling, the button presses don't seem to always responsive. In particular, the bowling, can someone give me the lowdown on exactly HOW you do this?

3. The manual is a joke.

4. The game definitely is a bit on the dark side, and I did have to amp the brightness control from within the game to the max setting.

5. The text is a bit hard to read and the setting on the cell phone to change it, doesn't seem to be changeable.

Other than those things, the game is off the charts good.

I agree the manual is utterly worthless.  I'm assuming it is so because they're trying to get people to buy the strategy guide, which annoys me even more.

As for setting the large text on the phone, I finally got it to work not by clicking A after selecting large text but by selecting B as if I was backing out of the menu.  If I chose A it wouldn't save the setting.  Seems back asswards, if you ask me.   icon_confused

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 30, 2008, 01:58:13 PM »

I'm going to gloss over the controls for now, as I think everything I feel about them have been covered.  I just wanted to throw my 2c in about the things that make the game for me.

Enviornment & Details

It has been a while since I've played a GTA game.  I played Vice City when it first came out and completely skipped San Andreas.  I have to say, the city as a whole feels much more "real".  For me, the details make it much more personal.  In VC, it felt like the city was there just to have buildings to define the streets and give landmarks so you can find your way around better.  Even then I still kind of ignored most of the buildings, only using them as reference on where to get a sport bike.  This current version feels completely different.  If buildings in VC only existed to define the streets and really didn't feel part of the city, buildings in IV exist to make the city.  Along with that, VC took only a little while to master the roads, streets, and back alleys.  Getting the same familiarity with the new Liberty City seems almost impossible.

The devils in the details.  Knocking over lamp posts leaves a stump that sparks with electricity.  Firehydrants gush with water that actually has force (flipped a lightweight car over as I slowly drove into it).  Building foundations crack after being struck head-on after some "fancy" driving, same thing with the post style barriers.  The weather aspect has been mentioned, and you really have to look to notice all the little things.  It's kind of hard to do because everything that is happening SHOULD be happening during a rain storm.

I can't remember if VC did the following, but it really struck my as I was playing last night.  My car was on fire, mostly because of a lot of "fancy" driving and a few bullets, leaving me driving on 3 rims.  Sparks were flying everywhere and flames were shooting out in almost every direction.  I slowed down and jumped out, running towards a nearby car that I hoped to escape the explosion in.  I opened the door, sat in the drivers seat, but before I had the chance to close the door the other car exploded, and the force ripped the drivers door of my new ride clean off.  I watched it fly accross the busy street, land on the windshield of a SUV, and knock over a pedestrian.  That left me with the "did that just happen" look on my face.

I played a couple hours of MP Cops & Crooks last night, will post more about that later.

Just a little hiccup.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 30, 2008, 02:05:14 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on April 30, 2008, 01:43:50 PM

Aside from the whole "cultivating relationships" thing, stick me in the "same gameplay as GTA3-San Andreas" camp.

That's basically my impression as well.  Now, I haven't actually played San Andreas since it was first released so I'm sure if I were to go back to it now I would find a lot of stuff drastically inferior to GTA4.  But so far GTA4 feels like a small evolutionary step from SA and not a generational leap.  But I'm still definitely in tutorial mode (even after four hours) so I suspect (and hope) that further play will start pointing out some major improvements.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 30, 2008, 02:08:43 PM »

About to leave for my overnight meeting but I managed another couple hours this morning.    Environment is amazing.   I've played a total of 3 hours or so and I haven't even gotten into any real missions that have much to do with crime, and I haven't been near a firearm yet.     I suck at bowling.  I'm pretty good at darts.    

This is definately a great game.   I can't wait to get back tomorrow and put some more time in tomorrow night.    I kinda like the gritty feel of the city and the way they styled the graphics.   I know they are masking the limitations of the current gen systems as far as distance and such... but they do it in a way that makes it seem like they just did it for the style instead of the limitations.  

No problems so far on my PS3.    I'm expecting my 360 rented copy (sorry godhugh) to be here tomorrow when I get home.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 30, 2008, 02:09:45 PM »

Okay, I have a major gripe(s) with the SP. Note that I have not tried the MP yet. The world is a mile wide and paper thin with regards to depth. How do I mean? An example is an early mission:

Nico has to go "rough up a guy in a china shop" so he goes over and talks to the guy, who throws him out. Nico then has to go pick up something and throw it through the china shop window. Fair enough. I run over to a construction site and pick up a brick. I run back to the store and throw it at the door. The owner is standing on the other side. The brick bounces off the glass. I pick it up and throw it again. This time it goes right through the door and lands ON THE OWNER and it doesn't phase him. I go pick up another brick and return and this time I throw it against the main glass window. It bounces off. I pick it up and this time allow for the auto lock-on to guide me and throw it through the window. The owner runs out and it's mission accomplished.

What the fuck is that?

Also, when I chased the guy early on and he exited his vehicle I couldn't find him until I ran back and found some stairs I'd blown past thinking he'd run another way based on the mini-map. Oh. Okay. So this whole game, of which I can "do anything/go anywhere" only works if I complete missions based on the specific criteria set by the developers thereby limiting my imagination?

Rockstar, you fail.

Oh, and after a few more hours the controls on the cars are awful. I stand by what I said earlier comparing them to The Godfather but I realized a while after posting that that I wasn't improving. The cars handle like ass but they sure are quick to take to the air or flip over on a sharp turn. This could well turn into another love-hate relationship and I'm getting too old for stupidity like that in games. I'll keep playing this but all those perfect 10s?

I'm convinced more than ever that each and every one was bought and paid for. Especially Cashwhore who changed their 9.5 to a 10. More later tonight.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 30, 2008, 02:12:10 PM »

It was neat chasing the guy over the roof tops, and I love how you can climb up on stuff.

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 30, 2008, 02:15:13 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 30, 2008, 02:05:14 PM

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on April 30, 2008, 01:43:50 PM

Aside from the whole "cultivating relationships" thing, stick me in the "same gameplay as GTA3-San Andreas" camp.

That's basically my impression as well.  Now, I haven't actually played San Andreas since it was first released so I'm sure if I were to go back to it now I would find a lot of stuff drastically inferior to GTA4.  But so far GTA4 feels like a small evolutionary step from SA and not a generational leap.  But I'm still definitely in tutorial mode (even after four hours) so I suspect (and hope) that further play will start pointing out some major improvements.

I think this is more than an evolutionary leap.   This is a generational leap.     If they drastically changed things too much, it would cease to be GTA IV and become a different game altogether.      Based on my memory of those games, I remember just kinda wandering around destroying the city and thinking that the string of one timed mission after another was exhausting.    This time around I feel like it's wrapped more tightly in a believable network of relationships.   The city is breathing and living.   The interface through the phone -- hell they don't even have a startup menu to speak of -- is brilliant.

In short -- the game makes me want to at least try to keep from running people down and ignoring all traffic laws.   I drive around like I'm driving around a real city so far.    That speaks a lot for the creation this time of a living Liberty City.    

Past games have felt like a city shell with a bunch of missions in it.    This time it feels like a living city that I'm exploring.   I feel poor.   I feel like a nobody.    Hell I had to run from a fist fight a few minutes ago because three of the guy's buddies got up from their table and started beating the crap out of me.    So I sprinted to my car....got the beat down some more as I tried to get into it....backed up and they started running.  I managed to run down one of them badly and clipped another.    A few minutes later an ambulance showed up to treat them.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 30, 2008, 02:15:47 PM »

My impressions are so much more positive than the general vibe so far in this thread, but unfortunately explanations of good impressions take a lot more time to write up for me than writing complaints, so for now I'll just piggyback on other people's efforts.

Quote from: Hiccup on April 30, 2008, 01:58:13 PM

Enviornment & Details

It has been a while since I've played a GTA game.  I played Vice City when it first came out and completely skipped San Andreas.  I have to say, the city as a whole feels much more "real".  For me, the details make it much more personal.  In VC, it felt like the city was there just to have buildings to define the streets and give landmarks so you can find your way around better.  Even then I still kind of ignored most of the buildings, only using them as reference on where to get a sport bike.  This current version feels completely different.  If buildings in VC only existed to define the streets and really didn't feel part of the city, buildings in IV exist to make the city.

I totally agree on the city being more real.  I'm still just in the Queens/Brooklyn area, but it's just incredible how much personality you can see in just those two boroughs.  No matter where I am in Queens/Brooklyn the area seems to be filled with detail and believable surroundings, but each area on the island looks very unique.  In various areas I keep getting this sense that I've seen the neighborhood in some movie--and this is before even getting to Manhattan.

It's the most convincing New York City I've ever seen in a game, yet at the same time it still also feels like the surreal satirical GTA world.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 30, 2008, 02:16:34 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 30, 2008, 01:42:28 PM

If you haven't been to the Rock Star Social Club yet, here's a screenshot I just took of the police blotter to give you an idea of what's inside:

I saw that this morning.  I don't see how only 1 car was stolen yesterday (or today).

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 30, 2008, 02:19:02 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 30, 2008, 02:09:45 PM

Also, when I chased the guy early on and he exited his vehicle I couldn't find him until I ran back and found some stairs I'd blown past thinking he'd run another way based on the mini-map. Oh. Okay. So this whole game, of which I can "do anything/go anywhere" only works if I complete missions based on the specific criteria set by the developers thereby limiting my imagination?

Rockstar, you fail.

Wait a sec.   You were in a footchase with someone, they ducked down a side alley and lost you so that you had to come doubling back, and you think that is unrealistic?      Or maybe I'm interpreting what you were describing wrong.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 30, 2008, 02:23:20 PM »

It's a shame they don't throw some kind of driving school at you right off the bat to help people understand the driving model, because I think the biggest reason for people's complaints is that it's completely different than the GTA3/VC/SA model.  Maybe we should dig up the old Forza 2 driving tips thread, because so far I'm loving the way cars handle.  You actually have a need to feather the gas and brake with more than just the e-brake.  Even in the rusted old clunkers I've been able to have some great car chases weaving in and out of traffic and screeching through the turns.

I never played Saint's Row.  How was its driving model?  More like arcadey PS2 GTAs or more sim-like?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 02:24:55 PM by wonderpug » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 30, 2008, 02:25:48 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on April 30, 2008, 02:15:13 PM

I think this is more than an evolutionary leap.   This is a generational leap.     If they drastically changed things too much, it would cease to be GTA IV and become a different game altogether.      Based on my memory of those games, I remember just kinda wandering around destroying the city and thinking that the string of one timed mission after another was exhausting.    This time around I feel like it's wrapped more tightly in a believable network of relationships.   The city is breathing and living.   The interface through the phone -- hell they don't even have a startup menu to speak of -- is brilliant.

In short -- the game makes me want to at least try to keep from running people down and ignoring all traffic laws.   I drive around like I'm driving around a real city so far.    That speaks a lot for the creation this time of a living Liberty City.     

Past games have felt like a city shell with a bunch of missions in it.    This time it feels like a living city that I'm exploring.   I feel poor.   I feel like a nobody.    Hell I had to run from a fist fight a few minutes ago because three of the guy's buddies got up from their table and started beating the crap out of me.    So I sprinted to my car....got the beat down some more as I tried to get into it....backed up and they started running.  I managed to run down one of them badly and clipped another.    A few minutes later an ambulance showed up to treat them.

See, I feel like San Andreas covered most of that.  At least to the extent that the initial area that CJ started out at was incredibly fleshed out compared to the prior games.  While I didn't care for some of the later developments and areas in SA, I thought they did a wonderful job creating CJ's starting 'hood and making it feel like a real place. Even after 3 years away from the game it made such an impression I could probably start up San Andreas and go right to any location in the starting area without a map. 

GTA4 definitely has some nice interface improvements (like the cellphone) but that's not stuff that we needed another class of hardware for.  They could have done it as far back as GTA3 if they wanted to. 

At this point (and it obviously may change as I get farther), the jump from Vice City to San Andreas feels far more significant than the jump from SA to GTA4. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: