http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 07:19:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GTA4 impressions thread  (Read 73303 times)
happydog
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 29, 2008, 10:39:06 PM »

Played for a few hours now. So far I am happy with it. Nothing outside of what you would expect for a GTA. I actually really like the car handling. It makes driving fun, of course I am sure when I need to get away from someone it will be a different story.

LiveTAG: happydog
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 29, 2008, 10:41:58 PM »

Three and a half hours in the game. Got my girlfriend happy, have been doing fun stuff with the cousin, and oh yeah, stole a police car.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Stealing the police car gets you access to the LCPD computer system!!!

Getting used to the graphics. The nicer cars drive much better and the motorcycle (the chopper) is great stuff, even in the rain.

No freezes on my 360 (crosses fingers, then realizes that might impede the old game play...)

The city is just great. So much more... realistic I guess you would say, than Los Santos. I've been just driving and then running off into allyways, vacant lots, everywhere. It's so very cool.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2008, 11:07:22 PM »

For some reason, I can't get MP working on the PS3. It just tells me that it can't contact the game provider, or some such.

Am I the only one with this issue?

PSN ID: EduardoX
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2008, 11:16:23 PM »

small note for anyone who wants the guide and has a fry's nearby.  you get the guide for $5. 

my small review for this is as follows. 

it's a large chunk of paper mainly dealing with the mainline story missions.  it's formatted as it was for previous versions in that each section of the world is grouped with color coded markings on the side.  this time, they put all of the side missions in the manual in the order they unlock in game.  so far, i haven't read much more than a few pages past where i am in game to see what comes next, and i recommend not doing that as they will reveal game spoilers in the write ups.  it lists girl/friend's likes and dislikes and what you get when you befriend them.  it lists what gameplay facets get introduced. 

the last section outlines mp and gives the locations for the pigeons and all item locations.  usual fare.  depending on your approach and your view on strat guides, this one is good for mission hints, but it doesn't have much in the way of general gameplay advice. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2008, 11:30:35 PM »

The only underwhelming part of this game is the graphics to me, I don't know how some of us are seeing something different than the people saying it looks great. The jaggies are the worst yet I've seen on either system and the blur effect is ass ugly. Many of the textures are quite bland as well.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
depward

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 29, 2008, 11:35:30 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 29, 2008, 11:30:35 PM

The only underwhelming part of this game is the graphics to me, I don't know how some of us are seeing something different than the people saying it looks great. The jaggies are the worst yet I've seen on either system and the blur effect is ass ugly. Many of the textures are quite bland as well.

So you've gone from (PS3 version) looking like crap... to getting the 360 version ("I ended up selling my PS3 copy to my friend so I bought it on the 360. Guess what? It looks great! All the blur and jaggies are gone!") and now back to saying jaggies are bad and the blur effect is "ass ugly"?!

A lawlercoaster of thoughts & emotions in seemingly one day!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 29, 2008, 11:38:57 PM »

Most likely it depends on the TV.  I've only put a very, very short time into it (gotta wait for the family to go to bed) but I thought the image quality (including aliasing) ooked absolutely fine.  The only annoyance so far was an occasional hitch in the framerate. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2008, 11:40:05 PM »

Quote from: depward on April 29, 2008, 11:35:30 PM

So you've gone from (PS3 version) looking like crap... to getting the 360 version ("I ended up selling my PS3 copy to my friend so I bought it on the 360. Guess what? It looks great! All the blur and jaggies are gone!") and now back to saying jaggies are bad and the blur effect is "ass ugly"?!

Compared to how the PS3 version looked on my TV the 360 version looks 10x better but compared to other next-gen games it has some pretty significant graphical shortcomings. I don't see how all those publications could justify rating the graphics a 10...

Sean Lama
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 29, 2008, 11:54:10 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 29, 2008, 11:40:05 PM

Quote from: depward on April 29, 2008, 11:35:30 PM

Compared to how the PS3 version looked on my TV the 360 version looks 10x better but compared to other next-gen games it has some pretty significant graphical shortcomings. I don't see how all those publications could justify rating the graphics a 10...

it's not quite a 10, but it's certainly 9+

the game looks fantastic for an open city, I have no idea what you're complaining about.  you just sound super picky and sensitive to the look of the game I guess
drake113
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 30, 2008, 12:11:55 AM »

I've gotten far enough to unlock the internet (I spent probably an hour just browsing the web) and I'm having a lot of fun with it.  It's not quite living up to the hype (but, really, given the ENORMOUS hype around this release, what could?), but I don't regret plunking down the cash for the CE version (I did get the 1 month of X-Box Live, btw).  Graphics are pretty good, but not as crisp as Burnout: Paradise, and I really like the story so far.  I can only understand about one out of every 10 words Little Jacob says, though.

I suspect that I'll like it a lot more once I open up the other islands, but for now, I can safely say that Cousin Niko coming to Liberty City to live with his cousin is everything Perfect Strangers should have been, if you ask me.

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: April 30, 2008, 12:14:13 AM »

Wow, love the game and I seem to be the only PS3 owner that thinks the graphics are great.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 30, 2008, 12:25:25 AM »

I've just completed five hours in total and 2:46 continue play (on the 360). Again, no freezes. Graphics are, uh, somewhat challenging at times, but only when looking at a distance. They get nice and sharp when you get close. There's some object pop-up if you "sneak" up on something like an elevated train pylon, but it's very minor.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 30, 2008, 12:26:04 AM »

Eduardo-there has been some complaints on the PS3 forums that they cant get into the multiplayer,not sure whats wrong though

EDIT:check front page of Kotaku,they have a report on it

i just did a mission where i had to shoot from my car,i was attracting a lot of attention,and got two star cops all over me,i did the mission so started to run away from the cops...then all of a sudden,HE STARTS WALKING AND MAKES A PHONE CALL..while the cops are still firing at me,i couldnt overide it,and i couldnt run as he was telling the mission giver that the mission was done....very stupid

the story has really opened up now,and Niko is really becoming interesting as well
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 12:27:58 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 30, 2008, 12:45:24 AM »

Quote from: jblank on April 30, 2008, 12:14:13 AM

Wow, love the game and I seem to be the only PS3 owner that thinks the graphics are great.

I think they look fine.  Totally what I expected and they look like the videos.  I don't think they're as awesome as the reviews suggested though.

Having a blast with the game so far.  Really well done.

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2008, 12:51:53 AM »

By the way if anyone wants to see a video comparing the two platforms, there's one here:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/29/gta-iv-comparison-video-between-xbox-360-ps3/

They look 99% identical to me.

gellar
Magic
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 30, 2008, 12:54:32 AM »

I've done everything from clearing the system cache to outputting in SD to unplugging the ethernet cord.

It still randomly hard locks during the game. I just played assassin's creed and bioshock for six hours with no issues.

My inlaws just got their 360 back after it RRoD'd and it happens on that one too.

I'm supposed to have the next four days off work. Maybe I'll just go back in. It's not like I can return this now...
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 30, 2008, 12:57:14 AM »

Oh and my PS3 version has locked up twice in maybe 4 hours of play.  Definitely annoying, but pretty rare.

gellar
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 30, 2008, 12:58:10 AM »

Quote from: Magic on April 30, 2008, 12:54:32 AM

I've done everything from clearing the system cache to outputting in SD to unplugging the ethernet cord.

It still randomly hard locks during the game. I just played assassin's creed and bioshock for six hours with no issues.

My inlaws just got their 360 back after it RRoD'd and it happens on that one too.

I'm supposed to have the next four days off work. Maybe I'll just go back in. It's not like I can return this now...

maybe a faulty copy/disc?...was the disc you used in your in-laws 360 the same copy?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Magic
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 30, 2008, 01:14:41 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 30, 2008, 12:58:10 AM

Quote from: Magic on April 30, 2008, 12:54:32 AM

maybe a faulty copy/disc?...was the disc you used in your in-laws 360 the same copy?

I've tried with two discs from a gamestop in my area, and another from a Best Buy some distance away in the hopes a different production run went to BB.

No dice.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 30, 2008, 01:19:48 AM »

Honestly my chief complaint about the graphics is how blurry things look during the day, outdoor areas at night and indoor locations look fine but during the day there's some strange bloom or HDR effect that is way overdone. I've seen this mentioned by enough people in this forum and others to know its not just me being overly sensitive to it, I think some of you are just better at overlooking it or maybe your sitting far enough away from your TV to not notice it. Its keeping me from becoming as immersed in the city as I was hoping. Mass Effect, for all it's technical flaws, did much better.

The gameplay itself is great, I love the characters and their dialogue. The controls after about 4 hours still feel a bit clunky and sluggish, both on foot and driving. Far from bad though. I can't help but wonder what the true incentive was for magazines to give a perfect score to this game when I think its pretty easy to see that there is room for improvement. I understand rating the overall experience a perfect score, but I don't see how anyone can argue that the graphics and controls deserve it as well.

Sean Lama
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 30, 2008, 01:33:12 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 30, 2008, 01:19:48 AM

Honestly my chief complaint about the graphics is how blurry things look during the day, outdoor areas at night and indoor locations look fine but during the day there's some strange bloom or HDR effect that is way overdone. I've seen this mentioned by enough people in this forum and others to know its not just me being overly sensitive to it, I think some of you are just better at overlooking it or maybe your sitting far enough away from your TV to not notice it. Its keeping me from becoming as immersed in the city as I was hoping. Mass Effect, for all it's technical flaws, did much better.

The gameplay itself is great, I love the characters and their dialogue. The controls after about 4 hours still feel a bit clunky and sluggish, both on foot and driving. Far from bad though. I can't help but wonder what the true incentive was for magazines to give a perfect score to this game when I think its pretty easy to see that there is room for improvement. I understand rating the overall experience a perfect score, but I don't see how anyone can argue that the graphics and controls deserve it as well.

well duh, of course HDR is part of the engine...pretty much every current-gen game employs that tech to some degree.  it's one thing to say you don't like HDR from an artistic point of view, that's fine.  but that's really just a personal opinion, that's not a blemish on the technical merits of the engine itself.  I know a lot of people who dislike HDR in lots of other games too, but you don't knock a game down just for that.  it would be nice if the effect was an option you could turn off though

and yes, I can honestly argue with you that the graphics deserve high scores, I truly think the game looks amazing.  whether it's a '10' or 9.5, it doesn't really matter.  is there really that much difference between that?  don't get too caught up in the view that a '10' should mean a perfect game, I don't define it that way.  it just means it's a great game

one thing I will agree with you on is that the controls on foot are a bit sluggish.  not driving though, I think the driving controls are totally perfect.  again, as others have stated this is not meant to be a total arcade racer anymore
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 30, 2008, 01:34:11 AM »

Quote from: gellar on April 30, 2008, 12:51:53 AM

By the way if anyone wants to see a video comparing the two platforms, there's one here:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/29/gta-iv-comparison-video-between-xbox-360-ps3/

They look 99% identical to me.

gellar

Very interesting. That video confirms what I'd read in reviews, that the 360 version is brighter with more vivid colors, and the PS3 has better AA.

gellar, in your other post you said the PS3 version locked up twice on you, do you have the 60gb PS3?

Right now, I'm leaning a touch towards getting the 360 version.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 30, 2008, 01:37:52 AM »

Yes, 60GB PS3 here.

gellar
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 30, 2008, 01:38:38 AM »

I don't know why you are complaining. The graphics aren't next gen worthy, but they look great on my TV. Sorry, I wish it looked better for ya. Want a link to where to buy my TV?
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: April 30, 2008, 01:55:14 AM »

Well, I rented it.  And I am glad I did.  I can see the reasons why many like it, but I see no way on earth this game could deserve a perfect 10 in EVERY category as some are giving it.  Those reviewers must have the shortest memories of any human on earth.  Have they forgotten CoD4, Gears, Bioshock, Assassins Creed, etc etc?  All of those games had, imo, arguably better, sharper graphics and in some much better animations.  As for the gameplay, I thought it was pretty cool how the story and gameplay interact.  I would definitely give the game a 10 for that, but the clunky driving and character movement left me very unimpressed and pretty much sealed the 'no buy' for me.  Just didn't jive with me.  But that is a personal thing.  As for the cover system, I felt like I never had any control on just WHERE he would seek cover.  Most times he just leaps into some cover that I wouldn't have chosen or even saw as possible.  Didn't like that much.  And lastly, it is just to foul mouthed for my tastes with the game serving up EVERY cuss word I have ever heard in the first 20 minutes of gameplay.  I heard, f*ck, c*nt, b*tch, sh*t, and so on and so forth right off the bat.  Maybe that is realistic in some seedy underworld, but certainly not in mine.  Just don't think it's necessary in games I play.  Can think of many many games that I thought were among the best I ever played and they never had any, or at most a meager spattering, of that.  Again, that is a personal choice. 

At any rate, I am returning the game after only one night because the desire to ever play it again is just not there.  Eagerly awaiting MGS4 and Star Wars Force Unleashed now.   But like I said, I can see why many would dig it, and for you guys, have a blast exploring Liberty City.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 30, 2008, 02:01:21 AM »

I dunno this is one amazing piece of work...the online play on Live is just awesome! 

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 30, 2008, 02:21:39 AM »

Quote from: Roscoe on April 30, 2008, 12:25:25 AM

There's some object pop-up if you "sneak" up on something like an elevated train pylon,

why in god's name are you sneaking up on elevated train pylons??  do you find that approaching them any other way scares them off?

Tongue

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 30, 2008, 02:25:01 AM »

my 60 GB has locked up a couple times too. It actually recovered from it once when I left it for a couple of minutes so I'm not sure what's going on.

I'm not really a GTA person but I wanted to give this one a shot. Neko is a much more sympathetic character than they had in previous games. They have done a much better job wrapping the missions into a more cinematic feel. a couple hours in and I'm sold on the game.

I think the things people are complaining about with the graphics are just a necessary evil with an open world game at this point. It's miles above oblivion so I think they hit their mark.

so far I'm impressed, and I wasn't really planning on picking it up.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 30, 2008, 02:29:10 AM »

I put in a marathon 6 hours today and a couple last night as well and no lock ups so far. 

On the 360 i do notice the jaggies on the cars I'm driving.  it's actually pretty pronounced.  however, it's not really diminishing my fun with the game.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 30, 2008, 02:36:38 AM »

Quote from: QP on April 30, 2008, 02:01:21 AM

I dunno this is one amazing piece of work...the online play on Live is just awesome! 

+ a bazillion!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 30, 2008, 02:43:20 AM »

I need to get online tomorrow night with it.  what's the best way to get into a game with people on your friend's list?  can you invite people from your list like you do with rainbow six or ghost recon?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 30, 2008, 02:46:36 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 30, 2008, 02:43:20 AM

can you invite people from your list like you do with rainbow six or ghost recon?

yep.  I may play a bit more tonight, but first I need to sober up a bit and eat something.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 30, 2008, 02:55:25 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 30, 2008, 02:43:20 AM

I need to get online tomorrow night with it.  what's the best way to get into a game with people on your friend's list?  can you invite people from your list like you do with rainbow six or ghost recon?

The cool thing is you can bring up your Friends List off the cell phone and it has a IV icon next to everyone on it that is playing GTA right then.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 30, 2008, 02:55:33 AM »

Well, got 2-3 hours in on the 360 version tonight.

First off, I've had no lockups, and the graphics look great on my 42" plasma (720p). It's not the best graphics I've seen on the 360, but they look fine to me. I do understand why people would be bothered by the HDR/bloom - they did overdo it a touch in areas, but I found the more I played the less it bothered me.

I've had absolutely no problem at all with the driving. Maybe it's because the last driving game I played was Forza, but to me the cars handle just fine. I was fully expecting, based on comments in these threads, to have a hideous time, but I jumped right into it. No, you can't just mash the accelerator and take 90 degree turns like a cartoon character, but I always hated that in a game anyway. With this more realistic atmosphere, I think the change to more realistic handling cars was a great one.

It's still far too early for me to be blown away by the gameplay/missions. So far they have all been very simple FedEx type things, and I don't even have a weapon yet. For someone who had never played the series before, I could see the sluggish pace at the start turning off some people. However, that's part of what makes these types of games so great - the ability to work your way up from some broke thug to a sharp-dressed criminal kingpin.

The most fun I had all night was going into a bar, getting hammered, then deciding I was going to steal a car right in front of a cop. The drunk driving effect is INSANE, and I was ramming into stuff right and left hauling ass trying to get away while my wife was screaming "GO! GO! GO!" at the TV. I finally ended the chase by accidentally driving off the top of an overpass, jumping out of my car, and staggering into an alley. Good times.  icon_biggrin

Conclusion: very, very positive so far. However, I'm leaving to go out of town next week, so I'm trying not to get *too* attached to the game before I go! P.S. Sorry PeteRock for not responding to your invitation, but it was getting late and I wanted to type up some impressions before I went to bed!
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 30, 2008, 02:57:23 AM »

I am now convinced that the way vehicles handle in the game is excellent. I'm weaving in and out of traffic with ease now. The controls while on foot still suffer from the same issues previous GTA games had, the biggest one being that you can't walk backwards, you have to turn 180 degrees and then start running in the opposite direction.

The "edginess" also feels forced. I get it, you guys can get away with tons of swearwords and 'controversial' set-pieces. Too bad the game doesn't need it. The dialog would be much smoother and less jarring if they weren't dropping f-bombs after every second word.

Still, I'm about five hours in and I'm loving every minute of it. Had to force myself to put it down as I should really be heading to bed soon. A 'sick' day well spent.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 30, 2008, 03:01:01 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 30, 2008, 02:55:33 AM

First off, I've had no lockups, and the graphics look great on my 42" plasma (720p). It's not the best graphics I've seen on the 360, but they look fine to me. I do understand why people would be bothered by the HDR/bloom - they did overdo it a touch in areas, but I found the more I played the less it bothered me.

I definitely noticed that the graphics (specifically the HDR/bloom effect) bothered me less and less as I played the game more, and now I don't even notice it, it's just part of the world. To be honest, I'm not sure what everyone was expecting graphics-wise. This is a fully functioning city rendered in 3D, with minimal loading times. There has to be a trade-off in graphical quality to achieve a playable framerate. I'm actually amazed a game this big can look so good.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 30, 2008, 03:21:41 AM »

I'm through Vlad at this point and having a good time, with no freeze-ups. That said, I haven't been convinced that this adds that much to what Mafia and GTA3 had in games. Better graphics, some extra reactions/interaction from random people for atmosphere, but missions, driving, etc don't seem revolutionary.

My one real complaint is that if you have a game saved, then do a mission, or in my case quit during a mission, it removes your mission status from the saved game so you have to redo some stuff, even if you load the old saved game. Annoyed me enough to have me stop for the night.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 03:23:20 AM by Azhag » Logged
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 30, 2008, 03:24:31 AM »

I've only played through the first few missions so I'm not ready to state a final opinion. I hate the driving mechanics and think the cars feel clunky. But I was sitting here thinking about it and you know what driving game it reminds me of? "The Godfather." None of the vehicles there (1920s-1940s models) handled well because of the realistic nature. You had to work at the driving to become proficient and work longer still to become good. This game handles driving EXACTLY like that and I'm irritated now because I know it's going to take a while to get the feel of that back. Once I do though I'll navigate streets with ease, but for starters it sucks. Nico feels like I'm pushing a stone up a hill whenever he's walking. I can appreciate adding "heft" to a man but sweet Jesus, I feel like Sisyphus over here.

In no way does this game feel revolutionary so all the hyperbole from those fools at IGN/Gamespot/et al can take a breather. It does feel evolutionary though and that's a sharp distinction. It's entirely a refinement on the game play and condensing everything into a simple one-stop-shop interface with the cell phone is brilliant in how functional, yet unobtrusive, it is. Kudos for that. Also, the graphics get a resounding meh from me. Were I grading the graphics I'd hit it with an 85 right off the top. It's nice, but far from spectacular. Also the clipping is horrendous whenever Nico is on foot. I also walked into the hospital and walked through it all. For a game that's supposed to be "so alive it's OMG scary!" the buildings certainly are empty. Overall, I'd say it's the next GTA game and leave it simply at that. It's more of the same. Exactly. More. Of. The. Same.

Although I did love the opening cinematic which perfectly setup Nico's character and entire backstory while nicely incorporating the credits.

More impressions later.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 30, 2008, 03:33:11 AM »

From what I've read a lot of the "revolutionary" talk has been centered on the multiplayer. I haven't had a chance to play it myself yet, but from impressions I've seen it certainly sounds fairly groundbreaking.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 30, 2008, 03:42:04 AM »

Got about an hour in tonight.    Unfortunately I have to go BACK out of town tomorrow so I'll be stuck at an hour until Thursday.   So far it seems it's an amazing game and I've JUST scratched the surface.   The city does have a living feel to it... and yes there is haze in the distance but we all don't yet have supercomputers to handle a completely no load open world with no haze or popup.    A decade from now probably....

Anyway.. the story and feel of the city is great.    I'm loving the phone.   

OH...and just in case anyone wondered --   I got the PS3 version from Amazon.com, and I just checked gamefly and I was lucky enough to get the 360 version rented.   It should be here by the time I get back in town on Thursday.    I can then do a CLOSE comparison by getting Nikko to stand in the same place or do the same thing and switch back and forth on my TV to do a comparison.   I'll also be able to do multiplayer with those of you on the 360 version.   thumbsup
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: