http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 07:49:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GTA4 impressions thread  (Read 74230 times)
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2008, 06:30:17 PM »

I got the free month in my CE as well.

I'm trying 720p to see if the game looks better. I have been seeing the blurry and jaggies in ordinary movement, not in cut scenes.

[update] Nope, 720p doesn't seem to look any better than 1080p
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 06:36:24 PM by Roscoe » Logged

XBL gamertag: jztemple
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2008, 06:33:39 PM »

Ah, yes, I forgot how the helicopter actually spawned INSIDE THE GROUND thus not allowing the "crooks" to get away in the Cops 'n Crooks multiplayer.  During my confusion at being where I needed to be to escape and not being able to get into the helicopter, I was gunned down from behind.  But anyway.

Put more time into it today.  I also had sex in the game for the first time.  "TELL ME SOMETHING INTERESTING!!" 

The graphics were less shocking today...but good lord, there are some hideous last-gen textures everywhere.  Maybe the weird painting/blurry/messy look is to help cover some of that up?

And there are bugs/glitches aplenty.  I drove a car, think it was called a Uranus, in which the wheels clipped through the road nearly the entire time.  It was really distracting.

Gunplay is okay, but seriously, it's basically True Crime minus the "Matrix"-y slow-down effect.  Haven't messed with taking cover during a gunfight, so we'll see how that works.  Hand-to-hand is still a dull, sloppy experience.

And I like how they *wanted* to put some weight on the main character, but it's so weird having to take these wide turns even while walking or jogging with Niko.

Gotta get to work soon, but I'll be giving MP a whirl tonight, for those PS3 folk who have the game also.  I'll be ready to go around 11pm PST.

TheMissingLink on PSN
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2008, 06:35:55 PM »

I got a free month in my non-CE copy.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2008, 06:37:42 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on April 29, 2008, 06:33:39 PM

I'll be ready to go around 11pm PST.

man, even if I had the PS3 version I'd never get to play with you west coasters and your late hours  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2008, 06:40:43 PM »

I got a lot of hateful IMs last night cause I was playing at 7pmEST and I'm not even a GTA fan  Tongue

Ok, maybe I was drunk or sleepy or something last night but I thought the graphics looked very nice on my 1080p TV.  I might have to re-evaluate again based on the comments so far.  I got bored of San Andreas in the 1st hour but so far I'm still really enjoying GTA4 SP.  No idea if it will hold up, none of the GTAs ever have for me.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2008, 06:41:19 PM »

Has anyone checked out the stat tracking on socialclub yet? Is it akin to the bungie site?
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2008, 06:51:31 PM »

The graphics were less shocking today...but good lord, there are some hideous last-gen textures everywhere.  Maybe the weird painting/blurry/messy look is to help cover some of that up?

Honesly I don't think the game is supposed to look like this, I think its doing what KG said and rendering at a lower resolution than it is supposed to. Just now I took my first taxi ride and you know the center dash where you choose your destination? All the destinations in red, like the bowling alley, had extremely blurry text. I'm going to take some pics with my digital cam and show you guys or email Rockstar, this isn't right. I exchanged my copy already for a new one and I have the same problem, I'm receiving the 360 version from GameFly today so I'll be able to compare. I honestly think it's a hardware issue because I had the exact same problem with Rainbow Six: Vegas on the PS3, EXACT same blurry/jaggy look.

Aside from these graphical issues I am still managing to fall in love with the game, superb characters, dialogue, and voice acting.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2008, 06:54:48 PM »

And there are bugs/glitches aplenty.  I drove a car, think it was called a Uranus, in which the wheels clipped through the road nearly the entire time.  It was really distracting.

Gunplay is okay, but seriously, it's basically True Crime minus the "Matrix"-y slow-down effect.  Haven't messed with taking cover during a gunfight, so we'll see how that works.  Hand-to-hand is still a dull, sloppy experience.

None of this is screaming 'buy me!' at this time.  I was gonna go out at lunch today and pick up my copy but never even left work. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2008, 07:02:43 PM »

Can anyone compare it to Godfather? i know that GF is derivative of GTA, but comparisons still appreciated...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2008, 07:09:18 PM »

CE Items Impressions:

duffel bag-  very light weight, probably perfect as a gym bag for light clothes.

Safety deposit box-  lightweight metal-  wouldn't keep anyone out for long.

Key Ring - Basically the Rockstar Logo in metal.

Art Book - Hardcover, very quick read.  No spoilers that I saw.

Soundtrack - I was hoping they'd have at least the rap song from the initial trailer in it, but they have some other song from the same guy.

Overall all a big hearty 'meh'.  Reminds me why I usually skip CE's.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2008, 07:20:12 PM »

I've put over 5 hours into it and haven't had any major issues, aside from an ambulance getting "stuck" on a light pole.  I'm playing at 1080p and the graphics look very good, save for a few jaggies and that horrible full-screen-glow effect.  I hate it with a passion, but it looks like I'm stuck with it in GTA IV.  The weather effects can make things look almost too realistic at times, I think that may be the cause of some of the graphical oddities people are describing.  I thought something was wrong as well, only to realize it was just a hazy day and was supposed to be hard to see.  At the same time I remember walking out of a building and into a cool, calm night.  Everything looked fantastic, crisp, and clear.  After seeing that I'm convinced they just overdid a bit on the weather and sun effects.  I've also taken the cab ride Ridah mentioned, and don't remember having the same problems he described.  I will look again and make sure.

Everything seems to be more realistic this time around, and that goes for driving and movement.  Niko is a bigger guy and it shows when you try and move him around, the same goes with the cars.  I thought the driving was just plain messed up, until I switched to smaller and lighter cars.  Now I can weave in and out of traffic fairly easy, although turning corners at high speeds is still proving difficult.  What little gun play I've messed with seems fairly solid, for what it is.  The cover system seems interesting, but I haven't really used it that much yet.

Some highlights:
- A bum coming up and punching Niko in the mouth, only to be chased by an overweight beat cop around the block several times
- Ramming into something at high speed, only to watch Niko fly out of the windshield in a hail of glass
- Being approached by 3 bare-fisted thugs wanting to beat Niko's face in, only to have him whip out his pistol and shoot them down ala Indiana Jones
- The banter between Niko, his cousin, employers, and friends and how it's different:  I did one mission twice because I forgot to save, when I picked the guy up the conversation he had with Niko was completely different
- Having Niko pick up his lady friend and listen to her comment on how it was cute that he was still wearing the same clothes as last time, she liked that in a man
- Same situation with new clothes and a different car, she commented on all of it
- The beat cop that looks, sounds, and acts exactly like Sgt. Al Powell from the Die Hard series

glyc

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2008, 07:41:40 PM »

Alright, I'm a couple of hours into it. Here's some impressions.

The game is fan-fucking-tastic. Bottom line. I know it's only been a couple of missions, but it's everything I was expecting. There are so many details in the game, I don't even know where to start. Little things like the radio being heard faintly when you step outside of the car. I went bowling with my "girlfriend". I played darts with my cousin. I took my girlfriend out for drinks and then had to avoid cops as I drunkenly drove her home. She then proceeded to thank me by inviting me up to her apartment.  icon_wink

The cars feel right to me, you can't hold the accelerator to the ground and expect to make 90 degree turns. I haven't had a problem, and actually found myself obeying traffic signals for the most part. There was traffic on the toll bridge both ways and I was stuck there cursing the fact that I was stopped on the bridge for a good minute before I remembered that this was a GTA game. I promptly "forced" myself through the gridlock.

I have spent 20 minutes checking out the subway system.

I spent about 10 minutes in the clothing store trying to figure out what I should wear for my first date. I went with the jeans and a leather jacket.

I got kicked out of the strip club for trying to touch the talent.  ninja

A couple of annoying things have slipped in though.
- The whole city isn't unlocked right off the bat. I wanted to take my cousin to the strip club in the northern part of the city. I thought it would be fun to only walk and/or subway it over there. Unfortunately, to get there by subway you need to go to the other islands, and apparently all the trains hit the end of their route at the stop just before the other islands. So I was forced to drive. Apparently the rest of the population has the same problem as me because the toll bridge was jammed.
- I still don't know how to hail a cab. The game probably told me, but I must have missed it. I only seem to be stealing the cars. I thought you could call them on your cellphone? No clue so far.
- I got arrested for rear-ending a cop car. I was stuck in traffic (again) on the toll bridge and I rolled a bit too far forward and *nudged* the cop car in front of me. The officer jumped out, fired a couple of rounds into my car and then promptly arrested me. A little bit of an overreaction.
- Controlling the main character is a bit jerky, but I'm slowly getting used to it.

I also have no idea what to do next. I've completed the first handful of "intro" missions and I've spent the last half hour hanging out at bars with my cousin or taking out the girlfriend. I need to figure out how to get the main storyline moving again.

If you are a fan of the GTA series, get this game. I don't see how you can be disappointed. There is so much to do outside of the main game I could probably play for days without even touching the main story. The graphics are very nice, although the weather effects are overdone.

Two hours in I give it 5 out of 5. Hopefully it will hold up as I play it more and more.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 07:45:19 PM by JayDee » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2008, 07:52:34 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on April 29, 2008, 07:41:40 PM

- I still don't know how to hail a cab. The game probably told me, but I must have missed it. I only seem to be stealing the cars. I thought you could call them on your cellphone? No clue so far.

Left bumper hails a nearby cab, then you hold Y to get into the cab instead of steal it.  From what I read, this stuff should be appearing in the contextual action corner of the screen when cabs drive by.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2008, 07:54:59 PM »

JayDee to hail a cab hold L1 when you see one, the taxi driver with acknowledge you and you can enter the same way you do as when you are stealing a car.

This day has turned out to be a disaster for me, the 360 version didn't arrive from GameFly like I was expecting it to so I've been calling all the GameStops in my area to see if I can get a manager to budge about letting me exchange the PS3 version for the 360 version and none of them are willing to do it. I was pissed off earlier when one of the managers actually suggested I trade in the game for $36 and put it towards a 360 version, what an asshole. I don't see what the big deal is about letting me exchange for the 360 version, when I was a store manager there I would have gladly helped someone out who was in my boat.

Sean Lama
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2008, 07:56:14 PM »

Got a live card with my non ce copy picked it up at Bestbuy.  Played for about 2 hrs so far no lockups some minors popups nothing major.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2008, 07:58:27 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 29, 2008, 07:54:59 PM

This day has turned out to be a disaster for me, the 360 version didn't arrive from GameFly like I was expecting it to so I've been calling all the GameStops in my area to see if I can get a manager to budge about letting me exchange the PS3 version for the 360 version and none of them are willing to do it. I was pissed off earlier when one of the managers actually suggested I trade in the game for $36 and put it towards a 360 version, what an asshole. I don't see what the big deal is about letting me exchange for the 360 version, when I was a store manager there I would have gladly helped someone out who was in my boat.

I may have missed a previous post or something, but why are you trying to exchange it for the 360 version?  MP?  Just curious...
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2008, 07:59:39 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on April 29, 2008, 06:54:48 PM

None of this is screaming 'buy me!' at this time.  I was gonna go out at lunch today and pick up my copy but never even left work.

+1... now that the hype's dissipating a bit, it's sounding less'n'less 'greatest game ever!' & more'n'more 'latest/greatest gta!', which is fine, but a lot less tempting to a non-gta fan...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Magic
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2008, 08:16:56 PM »

go to target. Tell them it was a gift and it's for the wrong console. even without a gift receipt they'll do it.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2008, 08:19:04 PM »

Quote from: Magic on April 29, 2008, 08:16:56 PM

go to target. Tell them it was a gift and it's for the wrong console. even without a gift receipt they'll do it.

Hasn't Target revised their return policy to require a receipt?  I can't recall, but know that some coworkers have run into exchange problems at the local Targets in Arizona.  But, hopefully because the game is a new release they'll at least be willing to give you store credit, which will cover repurchasing the game for 360.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2008, 08:20:26 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 29, 2008, 08:19:04 PM

Hasn't Target revised their return policy to require a receipt?  I can't recall, but know that some coworkers have run into exchange problems at the local Targets in Arizona.  But, hopefully because the game is a new release they'll at least be willing to give you store credit, which will cover repurchasing the game for 360.

I think it depends to what Target you go and who you end up dealing with at the counter.  Target usually has a pretty liberal return policy.  And if that doesn't work, there's always Wal-Mart.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 29, 2008, 08:21:03 PM »

With all my somewhat negative impressions in my first few hours of playing, I'm at work and dying to play it right now.  So that says something....

TheMissingLink on PSN
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 29, 2008, 08:22:14 PM »

Picked up a copy at Target at lunch, regular edition.  DAMN I want to play so bad!!!  Gonna have to wait until tomorrow or Thursday for impressions frown
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 29, 2008, 08:22:48 PM »

Yeah Target's gone completely gestapo on their return policy, as my wife and I got to learn first hand when we tried to return some wedding gifts.  They won't even return sealed items for store credit without a receipt if they're over $20.

Best Buy's a bit more reasonable, but I don't know how they'll handle an opened copy of the game.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2008, 08:25:56 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 29, 2008, 08:22:48 PM

Best Buy's a bit more reasonable, but I don't know how they'll handle an opened copy of the game.

Usually they'll only exchange it for the exact same item. 

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 29, 2008, 08:31:13 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on April 29, 2008, 07:59:39 PM

+1... now that the hype's dissipating a bit, it's sounding less'n'less 'greatest game ever!' & more'n'more 'latest/greatest gta!', which is fine, but a lot less tempting to a non-gta fan...

To me it's like the jump from Call of Duty 2 to Call of Duty 4. CoD 4 is not the 'greatest game ever' but it's a significantly superior product from CoD 2. However, if you don't like CoD 2 then you probably won't enjoy CoD 4 as much as everyone else.

It's the same way with this game. It's not for everyone, but so far I feel it's a gigantic leap over the previous GTA games. I actually feel like I'm cruising around New York. There's so much to do, so many details. When you break down the gameplay to its most basic components, it's still a GTA game, nothing has changed in that respect. I'm not sure why people expected this game to transcend genres. If you don't like the open-ended GTA-style crime-world then you will not like this game either.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2008, 08:34:34 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 29, 2008, 04:48:35 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on April 29, 2008, 04:45:53 PM

For the PS3 lockups, Eurogamer says that Rockstar says that if you get the lockups you should delete the game data and saves and reinstall and it should fix the problem.

Oh well that's easy enough.  Nifty.

gellar

Quote from the Rockstar customer service rep re: hard drive wipe

I asked him if wiping the harddrive and reinstalling the PS3 version would help, as seen on the PS forums, he said I could try but that he hadn't heard of it helping a single person.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2008, 08:36:59 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on April 29, 2008, 08:31:13 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on April 29, 2008, 07:59:39 PM

To me it's like the jump from Call of Duty 2 to Call of Duty 4. CoD 4 is not the 'greatest game ever' but it's a significantly superior product from CoD 2. However, if you don't like CoD 2 then you probably won't enjoy CoD 4 as much as everyone else.

It's the same way with this game. It's not for everyone, but so far I feel it's a gigantic leap over the previous GTA games. I actually feel like I'm cruising around New York. There's so much to do, so many details. When you break down the gameplay to its most basic components, it's still a GTA game, nothing has changed in that respect. I'm not sure why people expected this game to transcend genres. If you don't like the open-ended GTA-style crime-world then you will not like this game either.

I don't even know why I'm still at work.  I've been doing nothing but reading and participating in the various GTA IV threads out of sheer excitement and to help pass the time while struggling through the workday, but if I'm not actually working and could instead be using this time to play the damn game, I should probably just forget the charade and get the hell out of <<end of line>>

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2008, 08:38:11 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 29, 2008, 08:36:59 PM

I don't even know why I'm still at work.  I've been doing nothing but reading and participating in the various GTA IV threads out of sheer excitement and to help pass the time while struggling through the workday, but if I'm not actually working and could instead be using this time to play the damn game, I should probably just forget the charade and get the hell out of <<end of line>>

If that is indeed the case, why do I still see you online, Pete?   icon_twisted
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2008, 08:45:19 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 29, 2008, 08:19:04 PM

Target (at least around here) requires your driver's license information to do a return without a receipt.  Then you get put on "the list" and you get two of these per year before you can't return things without receipts. 
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2008, 08:48:47 PM »

Ok, so I have figured out the game only looks crappy when it is bright daylight in the game.  It just has this weird look.  Looks great otherwise.

Me and a friend did multiplayer in Free Mode.  We had so many moments in just the brief hour we played that we would consider "classic."  We kept laughing at the crazy stuff we were doing.  Multiplayer is going to be a blast and I can't wait to play with you guys.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2008, 08:54:43 PM »

I ended up selling my PS3 copy to my friend so I bought it on the 360. Guess what? It looks great! All the blur and jaggies are gone!

Sean Lama
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2008, 09:00:20 PM »

wow,really Ridah?..thats wierd,that the PS3 looks that different..guess its what was said about the 630p thing being upscaled..still,i would be pretty pissed off if i was a ps3 player and i had some beef with the visuals

anyway-i have the LIVE month card as well,if someone didnt get it in their GTA,and want it,i will be happy to give them the code(as i have alredy paid for the year).....just one thing though,i am in the UK,and i have no idea if that effect any codes for say,North America

not sure how we can do it,if there is more than one person who wants the code,so fight it out between yerselves

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2008, 09:03:06 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 29, 2008, 08:38:11 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on April 29, 2008, 08:36:59 PM

If that is indeed the case, why do I still see you online, Pete?   icon_twisted

At that point I was actually walking out of my office but never made it past my door.  Fucking responsibilities and actually caring about what I do.  I'm such a sucker.  Now I am leaving.  Seriously.  No, really.  See you guys online!

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 29, 2008, 09:10:50 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 29, 2008, 09:03:06 PM

At that point I was actually walking out of my office but never made it past my door.  Fucking responsibilities and actually caring about what I do.  I'm such a sucker.  Now I am leaving.  Seriously.  No, really.  See you guys online!

That silly little green dot always gives you away.  Don't be ashamed to be a slave to the grind like the rest of us!  biggrin
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 29, 2008, 09:18:34 PM »

I've played about 2:14 hours so far, no problems. Longest continuous play was just over an hour. I'm getting used to the graphics and the driving. And I found I good way to get the police pissed at you....

Spoiler for Hiden:
drive out on the airport runway!!! Four stars in a hurry!!!

Also just took my first "hurry" cab ride. Cool....
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 09:22:03 PM by Roscoe » Logged

XBL gamertag: jztemple
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 29, 2008, 09:37:03 PM »

pencil marks on the fold out map

i was on teh ps3 forums and someone mentioned that there were pencil marks on their maps..everyone checked,as well as me and sure enough,they are there,small grey filled in circles,one on each island

on the furthest right there is one at the corner of Dillon street/Montauk ave

the middle island its at the corner of emerald st/Bismarck ave

and on the furthest left island,there is one on the corner of Odhner Ave/Traeger rd

can one of you guys check if the small pencil marks are on your map as well,looks like it has been done with pencil after the map was printed...i am gonna go there in the game and see if anything is there

EDIT:well,they havent been added afterwards anyway,i have an eraser,and i tried gently to rub the mark off,and was having none of it

so,i am guessing the marks have been addec to add to the feel that its meant to be a real map,but why only those three very small circles?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 09:41:03 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 29, 2008, 10:09:23 PM »

Well, I just loaded up the 360 version and made sure I could get through the intro.  I was able to and am now at the apartment.

I haven't really played a GTA game before (just a little hear and there), nor did I read any previews on this one, but I must say, the dialog is a bit embarrassing.  It's shock for shock's sake, it seems, and doesn't seem to be pulled off well.  For example, Goodfellas is one of my favorite movies and I am fine with the language in it.  I think the difference is that the actors in that film made it seem believeable that every italian mobster just talked that way.  It wasn't treated as a big deal, and so I fell into it.  Here, I think the acting just isn't there.  Of course I am only 5 minutes into it.  Just adding my .02 regarding the controversy issue. 

Don't get wrong, I think it will be funny and all, but I just won't be playing it around my daughter at all.  It will be an "after bedtime" game.  Plus, I guess I was hoping it was more along the lines of the game Mafia acting/story-wise.  I thought that game was excellent.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 29, 2008, 10:11:41 PM »

Quote from: Travis on April 29, 2008, 10:09:23 PM

Well, I just loaded up the 360 version and made sure I could get through the intro.  I was able to and am now at the apartment.

I haven't really played a GTA game before (just a little hear and there), nor did I read any previews on this one, but I must say, the dialog is a bit embarrassing.  It's shock for shock's sake, it seems, and doesn't seem to be pulled off well.  For example, Goodfellas is one of my favorite movies and I am fine with the language in it.  I think the difference is that the actors in that film made it seem believeable that every italian mobster just talked that way.  It wasn't treated as a big deal, and so I fell into it.  Here, I think the acting just isn't there.  Of course I am only 5 minutes into it.  Just adding my .02 regarding the controversy issue. 

Don't get wrong, I think it will be funny and all, but I just won't be playing it around my daughter at all.  It will be an "after bedtime" game.  Plus, I guess I was hoping it was more along the lines of the game Mafia acting/story-wise.  I thought that game was excellent.

I don't really remember there being much in the way of shocking dialogue in the first 5 minutes.  I'm not sure why you thought you would ever be playing this game in front of your daughter.

Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 29, 2008, 10:26:22 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 29, 2008, 10:11:41 PM

I don't really remember there being much in the way of shocking dialogue in the first 5 minutes.  I'm not sure why you thought you would ever be playing this game in front of your daughter.

First, I said "around" not "in front".  I didn't think I would play it IN FRONT of her, but if she is in another room I figured it would be alright.  At this point, like I said, I will just keep to when she sleeping.  I wouldn't have done that with Gears of War, Max Payne, or Mafia.  I wasn't ragging on it, per se, just giving my impression from someone who hasn't really played a GTA title before and ignored all previews and such.
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 29, 2008, 10:27:15 PM »

Just got home with my copy (for 360) and the game looks fanfuckingtastic, only complaint is the minimap is too small. Other than that I am excited to play more!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: