http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 10:49:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GTA4 impressions thread  (Read 73724 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« on: April 29, 2008, 06:24:07 AM »

ok people. you know the drill.  that other thread has become a political diatribe for and against sex in games, the other other thread is mostly just going on about other people playing it and "where in the world is my SE box"  and hark's one impression of the drive spinning up his copy.

but it's 11:20 pst so i know some of you people have actually got impressions now.  so out with them.  keep the penis banter in the other thread.  no calling anyone names in this one, unless it's "wuss" or "pussy" for being unable to beat a mission. 

i will be posting back in this thread after i get some hands on time, and no, that's not a reference to the hookers in game.  i will be half asleep when i do, which ensures at least some of this will embarrass me when i eventually run for president in 2032.  and yes i know there's a good chance this thread will die stillborn. 

now, on with the real impressions people.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 06:27:24 AM »

I thought the person who created the thread was supposed to be the first one with impressions? Back to the first thread!!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 06:28:48 AM »

Multiplayer is a freaking blast!  Copters are going to take some getting used to.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 06:33:30 AM »

oh yeah, it was freaking pouring rain here at midnight, and since I didn't bother to show up until 10 minutes to midnight there was a huge line.  so, instead of standing in line and getting soaked with the rabble I went to a bar across the street with a nice view of the line, sat down and had a few drinks.  when it was down sufficiently I paid my tab and went and got in line.  More people actually got behind me and after a while the line was back down the block when an employee came out and said everyone who had their 'final receipt' (ie game totally paid for) would now have their own line and we got quicker service.  so I spent maybe 20-30 minutes in line listening decked out in my nice waterproof wet weather gear listening to my iPhone.

Because I can,
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 06:47:36 AM »

I swear to God, sometimes, I should just know better.

I was thinking 'it's rather decadent to go get a game the second it's released.  Just go tomorrow or later this week.'  But, AS I've never gotten anything the second it's released before, I figured I'd try it for once.

Of course, I get home, put it in the 360...and it locks up with the message: "You are not signed in.  You will need to sign in to save your progress and to be awarded acheivements. Do you want to sign in now?"  I am signed in, and no button I hit (other than the xbox dashboard button)_ does anything.  Over on Gamefaqs, there are already half a dozen threads about freezes and lock-ups.

Jesus Fucking Christ.  I should have known better in the first place.

I'm off to bed.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 08:11:15 AM »

I think there's something wrong with my copy on the PS3, the graphics are messed up somehow. It's like there's a layer of vasoline on my TV, everything looks soft and blurry... What the hell?

Sean Lama
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 08:26:35 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 29, 2008, 08:11:15 AM

I think there's something wrong with my copy on the PS3, the graphics are messed up somehow. It's like there's a layer of vasoline on my TV, everything looks soft and blurry... What the hell?

I'm getting the same thing on the 360.  sometimes it's worse than others.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 08:36:13 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 29, 2008, 08:26:35 AM

Quote from: Ridah on April 29, 2008, 08:11:15 AM

I'm getting the same thing on the 360.  sometimes it's worse than others.

For the love of god can this be how the game actually looks? I don't think that could be possible because in reading other impressions people say the game looks great. Something is wrong here...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 08:38:42 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 08:43:51 AM »

hmm,i had no problems with the graphics,after i first do a few missions the day was very overcast,and then later i saw some mist/fog..and i was thinking that it was very pale colours,but then it cleared up

the driving i really need to get used to,as i am having a hard time remembering that the LT is not a break(more just reverse)but thats the button i press when i need it,which means i miss my turning

i like the phone options,changing ringtones and i went on multiplayer,which was fun,i am hoping there is a character customise screen somewhere because when i leaped on i was a young black woman..now i am not racist,and i am not sexist but i would prefer a choice,it was good though playing about on free roam(i ran two players over who were having a fistfight)

back to the single player,i have been bowling on a date..she won...bitch,and i have been to the triangle bar,which is on the small island,lap dancing,and got a private dance,after the second dance,another girl joins in....then i got kicked out!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 08:48:03 AM »

i went out with Roman your cousin(in game that is,incase you have a cousin called Roman and you thought i meant you),and had a few drinks,and got totally shitfaced,it was pretty damn funny seeing the two falling over each other..the i had to drive home which was a test as the screen was going in and out and left and right making it very hard

i think the hardest thing will be getting used to the streets,where places are....it will take time but will be very handy when i remember

sorry for the double post,ps3 browser only lets you post so much

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 09:11:29 AM »

Are the graphics fucked up for you too, metal? When I say fucked up, I mean extremely blurry and low-res looking.

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 09:22:18 AM »

It makes no sense. I just watched the video review at IGN again and the game looks so much better than on my TV, it HAS to be a defective copy or something else. Oh well, my grand first night of GTA has been ruined.

Sean Lama
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 09:24:19 AM »

no they seem fine,like i say there was a time near the beginning of the game when the colours looked watered down,but it was due to it being an overcast day
i have the 360 version and i am playing it on SONY 32"triniton/vega SDTV widescreen if that helps

how far are you into the game?,and did you notice this from the start?

not sure if this will apply,but i was playing a game on the PS3 last week and i had to mess about with the screen settings(from the XMB),as the cut scenes were messed up..but then if all your other games are fine...

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 09:26:16 AM »

graphics are ok.  only played about an hour and a half, but it seems like just a few minutes.  i did 6 missions and a few side missions.  so far, i really like the way the world lives without you.  i also love that i was able to pick a fight with a few russian dudes and lead them towards a parked cop car.  they hit me and the cops took them out.  one ran away after the 2nd cop got hit by a car. (love that they are not omniscient about when to cross the street) so i was able to grab a gun.  the other russian was arrested by the cop.  and not "beat up by cop and killed" like in every other gta, but as in "cop pulled gun, yelled to get his hands up, then walked him over to his squad car and put him in the back.  i love how the vehicles look after awhile of hard driving.  smashed up pieces, blood stains on the hood which don't fade out. 

i saw a map icon of a green figure.  for some odd reason, the dude there gave me $100.  odd.  not sure what that is now.  bowling is interesting, so is pool.  i could see some good times with those minigames.

i have the guide, but haven't read anything.  the SE is fricken huge and i played a bit of the cd on the way home.  it's got the intro music on it.  pretty cool.  the art book is nice and thick and looks to be on good stock.  also haven't looked yet.  i'll have a bunch of stuff to read when i get away from the game.

so far, i really wish i didn't have to go to sleep, or work as i just scratched the surface.  damn it's a good time to be a gamer.

oh yeah.  no graphics problems save one glaring texture pop in.  on the 360 btw.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 09:37:39 AM »

hope you get it sorted Ridah...if CK is having the same trouble on the 360,then i am not sure what it could be

i just found out about the Taxis..press LB to whistle a cab,and then HOLD Y button to get in....if you just press the Y button,you end up stealing the cab

as anyone seen one of the collectables yet(flying rats)?,i havent seen any,so they must be quite well hidden,and unlike real pigeons who just wonder onto the road and try and pick up that cigerette butt thinking its food

i have been through the toll bridge as well,to get to the smaller island at top of map(where the lap dancing place is)..it costs $5..which left me with $1...so i had to break through the toll barrier on the way back!!

Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 09:43:25 AM »

I just scanned through the Xbox.com GTAIV forum. Aside from some posts about the less than stellar graphics, no mentions about being soft or blurry. Won't be getting my copy for several hours so I'll have to wait to give my opinions.

What settings are you using on your TV/monitor? The game is 720p, maybe there's an issue with using other settings on your 360 or display device.

There were several posts about people with lockups or freezes. The responses from others have been to suggest that perhaps they have bad disks. Yikes! Anyway, cross fingers, I won't have too many problems.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 09:57:31 AM »

Sooooo I'm relatively unimpressed so far.  This game is GTA.  It's still GTA.  Same...everything?

Except it looks really ugly.  There's this incredibly overdone, fuzzy, smeared ugliness everywhere.  There are some real ugly textures that pop out like a sour thumb.  And the depth of field isn't done very well (maybe MGO has spoiled me in that regard).  The framerate is distracting.

And multiplayer...jumped into a few games with Turtle (sorry Turtle, I THOUGHT I had my mic plugged in), annnnnd it was sort of anticlimatic.  The aiming system reminds me of True Crime.  And that's not a good thing.

After the first night (and I have been drinking, I'm a tad woozy right now), GTA4 has been a big letdown.

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 10:13:07 AM »

Oh, and the game froze up on me when I was selecting a hat to purchase.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 10:17:10 AM »

Oh, the impressions are in this thread...

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »

It's fun. I put about four hours in tonight - got past the Roman and Vlad story missions and into the next batch, just unlocked the first gunshop for instance.

It's just another GTA though so don't be expecting wonders, but better than San Andreas with most of the extra shit being cut down. Multiplayer is the really huge improvement.
PointerOO
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 11:05:30 AM »

Looks like it is struggling to live up to the hype so far. I am hoping that my PS3 and copy of GTA are waiting at the post office for me and I can get an hour or so in tonight.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 11:08:33 AM »

On the other hand, I haven't played a GTA game since GTA 3 and I think a bit of the one after that.  So this is all pretty new and still fun.  Nico instantly comes off as more of a character, and a lot more identifiable despite being a criminal.  So I'm liking the SP story so far.

Make sure you're running at 720, not 1080i as it might help, but I'm not sure of this.

For PS3 users fine tune the brightness, contrast, and saturation settings before you go in, they're set a bit low so it's a bit hard to see.

As for the multiplayer, cops vs crooks was what I was looking for.  I actually compare the whole thing to MGO a bit.  It's not like other FPS/3PS games, so don't go in with that same mindset.  It'll take some time for the whole community to learn its quirks, but there's a lot going for it.  First of all it's an open city, that's a pretty big thing right there.  There's a lot of settings you can choose for the city, like traffic and whatnot.  So far I've only played Team Deathmatch and Cops and Crooks.  The deathmatch game was poor only because the host selected the Airport area and there wasn't much cover, too much open space, etc...

I played quite a few games of Cops and Crooks and it was quite fun, if a bit chaotic due to everyone being new to the game.  There's two different Cops and Crooks modes actually, one is where all crooks have to protect the Boss, and the cops have to eliminate him.  The other is a mode where everyone has just one life and only one criminal has to make it to the escape vehicle.

In my game with TML we made it to the escape vehicle just ahead of the cops, but due to some stupid bug the Helicopter spawned inside the landing pad.  Unable to get inside the vehicle the cops reached our position and gunned us all down.

Right now, no one is using the good cover system that's built into the game, once people figure out that it's there you'll see more tactical gunfights in MP.  Same for learning the game in general.  It's an open world, but there are certain places where certain things spawn.  Once players learn the city a bit more, you'll see strategies develop, such as in cops and crooks, 1 crook goes off on his own to locate a helicopter or armored car, then coordinates with rest of the group to meet up somewhere.  I need to test if the GPS waypoint functionality works in multiplayer too, no reason why it wouldn't, but if you could set a point to do some kind of road block where just as the car with the Boss in it passes through an intersection, another Crook pulls a big heavy firetruck to block the intersection so that the cops can't follow.  There's also different strategies depending on what cars are available, normal economy cars aren't that great, but they do the job.  Grab a sports or muscle car to try to outrun the cops if you're a good driver.  Or grab a heavy vehicle that you know can take a lot of gunfire while your teammates work on some plan.  Or maybe the crooks drive around grabbing heavy weapons and go about shooting their way to the escape vehicle.  I think the escape vehicle can be driven by any player, so if one person makes it to the escape helicopter early he can try to fly it somewhere else in the city to meet up wit the other crooks.

So far I see a lot of people running out in the open, random cars being rammed about the place.

With the PS3 multiplayer, there's a combination of problems with communication, like headsets not coming standard with the PS3, the cheap bluetooth headsets that you buy having poor audio quality in and out, most bluetooth headsets don't have a boom mic the mics pick up way too much external noise, and the sound compression they use to transmit is poor.  All this means that it's hard to coordinate since it's hard to hear your teammates.  So the 360 version is the one to get for MP if you like that, hopefully they'll fix these issues with the PS3 but that won't happen until Summer at least.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 11:10:36 AM by Turtle » Logged
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 11:10:02 AM »

I'll be buying a used copy sometime in the future from one of you guinea pig suckers! smile
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 11:11:05 AM »

Hah!  Only because you can't read Japanese yet!  Tongue
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 11:26:06 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on April 29, 2008, 10:13:07 AM

Oh, and the game froze up on me when I was selecting a hat to purchase.

When Rockstar ported Bully from the PS2 to the 360 they had a lot of lockup issues until it was patched. I'm wondering if they had put themselves in the same situation, where they have problems with some older 360s (and maybe PS3s for the same reason).

I will be disappointed if the game's high estimation by so many reviewers lies in it's MP. While I'll probably play the MP parts of it, I'm primarily getting it for the SP experience.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 11:27:57 AM by Roscoe » Logged

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 11:42:28 AM »

Well this certainly isn't off to the start I was expecting.  Now I'm wondering if I want the game at all...
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 11:51:40 AM »

The SP experience, so far with the first 2-3 missions is good.  Haven't gotten into gun fights, but had a good car chase, fought with the new melee fighting system and all the characters seemed pretty interesting.  Heck, I'm about to go on my first date in game.  The game also informed me that there is a friends system where you can go have fun with various in-game friends.  I suppose there'll be in-game rewards for it too.

But remember that's from someone who only played GTA3 a little, and much less Vice City and San Andreas.

There's word that there's some freezing issues with the 60gb PS3 version, but that's just anecdotal right now.  I could be across the board for all platforms, but I know I had one freezing incident loading up an MP game, I had to use the switch on the back to power down my PS3.

Keep in mind, the game also includes co-op missions.  But I forget how many and the name of the co-op mode in MP.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 11:53:31 AM by Turtle » Logged
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 11:55:11 AM »

Quote from: Roscoe on April 29, 2008, 11:26:06 AM

When Rockstar ported Bully from the PS2 to the 360 they had a lot of lockup issues until it was patched. I'm wondering if they had put themselves in the same situation, where they have problems with some older 360s (and maybe PS3s for the same reason).

It was Mad Doc that ported Bully, now called Rockstar New England.  They had nothing to do with GTA.  Realistically every game is going to be prone to lockups to some small degree.  Software has bugs, hardware still has bugs, and OSes still have bugs.  When you've got a game like this where 10 million+ are going to buy, even 1% experiencing trouble means 100,000 angry people.  Hopefully 99% will play just fine.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 11:59:59 AM »

Since I'm getting the game primarily for SP (at least at first) I'm glad to hear that the first 2-3 missions are good.

I remember getting Saints Row and being frustrated with having to learn a new control scheme, but I got over it.

Turtle, if you enjoy the SP aspects of GTAIV, you owe yourself to check out GTASA, GTAVC and even GTA3 if you didn't get into them very much. The characters and cut scenes are really pretty good.

Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 12:08:13 PM »

Quote from: kathode on April 29, 2008, 11:55:11 AM

It was Mad Doc that ported Bully, now called Rockstar New England.  They had nothing to do with GTA.  Realistically every game is going to be prone to lockups to some small degree.  Software has bugs, hardware still has bugs, and OSes still have bugs.  When you've got a game like this where 10 million+ are going to buy, even 1% experiencing trouble means 100,000 angry people.  Hopefully 99% will play just fine.

kathode, that's good info on Mad Doc. I myself only had one lockup on Bully before the patch and hardly had a problem stuttering at all, but my 360 might be newer. And a great comment on that 1% item!

I may benefit from a random hardware choice myself. My new Gateway 24" monitor is very bright, so much so that in COD4 I've had to really turn down the brightness and contrast. Perhaps that will means GTAIV will look better to me. Honestly however, I've never been much of a graphics whore at all and probably won't notice the subtle differences that drive some people batty.

Turtle, are there a lot of places to wander around and into? One of the reasons that I really enjoyed GTASA was that there were so many areas you could explore, just as if you were wandering around real landscape. Even today I fire up GTASA occasionally and still find places I've never been to.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2008, 12:11:49 PM »

Keep em coming boys.  So far I have heard nothing worthy of me picking up my reserved copy today.  Hope that changes before I get off. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 12:15:43 PM »

just played for a few more hours,opened up some more missions strands...played pool,played darts(got 180 and achievement..wasnt hard)...got my girl in the sack(got an achievement)...playing pool wasnt as good as i was hoping,it was a bit of a pain,but for a mini game its fine,darts is really easy,you have to position a cross hair where you want the dart to go,it shakes a little but not much

enjoying the missions,had a bit of the cover system,taught to me,pressing Rb i think when next to a wall or something

i know why i got kicked out of the lap dancing club....it costs a lot of money and at the time i only had a dollar,took a taxi home,watched the cinematic while he took me home...got out of the cab and got another achievement for taking a taxi from one island to another without skipping

Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 12:20:15 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 29, 2008, 12:15:43 PM

just played for a few more hours,opened up some more missions strands...

One of the few critical reviews did mention how hard some of the missions were. Any missions so far that make you want to throw the controller at a dev (which is how the reviewer put it)?

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 12:25:38 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on April 29, 2008, 12:11:49 PM

Keep em coming boys.  So far I have heard nothing worthy of me picking up my reserved copy today.  Hope that changes before I get off. 

Agreed...
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 12:26:50 PM »

Not impressed so far.

Graphics are butt ugly, the fuzzy filter on almost everything ruins it for me.  That 'oil painting' look from some of the screenshots is ever-present and detracts from nearly every moment.  Depth of field as mentioned by someone else is completely fubar and things are so blurry past 10 ft that it's like I'm near-sighted and misplaced my glasses.  (I know because I'm near-sighted and wearing my glasses slywink )

Controls are a bit touchy, especially when trying to knife a foe up close.  Cover system, while a neat idea is pretty lame over all.  I hit cover and my dude won't turn the way I need to, half the time he won't fire over cover when I hit the button, etc.

Helicopters are awesome fun, except it seems more effective to run people through with the rotors than to use the gun.

Game still has potential, especially for multi, but I think it's going to take some time to learn.

I know a lot of people were complaining about the driving last night, but I thought it was one of the high points and had no problems with it at all.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 12:37:47 PM »

Ruh roh!  Is there no option to turn off the graphics filter like there was in Vice City?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 12:48:32 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 29, 2008, 12:37:47 PM

Ruh roh!  Is there no option to turn off the graphics filter like there was in Vice City?

I looked and didn't see it.  Hopefully I was just too tired, but I don't think it's there.  The filter is extreme and I do not like it at all.

Weirdest part to me is that when on foot the controls are too twitchy AND too sluggish at the same time.  Hard to explain and even harder for me to grasp how you can make something that suffers on both ends of the spectrum.

I think I was spoiled by the responsiveness of Saint's Row while on foot.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 12:50:10 PM »

BTW, other than the announcement of the 100% club (where you have 1 week to get 100% in the game, and I don't know if that's 100% achievements, 100% completion in-game or both) is there anything available on the Social Club yet?

I know I won't be in the 100% club, I don't have 100% on any games yet.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2008, 12:54:53 PM »

the only thing thats making me frustrated is the driving and handling of cars,they asre very touchy when turning corners and lean to one side..something i have to get used to

right,that fuzzy picture thing Ridah....on the PS3 uk forums a lot of people are getting this,while others PS3 or 360 aren't

the people who ARE getting it,funnilty enough are all using a SONY Bravia TV,wondered if that may of been the case for you,and the other people on here who has mentioned fuzzy(on the ps3 forums they also mention jaggies,again i havent noticed any on the 360).

so,those with jaggies or fuzzyness,what TV are you using?...i am sure one of you WONT be using the Bravia,so then we can rule that out

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2008, 12:56:05 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 29, 2008, 12:50:10 PM

BTW, other than the announcement of the 100% club (where you have 1 week to get 100% in the game, and I don't know if that's 100% achievements, 100% completion in-game or both) is there anything available on the Social Club yet?

I know I won't be in the 100% club, I don't have 100% on any games yet.

Yeah I was just going to post about that.  I just checked and you can now enter your gamertag or PSN ID into the Rockstar Social Club.  You can find it under 'edit profile.'
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: