http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 02:01:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GHIII impressions thread  (Read 10918 times)
shon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2007, 04:15:47 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 29, 2007, 12:26:45 AM

-  There has to be a way to invite friends to play, but damned if I can find it.

I went and created a private match and was able to invite my friends.  YOu can only play 1,3,5,7 songs though so that stinks after that you must setup and invite again.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2007, 04:18:49 PM »

Quote from: shon on October 29, 2007, 04:15:47 PM

-  There has to be a way to invite friends to play, but damned if I can find it.

I went and created a private match and was able to invite my friends.  YOu can only play 1,3,5,7 songs though so that stinks after that you must setup and invite again.

Is there a seperate invite tab or something?  When I set up a private match, my only options are 'Change Character" and "Change Guitar".  I can't see any options to invite people.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
SpicyJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2007, 04:49:28 PM »

Once you get the private match setup, hit the guide button and you can invite friends from there.

This is on the 360, not sure how it works on other platforms.

GT/OO Weight Loss Tracker: http://www.jxprime.net/WeightTracker
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2007, 04:51:06 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 29, 2007, 04:18:49 PM

Is there a seperate invite tab or something?  When I set up a private match, my only options are 'Change Character" and "Change Guitar".  I can't see any options to invite people.

it's just like any other XBL multi-player game, you invite friends through the Guide dashboard menu
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2007, 05:09:35 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 29, 2007, 04:51:06 PM

Quote from: Gratch on October 29, 2007, 04:18:49 PM

it's just like any other XBL multi-player game, you invite friends through the Guide dashboard menu

Got it, thanks.  This is the first XBL multi-player game I've played, so I'm a n00b at this stuff.

Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2007, 05:12:21 PM »

I'd love to know who's bright idea it was to have a Sunday launch...  I don't shop on Sundays, and first thing Monday morning, every single store in Edmonton is apparently sold out.  A) Release things on a bloody weekday, please! and B) order more than 30 copies per Best Buy please!   icon_mad  Either suppliers / managers are getting stupider, or there's a new trend in marketing to try and generate word of mouth by not having enough supply.  Either way sucks.

For a laugh I poked my head into EB.  "Did you pre-order?  We only got 2 extra copies."   retard
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2007, 05:27:43 PM »

Well according to the lacky at a local Gamestop, Guitar Hero III will be sold out EVERYWHERE up to and after Christmas. So you have to pre-order. Duh. Roll Eyes
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2007, 05:41:04 PM »

Quote from: Koz on October 29, 2007, 05:27:43 PM

Well according to the lacky at a local Gamestop, Guitar Hero III will be sold out EVERYWHERE up to and after Christmas. So you have to pre-order. Duh. Roll Eyes

Zomg everywhere!
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2007, 06:03:55 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 29, 2007, 05:41:04 PM

Zomg everywhere!
Just like Halo 3 . . . I look forward to playing it in March when copies are finally available . . .

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2007, 06:09:35 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on October 29, 2007, 05:12:21 PM

I'd love to know who's bright idea it was to have a Sunday launch...  I don't shop on Sundays, and first thing Monday morning, every single store in Edmonton is apparently sold out.  A) Release things on a bloody weekday, please! and B) order more than 30 copies per Best Buy please!   icon_mad  Either suppliers / managers are getting stupider, or there's a new trend in marketing to try and generate word of mouth by not having enough supply.  Either way sucks.

For a laugh I poked my head into EB.  "Did you pre-order?  We only got 2 extra copies."   retard

I went to the midnight sale at my Gamestop on Saturday.  There were nearly 200 people in line at my location, and it's apparently one of the lowest volume stores in the district.

Apparently just a few people wanted a copy.  smile

Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2007, 06:17:34 PM »

There were probably 50-75 copies of each flavor at the Best Buy that I went to.  And pretty much everyone in line yesterday was holding a copy.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2007, 09:54:08 PM »

Ok... I'm confused.  My wife just came home with GH3 from Walmart, but it's got the wired X-plorer controller from GH2 in the package!  What gives?  Are there different bundles, some with the wired and some with the wireless guitar?
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2007, 10:02:41 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on October 29, 2007, 09:54:08 PM

Ok... I'm confused.  My wife just came home with GH3 from Walmart, but it's got the wired X-plorer controller from GH2 in the package!  What gives?  Are there different bundles, some with the wired and some with the wireless guitar?

yep, you got the cheap bundle
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2007, 10:04:57 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 29, 2007, 10:02:41 PM

Son of a...  crap.  Now I don't know if I should make with the rocking, or wait to find the wireless bundle.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2007, 10:06:50 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on October 29, 2007, 10:04:57 PM

Quote from: KePoW on October 29, 2007, 10:02:41 PM

Son of a...  crap.  Now I don't know if I should make with the rocking, or wait to find the wireless bundle.

personally, I would definitely get the wireless Les Paul
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2007, 11:59:59 PM »

I never used the wired one with 2, but the GH3 controller is fantastic!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2007, 01:26:50 AM »

Just finished playing a best of three pro face-off against some dude.  After whooping him on the first song, he proceeded to tell me how it was on for song #2 and that I didn't stand a chance against him.  No one had ever beaten him on Cult of Personality yet.  After I stomped him by nearly 100k, I found out that I was apparently a cheating faggot, my wife was a dirty whore, I was a fucking douchebag, and I had no business bringing my sorry cheating ass on XBL.   I'm still not quite sure how one "cheats" at GHIII, but that's apparently irrelevant.  I'm suddenly remembering why I've steered clear of multiplayer...

However, me and The Grue tore up a couple Expert co-op songs, including one 5-star.  Now that was fun.  smile
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 01:31:38 AM by Gratch » Logged

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2007, 01:37:42 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 30, 2007, 01:26:50 AM

Just finished playing a best of three pro face-off against some dude.  After whooping him on the first song, he proceeded to tell me how it was on for song #2 and that I didn't stand a chance against him.  No one had ever beaten him on Cult of Personality yet.  After I stomped him by nearly 100k, I found out that I was apparently a cheating faggot, my wife was a dirty whore, I was a fucking douchebag, and I had no business bringing my sorry cheating ass on XBL.   I'm still not quite sure how one "cheats" at GHIII, but that's apparently irrelevant.  I'm suddenly remembering why I've steered clear of multiplayer...

However, me and The Grue tore up a couple Expert co-op songs, including one 5-star.  Now that was fun.  smile

The best thing you can do on XBL is mute all voice coms.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2007, 01:42:18 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 30, 2007, 01:26:50 AM

That was YOU?!

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2007, 01:57:04 AM »

Quote from: Zimix on October 29, 2007, 06:17:34 PM

There were probably 50-75 copies of each flavor at the Best Buy that I went to.  And pretty much everyone in line yesterday was holding a copy.

I unfortunately had to work at Wal-Mart, in the Electronics department no less, on Guitarmaggedon Day. Naturally I was the only person to get there on time, the night staff had only put out copies of the 360 and PS2 versions, and I wasnt able to go grab my keys before I already had a line ten deep asking impatiently "where the fuck are the Wii versions?"

I only managed to solve THAT problem four hours into my shift when I found five or so boxes (each of six) Wii versions, no thanks to the manager who should have known where the  fuck they were. Even worse, all of the 360 versions were of the wired variety and we had plenty of returns. Oh well, at least we got something like three pallets of the bloody game - so about three hundred in total, mostly of 360 and PS2.

The day got better when I managed to go home and begin rocking out to my own copy of Guitar Hero III. Nothing beats getting over a bad day at work like a good strumming.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2007, 02:05:07 AM »

Just tried a few sessions of multiplayer Battle mode.  I think it may have actually been fun, if - and only if - they removed the Lefty Flip attack.  In every session I played, it was simply a matter of who could get the Lefty Flip first.  If you did, then you won.  The other attacks can be recovered from, but that one is basically a game killer.

Gads, I hate that Knights of Cydonia song.  So of course, it was chosen by the other guy in nearly every...single...game.   icon_evil

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2007, 02:51:12 AM »

Why all the hate for Knights of Cydonia?  I heard it for the first time last year and went on a Muse kick that lasts to this day because of it.  The lead singer goes from Thom Yorke to Freddie Mercury in vocal stylings and the guitarist oddly channels Tom Morello at times.  Mind you, I think some of their other work is better, but I just don't understand the hate.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2007, 02:53:42 AM »

Are any of you still having trouble linking your account to the site?  I find it hard to believe the server is still busy like they say it is.  I have tried since noon yesterday and I always get the invalid token error.  My code is pretty straight forward and hard to mix up.  I had my wife read it to me and she read it the same that I read it.  This is really pissing me off.

Oh, also, Knight of Cydonia rules, though there are Muse songs I like better.

Had a blast playing with Gratch.  Anyone else into the co-op?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2007, 02:54:26 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 30, 2007, 02:51:12 AM

Why all the hate for Knights of Cydonia?  I heard it for the first time last year and went on a Muse kick that lasts to this day because of it.  The lead singer goes from Thom Yorke to Freddie Mercury in vocal stylings and the guitarist oddly channels Tom Morello at times.  Mind you, I think some of their other work is better, but I just don't understand the hate.

The song itself just isn't my style.  Most of the hate, however, has to do with the way too long, uber-fast strumming sections on Expert.  My hand cramps up just thinking about it.

Are any of you still having trouble linking your account to the site?  I find it hard to believe the server is still busy like they say it is.  I have tried since noon yesterday and I always get the invalid token error.  My code is pretty straight forward and hard to mix up.  I had my wife read it to me and she read it the same that I read it.  This is really pissing me off.

Still not working for me either.  It's also still not keeping track of any of my multiplayer sessions.  I've played at least 10 rounds of each type, and it's showing as "No Score".
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 02:55:59 AM by Gratch » Logged

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2007, 02:57:13 AM »

Oh, one more thing.  I just cannot get through Cult of Personality on Expert.  I keep trying but I don't have enough star power to make it through that crazy ass second solo and noodling is just not my forte.  I am much better at fast strumming stuff (Knights of Cydonia and Miseralou), weird power chord off rhythms (the Disturbed song), and funky rhytms (Chili Peppers).  If I could noodle, I would play guitar.  Instead, I played bass.

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2007, 03:02:44 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 30, 2007, 02:54:26 AM

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 30, 2007, 02:51:12 AM

The song itself just isn't my style.  Most of the hate, however, has to do with the way too long, uber-fast strumming sections on Expert.  My hand cramps up just thinking about it.

Still not working for me either.  It's also still not keeping track of any of my multiplayer sessions.  I've played at least 10 rounds of each type, and it's showing as "No Score".

Well, you should give 'Absolution' a try, in particular 'Apocalypse Please', 'Stockholm Syndrome', and 'Hysteria'

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2007, 03:29:55 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 30, 2007, 03:02:44 AM

Well, you should give 'Absolution' a try, in particular 'Apocalypse Please', 'Stockholm Syndrome', and 'Hysteria'

Stockholm Syndrome is amazing.  I wish it was in the game too.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2007, 03:57:04 AM »

Yay!! I got my first perfect song (on easy, mind you!)  Cherub Rock by Smashing Pumpkins!
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2007, 05:03:51 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 28, 2007, 08:54:42 PM

-  I really don't like how they've done the leaderboards.  To even be able to see your rank, you have to select a "filter" and select "My Rank".  Neversoft apparently thought that people really cared about the top 10 overall, and wanted to make people work to see their own rank.   I also can't figure out how to sort the friends list by rank/score.  It seems to only do it alphabetically.

i discovered tonight that there are much worse things about the new leaderboards than the lousy filter system.  i had just quit playing for the night and thought i'd check out how a few of my scores compared to my friends, but when i set the search filter to 'friends,' scores were only showing up for CSL and Runningmn9.  i know a lot more people than those two guys have been playing the game, so it didn't make any sense that i wasn't seeing more scores.  assuming it was just another bug where something in the game is slow to update, i quit the game for the night...then i checked my friends list to see who else was playing.  guess who was online playing GH3?  apparently setting the leaderboard filter to 'friends' will only show you the scores of friends that are currently online.  that seriously sucks and is a huge step backward from the leaderboards in GH2...makes the leaderboards pretty much useless if you just want to scan your buddy's scores at some random time to see which one you need to beat next.  if someone isn't online when you want to compare, you're out of luck thumbsdown

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2007, 10:55:05 AM »

Quote from: disarm on October 30, 2007, 05:03:51 AM

-  I really don't like how they've done the leaderboards.  To even be able to see your rank, you have to select a "filter" and select "My Rank".  Neversoft apparently thought that people really cared about the top 10 overall, and wanted to make people work to see their own rank.   I also can't figure out how to sort the friends list by rank/score.  It seems to only do it alphabetically.

i discovered tonight that there are much worse things about the new leaderboards than the lousy filter system.  i had just quit playing for the night and thought i'd check out how a few of my scores compared to my friends, but when i set the search filter to 'friends,' scores were only showing up for CSL and Runningmn9.  i know a lot more people than those two guys have been playing the game, so it didn't make any sense that i wasn't seeing more scores.  assuming it was just another bug where something in the game is slow to update, i quit the game for the night...then i checked my friends list to see who else was playing.  guess who was online playing GH3?  apparently setting the leaderboard filter to 'friends' will only show you the scores of friends that are currently online.  that seriously sucks and is a huge step backward from the leaderboards in GH2...makes the leaderboards pretty much useless if you just want to scan your buddy's scores at some random time to see which one you need to beat next.  if someone isn't online when you want to compare, you're out of luck thumbsdown

Is this true? If so, major  thumbsdown icon_mad icon_frown
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2007, 01:12:36 PM »

Wow, that's a phenomenally bad decision.  Without the ability to easily compare friends scores, there's not really a ton of incentive to play.

Between rampant connection issues and no stat tracking in multiplayer, crappy leaderboards, a completely broken website, and now this, I'm seriously leaning towards E-baying GHIII as soon as Rock Band Hits.  Granted, RB might not be better in these regards, but at least I'd get to play drums, do vocals, and play guitar.  Even without multiplayer, RB is much more appealing at this point.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2007, 02:05:20 PM »

And now you can read my take on GH3.  Enjoy - http://gamingtrend.com/Reviews/review/review.php?ReviewID=923

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2007, 02:30:56 PM »

WTF...that is completely retarded

how the hell can you screw up something so simple as leaderboards, that's ridiculous.  did they even test this, wtf
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2007, 02:35:21 PM »

Filters should be easily fixable in a patch, amirite?

Also, when you guys play MP, do you have to play the same difficulty?  Is there a way to only play people at the same difficulty you are?
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2007, 02:36:11 PM »

This thread is making me sad that my Xbox is dead  crybaby

Hope my replacement shows up soon !

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2007, 04:33:46 PM »

Still can't register my code.  It gives me a different error saying that it can't find my token now.  Others are getting the same change in error.  This is really silly.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2007, 05:25:37 PM »

I hope that leaderboard/online/offline friends list thing is either a temporary bug or something.

Hey Grue, I managed to beat one of your expert scores last night. With a broken finger.

icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2007, 06:54:23 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on October 30, 2007, 05:25:37 PM

I hope that leaderboard/online/offline friends list thing is either a temporary bug or something.

Hey Grue, I managed to beat one of your expert scores last night. With a broken finger.

icon_biggrin

Yeah, yeah.  Which song?

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2007, 07:15:24 PM »

Sunshine of Your Love (I think).

Right pinkie's broken, so I can't use the whammy bar at all while playing (bad with that much movement) and sections of vigorous strumming aren't so hot either. Can't play the marathon sessions I used to either. icon_frown

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2007, 08:06:25 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on October 30, 2007, 07:15:24 PM

Right pinkie's broken

Don't be so modest. Not only was it broken, but it was almost severed from your hand.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: