http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 01:35:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GHIII impressions thread  (Read 10935 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2007, 03:45:10 PM »

Thought it might be easier to consolidate all the GHIII topics into one place.  smile  Initial thoughts on the 360 version after an hour last night.  Played through the first 2 tiers on Hard:

-  Damn it's good to have some new songs!  smile

-  The 'Rock & Roll All Nite" cover is really bad.

-  I really like the new HO/PO feel.

-  Graphics are a wash.  The venues look great, and the singer & guitarist are animated pretty well.  However, the drummer and bass player are a complete joke.  Anytime the camera swings to the drummer (who is apparently a robot), I just cringe.  It's seriously awful.

-  I like this new controller leaps and bounds over the Xplorer.   Playing wirelessly (and consequently not having to worry about the dog putting the cord out) is a godsed.

-  Unless I'm missing something, you can only access the leaderboards if you  have a XBL Gold membership.  They are in the "Xbox live" menu, and I was only able to access that menu after I signed up for my 1-month Gold membership.  Trying to access it before that gave me a "Your profile is not set up to access these features" message.  It also didn't seem to save any of my scores until I signed up for XBL Gold.

If that is the case, then it is a bad, bad, bad decision.  I haven't had an XBL Gold account because I have previously had zero desire to play multiplayer.  However, having an online leaderboard was the only thing that kept me interested in GH2 for so long.   I'm still not convinced that multi-player for two games (this & Rock Band) is worth the XBL investment, but would lose interest very quickly without leaderboards.   Really bad move on their part.

-  Speaking of online, i did manage to get into a quick-match game last night.  It was some sort of co-op, and seemed pretty fun.  Me and the other guy would swap parts back & forth, and I mopped the floor with him.  Will be looking for you guys online today.  smile  However, it took 3 tries before I could get a game started.  The first 2 tries I told it to automatically find a match, and it hung up on the "Joining Game..." screen.  Not sure if it was a network issue or what, but it stayed on that screen for a good 3-4 minutes, and there was no way to get out of it.  I had to exit to the dashboard and reboot the game.  If I hosted a game, it seemed to work fine, but joining matches was problematic.  I hope this isn't a recurring issue.

I'll be spending most of the day with GH3 as soon as Mrs. Skinypupy wakes up.  Will get back with a few more impressions this evening.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 04:13:34 PM »

Got my 360 copy at midnight last night.

- Agree with the awesomeness of the wireless controller.

- I thought the boss battles would be cooler. I'll definitely try again on higher difficulties but it just didn't seem as cool as they made it out to be.

- Maybe it's just me, but activating the Star Power didn't invoke any cool animations for my guitarist. They sort of just stood there and played as normal. I like in the previous Guitar Heroes where they would do some crazy stage move.

- Pretty good selection of tracks thus far.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 04:57:29 PM »

Just did my first boss battle, and it was as lame as I expected.  Thankfully it only lasted about a minute before I won, so it was pretty painless. 

Then the strippers came on...   icon_rolleyes

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 05:39:01 PM »

1.  HOs and POs do seem more forgiving, which is cool

2.  Rock & Roll All Nite cover is pretty bad...but fortunately I don't like Kiss so I didn't care

3.  the wireless Les Paul is way way better than the shitty Explorer from GH2, I would recommend everyone get it

4.  drummer animation is awful, but who cares...seriously, who has time to look at that stuff, unless someone is only playing on like Easy or Medium

5.  I like the new Casey Lynch and Midori, lol

6.  dunno about the issue with XBL Gold, but who doesn't have that these days =P
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 05:41:19 PM »

oh as for the Boss Battles, I'm neutral on them...it's not like there's many at all, so it's a non-issue IMO

last night I got all the way to the second-to-last tier on Hard, which is 30+ songs, and I only had 2 Boss Battles so far
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 05:43:22 PM »

Overall, I'm unimpressed so far.  As has been mentioned, the graphics are a wash, the boss battle was as un-fun as I expected it to be, and didn't make a lot of sense (we're playing a gig in a strip club, and HERE COMES TOM MORELLO!), but at least it wasn't killer hard (though I expect it will be on Expert).

What's killing me is that the guitar seems to be overly sensitive.  This isn't actually the fault of the guitar, because I found the same thing with both the LP and the Explorer.  The first problem is that the tilt sensor is now way too sensitive.  I find my star power deploying if I happen to move the guitar up an inch.  Not so good if I was trying to save it.

Much more problematic is that the game is giving me a ton of double strums.  For example, I'll strum a held note, it will register that I hit the note, and then the note will cut off without me touching the strum bar.  It doesn't happen every time, but it happens enough that it's going to be a problem.  On one of the second tier songs, I got 97% of the notes, but only 3 stars.  That says to me that I'm playing the notes right, but the game keeps picking up extra strums that break my streak, and since stars are tied to streak, getting 4 and 5 stars is going to be immensely hard.

The double strum things is very close to being a dealbreaker for me.  Also annoying is the note mapping.  The placement of HO/PO notes is sometimes strange.  Usually, when I see a 3 note upward/downward run where the second note is an HO/PO, I assume the third note is too.  Well, frequently it isn't in GH3.  It's possible that on a real guitar, you'd play the third note on a different string, but this isn't a real guitar, and that should be taken into account on the note mapping.

I'm headed back in to play some more.  The double strum thing is really, really aggravating to me though, and if it keeps up, the game's getting sold off right quick.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 06:00:53 PM »

Chaz,

I have never noticed this double strum issue you're talking about, and like I said I played all the way to the 2nd-to-last tier on Hard

as far as the tilt sensitivity, both the LP and Explorer are the same to me so far...as in they both register star powers randomly when I don't want them to.  I haven't noticed it being worse with the LP

I do agree with you about some of the note charts though, regarding HO and PO runs...some are just totally retarded.  and I've played guitar in RL for almost 20 years now
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 07:36:32 PM »

Well I've never played a GH game before today, but I'm playing the first song on Easy and I'm head banging with a sh**-eating grin on my face.  What a fun concept this is!!!!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 08:54:42 PM »

-  Finished everything on Hard except the final boss battle.  The boss battles are so un-fun and the cover of "Devil Went Down to Georgia" is so bad, that I honestly don't know if I'll bother trying to beat it.  I'm not an Achievement whore, so there's really not much incentive.

-  I really don't like how they've done the leaderboards.  To even be able to see your rank, you have to select a "filter" and select "My Rank".  Neversoft apparently thought that people really cared about the top 10 overall, and wanted to make people work to see their own rank.   I also can't figure out how to sort the friends list by rank/score.  It seems to only do it alphabetically.

-  Speaking of ranks, I've played about a dozen on-line matches (more on that in a sec), and none of them have registered on the leaderboard.    Not sure if there's something special I need to do to activate that.

-  So far, I've not been able to connect to a single "Quick Match".  I get the "Finding Match" message, the "Joining Game" message, then within 30-60 seconds, the "Failure to Connect" message.  Matches I host seem to work fine, and when I go in through the "Custom Game" menu I can usually get in.  Online Face-Off is actually pretty fun.  It was even better when the last kid said to me "I hope you can keep up" when he picked One on Expert.  I beat him by almost 100K.  smile

-  If anyone figures out how to invite someone on the friends list to an online match, let me know.  I suppose I could also RTFM.

This is fun, but certainly won't have the staying power of GHII.   Just something to tide me over for the next month.

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 09:05:26 PM »

Can a local second player not earn achievements? My brother is over here with me and is signed in on his local profile on my 360, but he can't get any achievements to unlock in co-op, like we could in GHII.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 09:11:47 PM »

Wow, Gratch.  In less than a day you've completed the game on Hard and done over a dozen online games?  Talk about hardcore.  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 09:56:18 PM »

For people who suck at GH like myself, I lost to Tom Morello a couple of times (on Easy) and after 3 losses it said that I was getting owned and did I want to skip him?  I kept on trying, but it's nice to know that it won't block you if you just can't do the battles.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 10:07:31 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 28, 2007, 09:11:47 PM

Wow, Gratch.  In less than a day you've completed the game on Hard and done over a dozen online games?  Talk about hardcore. 

I had the day off, there were no NFL games that interested me, and Mrs. Gratch has been at work.  Seemed like a good day to spend w/GHIII.  smile

Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 10:15:56 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 28, 2007, 06:00:53 PM

I do agree with you about some of the note charts though, regarding HO and PO runs...some are just totally retarded.  and I've played guitar in RL for almost 20 years now
I'm in agreement as well.  During some of the fast runs, you actually have to pay attention to which notes can be HO/PO'd and which can't.  Maybe that's why they made the HO/PO'able notes glow instead of just removing the black outline.  I swear there was one song that had a picked note in the middle of a trill... lame. 

My other pet peeve, as a guitarist, are songs that are harder to play in GH than in real life.  I found the verse part of Welcome To The Jungle to be a lot harder than it needed to be. 

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the game.  It's basically more of the same, but that's exactly what I expected/wanted.  I could do without the boss battles, but so be it.  One thing I've noticed is that there seems to be a lot more 3 button chords on Expert than there was in the previous two games.

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 11:21:37 PM »

Quote from: Loomi on October 28, 2007, 10:15:56 PM

I'm in agreement as well.  During some of the fast runs, you actually have to pay attention to which notes can be HO/PO'd and which can't.  Maybe that's why they made the HO/PO'able notes glow instead of just removing the black outline.  I swear there was one song that had a picked note in the middle of a trill... lame. 

yeah...completely retarded

My other pet peeve, as a guitarist, are songs that are harder to play in GH than in real life.  I found the verse part of Welcome To The Jungle to be a lot harder than it needed to be. 

completely agree here too... on Expert, a lot of songs are harder to play in the game than in real life.  the One solo is a perfect example, in real life it's really not that hard (as long as you have the tapping speed, the sequence of tapped notes is very simple)...but I won't ever be able to perfect the game version on Expert
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 11:38:26 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 28, 2007, 09:05:26 PM

Can a local second player not earn achievements? My brother is over here with me and is signed in on his local profile on my 360, but he can't get any achievements to unlock in co-op, like we could in GHII.

Anybody?????????

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 11:39:02 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 28, 2007, 11:38:26 PM

Anybody?????????

I dunno man, I'm only playing solo.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 11:40:30 PM »

Hey guys, when you say HO/PO what does that mean in-game?
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2007, 11:44:55 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 28, 2007, 11:40:30 PM

Hammer on/Pull off.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2007, 11:54:29 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 28, 2007, 11:44:55 PM

Hammer on/Pull off.

What does that mean in-game?  Is it just using the whammy bar?

Also has anyone tried to link their account online?  I get invalid slot token when I try and enter mine.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 12:05:17 AM »

Got the game earlier and I m stuck on Cult of Personality on Expert.  Getting through that second solo is a total bitch and I am close, but can't get there.  Of course, I have been playing for like 5 hours, so I probably just need a break.  I like how they changed the designation of HOs/POs, though I tend to pick everything, so I don't use them.  Still, for the first time, I can actually see them.  I can't figure out how to see Friends on the Leaderboards.

Oh, also, my link code won't be accepted by the site, which pisses me off, because I want to compare scores with my friend who bought the Wii version.

Overall, I like it even better than the previous ones.  I really like the songs they have on there and I feel the parts are more responsive.  Also, I adjusted my lag manually (not sure you could do that in GH2 as  think the only option was to take the test, but you couldn't manually set it) and have it on about 40ms.  I was failing The Metal before I adjusted it and was mad because I felt like I was playing it just right and I was failing.  The lag adjustment made all the difference and I got right through the song.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 12:07:43 AM »

anyone get the Wii version?  I'm interested in seeing how it is.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2007, 12:07:59 AM »

How the heck are you guys doing these marathon sessions? With GH2 I could only play for an hour before my fingers and eyes hurt (especially the latter).
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2007, 12:21:30 AM »

I played for about four hours, and got almost through Hard.  What I found was that the spot on my inner wrist where it rests on the body of the guitar now has a big welt on it from the sharp corner of the guitar's body.  Not too crazy about that.

While I like the song selection, there's a lot of little things that are bugging me about it.  I definitely suspect this one will be retired as soon as Rock Band hits.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2007, 12:23:34 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 28, 2007, 11:54:29 PM

Hammer on/Pull off.

Also has anyone tried to link their account online?  I get invalid slot token when I try and enter mine.

I'm getting that message as well.  It's apparently a rather widespread issue (there's about 4 different threads on Guitarhero.com about it) with no solutions yet.  My guess is the server they're using to do authentication is getting hammered and rejecting everything.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 12:26:45 AM »

I'm going to give it a week before I try any multiplayer.  Right now it's a complete disaster.

-  Still can't connect to any QuickPlay sessions
-  If it does get to the "Joining Game" screen, more often than not it gets stuck there and I have to exit to the dashboard and restart the game.
-  It's still not tracking of my multiplayer wins or co-op sessions
-  There has to be a way to invite friends to play, but damned if I can find it.

Hopefully these are all just launch day traffic issues and not ongoing problems.  Otherwise, the multiplayer for GHIII is going to be worthless.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2007, 12:29:35 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 28, 2007, 11:54:29 PM

Hammer on/Pull off.

You really need to do the training since it's all clearly explained there (and it's somewhat amusing).

Lots of people are getting the Invalid thing.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2007, 12:54:11 AM »

I love the new wireless guitar.  It feels so much sturdier and solid.  I also like the way they made HO/POs easier to see.  Much better song selection than GH 1 or 2. There are only a few that I didn't enjoy.  I only enjoy guitar. Not so much with the drums and vocals. So I probably will be passing on Rock Band.  I hope GH3 has a nice steady flow of downloadable songs so I can stick to that plan.  nod

I'm one of those people who can blast through on normal but I have to plactice each song to get through them on hard.  Cult of Peronality, Even Flow and One are a blast to play.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2007, 01:36:04 AM »

I've been playing for about 5 hours and I totally love this game.  I'm playing on easy and I've done about 11 songs.  I keep going back and trying to do better.  I'm scared to try Medium!!!  What a blast!!!!
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2007, 01:36:40 AM »

How do most of you play? Standing up or sitting down?

This question has probably come up before. I play standing up, and after playing for about 5 hours today my legs are sore. I tried playing while sitting down but found I did not do as well.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2007, 01:37:54 AM »

Quote from: crumsteel on October 29, 2007, 01:36:40 AM

This question has probably come up before. I play standing up, and after playing for about 5 hours today my legs are sore. I tried playing while sitting down but found I did not do as well.

I've been playing standing up in rocker pose!!! headbang
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2007, 02:06:12 AM »

Sitting down.  I have an older rear-projection TV, and it's a bit harder to see standing up.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2007, 02:29:11 AM »

Ok I just tried the first song on Medium and it kicked my butt!  It said 83% of notes hit, but added that 4th color really is a doozy!  I think the notes came faster, too!
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2007, 02:35:00 AM »

i have to stand. I can't move my fingers fast enough while sitting down. It feels too cramped. I usually sit in between loading screens, they take a while and is usually enough not to get sore so fast.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2007, 02:37:55 AM »

Sitting down unless someone is watching, then I stand up to look cool smile

The guitar is nice and you can pretty easily hit the star power button with your palm (if you don't want to tilt although tilt is really easy with this one).  If your hand get even a little bit sweaty, you get smudges over the glossy guitar surface.  I hear Rockband guitar is even better but friggin' wired!  I wonder how the same songs will play in Rockband?  Same note pattern?  I think Rockband will be better even if you just want to play the guitar since those guys seem to be more interested in evolving the game while GH3 is the same as GH2.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2007, 02:51:08 AM »

I play just like I pee....sitti.....I mean standing.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2007, 03:06:54 AM »

Quote from: jblank on October 28, 2007, 11:38:26 PM

Anybody?????????
This happened to me tonight as well.  A friend came over, recovered his account onto my 360 and then didn't get any of the achievements that we got playing co-op.  That kinda sucks.. I'm not really looking forward to playing through the co-op 4 times just to get the back-up and lead achievements for both of us.

Quote from: KePoW on October 28, 2007, 11:21:37 PM

completely agree here too... on Expert, a lot of songs are harder to play in the game than in real life.  the One solo is a perfect example, in real life it's really not that hard (as long as you have the tapping speed, the sequence of tapped notes is very simple)...but I won't ever be able to perfect the game version on Expert
I just got to the final set.. Now you've got me curious to see how they added false difficulty to the One solo.

As for playing, I play sitting down with the guitar on my right leg. 

« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 03:09:04 AM by Loomi » Logged

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2007, 04:31:13 AM »

We only looked briefly, so might not have seen it, but did they definitely take out the ability to choose individual difficulty settings for co-op quickplay?  Looks like in quickplay, you pick one difficulty for both, so if you want to play at different difficulties, you have to work through the co-op campaign.

Also, it looks like in campaign co-op, it only saves progress at the lowest difficulty selected.  A buddy and I were going through on Hard, and got to the second tier.  My GF hopped in, and backed down to easy, but then only the first four songs were available. 

I'm hoping I'm just missing something.  If they made multiplayer this inconvenient, it's just another reason to ditch GH3 once Rock Band comes out.  One of the things that made GH2 so excellent was the ease of playing multiplayer.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2007, 05:02:03 AM »

played for many, many hours today and had a blast...game plays just as wells as GH2, and the new song list is great.  i've been playing the hard career and have finished every song except 'Raining Blood.'  that stupid song is giving me a much harder time than pretty much anything else in the game.  i was even able to finish 'One' on my first try (with 4 stars), but just can't survive that Slayer song yet.  as for the rest of the list, i've earned 5-star ratings on everything through tier six...right before the game takes a huge jump in difficulty on Hard.  the songs in tiers seven and eight are much more challenging, but most are still a lot of fun...except than damn 'Raining Blood' icon_mad

i'm really enjoying the loosened up HO/PO system because it does allow them to put in some pretty crazy runs that would have been almost impossibly difficult on GH2...also makes you feel pretty badass to play a whole solo without strumming after the first note.  i haven't really messed with the multiplayer yet, but i'll get to it soon.  i'm just having too much fun with all the new songs on my own right now

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
SpicyJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2007, 07:12:03 AM »

My post over at OO, quoted here:

Career mode on hard == beaten.

Took me 2 tries to get past Satan (I wish they'd make the game more about, you know, the music and stuff, not all the imagery :/ Although I liked all the cut-scenes up until that one, rather than just a bus going back and forth). I really, really dislike that boss battle thing.

I honestly can't see any normal human ever beating this game on expert.

Zaxxon; I signed up for the tour thing, my nick is JXPrime (same as my gamer tag).

I also tried linking it online and got that invalid slot token error.

There's definitely less songs I liked in this one that any previous game, including the 80s version. I can think of maybe 5-7 songs I'd really like to play again...the rest are meh. I haven't tried any of the unlockable songs yet either.

More to come as I trudge through expert.

Additionally, I got the game at about 12:15 this morning, and it's 11:51pm now. I need help. smile

Edit: Looks like you can view the leaderboards by career difficulty...I'm 147th overall for hard. Smile And also 3014th for "Campaign" which I'm guessing is any song, cumulative? Maybe?

GT/OO Weight Loss Tracker: http://www.jxprime.net/WeightTracker
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: