http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 05:32:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath  (Read 6294 times)
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2005, 10:48:44 PM »

Something better happen soon cuz I am starting to lose interest.  I am actually getting a little tired of the bounties.  After about 10 bounties it is all getting to seem so pointless.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2005, 11:15:13 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Something better happen soon cuz I am starting to lose interest.  I am actually getting a little tired of the bounties.  After about 10 bounties it is all getting to seem so pointless.

It gets more interesting. And soon too.

I lioked the story of this game a lot. And it had an interesting message. This really come forth in the second half of the game.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2005, 06:20:26 PM »

Rented it; it's the only console game to tear me away from WoW.

I've gotten the 2nd bounty, so first time at store with money; bought all upgrades. Takin' em all in alive. Binoculars are way cool and very helpful.

It'd suck if there was a jailbreak, and because I only killed 2 or 3 henchmen. I mean, I'd have a small army to contend with.  :shock: Yeesh.

Oh, and sofar I can save anywhere. Way to go, Oddworld!!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2005, 11:29:28 PM »

Well, I couldn't hang.  I traded it off today toward Devil May Cry 3.  Lost interest after the tenth bounty.  I hear that the second half or third is different somehow, so maybe some day down the road I will rent it and try and finish it.  For now, I am ready to move on.  Off to tackle MGS3.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2005, 04:15:36 PM »

Whoa.

I gots to bag me that Packrat Palooka but that sumbitch is T-U-F tough! Like all of them so far, he'd be very easy to kill but I want them captured alive, dammit!

With all the bosses up until now, it was fairly easy to experiment with different ammo types until you find the one that whittles down the stamina bar. But this guy has a forcefield and guided rockets and henchmen with flamethrowers... JEEZ!

The big problem is trying to keep pressure on his stamina bar but that's VERY hard to do with it constantly regenerating while he's hiding under his forcefield. I have to figure out the best ammo combination but with all that chaos it seems nearly impossible.

I also didn't try shooting the guided rockets... I wonder if that works.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2005, 06:15:51 PM »

Well, I couldn't hang.  I traded it off today toward Devil May Cry 3.  Lost interest after the tenth bounty.  I hear that the second half or third is different somehow, so maybe some day down the road I will rent it and try and finish it.  For now, I am ready to move on.  Off to tackle MGS3.

[Possible Spoiler]
Wow, I think you were there. I dont think you had any farther to go really. Oh well, if you didnt like the bounties it wouldnt be all that different for the second part. Different yes, but not all that much different.
[end possible spoiler]
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2005, 03:08:43 PM »

Has anyone tried the select-level cheat?  I read at gamefaqs and other places that you start a new game under the name

(c)@(r)&

and you are supposed to be able to pick your level-however you pick em.  That I can't seem to find an explanation for.

I  would rent the game if I was sure this would work and I could skip to the second half since the bounties kind of got boring to me.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2005, 04:51:23 AM »

just got the game today, i loved how all the chickens would run inside their homes/businesses when I started slapping them.  they wouldn't let me in until I calmed down biggrin

So far pretty fun, but I'm getting the spiderman 2 vibe.  Fun for the first few hours, then you realize how repetitive and shallow the game is.  

I'm hoping that's not the case, because it has loads of atmosphere.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2005, 07:13:02 AM »

I love the chicken line, "Now, now, don't get us all riled up!" biggrin

I wouldn't call it shallow, but the difficulty has ramped up fast. (Of course, the difficulty largely comes down to the capture vs. kill choice.) New ammo gets introduced at a brisk pace while new items and enemy types keep things interesting. You can check the automated fortune teller to get a taste of what's in store. (How weird is that feature? It's like a TV commercial for the game you're playing right inside the game.)

Still haven't seen the second half where it reportedly moves away from the bounty mission structure.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2005, 05:09:13 AM »

Man this game gets better and better.  I'm sitting in jail right now listening to the three inmates bicker at each other.

Kaigen on #GG seems to think that the bandit's voice is low quality.  It does sound muffled, but I think it's supposed to be that way.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2005, 07:13:11 AM »

Quote from: "naednek"
Man this game gets better and better.  I'm sitting in jail right now listening to the three inmates bicker at each other.

Kaigen on #GG seems to think that the bandit's voice is low quality.  It does sound muffled, but I think it's supposed to be that way.

Yeah, there are some low quality stuff in the game.  The Clackers are probably the most obvious.  With Stranger I think it's purposeful and I think he sounds pretty good.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2005, 08:26:32 AM »

Stranger's voice bugged me for a while, but not after a little while. It wasnt the quality as much, but the pitch. It was literally too low for me. Kind of like hellboy. It just sounded unnatural and forced. But really still a great game. I was pleasently surprised by the game (especially since it was from EA, I dislike them  smile ).
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2005, 03:44:33 PM »

Review for this title on the front page. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
markymarklar
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2005, 11:00:32 PM »

for those of you that don't like the controls or are left handed, you really should try playing the game with a smart joy frag(the thing that allows you to use a mouse and keyboard).  i couldn't play it at all since i'm lefthanded and EA doesn't give any other control styles in any of their FPS games.  anyway, the accuracy is so much better that it makes you wonder if they are going to release this for the PC too.  for those of you that don't have a smart frag, if you play alot of FPS's or love halo or halo2, then i would highly recommend getting this little device.  it allowed me to really get into the game since i didn't have to even think about controls.

great game.  rent it though since it's kinda short and there isn't much replay value.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2005, 10:05:39 PM »

Well, beat the game today and I must say that the last 30 percent is some of the best gaming I have had on the Xbox.  Better than Halo in my opinion.  In my top 5 of Xbox experiences.  If only the first 2/3 were like the last third.  I would have probably ranked as the best, or tied for the best on the box.  

I might pick it up some time when it is $19.99.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2005, 05:43:54 AM »

Well, beat the game today and I must say that the last 30 percent is some of the best gaming I have had on the Xbox.  Better than Halo in my opinion.  In my top 5 of Xbox experiences.  If only the first 2/3 were like the last third.  I would have probably ranked as the best, or tied for the best on the box.  

I might pick it up some time when it is $19.99.

I can agree with you there, if you are comparing to Halo single player that is  smile . The last third of this game is awsome, but the first part just seems to have little purpose. If there was multiplayer I might pick it up, but I have way too many games to play to just play the single player part again.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: