http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 08:39:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath  (Read 6271 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2005, 01:58:17 AM »

I liked the other Oddworld games but I'm a little iffy on this one although the reviews seem good. Did we really need another FPS?

Anyone else?
CG Staff?

biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 02:53:27 AM »

I'm a huge Oddworld fan (even spent a silly amount of money buying the limited edition Art of Oddworld book), but I'm not really sure what to expect with this one either.  Gameplay doesn't seem remotely comparable to the previous three, but it still seems pretty unique and interesting.  I'm excited that it's finally about to come out and from what I've seen it retains the unique Oddworld humor and character.

I liked Munch, though it was nowhere near to being the classics that the Abe games were - hopefully this will be another great Oddworld game, regardless of the change in gameplay.

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 03:11:29 AM »

From what I understand it is a cross between the last Oddworld (3rd person action/adventure) and an FPS.  I am interested in it, although I don't know if I'll be buying it straight out...may rent it first.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 03:43:08 AM »

I don't think we need another console FPS (yeah, yeah :twisted: ), but I really like the unique characters and humor in the other Oddworld titles.  I will likely pick it up, but not right away.

I think it looks interesting.  "The Stranger" obviously fills my mind with images of playing through those classic Eastwood westerns.  Personally I am just as interested in all the strange twists the development has taken as I am with the finished product.

Oh yeah, I also want to be the first to mention the "living ammo."  I don't know why that seems to be the games big selling point, but there you go.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 04:44:07 AM »

I'd love to get it, but my boycott of EA stuff holds strong.  That said, I've loved Oddworld Inhabitants since their first, so I hate denying them money.  I'm tempted to buy a used copy, and just send them the difference between that and a new one.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 05:33:43 AM »

Quote from: "Chaz"
I'd love to get it, but my boycott of EA stuff holds strong.  That said, I've loved Oddworld Inhabitants since their first, so I hate denying them money.  I'm tempted to buy a used copy, and just send them the difference between that and a new one.

Well, although I can understand your boycott...we wouldn't be seeing this game if EA hadn't have picked it up.  Microsoft dropped it (don't know why, probably because they didn't feel it was going to sell well, much like Voodoo Vince, Munch and the forthcoming Psychonauts) and EA picked it up.  It could be very fruitful for both Oddworld Inhabitants and EA, although chances are if it goes well EA will consume that developer as well.

I think the FPS sections fit what type of game it is.  The Stranger is a bounty hunter, so he's obviously going to use targeting weapons (with the added beauty of live ammo).  He's also very strong, big and fast.  This is in stark contrast to Abe and Munch who had to use their brains because they were considered weaklings.  That's just my take on it...I've always loved the Oddworld games and so far the reviews have been pretty good for it that I have read.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 03:24:32 AM »

It's getting awfully good scores.  I'll probably still rent before buying (a route I take more often than before...better to blow $7 on a rental than $50 on a crappy game is what I say), but the urge is certainly growing.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 03:39:12 PM »

so... did it come out on time, or not?  is it available now?

thanks,

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2005, 06:08:11 PM »

It shipped yesterday, should be in the game stores today (EB, Gamestop).

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 07:32:47 PM »

thanks,

i have a pre-order at EB, so i'll definitely be getting it.  it was a way to get someone a Christmas present after i was out of money, LOL, now i have to pay the rest!  no, it wasn't a "cheap" gift - she really wanted the game.  not that i mind seeing how it looks...

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 09:12:32 PM »

Shhhh!  TheMissingLink just left to go grab it - I'll make sure he posts some impressions tonight   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 12:07:03 AM »

After playing through the tutorial I am quite impressed.  Everything seems so cool biggrin  The Stranger is a badass mofo, lemme tell ya.  The different ammo seems great; good oppertunity for different strategies when getting bounty on enemies.  Graphics are gorgeous.  THERE'S A DOUBLE JUMP!  So, all is good!

TheMissingLink on PSN
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2005, 12:16:37 AM »

I just got home with a spanky brand new copy.

Skimpy manual but the different live ammo beasties look clever and fun.

I'll be back with impressions later on.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2005, 12:20:03 AM »

I too got a copy.   Had some store credit and couldn't see anything coming any time in the next month or so that I HAVE to have, so, what the heck.  Back with impressions at some point.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2005, 02:02:23 AM »

I'd like to hear a bit more about the "live ammo" bit.  It seems really gimmicky to me, and not exactly a lot of fun.  The worst part of any FPS for me (and especially a console one) is trying to shoot some stupid little fucker on the ground like a headcrab or whatever.  Having to do that, aiming with a controller, just to collect ammo sounds like a horrible idea to me.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2005, 03:59:53 AM »

Well, you gotta hunt for the ammo...but it really isn't hunting.  There are usually little nests where they critters hang out at.  It isn't tough at all.  Kinda neat, actually.

TheMissingLink on PSN
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2005, 06:02:39 AM »

Yeah, I also like it a lot.

I played the tutorial plus the first level where you have to rescue a wagon train.

It took me a while to figure out when I should switch back and forth between 1st and 3rd person, but now I have a good handle on it. The first person game plays a lot like Halo, especially with the whole "shaking off wounds" thing. (You can hit the Y button at any time to replenish your health by using up stamina, which regenerates pretty fast when you're at rest.) In third person mode, you have melee combat moves, fast running, and you can suck-up the enemies you've knocked-out (thus earning a higher bounty than if they're dead.)

I like how you always have a choice of how to approach a group of enemies. You can use stealth by hiding in the tall reeds, you can shoot from a distance, or you can run in close and headbutt them. Lots of different strategies, and even more when you factor in the wide variety of ammo types and their different uses. Speaking of ammo, the animations are quite funny, especially the Chippunk. (He actually talks to you.)

I've always enjoyed the art and production design of the Oddworld games and this is no exception. They do a great job providing their unique spin on the western theme. I loved wandering around town listening to the trucker-hat-wearing chicken-folk converse with one another. Funny stuff.

As for ammo collecting, it's not too annoying since shooting and collecting one varmint usually translates to 5 ammo units of that critter type. It doesn't take long at all to stock up.

One negative is that I'm not too fond of the D-pad interface for swapping ammo in your double barrelled crossbow. I don't like that it pauses the game and takes you to a separate screen just to switch ammo types. It's okay for strategizing before you attack but kind of a pain if you want to go to Plan B in mid-fight. But that's a minor complaint.

Early impressions = A
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2005, 03:47:13 PM »

Nice!

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2005, 02:29:14 AM »

Did anybody get the bonus DVD with this?  I would love to get a copy, but I didn't pre-order it and don't feel like ordering from EB with the slim hope of actually getting one.

If you did and you are done watching it drop me a line.  I would make it worth your while with cash or trade biggrin

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2005, 02:57:20 AM »

I got it and would consider swapping it for something or selling.  pm me and we can discuss it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2005, 02:16:29 AM »

Finally cracked open the game and have taken down the first two bounties, and I will agree with many before me in saying that the game oozes character.  And it is quite funny.  Just listening to the bad guys yelling things and calling you names during the fights is hilarious stuff.  

Should sport lots of fun as I progress.   Hasn't been awfully difficult up to this point, but I am sure the bosses getting very difficult as you move up the food chain.  

One thing is for sure, you can approach each mission is so many different ways, that it seems it would be almost endless.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2005, 03:12:22 AM »

How much of the game consists of platforming? I'd really love to get this game, but I don't enjoy platform games very much. Jak III is a perfect example of a title that has too much hopping around for my taste.

If the game is mostly FPS or third person combat, then I'm in.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2005, 12:47:51 PM »

Miniscule platforming to this point that I have seen, and what teeny bit there has been has been nothing more than climbing a rope to get to a second level or jumping between a few boulders to get across where a broken bridge is.  

I too despise platformers that make you jump around JUST for the sake of seeing if you can successfully jump around, and they all seem to do that crap.  But this game, to this point anyway, only makes you jump when it makes perfect sense to.  Like in one level I had to climb a couple of ropes to get up to a ledge, knock down a rickety column that falls over and lands on a wall that I can scale to breach a fortress, and stuff like that.  And that was it for that whole level.  

And the BEST part is you don't have to do all that.  I didn't have to knock down the column to get in the fortress.  I did the same fortress attack again and this time I just walked up to the gate and started wailing away at it and the doors eventually disintergrated and I just marched right in.  Your choice.

Maybe the others can chime in, but after taking down the first two bad guys I would say platforming is virtually a non issue.  

By the way, platforming is why I quite Jak 3 after 30 minutes.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2005, 05:19:57 PM »

Thanks, mikeg. The game looks like a wnner, especially since you can save anywhere.

By the way, platforming is why I quite Jak 3 after 30 minutes.

Yup, me too.  I could see that there was a good game under the hood, but in about an hour I was done. The platforming was too abundant, which is not against the actual game, rather just my preferences. Ratchet and Clank handled platforming much, much better. (IMHO)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2005, 05:59:22 PM »

Has anyone been able to capture (as opposed to kill) the final boss in the first town (MINOR SPOILER: the one who comes to break out his brother).  First of all, that was a dramatic jump in difficulty for me, but secondly, I've tried it four or five times and have  yet to take him down without killing him.  Any ideas?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2005, 06:30:11 PM »

This sounds like somethign I would really enjoy, I think a rental is on the way.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2005, 06:56:57 PM »

I hardly can take any of the bosses alive. I have only taken one alive yet out of 4. Bummer. Im not very good at that.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2005, 11:36:40 PM »

I haven't played the game, but I read one review suggesting that people play through just killing the bosses the first time and then going back through to capture them on the second play.  He suggested it made the game feel completely different on the next play through.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2005, 12:26:32 AM »

I just read something on GameFAQs that was interesting about taking the bosses alive.  It's important to realize that, unlike regular thugs, bosses have a stamina bar like the stranger.  You can't capture them until that stamina bar is lowered.  Useful info.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2005, 12:59:45 AM »

Yeah, they get winded and fall over when you've done that...I almost killed one of them, but luckily, was able to get his stamina bar all the way down before he died biggrin  I've taken every boss down so far alive (4 of them I believe) and a couple have been tricky.

TheMissingLink on PSN
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2005, 05:07:41 AM »

I too have been successful (not to mention anal) with capturing them alive, and not just the bosses but every enemy. So far I think I only killed 2 henchmen. I've earned enough money to purchase almost all the upgrades. (Man, are those binoculars cool. I love the focus effect.)

Took me a while to capture that last boss in the first town after the jailbreak. I found the Thud Beetles (or whatever those cannonball bugs are called) to be quite helpful. Nail them in the gut then while they're stunned, you run in for the headbutt. The trick is not to let him rest and recuperate.

I just finished the first town and I'm off to earn more moolah for my mysterious operation. That's a pretty cool story hook, actually. I'm very curious about that. I hope the eventual reveal isn't stupid.

I think I'll go play some right now!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2005, 05:29:02 PM »

mysterious operation. That's a pretty cool story hook, actually.

Totally agree.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2005, 07:38:04 PM »

here's another vote for Stranger - i gave a copy to a 52 year old woman, and one to a 14 year old boy - and they both love it.  the boy - excuse me - young man, played it for about 12 hours the first day.  the woman had to work the next day and started it at 9 PM, but played until 12 AM -  and didn't want to quit.

it also is a fun game to watch, and those are rare.  it looked to me to be a little too easy in sections, and a little too hard in sections, but that's not a bad thing, and only an impression from watching.  the graphics are great, the comments are hysterical, and the uniqueness is far better than average.

the only thing i'd hold back on, is what age child you'd let play this.  Just like in Munch's Oddysee, the entire game could be played by almost any age child, maybe starting at about 7 to 10 years of age depending on ability and whether you allow them to "shoot" anything in games.  however, IMO, there are some scenes many people would be cautious of exposing their children to -  ie, killing dog-like creatures in the meat grinder type of  thing (and they whine quite realistically).  other than that, this game looks stupendous!  

i'll play it as soon as i fulfill my vow to finish my half-done games (almost done with Thief, Fable is next!)... or until one of the two people finishes Stranger... :twisted:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2005, 08:01:12 AM »

Been really enjoying this game. Hoping to beat it tomorrow before I need to return it at midnight. Ive gotten pretty far with it so far, but I end up taking the bosses dead. Its pretty difficult to take them alive some times, but still fun and a good time. I love the graphics and the sound. Pretty much the whole game. I saw that supposedly it was coming out for the PS2. Is this still happening? Will they have to dumb down the graphics? Its pretty impressive if not.

Great game, highly recommended.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2005, 12:59:02 PM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
I saw that supposedly it was coming out for the PS2. Is this still happening? Will they have to dumb down the graphics? Its pretty impressive if not.

As far as I know the PS2 version was canceled because it would have taken 6+ months extra to port it over as they ran into some problems.  EA's site shows "Only on Xbox", I'm not sure if the game box itself says that or not though.  I think it's safe to say this won't port over to PS2...but who knows.

Simon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2005, 07:24:03 AM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
(Man, are those binoculars cool. I love the focus effect.)

Are the binoculars only available in the first town? I don't think I went in the General Store there and I haven't seen them at all in any of the other towns. I got the Sniper Darts so I at least have the scope now.

I just discovered the secret of the operation. Pretty neat little twist. I'm truly loving this game and can't get over how beautiful the environments are and how fun it all is. Even my two and a half year old gets a real kick out of spin-kicking chickens in town. smile
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2005, 01:48:18 PM »

Sounds like Ethan is one crazy chicken kicker. That would be annoying if the binoculars didn't show up for purchase again.

Took me a long time last night to capture Jo Momma alive but I did it. I settled on a Skunk bomb and Zap fly combination after I took out all her henchmen and I finally got across the electrified wire after many, many tries. Then I cornered that crazy old hag and headbutted her into submission.

Can't wait to find the sniper darts!
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2005, 04:39:35 PM »

Wow. Just finished it. Great ride. It just kept getting better. No spoilers, dont worry, but all I can say is keep playing. It gets even better. Great game.  biggrin
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2005, 06:46:51 PM »

Must.rent.now.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2005, 07:23:48 PM »

Yeah its getting hard to resist this title. Thanks guys...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: