http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 02:50:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: October NPDs  (Read 2785 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2007, 12:14:02 AM »

Shamelessy cribbed from Neogaf:

HW Results

Wii 519K
Nintendo DS 458K
Xbox 360 366K
PSP 286K
PlayStation 2 184K
PlayStation 3 121K

Top 10 SW
Rank # Units
360 HALO 3 * MICROSOFT (CORP) SEP 2007 MATURE (M) 1 433.8K
360 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ GUITACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 2 383.2K
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ GUITACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 3 286.3K
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ GUITACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 4 271.1K
NDS LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS NINTENDO OF AMERICA SEP 2007 EVERYONE (E) 5 262.8K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA FEB 2007 EVERYONE (E) 6 239.7K
360 HALF LIFE 2: EPISODE 2 THE ORANGE BOX ELECTRONIC ARTS OCT 2007 MATURE (M) 7 238.4K
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 8 231.7K
PS2 FIFA SOCCER 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS OCT 2007 EVERYONE (E) 9 129.7K
NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A NINTENDO OF AMERICA AUG 2007 EVERYONE (E) 10 116.9K

More SW:

NR Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (PS3) 105,800
NR Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (PSP) 98,100
NR Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3) 74,500
NR Project Gotham Racing 4 (Xbox 360) 38,300

Poor GH3 & Ratchet. What the hell happened to PGR4

And from our prediction thread.

[360 Ace Combat 6] = 92.5K
[360 Guitar Hero III] = 490.9K
[360 Halo 3] = 394.5K
[360 The Orange Box] = 238.4K
[NDS Zelda: Phantom Hourglass] = 262.8K
[PS2 Guitar Hero III] = 502.7K
[PS3 Ratchet & Clank Future] = 74.5K
[PS3 Guitar Hero III] = 105.8K
[WII Guitar Hero III] = 286.3K
[WII Metroid Prime 3] = 45.2K

(Comments above are from a Neogaffer, my comments below)

I've been saying for a while now that there would be a downturn in individual 360 title sales as the library grew so much more diverse and I think that's in full effect here.  Orange Box just over 200k?  PGR4 is a complete and total bomb of epic proportions.  Ace Combat didn't crack 100k.   A year ago those titles would have been doing significantly better. 

R&C is a total bomb, just like everything else on Sony's platform.  I'm sorry but barring a miracle boost from the November $399 SKU, the PS3 is completely dead and unrevivable. 

GH3 on Wii is surprisingly strong, besting even the PS2 version.  Or maybe it's not too surprising since it's a good fit for the platform demographics.  Still, it's probably the strongest performer yet on the Wii for a "true" multiplatform title. 

Really nice numbers for FFT. 

EDIT- Actually it looks like the PS2 version of GH3 is on there twice for with guitar and without.  So that might make the PS2 version king.  Still, really good showing for the Wii SKU (which is with guitar only obviously). 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 12:17:51 AM by Kevin Grey » Logged
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 12:29:34 AM »

Consoles:

Wii - everyone and their Pop is purchasing this thing.  I think many started feeling like the Wii was growing stale but Super Mario Galaxy has apparently revived the enjoyment (also personally it has for me - I haven't played anything but Wii Sports the last three, four months?).

Xbox 360 - invading college fraternities at a nice pace.

PS3 - oh PS3.  You have GOOD games now.  Those that have your console (the majority at least...) think you're pretty damn nifty.  But I have NO idea how you're going to recover from this.  Perhaps it'll take MGS and FF to dig you out of where you are... but being in the hole like this month after month after month is only making that tough uphill climb back to console supremacy that much harder.  *Edit* interested in seeing how the price-drop increases sales next month...

Games:

GHIII is expected.  WII PLAY - GET OUT OF HERE SILLYPANTS!  MS & Sony should take note - pack in a game with a controller and SHIZAM you have a winner.

Ratchet and Clank.  What happen... someone set you up the bomb.  You're an awesome game, my friend - don't let software sales tell you otherwise.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 12:40:21 AM by depward » Logged

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 12:37:08 AM »

I don't think these NPD numbers factor in the price drop, anyone know for sure?  I know these are just the north american numbers.  So once again, I'd like to see worldwide numbers.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 12:42:48 AM »

I'm taking Guitar Hero 3 back and demanding my missing Guitactivision!!! smile

Ratchet and Clank was only out for a week for purposes of these numbers right?  So maybe it's not soooo dire.  Still, it gets harder and harder for me to see the logic behind PS3-exclusive studios anymore.

PGR4 - yeah I never understood the people crying doom over the Bizarre purchase.  I think they're talented and that those numbers are a travesty for such a great game, but I never saw a reason for MS to buy them out.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 12:44:48 AM by kathode » Logged
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 12:46:07 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 16, 2007, 12:37:08 AM

I don't think these NPD numbers factor in the price drop, anyone know for sure?  I know these are just the north american numbers.  So once again, I'd like to see worldwide numbers.

Yep that's indeed correct - price drop was on Nov 2...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 12:50:43 AM »

Quote from: kathode on November 16, 2007, 12:42:48 AM

Still, it gets harder and harder for me to see the logic behind PS3-exclusive studios anymore.

I don't see the logic behind exclusive studios at all.  Unless Sony/MS/Nintendo is paying you a boatload of money, make the game for whatever system you think you can make a profit on.

gellar
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 12:51:06 AM »

Ratchet and Clank was only out for a week for purposes of these numbers right?  So maybe it's not soooo dire.  Still, it gets harder and harder for me to see the logic behind PS3-exclusive studios anymore.

But most people that are going to definitely buy a game buy it in the first week. At least until word of mouth gets around (maybe). I'm gonna stick with kathode here - PS3 exclusive games are gonna take yet another drop after something as huge as the R&C series bombs.

And really sad - 286K people got a horribly broken and shitty ass MONO ONLY port of Guitar Hero 3 on the Wii. I am impressed it hit #2 though. Is that because of supply constraints, or because that's all it sold?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 12:51:31 AM »

So even when a good game like R&C comes out PS3 owners still won't buy games...I guess they're all just people who bought it for a Blu-Ray player.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 01:02:15 AM »

So the 360's brief rise to the top was completely due to the launch of Halo 3 and now things are back to Nintendo Happy Land?
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 01:11:28 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 16, 2007, 12:14:02 AM

R&C is a total bomb, just like everything else on Sony's platform.  I'm sorry but barring a miracle boost from the November $399 SKU, the PS3 is completely dead and unrevivable. 

I'm fairly certain Sony is now going to get some serious traction. I'm expecting 400,000 or more units to move in November. The real question is will the PS3 suffer from PSP-itis? (Hardware will fly off the shelves, but games sales will remain soft.)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 01:16:59 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 16, 2007, 12:37:08 AM

I can't find the link to the news story I read earlier, but the price drop has helped the PS3 sales.

edit:  ok, found it here.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 01:17:39 AM »

Quote from: gellar on November 16, 2007, 12:50:43 AM

Still, it gets harder and harder for me to see the logic behind PS3-exclusive studios anymore.

I don't see the logic behind exclusive studios at all.  Unless Sony/MS/Nintendo is paying you a boatload of money, make the game for whatever system you think you can make a profit on.

gellar

I have no doubt at all that Insomniac is suitably compensated by Sony for remaining "loyal". 
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 01:50:05 AM »

I wouldn't call the PS3 dead yet.  Looking at CeeKay's article, it states that over 5 million PS3's have been sold to date.  That is basically one year (or 11 months?)  Looking at Wiki (not the best source I realize), the 360 sold approximately 5 million in their first year (and only 11 million over two years).  Yet I don't recall anyone complaining that the 360 was d0med.  I think that the PS3 is going to have a very good second year.  It had a significant price drop which is going to pick up hardware sales (it made me get one) and it's got some good games coming down the pipe.  The PS3 won't overtake the 360 that's for certain but I'm predicting that the PS3 will have a better second year than the 360 did.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 01:55:58 AM »

Holy crap that's a lot of Guitar Hero III !
I'd really like to see the Canadian numbers, because the PS3 price drop came into effect here in October. I'd be very surprised if PS3 sales didn't spike in Canada in October, at least that's the indicators I've gotten based on how many I've seen being bought during visits to the big box stores.
I'm surprised that the x360 sales remained that high, I personally had them pegged at somewhere between 300 & 350K. It'll be interesting to see if its sales continue in the 350 - 400K range on an ongoing basis.
And like others I'm surprised, actually shocked, at the Ratchet and Clank numbers. I really thought it sales would be somewhere in the vicinity of 200K.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 02:08:25 AM »

Ratchet and Clank deserved better. 

I really do not see how the PS3 will ever get out of distant 3rd place.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 02:16:21 AM »

Re: Ratchet & Clank- while I don't know how much it would have helped, an Insomniac staffer had a good point- Sony basically bungled the marketing by continuously changing release dates then having copies trickle into stores while their commercials didn't start until the 30th.  So November might be a little better. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 02:20:34 AM »

That sucks for Ratchet, hopefully next year the PS3 will pick up steam and be a real contender during the holiday season.

As for the 360, I wonder if all the big November releases will put it back above the 400k mark for that month.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 03:06:04 AM »

I'm shocked that the effects of halo3 on 360 did not carry over beyond release month.

Zow.

I wonder if there will be a significant jump in price for the Wii as we approach Christmas due to continued lack of supply.

Oh and Orange box only moved 230k?  That's not good is it? How well did it do on pc?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 03:09:28 AM »

Yeah, I was wondering about the lack of R&C marketing, I saw basic online and print ads, but nothing really special, and the game just showed up one day.

In fact, Sony's marketing department is really bad about this sort of thing.  Heck, just one look at the earlier (and current) PSP and PS3 ad campaigns coming from Sony's internal market tells you how bad things are at Sony's internal marketing department.  Then you take a look at the latest ads for the PS3, which look really good.  Sony's internal marketing teams need to be fired.

Heh, I'm planning to sell my Wii this holidays while prices are inflated due to demand.  Don't think I'll get much more than retail, but it's alright, I'm not using it, and my little sister likes playing the downloadable games on the 360 and PS3 more.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 03:14:36 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 16, 2007, 01:50:05 AM

I wouldn't call the PS3 dead yet.  Looking at CeeKay's article, it states that over 5 million PS3's have been sold to date.  That is basically one year (or 11 months?)  Looking at Wiki (not the best source I realize), the 360 sold approximately 5 million in their first year (and only 11 million over two years).  Yet I don't recall anyone complaining that the 360 was d0med.

The reason why is games. 360 owners have been buying games. PS3 owners arn't. In the end thats what makes the money and thats why the PS3 is not "ok" right now.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 03:16:46 AM »

Sony claimed that they sold 75,000 PS3's in the last week of this NPD reporting period. So do the math. Even if they start selling more hardware, the games sales are abysmal, and there really aren't any signs of the competition letting up. It's good to see Sony be more competitive, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I love my PS3, looking forward to Uncharted, but they've painted themselves into a corner with radioactive paint.

I honestly would not be surprised if we see the Wii sell close to or more than a Million units in either November or December. They've been stockpiling systems for these two months all year long, and it will be interesting to see how things look.

Nintendo still needs to do SOMETHING to help third party software sales, and software sales in general. With their install base they need to figure out a way to motivate people in to buying more games.

What IS interesting is that the Price Drop caused the PS3 to finally outsell the Wii for one week in Japan, which is especially amazing considering that the PS3 was outsold by the 360 the week prior.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 03:22:08 AM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2007, 04:09:43 AM »

Quote from: ATB on November 16, 2007, 03:06:04 AM

Oh and Orange box only moved 230k?  That's not good is it? How well did it do on pc?

No, it's not good at all.  Not a bomb but it should definitely have done over 300k.  Valve never releases PC numbers and while I imagine that it did very well for them on the PC (and likely far better than the 360) I don't think the overlap between PC and 360 owners is so great that it works as an excuse.  Given the quality and value of Orange Box offers along with being a bullseye for the 360 demographic, it should be doing significantly better. 

I'm telling you, a lot of publishers who have been relying on the 360 being their bread and butter are going to have frowns at the end of this holiday season. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 04:26:35 AM »

The Orange Box didn't do that well because the market is saturated with first-person shooters. I think after Halo 3 people decided to wait for CoD4. Not only that, but The Orange Box is more of a value on paper than reality. We get a two year old PC game that's already been released on last-gen platforms, the first expansion which came out a year ago, and the 3-4 hour second expansion. If you don't care about Portal (I personally didn't put more than half an hour into it) and your MP gaming time is still being dedicated to Halo 3, Orange Box isn't that great of a set.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2007, 12:51:47 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 16, 2007, 04:26:35 AM

The Orange Box didn't do that well because the market is saturated with first-person shooters. I think after Halo 3 people decided to wait for CoD4. Not only that, but The Orange Box is more of a value on paper than reality. We get a two year old PC game that's already been released on last-gen platforms, the first expansion which came out a year ago, and the 3-4 hour second expansion. If you don't care about Portal (I personally didn't put more than half an hour into it) and your MP gaming time is still being dedicated to Halo 3, Orange Box isn't that great of a set.

That does make a lot of sense.

I thought Half-Life was one of the greatest games ever and have relished getting the opportuntiy to play part 2- and have waited for it since the moment I finished part one.  That said- I've barely touched it.

Halo3 MP is just too good.  COD4 MP is just too good.  The DS is killing with its line up right now and I'm to the point now where there are games releasing (Assassin's Creed) that I'm 'saving' until the next lull.

That said, OB is a great package- and what I've played of portal so far has been great. TF2- not so much with the net code issues.  And HL2? Well, it has definitely been up and down.  I can see why if someone doesn't have a history with the series they wouldn't be interested.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2007, 05:26:03 PM »

I think its just an example of even good releases not doing as well. Its been said before but there's not only allot of games being released as usual this fall but allot of AAA stuff. There's things that I haven't bought yet that I want to because I don't want to have my CC bill come next month and see gulp as I see the huge increase in my balance so I've held off.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2007, 05:31:23 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 16, 2007, 04:09:43 AM

I'm telling you, a lot of publishers who have been relying on the 360 being their bread and butter are going to have frowns at the end of this holiday season. 

If the dumb-asses would quit releasing every single good game in a 2 month span, they might see some better sales.  We're not all human ATM's, y'know.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2007, 05:37:53 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 16, 2007, 05:31:23 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 16, 2007, 04:09:43 AM

If the dumb-asses would quit releasing every single good game in a 2 month span, they might see some better sales.  We're not all human ATM's, y'know.

+1/ cosign / Simpsons did it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2007, 06:05:22 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 16, 2007, 03:16:46 AM

Nintendo still needs to do SOMETHING to help third party software sales, and software sales in general. With their install base they need to figure out a way to motivate people in to buying more games.

This is my biggest bone of contention with Big N right now. I think it's great that they've finally got an excellent console that's selling well. And I think it's great than in it's 1st year they managed to release 4 AAA games for it; 1 of which is quite possibly 1 of the best games released in many years.

However, their lack of co-marketing efforts with 3rd parties is a real concern. They just don't seem to be able to shake the 'screw you 3rd parties we'll go it alone with our own games' mentality that they were forced to adopt during the N64 era. Contrast that with Microsoft who continually offer bundles that include 3rd party titles. I was personally thrilled to get Marvel Ultimate Alliance with my X360 and Jet Set Radio with my original XBox.

I just can't understand why they don't offer a Wii bundle that also includes 3rd party games like Trauma Center or Rayman Raving Rabbids. Hell, even a Wii bundle that targeted more hardcore gamers by including Resident Evil 4 or Godfather:Blackhand would be cool. It's not like they can't afford to do something like that. Most importantly, doing bundles would send a clear signal to the 3rd parties that if they're willing to develop some decent game they can be rewarded for their efforts.

[Edit] As I said in another thread, Zak & Wiki is a bit of an acid test for 3rd party health and support on the Wii. Based upon the NPD numbers, it's clear that it sold less than 38K in it's 1st month on the market. Not good numbers at all for a game that's garnering AAA reviews and well targeted at the Wii demographic.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 06:12:19 PM by kronovan » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2007, 06:09:02 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 16, 2007, 06:05:22 PM

I just can't understand why they don't offer a Wii bundle that also includes 3rd party games like Trauma Center or Rayman Raving Rabbids. Hell, even a Wii bundle that targeted more hardcore gamers by including Resident Evil 4 or Godfather:Blackhand would be cool. It's not like they can't afford to do something like that. Most importantly, doing bundles would send a clear signal to the 3rd parties that if they're willing to develop some decent game they can be rewarded for their efforts.

It's a good idea but bundles are traditionally reserved for giving a console a boost once it's sales start to flag.  That just ain't the case with the Wii right now, never mind they have been bundlging a title with it since day one. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2007, 06:38:39 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 16, 2007, 06:09:02 PM

Quote from: kronovan on November 16, 2007, 06:05:22 PM

It's a good idea but bundles are traditionally reserved for giving a console a boost once it's sales start to flag.  That just ain't the case with the Wii right now, never mind they have been bundling a title with it since day one. 

Right, but I'm not talking about Big N doing this for traditional reasons. I'm talking about them thinking out of the box and doing it to remedy a big problem they have; very shoddy 3rd party support. They've got a golden opportunity to historically reverse the poor 3rd party support that's plagued them since the N64 days, but they're not going to do that if they don't change their corporate marketing mind set. I've personally worked for software companies that participated in bundling initiatives and I confidently can say you'd be surprised at how low a price the software is offered per copy. So it's not like doing such a program would cost Nintendo a ton of cash.

They could also use such a program to offer games that would appeal to gamers that don't typically buy their consoles. I.e. they get very few titles and poor development efforts for sports games, so bundle in Madden NFL to show 3rd parties that they're willing to take a risk to try and expand that market. If they want to guarantee their future health, they've got to take marketing risks as equal to the risks the took in the innovative design of the DS and Wii. They are after all up against 2 Goliath companies, why not be David and get in some decisive shots while you have the chance.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2007, 06:47:04 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 16, 2007, 06:38:39 PM

Right, but I'm not talking about Big N doing this for traditional reasons. I'm talking about them thinking out of the box and doing it to remedy a big problem they have; very shoddy 3rd party support. They've got a golden opportunity to historically reverse the poor 3rd party support that's plagued them since the N64 days, but they're not going to do that if they don't change their corporate marketing mind set. I've personally worked for software companies that participated in bundling initiatives and I confidently can say you'd be surprised at how low a price the software is offered per copy. So it's not like doing such a program would cost Nintendo a ton of cash.

Here's the thing- is third party support an issue because no one buys third party titles or because the games themselves are crap?  Look at your examples of quality third party games to bundle- Raving Rabbids, Trauma Center, and RE4 have all done very well already and sold well above expectations.  Godfather didn't but it was a late port of a title that hasn't done real well for EA anyway.  Generally, quality third party games *are* selling pretty well on the Wii but quality is the key word there.

Zak and Wiki is not an acid test at all IMO.  It was never going to do good.  It's just like Okami which failed on the most popular console with unprecedented third party support.  Capcom flat out sucks at marketing some titles and Zak and Wiki, just like Okami, happens to fall under that.  Could Nintendo have marketed it better?  Absolutely, but it's not Nintendo's job to carry that burden for Capcom.  Since Capcom did about zero for marketing Z&W it's hard for me to blame Nintendo for not bailing them out. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2007, 06:49:13 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on November 16, 2007, 05:26:03 PM

I think its just an example of even good releases not doing as well. Its been said before but there's not only allot of games being released as usual this fall but allot of AAA stuff. There's things that I haven't bought yet that I want to because I don't want to have my CC bill come next month and see gulp as I see the huge increase in my balance so I've held off.

My question would be as to whether the non-hardcore grandmoms and moms' purchasing power through the holidays outweighs our collective purchasing power as a regular base. So- do those who are on the prowl for gifts  snatch up more copies per title during the holidays than we would during the summer (when they may not). 

Does that make any sense?

Companies must release games at the holidays for a reason...the above is a theory.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2007, 06:50:55 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 16, 2007, 06:49:13 PM

Quote from: Jumangi on November 16, 2007, 05:26:03 PM

My question would be as to whether the non-hardcore grandmoms and moms' purchasing power through the holidays outweighs our collective purchasing power as a regular base. So- do those who are on the prowl for gifts  snatch up more copies per title during the holidays than we would during the summer (when they may not). 

Does that make any sense?

Companies must release games at the holidays for a reason...the above is a theory.

As I understand it, you're totally correct, at least as companies see it.  A crap selling title over the holidays will supposedly sell more units than if it had a "successful" launch in February. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2007, 06:51:09 PM »

Honestly why should Nintendo care that much about thrird parties anyway?  They are sellling Wii's hand over fist and people are still buying the 1st party games.  I'm sure they would like to see third parties succeed.  But not enough to spend money on it right now.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2007, 07:00:14 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 16, 2007, 06:51:09 PM

Honestly why should Nintendo care that much about thrird parties anyway?  They are sellling Wii's hand over fist and people are still buying the 1st party games.  I'm sure they would like to see third parties succeed.  But not enough to spend money on it right now.

They should definitely care.  Strong third party support coupled with their current hardware momentum would probably put them into PS2 levels of dominance for this generation.  And I do think Nintendo cares but I think it's a bit of a cultural shift for them after relying on first party stuff so much.  Also, it's up to the third parties to figure out what works and doesn't work.  They are finding that half-assed ports with tacked on motion controls just aren't going to be a lucrative entry into the platform. 

Honestly, some of it is just laziness from third parties.  When Nintendo does perfect stylus control on the DS for Phanton Hourglass or the visual splendor of Super Mario Galaxy on Wii, they aren't tapping into some portion of the hardware that third parties don't have access to.  There is no reason why it couldn't have been Ubisoft, Activision, or EA perfecting a FPS scheme on Wii instead of Retro. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2007, 07:16:24 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 16, 2007, 06:51:09 PM

To answer that question you don't need to look any futher than Sony. They had the #1 market seller last gen with the PS2, after 1 year the PS3 hasn't seen a single 3rd party exclusive title and more importantly not 1 3rd party JRPG released for it. Although it's true you can take the 3rd parties for granted when you've got the #1 selling console, that doesn't necessarily carry through to the next console gen.

The more limited processing and graphics capabilities of the Wii may also see cross platform titles dwindle for it a few years from now. With that in mind it's important that Big N encourage 3rd parties to make decent games for it that are tailored to their consoles strength.

Quite honestly when I bought my Wii on opening day I didn't expect to be playing many titles on it after 2009. With the current poor state of 3rd party support, that's looking more an more to be true.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 07:19:54 PM by kronovan » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2007, 07:31:24 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 16, 2007, 07:16:24 PM

The more limited processing and graphics capabilities of the Wii may also see cross platform titles dwindle for it a few years from now. With that in mind it's important that Big N encourage 3rd parties to make decent games for it that are tailored to their consoles strength.

Quite honestly when I bought my Wii on opening day I didn't expect to be playing many titles on it after 2009. With the current poor state of 3rd party support, that's looking more an more to be true.

Barring Sony crying "Do-over!", I fully expect Nintendo to be first on the scene with their follow up console.  I think in a couple of years they'll have a Wii 2 that isn't really much more, if at all, powerful than a 360 or PS3 but is obviously more than capable of HD output, at the same $250 price point they launched the Wii at. 

Heck (now I'm just talking out my ass) they could just do a sort of DS-Lite equivalent (Wii HD) and put out a slightly more powerful console that is really only designed to display high resolution natively (probably with FSAA added) while also including a scaler but is still fully functional with existing titles.  Basically, mandate that all future Wii games have multiple resolution outputs (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) while keeping the other aspects of the game the same.

For example, Wii Sports 2 has one SKU that works on Wii and Wii HD and if you are playing on the latter you can enable it to natively output 720p even if the polygon total, lighting, etc all remain the same.  No it's still not 360/PS3 level but games like Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, and SMG would still look a whole lot nicer on an HDTV if they were output at 720p w/ AA. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2007, 07:33:48 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 16, 2007, 07:31:24 PM

Heck (now I'm just talking out my ass) they could just do a sort of DS-Lite equivalent (Wii HD) and put out a slightly more powerful console that is really only designed to display high resolution natively (probably with FSAA added) while also including a scaler but is still fully functional with existing titles.  Basically, mandate that all future Wii games have multiple resolution outputs (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) while keeping the other aspects of the game the same.

I would strongly consider purchasing such a machine.

gellar
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2007, 07:49:38 PM »

I foresee the PS3 going like the Gamecube did, struggling, plodding along in relative obscurity, just laying groundwork for the next console.  But this generation is pretty much screwed at that pace.  They're being outsold by the PS2.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2007, 07:52:38 PM »

I am amazed that the Wii has sold 5 million units in the US (in 11 months!) and you STILL can't freaking find one! It seems logical to conclude the Wii will still be hard to find for the rest of the year. When does the insane demand end? 1Q 2008? 2Q2008?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: