http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 04:18:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: October Hardware Sales  (Read 1722 times)
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2006, 05:20:26 PM »

NPD figures were released yesterday. These are North American sales only. The DS just keeps on trucking.

DS 360k
PS2 235k
360 218k
GBA 169k
PSP 130k

Scarface: The World is Yours was the top selling game in October, with Splinter Cell Double Agent being the second.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 05:26:10 PM »

Awful month for everybody but Nintendo.  Even Splinter Cell didn't put up the kind of numbers expected for the series and for 360 titles in general.  And 360 continues it's trend of everybody buys what's hot the month it's out and immediately forgets about after that- Saints Row plummeted from 500k in sales in September to only 50k sales in October (Dead Rising saw a similar cliff-like drop from August to September despite Capcom heavily boosting advertising). 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 05:38:50 PM »

Blows my mind that there are still 235,000 people buying PS2's.  I'm sure the FFXII/Guitar Hero punch helped, but that's a lot of units for an old console.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 05:39:41 PM »

man, the PS2 keeps on selling even with the PS3 coming out.  Mine may be put out to pasture for awhile though-  it looks like crap on my 46" TV (yes, I'm a graphics whore so  finger) and I don't have room to setup my smaller TV anywhere to use it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 05:42:39 PM »

Games are cheap for the PS2, hence the great sales. Also, alot of the sales are people replacing their now broken units.. they have a library of games they still need a unit.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 05:55:38 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 10, 2006, 05:26:10 PM

Awful month for everybody but Nintendo.  Even Splinter Cell didn't put up the kind of numbers expected for the series and for 360 titles in general.  And 360 continues it's trend of everybody buys what's hot the month it's out and immediately forgets about after that- Saints Row plummeted from 500k in sales in September to only 50k sales in October (Dead Rising saw a similar cliff-like drop from August to September despite Capcom heavily boosting advertising). 

The other thing notable about the month was the poor PSP software sales. Only 2 titles sold more than 25,000 units (Madden and Scarface). It'll be interesting to see how well Vice City Stories sells compared to Liberty City Stories.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 06:04:03 PM »

Could one of you please post some of these other NPD numbers you are discussing or provide a link to them?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 07:22:45 PM »

I think it also goes to show that the larger the installed user base frequently translates into larger ongoing sales-I guess because there are more games, more brand recognition, etc.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 07:24:38 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 10, 2006, 06:04:03 PM

Could one of you please post some of these other NPD numbers you are discussing or provide a link to them?

Don't really have a handy link or summary- this stuff is posted to a huge mega thread over on GAF and it comes in bits and pieces. 
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 08:51:09 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on November 10, 2006, 05:20:26 PM

NPD figures were released yesterday. These are North American sales only. The DS just keeps on trucking.

DS 360k
PS2 235k
360 218k
GBA 169k
PSP 130k

Scarface: The World is Yours was the top selling game in October, with Splinter Cell Double Agent being the second.

Hell, even I bought a DS.  Crazy...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 09:30:49 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 10, 2006, 05:38:50 PM

Blows my mind that there are still 235,000 people buying PS2's.  I'm sure the FFXII/Guitar Hero punch helped, but that's a lot of units for an old console.

Crazy how the PS2 consistantly kicks ass on sales, but not hard to believe.

I purchased a PS2 this year for the kids Xmas.. I know at least 4-5 of their friends or friends of our family getting them this Xmas.  Lets face it, the PS2 has an unbelievable lineup of CHEAP or USED games for it, and you can pretty much buy gaming bliss for pennies on the dollar.  Not to mention shit that keeps coming out that kicks huge ass like GH2 + FF..

PS2 is going to be huge this Xmas.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 11:01:03 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 10, 2006, 09:30:49 PM

Quote from: Gratch on November 10, 2006, 05:38:50 PM

Crazy how the PS2 consistantly kicks ass on sales, but not hard to believe.

I purchased a PS2 this year for the kids Xmas.. I know at least 4-5 of their friends or friends of our family getting them this Xmas.  Lets face it, the PS2 has an unbelievable lineup of CHEAP or USED games for it, and you can pretty much buy gaming bliss for pennies on the dollar.  Not to mention shit that keeps coming out that kicks huge ass like GH2 + FF..

PS2 is going to be huge this Xmas.

I doubt many of the PS2 sales are new customers, it is all the existing customer base replacing thier PS2s.  As many problems as I have had with my 360, I had a worse time with my launch PS2.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 11:55:41 PM »

Well if people are just replacing their launch PS2s now then good on Sony!  I seriously doubt that there's 250k people replacing their PS2's Roll Eyes  IF that were true, Sony would have a recall on bigger than their battery fiasco.  Believe it or not their are probably many familiies that just can't afford to buy a console (I'm talking at last generation prices not this generation) and they have to wait until the console is on it's last legs before picking one up.  I'm not poor but when I was younger I waited on average of 2.5-3 years before picking up my PS and PS2.  With all the great games still coming out for the PS2 I'll probably pick up one of those cool 'slim' PS2's before I get a PS3.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 12:26:11 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 10, 2006, 11:01:03 PM

I doubt many of the PS2 sales are new customers, it is all the existing customer base replacing thier PS2s.  As many problems as I have had with my 360, I had a worse time with my launch PS2.

I agree that many of them are probably not first time PS2 owners.  However, I wouldn't agree that the bulk of sales are people replacing defective units.  I've heard a ton of people who previously sold/traded their PS2 say they are now rebuying the system because of all the great "last gasp" games.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, as I have a launch PS2 that still works great.  Of course now that I say that, it will probably explode and burn down my house. icon_wink

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 12:43:22 AM »

And 360 continues it's trend of everybody buys what's hot the month it's out and immediately forgets about after that- Saints Row plummeted from 500k in sales in September to only 50k sales in October (Dead Rising saw a similar cliff-like drop from August to September despite Capcom heavily boosting advertising).

This isn't very surprising to me. The 360 user base is still relatively small, so selling 500,000+ units in one month probably saturates much of the market looking for many of these titles.

One slightly positive note for the 360 in Japan is that its sales are up almost 100% in the last 45 days. It is still a very small number, but at least they are headed in the right direction. The upcoming release of the Blue Dragon bundle for less than $250 should move some units. Also, worldwide sales should hit between 8-9 million by January 1st. That gives the 360 a healthy lead over the PS3, especially considering Sony's manufacturing slips. (current install base is estimated at 6.75 million units worldwide)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 12:50:35 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2006, 02:29:29 AM »

I'm surprised so many people are still buying GBAs.  I know the DS is $50 more, but I would assume most people who are buying the GBA will eventually buy the DS, so why not just get the DS now? 

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 02:49:53 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 11, 2006, 12:43:22 AM

This isn't very surprising to me. The 360 user base is still relatively small, so selling 500,000+ units in one month probably saturates much of the market looking for many of these titles.

It's not surprising to me either but I do think it's indicative that the 360 has yet to make any inroads into the casual audience.  It seems like every month some new hot game comes out (GRAW, Dead Rising, Saint's Row, Madden, Splinter Cell, etc) that is heralded as the killer app/system seller, everyone expects 360 sales to jump up for the month and yet despite the games selling really well, 360 sales stay remarkably consistent from month to month with nary an uptick.  The games sell awesome that first month, publishers are crowing about their success, and then sales go in the toilet the folllowing month.  All of which is pretty characteristic of a rabid, relatively static group of gamers that buys the new hot title for the month en masse, plays the hell out of it, and drops it like a hot potato a few weeks later for the latest greatest thing. 
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 04:33:29 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 10, 2006, 11:55:41 PM

Believe it or not their are probably many familiies that just can't afford to buy a console (I'm talking at last generation prices not this generation) and they have to wait until the console is on it's last legs before picking one up. 

Or people like me and my family.. We have the money for new consoles, but we demand strong, fleshed out libraries for our consoles as we are primarily PC gamers.  Most importantly, we're all penny pinchers here and we like to stretch our dollar, that means older systems with a lot of used low cost titles on the shelf are the order of the day.

Hence, last Xmas they got a GameCube, and love it, and have over 50 games for it that mostly cost $5 each.  This Xmas they'll be getting a PS2 and about 25 games, and it was around $300 for the whole lot.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 08:13:40 AM »

It seems like every month some new hot game comes out (GRAW, Dead Rising, Saint's Row, Madden, Splinter Cell, etc) that is heralded as the killer app/system seller, everyone expects 360 sales to jump up for the month and yet despite the games selling really well, 360 sales stay remarkably consistent from month to month with nary an uptick.

I see your point. It will be interesting to see if Gears of War has any durability, especially since this is the first game that is supposed to be a true Killer App in the 360 stable. I still see it following the same trend you outlined, although with Christmas around the corner it will probably get a two month bump.

I personally find GoW to be a better game than Halo or Halo 2, but I don't think it will have even half the endurance of those two titles.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2006, 03:44:25 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 11, 2006, 08:13:40 AM

It seems like every month some new hot game comes out (GRAW, Dead Rising, Saint's Row, Madden, Splinter Cell, etc) that is heralded as the killer app/system seller, everyone expects 360 sales to jump up for the month and yet despite the games selling really well, 360 sales stay remarkably consistent from month to month with nary an uptick.

I see your point. It will be interesting to see if Gears of War has any durability, especially since this is the first game that is supposed to be a true Killer App in the 360 stable. I still see it following the same trend you outlined, although with Christmas around the corner it will probably get a two month bump.

I personally find GoW to be a better game than Halo or Halo 2, but I don't think it will have even half the endurance of those two titles.

I'm not sure about Halo type legs, but I do think Gears will have durability far beyond what we've seen from 360 titles so far.  I think that, for maybe as long as the next year, Gears will be THE game that new 360 buyers get.  I don't know what effect it will have on spurring 360 sales higher, but I think that the attach ratio for Gears will be insane. 
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 01:50:45 AM »

Quote from: HankRaptor on November 10, 2006, 05:42:39 PM

Games are cheap for the PS2, hence the great sales. Also, alot of the sales are people replacing their now broken units.. they have a library of games they still need a unit.

I am actually planning to buy another PS2 and put it in my bedroom.  My original one works fine, but I'd like one of the new smaller ones.  I find I do more gaming in my room anyway.

Plus I have an embarassing number of games for it.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006, 06:09:08 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 11, 2006, 04:33:29 AM

Hence, last Xmas they got a GameCube, and love it, and have over 50 games for it that mostly cost $5 each.

The Gamecube has 50 games?  ZING!

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2006, 06:22:36 AM »

Quote from: Graham on November 12, 2006, 06:09:08 AM

Quote from: Kobra on November 11, 2006, 04:33:29 AM

Hence, last Xmas they got a GameCube, and love it, and have over 50 games for it that mostly cost $5 each.

The Gamecube has 50 games?  ZING!
SNAP!
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2006, 04:01:02 PM »

Quote from: stiffler on November 12, 2006, 01:50:45 AM

My original one works fine, but I'd like one of the new smaller ones. 

Since I got my 360 I hardly touch my PS2.  I got the urge to spend some birthday money on Guitar Hero 2 (I never played the first 1).  When I was at the store playing the demo and I looked down at the small PS2.  I was amazed.  I never imagined it would be that small.  I almost bought one just because of the space I could save.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2006, 04:16:21 PM »

wow,GBA outsold the PSP....those GBA people shoulda just got a ds,as te DS plays DS and GBA games......but they knew that..didnt they?

it will be interesting to find out where ps3 will come ...obviously if only ..what was it?,...400,000?  are allocated,it may get top spot on the first month...but second month will proberbly get bottom...no,honestly!!

it was a good month for ps2 games though with bully and ff12

but the 360 has had some great games recently,so i am suprised that that is still as low as it is...maybe with COD3 and GOW it can get a higher place next month(for this month)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2006, 04:31:40 PM »

Yeah, I think between the second wave of bigger 360 games hitting and the holidays coming up their sales should improve quite a bit for a couple months at least.  It will be interesting to see if they can catch a broader audience this season.

I have no doubt that Sony will be able to sell every one of the consoles that they ship.  I just really hope they don't have serious first-run problems like the PS2, XBox and 360 have had.  For some reason I have a sense of impending doom (or maybe this is Operation Impending Doom II icon_wink) that we will be seeing large quantities of failing hardware in six or eight months.  Those sorts of problems are not good for consumers or the gaming industry as a whole. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: