http://gamingtrend.com
May 02, 2016, 11:11:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Nintendo NX Console - aka Super Nintendo 2  (Read 1614 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
YellowKing
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3502



View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2016, 01:26:26 PM »

Even the Gamecube, though, used those little mini-discs instead of the standard DVDs that other consoles were using. I know that in reality that didn't make much difference, but there is a perception problem there. Why should I buy this kid system that uses little "baby" discs when I can buy a PS2 or an Xbox that uses full-sized standard DVDs that I'm used to?

People thought it was a toy because it looked like a toy in comparison to the big black sleek consoles MS and Sony were making. It was a little purple tissue box that used toy discs. Isn't that cute?

It may be a cultural gap, but in America bigger is perceived to be better. So making tiny little consoles automatically creates the perception your shit is weak.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:28:04 PM by YellowKing » Logged
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3483


Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me


View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2016, 01:42:47 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on March 30, 2016, 01:26:26 PM

Even the Gamecube, though, used those little mini-discs instead of the standard DVDs that other consoles were using. I know that in reality that didn't make much difference, but there is a perception problem there. Why should I buy this kid system that uses little "baby" discs when I can buy a PS2 or an Xbox that uses full-sized standard DVDs that I'm used to?

People thought it was a toy because it looked like a toy in comparison to the big black sleek consoles MS and Sony were making. It was a little purple tissue box that used toy discs. Isn't that cute?

It may be a cultural gap, but in America bigger is perceived to be better. So making tiny little consoles automatically creates the perception your shit is weak.

I agree with all of this. It was a silly argument then but people clung to it.

Now a days though? Just go and try to buy some of the better Gamecube titles. People have come around to realize how badass the games and system were, only 15 years too late for Nintendo. The Fire Emblem game has peaked at near $300 for sealed copies. Super Mario Sunshine can go for upper 70s depending on condition and same can be said for almost all of the Nintendo titles.

Not to mention games like Gotcha Force or Cubivore. Granted some of that is driven by rarity.

So hopefully Nintendo is going to capture some of that magic again but actually do a good job of showing folks what they actually have to offer, because honestly, their marketing hasn't been too great since pre-gamecube days.

Me personally, i have no stake. I have too mich gaming crap anyways. I won't buy an NX for at least a year with how poorly I feel Nintendo has been since about 2010. Maybe they will change maybe not. I just would hate to have gaming lose another hardware manufacturer and one of the best at that.
Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Lordnine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1785


Lord of the Rutabagas


View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2016, 04:31:15 PM »

Comments in this thread make me realize that the WiiU just had a perception/marketing problem.  Most of the things everyone is asking for is what the WiiU delivered.

Controller is weird.
Most people who actually used the controller found it very comfortable and even if you didnít, did you know that you could play 90% of the games with one of these?


But why have THAT controller if I can just use a modified looking 360 Controller?
Did you know you can use that funky controller to stream and play your game from the console to any room in your house?  No TV required!  You can do the same with Netflix or YouTube.

Touch controls are weird and no one uses them.
Did you know the PS4 controller has built in touch controls that no one uses?

The hardware is underpowered.
Well I suppose, but every first party Nintendo game has looked gorgeous and most hold a solid 60 FPS despite the hardware limitations.  This is something neither the PS4 or XBone can come close to claim.

There are no games on the system.
Compare the number of exclusives on the WiiU to the other consoles and marvel at the bounty.  Heck, Iíll let you add the other systems exclusives together and then compare.  Now I suppose if you donít also have a gaming PC you might also care about multiplats, but if you do have a PC I canít imagine playing a multi-platform release on a console.

Nintendo only makes games for Kids.
Well, I guess you got me there.  Doesnít make them any less fun though.  icon_biggrin  Oh, and Bayonetta.
Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16428


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2016, 06:19:08 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on March 30, 2016, 04:31:15 PM

Comments in this thread make me realize that the WiiU just had a perception/marketing problem.  Most of the things everyone is asking for is what the WiiU delivered.

Controller is weird.
Most people who actually used the controller found it very comfortable and even if you didnít, did you know that you could play 90% of the games with one of these?


But why have THAT controller if I can just use a modified looking 360 Controller?
Did you know you can use that funky controller to stream and play your game from the console to any room in your house?  No TV required!  You can do the same with Netflix or YouTube.

Touch controls are weird and no one uses them.
Did you know the PS4 controller has built in touch controls that no one uses?

The hardware is underpowered.
Well I suppose, but every first party Nintendo game has looked gorgeous and most hold a solid 60 FPS despite the hardware limitations.  This is something neither the PS4 or XBone can come close to claim.

There are no games on the system.
Compare the number of exclusives on the WiiU to the other consoles and marvel at the bounty.  Heck, Iíll let you add the other systems exclusives together and then compare.  Now I suppose if you donít also have a gaming PC you might also care about multiplats, but if you do have a PC I canít imagine playing a multi-platform release on a console.

Nintendo only makes games for Kids.
Well, I guess you got me there.  Doesnít make them any less fun though.  icon_biggrin  Oh, and Bayonetta.

While I agree that the controller is great to hold and play with, I would not say that I can come close to streaming a game to any room in my house.  Nor would I want to, since the screen's resolution is kinda crappy.

As a side note, the screen is also a personal problem, since I only wear reading glasses, and I have to keep putting them on every time I need to look down at the screen.  That's probably just me, though.
Logged

"The cause of death was asphyxiation, or smothering, in layman's terms."

"What does 'layman's terms' mean?"
Lordnine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1785


Lord of the Rutabagas


View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2016, 06:37:28 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 30, 2016, 06:19:08 PM

While I agree that the controller is great to hold and play with, I would not say that I can come close to streaming a game to any room in my house.  Nor would I want to, since the screen's resolution is kinda crappy.

As a side note, the screen is also a personal problem, since I only wear reading glasses, and I have to keep putting them on every time I need to look down at the screen.  That's probably just me, though.
Really? The gamepad is 480p, itís no Ipad Air but I find that perfectly acceptable for a 6inch display.
Logged
Jumangi
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1827



View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2016, 10:36:53 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on March 30, 2016, 04:31:15 PM


The hardware is underpowered.
Well I suppose, but every first party Nintendo game has looked gorgeous and most hold a solid 60 FPS despite the hardware limitations.  This is something neither the PS4 or XBone can come close to claim.



Apples and Oranges man. There are games on the PS4/Xbox that run fine. Also its ridiculous to compare Mario Kart or Smash Brothers to something like The Witcher 3. The games that run poorly on those systems is developers that push them too far and don't prioritize consistant performance enough.

In the end the WiiU frankly deserved its fate. Nintendo thought they had done something revolutionary with the Wii. They tried another gimmick with the pseudo tablet controller of the WiiU and it bombed.
Logged
Lordnine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1785


Lord of the Rutabagas


View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2016, 04:54:31 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on March 31, 2016, 10:36:53 AM

Apples and Oranges man. There are games on the PS4/Xbox that run fine. Also its ridiculous to compare Mario Kart or Smash Brothers to something like The Witcher 3. The games that run poorly on those systems is developers that push them too far and don't prioritize consistant performance enough.

In the end the WiiU frankly deserved its fate. Nintendo thought they had done something revolutionary with the Wii. They tried another gimmick with the pseudo tablet controller of the WiiU and it bombed.
But why did it bomb? I would say it’s because people thought that that the controller was all the system had to offer. Heck, a lot of people STILL think the WiiU is just a really expensive attachment being sold for the normal Wii.  That’s a perception problem, not a system problem.  The tablet was a cool feature for the games that utilized it but it was ultimately a tool that was optional, unlike the Wii Motes, there was nothing stopping developers from developing completely normal games.  People just got it in their heads that the system was a failure, so it was a failure.

Also, I looked up the games that do run at 60, it’s mostly a lot of sports games and re-releases from the PS3 era.  Not exactly impressive.  My point being that new games on the WiiU run better than *most* new games on the other consoles and still manage to look great. Art direction trumps pure polygons.  As someone who can’t really play games at 30FPS, that is very important for me.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 04:56:08 PM by Lordnine » Logged
Jumangi
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1827



View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2016, 01:01:54 AM »

You just don't understand what I mean by comparing WiiU games to ones on the others. I just don't know how to expain it. It's not a valid comparison. Not gonna go around and round on this anymore.
Logged
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7191


View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2016, 12:18:48 PM »

Nintendo has announced when the NX will release  - March 2017.  It won't be at E3, but will be revealed by the end of the year.  Also (surprise, surprise) the Zelda game for WiiU has been delayed to 2017 to launch on both platforms.
Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
farley2k
Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4382



View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2016, 01:18:57 PM »

That really kind of annoys me.  I know it shouldn't and it is silly to be annoyed but I was looking forward to Zelda sometime this fall and now I have to wait a year.

Logged

EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12369


I said good day, sir!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2016, 03:00:10 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on April 27, 2016, 01:18:57 PM

That really kind of annoys me.  I know it shouldn't and it is silly to be annoyed but I was looking forward to Zelda sometime this fall and now I have to wait a year.

Yeah, I have to agree.  I knew to expect it but it still annoys me and devalues the Wii U I've been trying to support.
Logged

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Lordnine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1785


Lord of the Rutabagas


View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2016, 03:41:12 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 27, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

Quote from: farley2k on April 27, 2016, 01:18:57 PM

That really kind of annoys me.  I know it shouldn't and it is silly to be annoyed but I was looking forward to Zelda sometime this fall and now I have to wait a year.

Yeah, I have to agree.  I knew to expect it but it still annoys me and devalues the Wii U I've been trying to support.
Yep, I feel this pretty much just killed the WiiU completely.  I really hope that the NX has backwards compatibility so that people who skip it donít miss out on the really great games on the system.
Logged
Scraper
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4153



View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2016, 03:51:36 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on April 27, 2016, 03:41:12 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 27, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

Quote from: farley2k on April 27, 2016, 01:18:57 PM

That really kind of annoys me.  I know it shouldn't and it is silly to be annoyed but I was looking forward to Zelda sometime this fall and now I have to wait a year.

Yeah, I have to agree.  I knew to expect it but it still annoys me and devalues the Wii U I've been trying to support.
Yep, I feel this pretty much just killed the WiiU completely.  I really hope that the NX has backwards compatibility so that people who skip it donít miss out on the really great games on the system.

The WiiU is the only Nintendo system I have not owned and now I have zero reason to get one. No new Zelda or Metroid for the system makes it a total waste of a generation for Nintendo. They basically hung their hat on Mario this generation and that's no enough for me.
Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
YellowKing
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3502



View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2016, 04:56:51 PM »

This is the reason I was a little hesitant to buy the Wii U this past Christmas, but the kids have enjoyed it enough that I feel we got our money's worth. So much so that I'll probably have no qualms about buying the NX on release.
Logged
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 2393


View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2016, 11:29:22 PM »

I'm also in the camp that hopes the NX is backwards compatible. The only thing I really want the Wii U for is the HD Zelda remakes. I really wish they would give the Metroid Prime trilogy an HD rerelease.
Logged

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16428


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2016, 11:45:51 PM »

Quote from: JCC on April 27, 2016, 11:29:22 PM

I'm also in the camp that hopes the NX is backwards compatible. The only thing I really want the Wii U for is the HD Zelda remakes. I really wish they would give the Metroid Prime trilogy an HD rerelease.

Metroid Prime Trilogy $19.99 Wii U

Quote
...bundles all three landmark Metroid Prime games onto one disc and revamps the first two installments with intuitive Wii Remote controls, wide-screen presentation and other enhancements.

Granted, the trilogy could look even better, but the first two games are greatly improved, IMO.
Logged

"The cause of death was asphyxiation, or smothering, in layman's terms."

"What does 'layman's terms' mean?"
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 2393


View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2016, 12:13:57 AM »

Yes I own that. But an HD remake would be even better. Better enough for me to triple dip on the trilogy!
Logged

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
farley2k
Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4382



View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2016, 03:12:45 PM »

Maybe I have my hopes set too high but I would like a new Metroid game in HD.
Logged

Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16072


▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start


View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2016, 01:13:03 AM »

Quote from: farley2k on April 28, 2016, 03:12:45 PM

Maybe I have my hopes set too high but I would like a new Metroid game in HD.

But you have a brand new Metroid game! You have that whatever the hell that 3DS game is that nobody wanted!
Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.328 seconds with 62 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.214s, 2q)