http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:17:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Project Eternity [Obsidian Countdown]  (Read 3341 times)
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2012, 02:55:59 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on September 17, 2012, 03:10:06 AM

I'd also note this is a less ambitious type of project... it's another game in the vein they made like 5 of already... so a lower risk factor.

I agree and I think you and TiLT make good points.  The support from gamers thus far is really astounding.  Hopefully publishers will see that they don't always know best and this and other fan funded projects can bring about a gaming renaissance.

$1,455,482 with 29 days to go.  Wow.

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2012, 01:38:57 AM »

Project Update #3: Game Basics - Your Party, Your Characters, and Races, Update #3
Posted by Obsidian Entertainment Like

We've hit our first stretch goal and surpassed $1.5 million! Thank you to everyone who has made this all possible. And now, some info...

Project Eternity is still early in development and we are still working on many of the cultures, factions, and ethnic groups of the world and debating many of the system concepts. However, there are certain fundamental things we want to let you know about the game and the setting for Project Eternity.

Your Party
The maximum party size is the player's main character (PC) and up to five companions for a total of six characters. This does not preclude the addition of temporary characters in special circumstances. Companions are never forced on the player. Players can explore the entire world and its story on their own if they so choose. We feel companions are excellent sounding boards for the player's (and other companions') actions, but the story is ultimately about the player's personal conflict among the larger social and political complexities of the world.

Formations
A key element of the classic party-based tactical combat that we are developing is the use of party formations. As in the good ol' games, you can arrange your party in a large number of set formations. You can also construct your own formations if you want to get fancy. When moving companions, you have the ability to rotate formations for more precise positioning.

Character Creation
At a minimum, players will be able to specify their main character's name, sex, class, race (including subrace), culture, traits, ability scores, portrait, and the fundamental starting options of his or her class (gear, skills, and talents). We have not worked out customization details of character avatars, but we believe those are important and will be updating on these specifics in the future.

For the full run-down, please see the rest of the text on the Obsidian forums here:
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60221-update-3-game-basics-your-party-your-characters-and-races/

That's all for today's update. We'll have more information on the world and systems in the near future. Please give us your feedback and thank you for all of the ideas and support you've given so far!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2012, 04:10:11 PM »

Buddy in my tabletop gaming group opted for the $140 with the box copy and fabric map. I'll be getting the boxed version, the map and assorted setting parephenalia. Its repayment for some of the $ and effort I've put in GM'ing our RPGs. slywink

I'll chime in and say I think 1 of the reasons for Obsidian opting for a kickstarter for their own IP is likely due to them having had bad experiences in the past with publishers/funders pushing them to get unfinished products to market. This is their way of taking full control of the release and development schedule. Of course if they release an unready product this time, they have nothing but themselves to blame. For the little it costs to opt in on the kickstarter, I think its worth giving them the benefit of the doubt.  
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 04:12:35 PM by kronovan » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2012, 12:56:58 AM »

$1.8 million goal hit, which means 2 more playable character races/companions/classes plus Mac and Linux versions.  the $2.2 million goal is getting a new addition on Monday since Linux got bumped down to a lesser goal, and with 24 days to go I'm hoping they hit that one.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2012, 10:08:57 PM »

$2 million goal hit! Player houses!  they now have a $2.3 million goal:

Expert Mode will disable all of the common ease-of-use / in-case-you-missed it gameplay elements like the display of skill thresholds, influence/reputation modifiers, and similar "helper" information. In a fashion similar to Fallout: New Vegas' Hardcore Mode, Expert Mode will also enable more punitive and demanding gameplay elements, in and out of combat. We're not saying we're going to have weighty gold (for real, we're not saying that), but if we did, you can bet that would be automatically turned on by Expert Mode.

If you guessed that Trial of Iron is like Temple of Elemental Evil's Ironman Mode, you guessed right. When you start a Trial of Iron game, you have one save game that persists for the entire campaign... or until you die. And if you die, your save game is deleted. Enjoy!

Path of the Damned is a spiritual successor to Icewind Dale's Heart of Fury mode. In our encounters, we like to turn individual combatants on and off based on the level of difficulty. If you come into an area on Easy, maybe casters are replaced with weak melee enemies. If you come in on Hard, maybe the casters are augmented by a tough melee enemy or two. With Path of the Damned, that goes out the window. All enemies from all levels of difficulty are enabled and the combat mechanics are amplified to make battles much more brutal for everyone involved.

The first question you may have is, "Can I enable multiple challenge modes at once?" Yep, you sure can. They have to be selected at the beginning of the game, but if you want to play with two or all three at the same time, you can certainly can do so. If you're not quite sure you want all of the elements that come along with a given mode, this funding level will also cover implementing the ability to enable and disable the individual sub-features.

Along with these modes, we also want to introduce the Godlike races. These folks have been described previously as being similar to the humanoid "planetouched" in D&D: aasimar, tieflings, and genasi. That is a good high-level description of them, but they are viewed differently by various factions, faiths, and cultures in the world of Project Eternity. Godlike were "blessed" before birth by one or more of the meddling deities of this world. Though their appearances vary, they are unmistakeably otherworldly when anyone gets a clear look at them. Sometimes, the reaction they get is overwhelmingly positive. Many times, the reaction is overwhelmingly not. For better or worse, the physical "gifts" that mark them as Godlike always come with supernatural blessings (and curses) of their own.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2012, 05:03:05 AM »

$2.3 million hit!

Crafting and enchanting in Project Eternity will allow players to use objects and materials they find during exploration to both create consumable items like potions and scrolls as well as give their gear custom upgrades that can't be accomplished by other means.  This system is intended to be easy to use and very flexible, allowing players to customize many aspects of what they can create or alter.  Whether it's brewing basic potions from herbs and minerals commonly found throughout the world or upgrading a humble broadsword into a custom-named, magically-imbued weapon of distinctive and legendary power, we want to give players the ability to make it.  On the development side of things, we also want to make the system as data-driven as possible, allowing us to easily extend our list of recipes in the future.

Barbarians come from many of the more remote cultures found across the world. In the Dyrwood, they are commonly found among Glanfathan elf communities. They are distinguished from fighters by their recklessness, ferocity, and their predilection to substitute raw aggression for discipline. Barbarians are a challenge to deal with on a battlefield, though they are vulnerable to exhaustion if they don't pace themselves.

Ciphers are uncommon and often misunderstood individuals with extraordinary mental abilities. Like wizards and priests, they have many talents that draw directly from their souls, but ciphers have the unique ability to peer through the spiritual energy of the world to manipulate other souls. While wizards use complex formulae in large tomes and priests tap into the passion of their faith, ciphers are able to operate directly through the power of their minds... and yours.

At $2.6M, we will add an Adventurer's Hall to the world. In the Free Palatinate of Dyrwood, adventurers and mercenaries from across the world are often employed as personal bodyguards, elite security, or salvage (plunder) teams that venture into the forgotten corners of Eír Glanfath. A lot of the folks who hang out as such places are robbers and miscreants, but reliable agents can be found and employed with a bit of patience.

What does this mean for you? It means that if you don't like a companion, or if you don't like any of our companions, you won't be cut off from having characters of their classes. Over time, you can build your own custom parties to play through the game. If you want a party of monks or all casters, this gives you the ability to do it within the game while still maintaining the pacing of the standard PC + companions play style.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »

an $2.6 million is passed!  sweet, looking forward to the Cipher class.

Paladins are extremely devoted, often fanatical, soldiers who have pledged themselves to a chosen cause, combining the zeal of a priest with the ascetic discipline of a monk. They have founded many elite fighting forces, from the original Darcozzi Paladini, a two thousand year-old order of palace guards, to the fledgling Fellows of St. Waidwen Martyr, zealous defenders of the Godhammer pilgrim trail. Often found at the vanguard of many conflicts, paladins are natural leaders and have the ability to quickly assist their allies with targeted commands. A paladin's commands can stave off impending death, overcome fatigue, or hasten the charge to close breached defenses. And though they are not always pledged to the service of a god or gods, paladins are so singularly focused on their chosen cause that their souls are continually creating a wellspring of spiritual energy from which they can blast groups of foes in their immediate vicinity. Despite their often stoic presence and explosive combat style, paladins work best alongside allies. When isolated, they can be vulnerable, especially against singular powerful foes.

Chanters can be found in almost any culture, but are most often seen in communities with a strong oral tradition. They are repositories of folk knowledge and common wisdom, tellers of tall tales and hallowed legends. Though chanters have a bit of minor talent in traditional arts of combat and soul-based magic, their true power lies in their chants. Chanters construct chants from individual iconic phrases and rhyming couplets they have memorized from hundreds of stories and poems, creating a chain of magical effects that plays out over time. While chanters do use the power of their souls to work their magic, chants are exhortations to the unconscious memory of wayward souls and the diffused spiritual energy of the world. That is, ambient spirits respond to the evocation of ancient, common story elements and play their part in reconstructing the chanter's tales. While a chanter's magic may seem modest compared to that of a wizard or a priest, chanters are able to recite their chants while occupied with other activities, making them extremely versatile.

It’s our pleasure to introduce our next stretch goal of George Ziets at $2.8m – with your help, we’ll be able to enlist the skills of George Ziets in shaping Project Eternity. For those not familiar with George’s work, he was the creative lead and core writer behind the acclaimed Mask of the Betrayer - the first expansion pack for Neverwinter Nights 2. George leant his talents to many of Obsidian’s other games including Fallout: New Vegas.

George is gifted in designing lore, levels, and companions for role-playing games, and Baldur’s Gate 2 is one of his favorite titles. His impact can be felt in Mask of the Betrayer, and the character concepts, story, and his narrative decisions to take a disused section of the Forgotten Realms and use it as a backdrop to weave a fascinating story is testament to his design skills. We’ve given him the rundown of Project Eternity, and he’s eager to help shape the lore, design areas, and bring the characters in the world to life.

Dear George:  no Spirit Meters please biggrin

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2012, 11:08:26 PM »

first screenshot:

plus 2 new stretch goals:

At $2.0 Million, your support funded a player house. Inspired by features like The Sink found in Fallout: New Vegas Old World Blues, the house is a convenient place to store gear, interact with companions, craft items (thanks to the $2.4 Million stretch goal), rest, and buy and sell from special merchants. Some of you wanted something that went beyond the standard player house, allowing you to take control of a full stronghold and its surrounding lands. Well-done strongholds provide players with the ability to make large scale changes, undertake special quests, customize the contents of the stronghold and the surrounding environment, and engage in light strategic gameplay between adventures. If we hit $3.0 Million, we will build a stronghold worthy of the title!

Baldur's Gate and Athkatla are big cities. Spanning multiple large maps with a ton of interiors, characters and quests, big cities are a lot of fun. Like strongholds, they also take a lot of work to do well. We're going to have one big city in Project Eternity. Would you like two? If you take us on an exciting adventure to $3.5 Million, we will take you on an exciting adventure to another big city.

5 days left, looks like $2.7 million should be hit at least.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2012, 01:03:04 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 11, 2012, 11:08:26 PM

first screenshot:

eek, following immediately by drool

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2012, 08:02:21 PM »

Ah the hell with it. *throws wallet at the screen*

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2012, 11:26:16 PM »

$3,305,444! not far to go for 3.5 million! 25 hours left!

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2012, 11:48:32 PM »

Chipped in my $35 this morning.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2012, 01:07:38 AM »

I caved and put up my $35 this evening...too much love for the work these guys have done in the past to skip supporting them now icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2012, 11:23:46 AM »

With less than a day to go, the final stretch goal ($3.5 million) has been reached, so there will be two major cities in the game smile  Now the waiting begins...

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2012, 11:43:51 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on October 16, 2012, 11:23:46 AM

With less than a day to go, the final stretch goal ($3.5 million) has been reached, so there will be two major cities in the game smile  Now the waiting begins...

Pfft, there's going to be another stretch goal today at 3.75 million or more. Just you wait and see. smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2012, 09:31:35 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 16, 2012, 11:43:51 AM

Quote from: EddieA on October 16, 2012, 11:23:46 AM

With less than a day to go, the final stretch goal ($3.5 million) has been reached, so there will be two major cities in the game smile  Now the waiting begins...

Pfft, there's going to be another stretch goal today at 3.75 million or more. Just you wait and see. smile

OK! After much team deliberation we have one final ultimate stretch goal. At $4.0m we will be enhancing the whole game. We will use live instrumentation for the soundtrack, add developer in-game commentary, and use every dollar between $3.5m and $4m to enhance the game. Also at $4.0m Chris Avellone will be forced to play Arcanum.

$3,762,779.  3 hours to go.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2012, 11:02:56 PM »

According to the stream, once they factor in their Paypal amounts, they're nearly there for 4 million.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2012, 11:50:46 PM »

They're over $4 million now with two hours to go.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2013, 06:50:30 AM »

Here's the first video of the game in motion.  There's no actual gameplay, but you get to see the characters move around an animated version of the first screenshot they released.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2013, 11:32:03 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on April 10, 2013, 06:50:30 AM

Here's the first video of the game in motion.  There's no actual gameplay, but you get to see the characters move around an animated version of the first screenshot they released.

Watched the video this morning, but I was disappointed that the PC runs around holding the weapon.  Was hoping for sheathing and unsheathing

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2013, 11:55:06 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on April 10, 2013, 11:32:03 AM

Watched the video this morning, but I was disappointed that the PC runs around holding the weapon.  Was hoping for sheathing and unsheathing

This video was all about the environments...I wouldn't worry too much at this stage about that as their focus was the backdrops.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2013, 12:12:44 PM »

Was hoping for sheathing and unsheathing

Get a room!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2013, 03:09:51 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 10, 2013, 11:55:06 AM

This video was all about the environments...I wouldn't worry too much at this stage about that as their focus was the backdrops.

+1.  it's at least a year away from release so I wouldn't be too worried about the character models or their animations yet.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2013, 12:08:29 AM »

gameplay teaser plus the official name of the game.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2013, 05:32:20 AM »

tried logging into their website, bu it kept saying my email wasn't in the system when I tried to recover my password, but when I tried creating a new account it said it was in the system.  finally figured it out, but annoying.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2014, 02:44:02 AM »

Obsidian is finally showing off gameplay - here's a Giantbomb quick look.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2014, 06:34:57 PM »

Delayed 2015 

I'm bummed about this.  Was really looking to dig into this game

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2014, 07:31:23 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 02, 2014, 06:34:57 PM

Delayed 2015 

I'm bummed about this.  Was really looking to dig into this game

I'm kind of glad. I've heard a bit of mixed opinions about the current quality of the beta, so I'm pleased to see that they're taking the time to really work out the kinks. It's not like we're in an RPG lull right now anyway, with Divinity (for those who haven't played it yet), Wasteland 2, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, and soon Dragon Age: Inquisition (for those who like their RPGs a bit more mainstream). This is the best CRPG season I can remember.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: