http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 03:55:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obscure game impressions: Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon  (Read 715 times)
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2005, 08:17:09 PM »

My girlfriend was gracious enough to buy me a copy of Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon for Christmas of '03. The game has sat on my shelf collecting dust until I finally took the shrinkwrap off on Sunday and started playing it. The game has a lot to recommend,  but ultimately I'm a little disappointed by it.

First off, I played the GBA port of the first Broken Sword game (have never seen, let alone played the second game) and I was so impressed with it. That game is remarkable for having beautiful hand-drawn graphics and a good plot with some truly witty dialog. The interplay between Nico and George was so well done that I really cared about the characters.

Most importantly though, the puzzles in the game were clever without being obscure. There was about six different times during that game where I would get stuck for about half-an-hour until I'd suddenly have an epiphany and figure out the puzzle. To this day it's the first adventure game I've finished without having to look through a walkthrough at least once. I got such a sense of satisfaction when I finally finished it.

Now that I've played through a good chunk of The Sleeping Dragon I have to say that I'm a trifle disappointed. First off, the game has made the transition to 3D, and brought with it some problems. The loading times are just atrocious and the static camera angles make navigating through all but the simplest rooms a chore.

I can forgive those flaws easily enough, but the move to 3D has also brought.... simplistic crate and light beam puzzles? Who decided that the world needed more of those? And to compound the problem, the game tips its hand far too often in the traditional puzzle sections, dropping very broad hints that all but give away the solution.

This isn’t too say I don’t like the game, because I do. The plot and dialog are a cut above what you see in most games and, for the most part, the voice actors completely nail the characters. Both Nico and George sound exactly like how I imagined they would when I played the first game. I think I’m getting to close to the end and I feel a little sad that it’ll be over soon. I’m just a little disappointed that the series has lost something in its move to 3D. I don’t think the game sold very well, but if they’re working on a sequel, I hope they can address some of this game’s flaws.
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 11:46:37 PM »

What a coincidence. I finally opened mine up as well. Broken Sword was one of those odd adventure games for me. If you are an adventure fan you have to play them, but something always makes me feel detatched from the story. While I do plan on finishing it I have a feeling that it will take a walkthrough to do it. A) Because I suck at puzzles B)It will help the game move faster.
I agree the game suffered in it's translation to a somewhat 3D world. With the controls crawling out bloodied and both legs broken. I had no problem adapting to Grim Fandango (Which people refused to play simply because it used a keyboard), but between the switching camera angles and the fact that left doesn't always mean left, it becomes an exercise to keep playing.

I also opened up Beyond Good & Evil today and it was like the heavens parted to give way to the sun, and for good measure throw in a rainbow and that fresh rain smell and maybe a kitten or two. So far I'm entranced and I've only completed the first mission.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 01:36:32 AM »

Played the last Broken Sword game and thought it was lame. Never played the others though so I don't have the history with the series you do, but as a stand-alone I thought it was bad.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 07:31:37 AM »

Loved the first 2, hated the third. The whole move to console controls/ 3D destroyed the charm for me and overly complicated a game that really didn't need it. Although I did play the PC version, so maybe it's better on Console. I do hate it when a game in a PC series ends up being a console port.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 07:44:28 PM »

I really enjoyed it myself.  I didn't think it was up there with the first game but I had a lot of fun and for the most part really enjoyed the transition to 3D.  

It did have way too many block-climbing puzzles though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: