http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 01:19:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oblivion-Tips , Advice and Help-Spoilerific  (Read 7346 times)
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2006, 09:56:49 PM »

I really would love it if Bethesda would make a glitch-free version of Morrowind for the 360 (hint, hint) so folks who love Oblivion could perhaps play Morrowind if they missed it.  

If they ever do this, I'm going to need an I.V. set up next to my couch.

85 hours in and I am STILL totally obsessed....woot- 12 hours and i get to play again..yay!

It's got legs if nothing else. And you know a game has got you when you can't wait to get back to it. I find myself thinking about what I'm going to do next all during the day (in RL).

Back on the subject of "no flying" (no levitating or slow-fall), I'm relieved that no one else is seeing this either. After 60-odd hours my Imperial Archer has become quite an Alchemist but I thought I must be missing something. Apparently not.

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
MerianMoriarty
Gaming Trend Reader

You will be baked, and then there will be cake.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2006, 05:20:10 PM »

actually, you can sort of super-jump--just get your acrobatics to 100 and you can jump a LONG way.  not as cool as the mods/haks for pc, which are 'real' super-jumps, but still fun.

XBox Live Gamertag: M Moriarty

Currently Playing:
<360> eternal sonata/warriors orochi/PORTAL!/that-game-with-that-dude-in-the-spacesuit-and-all-those-alien-guys3
<XBox> ...
<PS2> ffxii (working on Yiazmat) (on indefinite hold)
<PSP> dead head
Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2006, 08:35:25 PM »

<sigh> Got my 360 back and started playing Oblivion again.  Unfortunately I seem to have gotten a bugged quest with my ranger character.

I get sent on the Mystery of Harlun's Watch quest.  When I explore the cave for evidence, the body that is supposed to be there is missing.  I have looked all around the green marker with no luck.  Either the body never got spawned, or it is spawned under the world.  I tried reloading a save from a couple of quests back, but when I got there again, same problem.

Really sucks.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2006, 08:44:04 PM »

Oh, Stiff, you are hysterical - first of all, try to remember that this is not Animal Crossing or the Sims, lol - you don't have to have every house or every single bit of furniture!  

Speak for yourself!  I have to own a house in every city and be the head of every guild house.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2006, 02:45:08 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Speak for yourself!  I have to own a house in every city and be the head of every guild house.  smile

I'm almost there!

And since this is "spoilerific" I just ran into the first instance of the game where I felt like a total heartless bastard.

I did one of the Dark Brotherhood quests where you need to kill an entire family...  Anyway, you go and talk to this sweet old lady that thinks you are buying and delivering gifts for her kids.  She has a dog, Jack, that follows her around everywhere.  Well I didn't want to have to slay the dog so I went into sneak mode and killed her while he was sitting in the corner.  He didn't see me kill her, but he saw her body lying there.  He walked up to her, sat down beside her corpse, and then howled.  Damn near broke my cold, black heart.  I made sure to raid the pantry and drop all the food on the floor before I left for him.  Hope he likes onions...

I've killed a thousand monsters, hundreds of humans, and half my friends.  I am a hired assassin and I felt bad about some dog mourning the loss of his master.  I can't stop thinking about how sad it was and that this was actually coded into the game.

I realize this also says a lot about my psyche.  Damn that makes me sad.  I'm going to go check on him later...  Wish I could take him in and feed him tasty morsels of my annoying "adoring fan."

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2006, 03:41:36 PM »

You know, lol and lmao do not do your last post justice, Stiff! Nothing like sitting alone in the living room, late at night - and laughing out loud, long and hysterically. You feel foolish, and you want to share, but it's like 3 Am!

Thanks for a good laugh!  I'm going to read it again and enjoyit again, lol! :lol:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2006, 12:05:37 AM »

I called and told my mom about it.  She told me that a dog will stay with its dead owner.  Then she told me if I died my cat would start eating my corpse.  She thinks I'm crazy because this is a video game, I think she is crazy for what she told me calmly.  Which is worse?

Also, telling an older person that has never played a video game about the intricacies of the Black Hand organizational chart is met with a bit of awkward silence.  "But mom, you should be proud.  I am head of the fighters guild, thieves guild, dark brotherhood and grand champion of the arena!  And you never thought I'd amount to much."

I guess I should go find Martin.  100 hours in and might now get around to some of the main quest.

MerianMoriarty
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2006, 11:04:20 PM »

i think a 'sad howling dog' script is kinda cute...but not as cool as the end of Sheogorath's quest... XD

Currently Playing:
<360> eternal sonata/warriors orochi/PORTAL!/that-game-with-that-dude-in-the-spacesuit-and-all-those-alien-guys3
<XBox> ...
<PSP> dead head
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2006, 03:03:15 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
And since this is "spoilerific" I just ran into the first instance of the game where I felt like a total heartless bastard.

That is too funny.  I've never seen that.  I guess I always killed the dog too immediately smile  The dog textures in the game were actually created from photos of our lead character artist's dog, so I enjoy calling her up and saying "Hey I have something over here you need to look at".  Then when she gets to my desk I proceed to kill the dog in some horrible way like throwing it in lava or dropping it down in front of a blade trap smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2006, 12:33:17 AM »

Quote from: "kathode"
Quote from: "stiffler"

That is too funny.  I've never seen that.  I guess I always killed the dog too immediately smile  The dog textures in the game were actually created from photos of our lead character artist's dog, so I enjoy calling her up and saying "Hey I have something over here you need to look at".  Then when she gets to my desk I proceed to kill the dog in some horrible way like throwing it in lava or dropping it down in front of a blade trap smile

That is just WRONG. So terribly wrong.

And yet so funny. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2006, 02:14:26 AM »

Okay I'm just stupid. I grabbed this game today and installed it then DL'ed the BTmod that supposedly updates the UI to not make it SO BLOODY BIG. Yet when I start up the game it's still limited to 6 things at once on the screen and when I talk to characters the camera zooms way into their face. Any help on where to unrar the files to and or get this thing rolling would be helpful. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2006, 06:32:11 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Okay I'm just stupid. I grabbed this game today and installed it then DL'ed the BTmod that supposedly updates the UI to not make it SO BLOODY BIG. Yet when I start up the game it's still limited to 6 things at once on the screen and when I talk to characters the camera zooms way into their face. Any help on where to unrar the files to and or get this thing rolling would be helpful. smile

Extract all the files, keeping the folder setup, and then fire up the .html file included in the whole thing. Basically, the Menus folder will end up in your standard Oblivion/Data folder, and then a slew of files inside that folder. But you can configure the whole thing to your exact liking, so you'll need the readme.html file to explain it all. If I remember right though, as long as you extract the folder properly, it should just work.

But it's most definitely worth it. An absolute must for any Oblivion PC owner, period.

Your issue with the camera zooming in as close as it does when talking to NPCs is definied in the game's main .ini file. I don't know what setting it is, but I'll take a look for you to see if I can find it in the morning.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2006, 01:13:13 PM »

Well, I don't like replying to my own post, but...

To fix the 'but it on people's personal space every time you talk to them':

1) Browse to My Documents / My Games / Oblivion / Oblivion.ini
2) Search for (I hope this is right) fTalkingDistance
3) I currently have that set to 2000. If yours isn't set to 2000, change it to that. If I'm right, that should be the 'how close you are to the talking heads', and I found that distance to be perfect.
4) Save and open Oblivion back up again.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2006, 05:16:33 AM »

So, is there anyone who buys items for more than 12000 gold?

I was going to Bruma for all my shopping needs as the gent in Novaroma had a 100 disposition toward me and let me sell for closish to value.  I have no idea how long I'd been selling high priced items to him before I realized what an idiot I was being*.  No wonder his disposition was so high.

But now I'm collecting crap that is worth way more than the highest priced shop.  I don't understand why they would design the game with items worth so much and put a cap on how much the merchants have.  So, I assume I'm missing something.

How do you invest in a shop?  I've yet to see that option.

*In fairness, I assumed the guy would complain about not having enough gold like he did when I tried to sell multiple items.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2006, 02:54:50 PM »

As far as vendor cash goes:

Every vendor has a 'I'll buy anything as long as that price doesn't exceed X' limit to them. That's the cash thingy on the sell screen. All vendors have unlimited gold, but they'll refuse to give you more than that amount of cash per transaction. Yeah, it's weird.

On the other hand, if you have Merchantile skill of either 75 or 100 (I think it's 100), you can 'invest' in that shop and increase their max amount of cash to buy with by 500. That's it.

Needless to say, as I've never seen a vendor with more than 1500 gold on them, that means that you'll be selling a LOT of items for one heck of a loss. Nothing you can do about it either, short of mods.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2006, 03:51:46 PM »

Which is exactly why certain mods are mandatory downloads, IMO, even on your first play through. It took me about three to four hours of configuring mods just to get the game to look and run on my machine and now it's flowing smoothly. Gorgeous game too, that shit 360 interface is gone and replace by the elegant BTMod, and several textures have been replaced by well done ones. If anyone ever says that Oblivion was designed for PCs they're lying, period.

Fortunately, the PC version is the way to go thanks to the mod community. biggrin As I've only really just started I haven't DL'ed any of the merchant mods yet but that may be done quite soon.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2006, 07:14:11 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Gorgeous game too, that shit 360 interface is gone and replace by the elegant BTMod, and several textures have been replaced by well done ones. If anyone ever says that Oblivion was designed for PCs they're lying, period.

No kidding. As much as I love Oblivion, I still have to hate how the game was designed on the 360 first, and then just ported to the PC. One look at that insane 'interface' and you have to know it's nothing but a port.

As you said - thank goodness for the modding community.

Now, if I could only find another 100 hour chunk of free time to play through the game again... biggrin

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2006, 10:25:00 PM »

okay i need help - i'm just about to finish clavicus viles daedric quest, but whenever i give him the sword, get his mask or refuse to give him the sword my 360 locks hardcore - anyone have this problem? any way to work around it? help!
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 01, 2006, 12:59:16 AM »

well i dug around and found it - if this happens to anyone else here i guess its a bit of a pain

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/read_article.php?union_id=VDFE&topic_id=24612419

fast travel as soon as you can after giving / denying and NEVER GO BACK!
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2006, 12:16:59 AM »

hmm more questions - how do you add multiple enchantments to home made spells and items?  ive been playing a mage type guy and CANNOT for the life of me figure out how to do this.  im still wearing my +6 will / int / dest / etc etc robe but i want to enchant the archmages robes - only problem i can only add 1 thing! WTF?  same with spells i want a total "restore" spell (in case attributes get damaged) but can only figure out how to add one at a time - help please!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2006, 03:42:19 AM »

Quote from: "Doopri"
hmm more questions - how do you add multiple enchantments to home made spells and items?  ive been playing a mage type guy and CANNOT for the life of me figure out how to do this.  im still wearing my +6 will / int / dest / etc etc robe but i want to enchant the archmages robes - only problem i can only add 1 thing! WTF?  same with spells i want a total "restore" spell (in case attributes get damaged) but can only figure out how to add one at a time - help please!

To answer the question in two words:

You can't.

Yes, I realize that in Morrowind you could make multiple enchantments on a single item, as well as cast more than one spell per spell cast (the cure all attributes thing I used to use a lot), but for reasons I can't figure out, you simply can't do this in Oblivion. Balance reasons perhaps?

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2006, 03:50:13 AM »

I did get a Ring of Perfection that adds +10 to a list of 10 major attributes.

I just finished the whole entire game today and clocked in at just under 160 hours. Got to level 23.

Biggest dissappointment was waiting the two weeks to get the Dragon Armor and it has 35% less AC the my Daedric set.  AAACK!!!

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2006, 04:35:25 PM »

Wow, every dungeon, too?  I'm at 120 hours*, and I'm about to finish the second of my Guilds.  Two more guilds, arena, and story quest to go.  Then Daedric quests, if I want and unexplored dungeons.

*Inflated due to pausing and walking away, though.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2006, 05:21:45 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
Wow, every dungeon, too?  I'm at 120 hours*, and I'm about to finish the second of my Guilds.  Two more guilds, arena, and story quest to go.  Then Daedric quests, if I want and unexplored dungeons.

i'm at about 75 hours, my character is level 24, and i still have a ton of stuff to do.  i haven't touched the main quest since visiting the priory, and i'm only about halfway through the fighter, thief, and DB quests.  i'm arena champion, but i still haven't gotten all the mage's guild recs.  on top of all those quests left to do, i really haven't done much exploring outside of quests...i've made very few random stops not associated with a quest in some way, so i have a ton of caves/forts/ruins to visit.  i know that i play a little on the slow side, but i don't see how someone could do everything in less than 200 hours...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2006, 06:39:03 PM »

good times i thought i was the only one still going! i was just made archmage and already had arena champion - just started fighters guild.  i basically wander around and do whichever quests i feel like (ive gotten a bit more along in main than some of you guys so i wont say where), including the shrine quests.  also i wander a bit and if im bored or unencumbered ill stop into a random fort / cave / ruin just for a laugh.  done a few of the lesser quests and royalty quests as well.  and if anyone is a thief type and wants to know where an AWESOME item is let me know if you dont mind spoilers! i think im level 28? maybe 29
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2006, 08:38:04 PM »

Quote from: "disarm"

i'm at about 75 hours, my character is level 24, and i still have a ton of stuff to do.  i haven't touched the main quest since visiting the priory, and i'm only about halfway through the fighter, thief, and DB quests.  i'm arena champion, but i still haven't gotten all the mage's guild recs.  on top of all those quests left to do, i really haven't done much exploring outside of quests...i've made very few random stops not associated with a quest in some way, so i have a ton of caves/forts/ruins to visit.  i know that i play a little on the slow side, but i don't see how someone could do everything in less than 200 hours...

I am the head of every guild and completed the main quest line. I also completed most of the Daedric and "Town" quests. When I have finished those I am looking at about 170+ hours

Check out my gamer tag Oblivion = 1000 Points

Don't know what to tell you that's how long it took

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2006, 05:56:00 AM »

I am attempting the rather annoying Ultimate Heist quest of the thieves guild (annoying in the sense that I have had to exit with too much loot a half dozen times, and it is a pain to go all the way back through the maze of tunnels and sewers every time.

I am having a big problem with a particular spot and could really use help:

Spoiler for Hiden:
In the area where you have to shoot the arrow of extrication at the tiny keyhole on the other side of the room, I can hit it and get the chunk sound, but the inventory will not allow me to equip the arrow of e.  Is this a bug of some sort?  Am I just missing something?  Has anyone else faced this problem?

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2006, 07:06:33 AM »

Bullwinkle, you did try some practice shots I assume since you got the good sound.

I had a similar problem.  I just got off the switch and moved off and back on the switch.  Eventually it let me equip it.

I must say it was a PITA to hit that target since my archery skill was like 5 at the time!  Thankfully the game has a nice enough resolution and power to show a little puff of dust where I was hitting with my normal arrows or I would have never been able to get past.

Hope you get it working!

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2006, 02:02:04 PM »

I am attempting the rather annoying Ultimate Heist quest of the thieves guild (annoying in the sense that I have had to exit with too much loot a half dozen times, and it is a pain to go all the way back through the maze of tunnels and sewers every time.

I am having a big problem with a particular spot and could really use help:

Spoiler for Hiden:
In the area where you have to shoot the arrow of extrication at the tiny keyhole on the other side of the room, I can hit it and get the chunk sound, but the inventory will not allow me to equip the arrow of e.  Is this a bug of some sort?  Am I just missing something?  Has anyone else faced this problem?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Did your quest update as you were getting near the switch? I know it won't let you equip the arrow until the final quest update if I remember this correctly.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Definitely save right before you try. It took me three shots to get the elevation just right. I think I had 11(buffed) in Marksman at the time. As a BattleMage I hardly ever used a bow.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2006, 02:09:29 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm a pretty skilled marksman.  The quest has updated to the point of saying I should take a few practice shots before firing the a of e.  Have I somehow not actually hit it, despite the sound and all?  Should I be getting a quest message saying, "Now try the arrow of extrication" or something?  I spent way too long on this last night.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Well, I had tried moving off the platform and coming back, but apparently I hadn't gone far enough away (or given it time to reset, maybe).  Either way, the problem has been taken care of.  Thanks, gang!

MerianMoriarty
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2006, 04:54:17 AM »

okay i need help - i'm just about to finish clavicus viles daedric quest, but whenever i give him the sword, get his mask or refuse to give him the sword my 360 locks hardcore - anyone have this problem? any way to work around it? help!

YES  exact problem i've been having!
really torqued me for a long time.  

(i also had a problem with one of the thieves' guild quests -- when you have to retrieve the cat-chick's ring, it doesn't spawn where it's supposed to be, for me. i finally went back to my assassin quests and paid the blood-price to skip the thief quest.)

Currently Playing:
<XBox> ...
<PSP> dead head
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2006, 02:08:28 PM »

Quote from: "MerianMoriarty"

(i also had a problem with one of the thieves' guild quests -- when you have to retrieve the cat-chick's ring, it doesn't spawn where it's supposed to be, for me. i finally went back to my assassin quests and paid the blood-price to skip the thief quest.)

Same here, I didn't want to give him the Umbra sword because it rocks, but I saved it and tried both options and the game locks up.

I tried creating new saves and retrying, nope, still locks up

Cleared game cache, still locks up

Looks like a bug to me

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2006, 07:17:38 PM »

yea it is a bug - i posted a little bit after - if you want to finish the quest talk to the shrine, give / dont give the sword and AS SOON AS YOU CAN - like while hes still talking, keep hitting B and again AS SOON AS POSSIBLE fast travel the hell out of there and NEVER go back.  youll complete the quest, just DONT GO BACK!!!
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2006, 02:08:52 PM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"
Quote from: "MerianMoriarty"

Same here, I didn't want to give him the Umbra sword because it rocks, but I saved it and tried both options and the game locks up.

I tried creating new saves and retrying, nope, still locks up

Cleared game cache, still locks up

Looks like a bug to me

This is now fixed after you dl the update from Xbox Live.

Spoiler for Hiden:
First thing I did was run over and tell him I was keeping the sword.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Quest completes and dog leaves

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2006, 12:04:04 AM »

Decided to load up oblivion and see if the patch fixed my fighters guild quest bug... and it did!  So now I can finish out those quests!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2006, 04:20:31 PM »

Yeah it seems like they optimized the caching and item generation as well. Opening boxes, crates, sacks, etc open much quicker now.

I am finally done for good now! I completed all story arcs, and finished all the town quests and Daedric quests as well as the two add-on quests. Getting the final "prize" for finishing the Daedric line was pretty cool accept I didn't get to take advantage of it.

174 hours total, level 25 Orc BattleMage

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2006, 08:08:36 PM »

I've put in about 15 hours so far and I've found Martin and dropped him off near the northern city. I was just exploring and randomly came across an open Oblivion gate near Applewatch. Do Oblivion gates just show up and casn be treated as another optional tomb, or are there quests associated with them? I'm trying to decide whether I should go in and close it now or wait until I'm told to in the game.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2006, 08:09:40 PM »

Don't forget, you can now buy an addon to fix the broken vampire cure quest.

I need to get back into this and finish it off once and for all.

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2006, 01:10:54 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
I've put in about 15 hours so far and I've found Martin and dropped him off near the northern city. I was just exploring and randomly came across an open Oblivion gate near Applewatch. Do Oblivion gates just show up and casn be treated as another optional tomb, or are there quests associated with them? I'm trying to decide whether I should go in and close it now or wait until I'm told to in the game.

As you go on, Oblivion gates will be all over the place.  For the most part, you can hit them or not, depending on if you feel like it.  Pretty good loot and XP though as you go on!!

Finally finished Oblivion's main storyline two nights ago, so I can finally read this thread without being worried  smile  (Still have the mages guild to finish, but not too worried about spoilers that way)

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: