http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 03:21:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oblivion-Tips , Advice and Help-Spoilerific  (Read 7025 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2006, 02:02:01 PM »

Since we have a impression thread I thought I would make a dedicated help and tip thread.  Please be aware that spoilers might be contained within so you are warned.

Anyway, I need tips on  Speechcraft.  I totally borked myself with a vendor playing with it and is also a Heavy Armor Trainer.  So any tips on using Speechcraft would be appreciated

Has anyone been able to complete the Collect 12 Scales quest?  I've only found one of the damn finish in that lake.  

Last question, has anyone found a Blade Trainer?

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
sclick
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 03:53:28 PM »

Has anyone been through more than a couple of missions on the main quest? Does it ever give you a reason to wander off on your own for a while (ala Morrowind?)

So far everything seems really urgent, and I am hoping my character will have justification to do side-quests and explore without feeling like the world is going to disappear in an apocolpyse of flame and pain while he's off having fun.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 04:00:16 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
Since we have a impression thread I thought I would make a dedicated help and tip thread.  Please be aware that spoilers might be contained within so you are warned.

Anyway, I need tips on  Speechcraft.  I totally borked myself with a vendor playing with it and is also a Heavy Armor Trainer.  So any tips on using Speechcraft would be appreciated

So there's 4 quadrants that each get a different reaction, and the first round when talking to somebody should be used to figure out which of the 4 quadrants do what for that character.  One he will like (points go up a little), one he will love (points go up a lot), one he will dislike (points go down a little), and one he hates (points go down a lot).  Just go one cycle picking each one and take note of the point increase/decrease to figure out which does what.  

After that, its simply a matter of math - at the beginning of each round each quadrant will be assigned a random 'strength value', think of it as a number between 1 and 4.  You pick a quadrant, and the wheel will rotate a quarter turn.  You then pick from one of the three remaining quadrants and so on.  Just plan it out so that the quadrants he likes/loves get the bigger values, and the quadrants he dislikes hates get the smaller values - no matter how the wheel is set up, you should be able to pick them in an order such that the total like/love points are > than the dislike/hate points.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 06:12:18 PM »

I created a Mage with Blade and light armour skill but I am trying to decide if it is a good thing to have weapons skills while also being a mage or is it more practical to just use destruction magic instead of a sword combined with destruction magic. I am also using alteration magic and restoration magic to give me shields and to restore health
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 06:48:31 PM »

Quote from: "soulchilde"
Has anyone been able to complete the Collect 12 Scales quest? I've only found one of the damn finish in that lake.

Make this quest your active quest in your journal. You'll then have a green mark on your compass that will lead you to more Slaughterfish. The compass updates every time you kill a fish.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 07:03:31 PM »

OK, a word on the speechcraft thing:  It is just stupid that you have to use ALL forms anytime you use speechcraft.

'Vinnie the Hatchet' on his day job of mob-enforcer: "Hey Pal, pay up or I break your legs.  I can run the 40 in 4.25.  That color looks good on you.  Did you hear the one about the priest, the rabbi, and the minister?"

(And yes, I'm aware that it is more than possible to rewrite that to use all modes correctly, but my point is made: sometimes we use only one tactic.  No need to use ALL tactics everytime we want to smooth on someone.)

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 07:09:03 PM »

Quote from: "bluntman72"
I created a Mage with Blade and light armour skill but I am trying to decide if it is a good thing to have weapons skills while also being a mage or is it more practical to just use destruction magic instead of a sword combined with destruction magic. I am also using alteration magic and restoration magic to give me shields and to restore health

Personally, the armor would be useful, but how often are you gonna be swinging that blade (short of you exhausting your supply of mana)? And will you ever be using that Strength bonus you get whenever you level (short of carring goods)? Those are the decisions you're gonna have to make.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 07:15:35 PM »

Any thoughts on if a conjuror/summoner character will work well?  I remember trying one in Morrowind and wasn't terribly impressed with what you could summon, or the usefulness of the summoned creature.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 08:34:18 PM »

How to get a horse in 5 easy steps.  And I'm not bothering with the spoiler tag because this can be done the moment you get out of the sewer.

1.  Go through the intro dungeon.

2.  Fast Travel to Weyland Priory (sp?).

3.  Talk to Jauffre, go through his whole conversation arc.

4.  Once done talking, go downstairs and talk to the monk that initially greeted you at the door.

5.  Choose the conversation line that says, "Assistance"  He will give you permission to take his horse.

Voila, now you have a horse.  Yes, that's right.  You can get the horse at the very beginning of the game.

You can talk to all the monks in the house and use the assistance option to have them give you something useful.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 08:38:04 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
How to get a horse in 5 easy steps.  

It's probably worth mentioning that this is the first stop you make if you follow the main quest, so you'll get to this point pretty quickly anyways (assuming you decide to go to that town first after you're done messing around in the Imperial City).

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 10:03:31 PM »

Holy crap, the Countess's quest in Chorrol blew monkey chunks.  If anyone gets hung up on this (I was lost on one specific piece of evidence to gather) just message me or something before you go snap your disc in half or break a controller.  biggrin

How does the messaging stuff work on the 360 anyway?  I hear Knightshade Dragon's been getting a lot of help requests.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 02:49:48 PM »

A question on Soul Gems.  I don't seem to remember, but how do I fill one or is it a part of necromancy?

NiM$
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 05:07:16 PM »

How do you cancel pulling the bow back to fire.  Sometimes I think I want to shoot something and then I change my mind, but I have not found a way to cancel out of pulling the bow string back.  Anyone figure this out?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 05:13:09 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
How do you cancel pulling the bow back to fire.  Sometimes I think I want to shoot something and then I change my mind, but I have not found a way to cancel out of pulling the bow string back.  Anyone figure this out?

I can't figure it out either. It's BS.

PSN ID: EduardoX
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 05:25:32 PM »

Shoot it at your feet? Have you tried hitting A or start with the bow drawn? Or a hotkey to change weapons? Just some ideas, I never changed my mind in firing. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 05:52:11 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"

Shoot it at your feet? Have you tried hitting A or start with the bow drawn? Or a hotkey to change weapons? Just some ideas, I never changed my mind in firing. slywink

With an arrow cocked back, there's no way to cancel the shot. You can't change weapons or cast spells to stop it.

Thankfully, unlike Morrowind, you can simply fire into the floor and pick the arrow right back up.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2006, 12:51:27 AM »

Okay, I'm confused about torches. When I first started out the game in the tutorial dungeon/cave/sewer, I was able to hold a torch in one hand and the katana you get early on, in the other hand. Now that I am out in the countryside, I noticed that now I can't hold a torch and a one handed sword at the same time. I have to switch back and forth now, which is aggravating when exploring caves and dungeons. Am I missing something? I don't understand why I was able to hold both at the same time in the beginning of the game, and now cannot.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2006, 02:05:32 AM »

If anyone has any questions regarding Oblivion please message me. I have over 40 hours into the game.

I can't promise super fast responses but I'll help the best I can/if I can.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2006, 02:06:56 AM »

Quote from: "Jimmy the Fish"
Okay, I'm confused about torches. When I first started out the game in the tutorial dungeon/cave/sewer, I was able to hold a torch in one hand and the katana you get early on, in the other hand. Now that I am out in the countryside, I noticed that now I can't hold a torch and a one handed sword at the same time. I have to switch back and forth now, which is aggravating when exploring caves and dungeons. Am I missing something? I don't understand why I was able to hold both at the same time in the beginning of the game, and now cannot.

You should still be able to hold both at the same time. Hot key your shield to unequip it. After unequiping your shield equip the torch. It is best to keep your shield hotkeyed.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2006, 07:19:21 AM »

(Smacks forehead and exclaims "Duh!")

Thanks! That did it. Unequipping my shield allows me to hold the torch and sword.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2006, 03:10:18 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
Quote from: "Jimmy the Fish"

You should still be able to hold both at the same time. Hot key your shield to unequip it. After unequiping your shield equip the torch. It is best to keep your shield hotkeyed.

If you dont want to waste a hotkey for swapping, if you have shield and torch both equipped you will switch to the appropriate item when you draw/sheath your weapon. When you put your weapon away the torch comes out, when you draw your weapon the torch goes away and the shield comes out.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2006, 04:54:14 PM »

So.  Selling items.

Talking to Lockdown, we're not sure if different shops give different prices for the same items or not.  Input?  I'd have more info...but got a DDE. frown
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2006, 05:58:31 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
So.  Selling items.

Talking to Lockdown, we're not sure if different shops give different prices for the same items or not.  Input?  I'd have more info...but got a DDE. frown

Yeah, I was wondering about that too.  I do know that Disposition effects the haggling skill so you can definitely get betters deals by trading to someone who likes you, but I'm not sure if the base prices change from merchant to merchant.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2006, 07:40:57 PM »

I've noticed price differences. As a matter of fact, there's a quest based on it in the market section of the capitol.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2006, 07:49:43 PM »

A lot of it has to do with the haggling skill of the merchant and their disposition towards you.

On another note, it's freaking annoying that a guard can look at you and go, "Oh, you stole something!"  And of course, chase you ALL OVER THE CITY.  I stole something from a plce I was supposed to take a book from on a quest (has to do with stuff stolen from the dead).  Anyway, I have to go back now and hope I have a quicksave before I talked to that guard, but after I got the stuff. biggrin
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2006, 08:23:42 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
So.  Selling items.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too.  I do know that Disposition effects the haggling skill so you can definitely get betters deals by trading to someone who likes you, but I'm not sure if the base prices change from merchant to merchant.

Selling prices are based on a bunch of things. Primarily it is how high their disposition is. This can be directly modified by the charm mini-game, spells in the Charm line (that directly increase their disposition for a few seconds), and buying/selling items to the merchant.

From there, you can hit the Haggle button and try to sell items for more than what the merchant usually would pay for it. How far you can move the bar up is based on your disposition with the merchant, as well as how much more (or less) your Merchant skill is compared to the vendor.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2006, 11:24:40 PM »

A lot of it has to do with the haggling skill of the merchant and their disposition towards you.

On another note, it's freaking annoying that a guard can look at you and go, "Oh, you stole something!"  And of course, chase you ALL OVER THE CITY.  I stole something from a plce I was supposed to take a book from on a quest (has to do with stuff stolen from the dead).  Anyway, I have to go back now and hope I have a quicksave before I talked to that guard, but after I got the stuff. biggrin

Unless you had a bounty on your head the guard shouldn't have hassled me.  Just today I stopped to talk to a guard carrying no less than 4 grand worth of stolen items.

As an aside, I was recently offered the chance to voluntarily become a vampire, and I am seriously considering it... anyone else done this yet or planning on it?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2006, 11:59:33 PM »

I think I know who gave you that choice, and I'm on the fence as well.  Sounds super cool, not sure what bonuses you get for becoming a vampire, but I am thinking it over...

I'd like to see a breakdown of bonuses you gain / lose, though.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2006, 12:04:08 PM »

For those that don't know, you can yield to enemies if you don't want to fight them.  If they accept, combat will end and you'll have to deal with the consequences depending on what started the fight.  Most times they won't accept, but it's useful for accidental attacks.

To Yield, hold down the block trigger, then press the use button on the person you're fighting as though you were going to talk to him.  There'll be a message saying whether he accepts the yield.  If he accepts, he'll usually put away his weapon.

For instance, I got in trouble with the guards and accidently hit resist arrest.  I simply yielded to him and restarted the conversation, going to jail and serving my time.

I haven't encountered an NPC yielding to me, but they said it's possible.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2006, 03:36:53 PM »

1) Is there a way to place a marker on the map and then label it?  Otherwise, what's the point of having markers on the map?

2) Does turn undead do any damage or does it just make them run away?

3) Is it possible to rest in the wilderness or only in towns?  I reached a new level and it advised me to rest, but I was in a cave and didn't want to go back to town.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2006, 04:51:29 PM »

Quote from: "DonD"
1) Is there a way to place a marker on the map and then label it?  Otherwise, what's the point of having markers on the map?

3) Is it possible to rest in the wilderness or only in towns?  I reached a new level and it advised me to rest, but I was in a cave and didn't want to go back to town.

1) no way to label them that I know about.  I just use the markers to guide me when hunting for a cave or whatever for the first time.

2) haven't used the spell, but I think it only makes them run.  Unless you make your own version that does damage as well.

3)you can rest in the wilderness/dungeons if you find a bedroll, and have no enemies around.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2006, 03:17:20 PM »

Quote from: "DonD"

The marker is a one time deal, and you cant name it. If you want to use it in another place you have to move it. That said the game does a really good job of marking any significant locations on your map, but it would have been cool to be able to write in a text box something like "Vampire Den" The only point would be to remember something you want to go back to, but didn't explore yet. There may be other reasons that people would come up with.

Turn Undead = Chance to make undead flee for 30 seconds

Resting, can only be performed in a bed roll outside at an encampment (Ala Kvatch camp), a Guild building, or any Inn/House that has a bed that does not highlight as a red icon indicating it is not a community bed. Most beggars/homeless also sleep outside on bedrolls that you can sometimes use.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2006, 03:42:52 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
I think I know who gave you that choice, and I'm on the fence as well.  Sounds super cool, not sure what bonuses you get for becoming a vampire, but I am thinking it over...

I'd like to see a breakdown of bonuses you gain / lose, though.

Vampires:

The process runs over the course of 4 days, and the metamorphosis/disease runs its course further each time you sleep.

Once you are a vampire you can increase your abilities by NOT feeding. Feeding actually lowers you to the lowest level vampire, but allows you to walk in the daylight.

Upside:
You get +5 to many of your skills, and get some resistances to disease, paralysis and normal weapons. These bonuses increase by up to +5 each day you don't feed up to 4 days.

Downside:
At 4 days most people will not interact with you because it will be obvious to them that you are a vampire. This may make quest taking and selling items very difficult.

You absolutely can not walk outside without taking severe damage, and you have a great weakness to fire based spells. If you try to fast walk through daylight hours you will die.

Vampire Powers:

Hunter's Sight: you can use this spell repeatedly to have Night-Eye and Detect Life for 30 seconds. You can keep using it over and over for a small amount of Magicka.

Vampire's Seduction: Powerful Charm spell for 20 seconds. This can help you to interact with people as a full fledge Vampire.

Reign of Terror: Silence and Demoralize spell. This can help take the edge off those fire spewing Oblivion Imps.

Embrace of Shadows: ( Once a Day Use ) 3 minutes of invisibility with 90 seconds of Night-Eye. Great get of trouble spell.

If you contract the disease you can stop it by using a cure disease spell or going to a church and using the alter. Otherwise you will need to go back to a save point. I have also heard of a long quest you can take to cure Vampirism once it takes hold, but you have to complete all the recommendation quests for the Mage's Guild and have access to the Arcane University

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2006, 03:56:44 PM »

Many sites and the Prima Guide book state that to make a novice health potion you need:

Lady Smock Leaves and a Cairn Bolete Cap

This is incorrect

You actually need:

Lady Mantle Leaves and a Cairn Bolete Cap

The problem is that the Guide book is wrong and many websites are copying the info from the book. Just a heads up.

Magicka Potions = Flax seeds and Steel Blue Entoloma

Apprentice level

Night-Eye = Carrot and Viper Bugloss leaves

The key to Alchemy is trying to match up the tiers of effects, and it will show you what the result will be prior to creating it.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2006, 05:07:21 PM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"
The key to Alchemy is trying to match up the tiers of effects, and it will show you what the result will be prior to creating it.

Matching the tiers is important? I thought the only thing that influenced how good a crafted potion is is your skill in Alchemy, and whatever alchemist items you have on you.

For those high level alchemists, potions are invaluable. You can craft healing potions that regenerate your HP so much that you can take a beating from 6 guys at once, and make Magicka and Fatigue potions so good you can cast/run/fight without ever taking a break.

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2006, 05:12:53 PM »

Night before last I made 2 potions that has 2 effects.  Something like Restore Fatigue and Detect Life.  I forgot which two reagents I used, but I believe one of them was a orange

NiM$
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2006, 06:20:21 PM »

For some reason, this time around, I am having alot of fun with alchemy just picking up stuff and mixing different potions and poisons. Maybe its the fact we can make poison now that has me interested. Damage fatigue and Damage health are my favorites.

I just make my first point with two effects last night too.

Alchemy and Sneaking don't seem to be as much of a grind to me as they did in Morrowind.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2006, 07:37:27 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Matching the tiers is important? I thought the only thing that influenced how good a crafted potion is is your skill in Alchemy, and whatever alchemist items you have on you.

For those high level alchemists, potions are invaluable. You can craft healing potions that regenerate your HP so much that you can take a beating from 6 guys at once, and make Magicka and Fatigue potions so good you can cast/run/fight without ever taking a break.

It's only important to the subject I was speaking on, which was creating specific potions from specific ingredients. Once you get to Master level you can actually make potions from just one ingredient. Until then you have to match ingredients to get the desired potion.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2006, 08:04:48 PM »

It's only important to the subject I was speaking on, which was creating specific potions from specific ingredients. Once you get to Master level you can actually make potions from just one ingredient. Until then you have to match ingredients to get the desired potion.

Ahha. That's what you meant. I only have 60ish skill (only have 3 tiers of items), so Master skill (the whole 'one ingredient = potion thing' is a bit away.

Quote from: "Scoop20906"
For some reason, this time around, I am having alot of fun with alchemy just picking up stuff and mixing different potions and poisons. Maybe its the fact we can make poison now that has me interested. Damage fatigue and Damage health are my favorites.

I just make my first point with two effects last night too.

Alchemy and Sneaking don't seem to be as much of a grind to me as they did in Morrowind.

Damage Health potions make a serious dent in your target's health now. Heck - mine are something like 6 or 8 damage a second over 20 seconds, so it makes those more difficult fights a ton easier.

And Sneaking is much easier to raise than Morrowind. In Oblivion, all you need to do is just follow somebody around during their daily activities in Sneak mode and you'll gain a level easily. And whacking somebody with a stealth hit from behind is a ton of fun. smile

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2006, 09:01:27 PM »

"Why is that Destructor guy following guys into the changeroom with a wet towel poised?"

:shock:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: