http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 05:59:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oblivion no longer a launch day title (XBox 360)  (Read 2518 times)
Cleric7
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2005, 06:27:19 PM »

File this under: Not Surprised At All

My buddy at EB informs me that Oblivion has experienced the first (of many?) of it's date delays. It will no longer be a Day One release with the XBox 360 (as had been promised repeatedly by Microsoft and the developers)

EB's webpage for Oblivion now has it listed as November 21st, a week or two after the official launch.

A week or two? Is that all???
To me it absolutely is a big deal!! It is the only launch title that I am interested in, and I have a very bad feeling that this is simply the first of the delays for this title!

And please don't give me any of that "Launch Window" crap that Microsoft if spewing! They are defining the launch window for the 360 as FOUR FRIGGIN' MONTHS!!!

...so when can I switch my 360 deposit over to the PS3???....

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 06:35:33 PM »

Wow, if you can't make it through a 4-moth launch window, how are you going to stomach it if the PS3 gets delayed until 2007?  Sony did the same launch window thing with the PSP, so Sony is not immune to it.  I am certainly disappointed that I have to wait a little longer for Oblivion, but I think it will be worth it.  Plus, there are some other launch day games I am interested in.  Too many, in fact.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 06:35:36 PM »

Considering how close this site is with Bethseda...I'd wait and see what KD has to say on the subject.  EB might be right, but then again...they might not be.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 06:35:47 PM »

I hear ya! We don't have to put up with this! I DEMAND they release it on launch day, filled with bugs and half its content unfinished or cut!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 06:35:52 PM »

Let me be the first of many to say this:

BOO.  :cry:

Oh well. I'll simply wait. You know you're gonna buy it anyway, whenever it comes out, right?

Edit: 4 of us responded at the exact same minute. How the hell did that happen? biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 06:37:06 PM »

Exactly, I'd like to have it on launch day, but there are just so many coming out that this actually helps me out.  I'd rather have the game finished than rushed (KOTOR 2 anyone?).
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 06:42:35 PM »

Yeah and of course we all know that EB is the GOD of launch dates.... give me a break.  As a former manager of EB, our dates were wrong on many occasions.  Seeing as we also don't actually have an official date for the system I would take this with a grain of salt.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 06:46:39 PM »

I'm trying to understand where Bethesda or Microsoft EVER said it was a launch day release.  Ever since it was shown off it was announced as a "launch window" (however that is to be interpreted) game...maybe many people got it in their heads it would be out on release day *shrug*.

Heck, at this point they don't know if PGR3 will be a launch day game or not, it may also be in the "launch window".

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 06:54:22 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
I'm trying to understand where Bethesda or Microsoft EVER said it was a launch day release.  Ever since it was shown off it was announced as a "launch window" (however that is to be interpreted) game...maybe many people got it in their heads it would be out on release day *shrug*.

Heck, at this point they don't know if PGR3 will be a launch day game or not, it may also be in the "launch window".

Can anybody help with this. You may be right, but I could swear I read things to the effect that it "will launch with the system". "It will be ready!" Now maybe they meant that the game would make the infamous "Launch Window", which means that when the game ships in early March they can claim they made the "Launch Window."  :?

I guess I am just feeling a little antsy. I have no intention of dropping close to $600 Canadian for the system on launch day and having nothing to play on it (possibly for months)

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 06:58:43 PM »

I think the confusion comes from them "hoping" it would be out on release day, but taking the more realistic "launch window" angle.  As far as I know the plan was always to have it out by the end of the year but probably not on launch day.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 07:09:41 PM »

My buddy at EB informs

I'll toss that out right now.  I used to run an EB, they had little idea what was going on.  Its best guess with them.

That said, I'll confirm with my contacts (if I can) and report back.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 07:10:41 PM »

Also, there is no official release date for the Xbox 360 as of yet.  All we have to go on is a supposed EB e-mail saying November 14th (week of).  Then again, earlier we heard from Wal-Mart about November 4th...both may be wrong.

Nevermind that most launch games are still dated for 11/1/05 at EB...they don't know their head from their ass at this point until something is announced or it gets closer to November.

Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2005, 07:11:14 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
I think the confusion comes from them "hoping" it would be out on release day, but taking the more realistic "launch window" angle.  As far as I know the plan was always to have it out by the end of the year but probably not on launch day.

Ok, thanks.
The whole thing has certainly given me pause for thought though(especially with the PC version now listed as shipping earlier than the 360 version. Hmmm...)

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005, 07:14:24 PM »

PC version is also slated for 11/1/05 which, although a Tuesday, is unlikely.  When EB puts a 1st date that means they think it will release that month in the majority of cases.

As far as I know Bethesda has said the Xbox 360 and PC games would be released on the same day.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2005, 07:36:13 PM »

Quote from: "Cleric7"
My buddy at EB informs me...

...and that's where I stopped. smile

Yeah, as others have mentioned, I think Oblivion was meant to be a launch window game (just like PGR3, yes) for the X360. Now, despite what I may personally think of the "launch window" concept, there it is.

By all accounts, Bethesda is still hopeful to have the game released this year, and I've my fingers crossed that I'll be able to purchase the PC version of it before christmas.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2005, 09:12:41 PM »

You're scaring me!  

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2005, 09:38:10 PM »

Calm down everyone!

One week after the launch of the 360 is not the end of the world....

Sure, I would love for it to come out on launch date (PLEASE BETHESDA!!!) but I won't die if I have to wait 1 week.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2005, 12:07:08 AM »

EB dates get changed a lot but they almost never get moved UP.  So if I was a betting man, and I am, I would wager Oblivion will not see store shelves before any date EB has listed.

olaf
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2005, 12:20:35 AM »

Oblivion was the only launch title I was expecting to pick up - it is the end of the world for me if I now have to get Madden or something like that to keep me entertained for that week or two :-)

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2005, 01:15:36 AM »

...so when can I switch my 360 deposit over to the PS3???....

I hope you aren't a PSP owner anxiously awaiting (and still waiting) for the promised US 2.0 firmware upgrade. :wink:

Personally, I'm just going to wait for the games I want before I buy the damned thing.  When PGR3 hits I will buy a 360.  I waited until Soul Calibur 2 came out to buy my Xbox...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2005, 01:54:07 AM »

What worries me is the possibility that Oblivion is going to be pushed back even more.

Think about it: either they are close to having it ready for launch or they are not.

If it's ready, then why wouldn't Bethesda (and Microsoft!) want it out there on Day One??

Which is more reasonable to assume:

1) Bethesda knows they are going to be exactly one week late getting the game finished??

or

2) They know they're likely not going to be ready for the launch and word is trickling down to places like EB?

Honestly, unless this is an out-and-out error on EB's part, they don't generally push back dates for no reason.

I hope I'm wrong and we'll all be enjoying this game the second week in November, but I am starting to get a bad feeling about this...

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2005, 02:06:46 AM »

What worries me is the possibility that Oblivion is going to be pushed back even more.

Think about it: either they are close to having it ready for launch or they are not.

If it's ready, then why wouldn't Bethesda (and Microsoft!) want it out there on Day One??

Which is more reasonable to assume:

1) Bethesda knows they are going to be exactly one week late getting the game finished??

or

2) They know they're likely not going to be ready for the launch and word is trickling down to places like EB?

Honestly, unless this is an out-and-out error on EB's part, they don't generally push back dates for no reason.

I hope I'm wrong and we'll all be enjoying this game the second week in November, but I am starting to get a bad feeling about this...

Maybe because MS doesn't want to shoot it's wad in one shot and maybe want another high profile game out a week or two after launch?

Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2005, 02:07:12 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
My buddy at EB informs

I'll toss that out right now.  I used to run an EB, they had little idea what was going on.  Its best guess with them.

That said, I'll confirm with my contacts (if I can) and report back.

Hehe... Hopefully it isn't the same contact that told you two sku's for the 360 was BS  :wink:
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2005, 02:07:20 AM »

Also just noticed that Oblivion is not among the titles listed on EB's main XBox 360 page.

It might mean nothing, but seems kinda odd.

At this point I'd love to hear some good news from the Bethesda folks. We want your game guys!! biggrin  biggrin

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2005, 03:02:00 AM »

How the hell would EB know if the people at Bethesda aren't even positive when it will be ready? And who from Bethesda ever said it would be a launch day title, and for that matter, who here actually knows when launch day is?
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2005, 03:31:07 AM »

I suspect that any delays to the XBox 360 version means similar delays the PC version.  At best the versions will ship the same day but don't be suprised if the 360 version ships first.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2005, 04:28:56 AM »

Oblivion was the only launch title I was expecting to pick up - it is the end of the world for me if I now have to get Madden or something like that to keep me entertained for that week or two
Dimmona - no interest in Kameo? Or, if you were interested, have I missed that delay announcement, too?  All I've been doing is playing "Ratchet: Deadlocked" like a maniac and walking the darned puppy -  and have lost a lot of time on CG!  I know: Bad Person, Bad Person! :evil:

Personally, I'm just going to wait for the games I want before I buy the damned thing. When PGR3 hits I will buy a 360.
Ahh, Stiffler, Stiffler, Stiffler.... I thought I had you interested in Oblivion?  Am I thinking of someone else, or are you just trying to disappoint me?  :cry:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2005, 11:18:53 AM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
Oblivion was the only launch title I was expecting to pick up - it is the end of the world for me if I now have to get Madden or something like that to keep me entertained for that week or two
Dimmona - no interest in Kameo? Or, if you were interested, have I missed that delay announcement, too?  All I've been doing is playing "Ratchet: Deadlocked" like a maniac and walking the darned puppy -  and have lost a lot of time on CG!  I know: Bad Person, Bad Person! :evil:

Personally, I'm just going to wait for the games I want before I buy the damned thing. When PGR3 hits I will buy a 360.
Ahh, Stiffler, Stiffler, Stiffler.... I thought I had you interested in Oblivion?  Am I thinking of someone else, or are you just trying to disappoint me?  :cry:

He may be getting it for the PC.

Anyway, here are some new screens to brighten everyones day, in case you didn't see the post in the PC forum! smile

http://www.jeux-france.com/news11907_elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-scanne.html

Check the images section!

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2005, 01:37:45 PM »

Bupkis.  Made Up.  Shammy.  EB being EB.  Its all smoke and mirrors...EB is just making up dates at this point.  Trust me on this. slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2005, 01:38:51 PM »

Those are amazing pictures, Hetz!! :shock:

[edited to add] That's great news Ron!! I am more excited than ever about this game. Come on, November!!

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2005, 06:17:26 PM »

I think the people still believeing in this thing coming out right around launch are doing some wishful thinking. If the game could be finished a week later then it could be ready at launch. This smells exactly like the standard delay stuff that will lead it it being anywhere from weeks to several months later.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2005, 06:23:18 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
I think the people still believeing in this thing coming out right around launch are doing some wishful thinking. If the game could be finished a week later then it could be ready at launch. This smells exactly like the standard delay stuff that will lead it it being anywhere from weeks to several months later.

Well, we shall see...

I for one am pretty sure it will be out in November at least that is the plan as of right now. I can almost 100 % guarantee it will be out then from talking with various sources.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2005, 10:14:11 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"

I'm interested, but honestly PGR3 is the system-seller for me.  I hope Oblivion lives up to the hype, but until I play or read about actual gameplay I just won't know.  I can't deny it looks great, but will it be interesting and fun to play?  I just don't want to get too excited quite yet!  Hate to let you down, mytoc, I'm just feeling a bit reserved at the moment.

I'll probably pick it up for the 360, though.  If I really like it I'll grab the PC version for mods and expansions.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: