http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 03:51:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oblivion: My Punishment.  (Read 1747 times)
GGMark
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2006, 05:44:24 PM »

So as my punishment for picking up oblivion which I prolly shouldnt have done, as I just got Kingdom hearts II.  My copy doesnt work.  CD isnt recognized in the drive.  Nice.  And Figures as well....

<cry>
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 05:48:13 PM »

I've heard of some rare instances where the Oblivion DVD is a bad copy.  If you bought it locally you should be able to exchange it for a new one without a problem.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 06:27:57 PM »

Yea, I know.  I have to work today though, and wanted to get some in before work..frown  Oh well, back it goes tomorrow.  It happens.  I had a bad copy of CIV IV when i got home too.  Thems the breaks.

Back to KHII for me..smile
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 07:35:47 PM »

There's a very, very low probability to get two bad discs in a row from two totally seperate game publishers.  In other words, are you sure your CD/DVD-drive isn't dying?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 07:42:25 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
There's a very, very low probability to get two bad discs in a row from two totally seperate game publishers.  In other words, are you sure your CD/DVD-drive isn't dying?

I would agree with this.  May be time to check the drive.  Do you have any other machines you could test the DVD in?
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 07:42:50 PM »

I agree with -Lord Ebonstone-.  I've been buying computer games since they shipped on 5 1/4" floppy disks, and I can count the number of times I've had a legitimate media failure on one hand.  This sounds a lot more like a failing DVD drive...or perhaps even one of those StarForce-related drive problems...? :shock:

-Autistic Angel
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »

Hm, Dont think, seems to work fine for everything else I put in there. CD's, Dawn of War, both Editions, Star Wars, Empire at War.  Diablo II and Exspansion.  Ummm, Warcraft III and the exspansion.

I mean I suppose it could be, but I have only had the PC for like a year and half, or so.  Maybe 2.

I have the GF's pc I can test it in, will do that later.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 08:03:21 PM »

How old is the DVD player? It could be it can't reccognize the newest copy protection on the DVD disc.

This was a problem for me several years ago when I had DVD discs that would work fine on some DVD-ROMs but not others. It was due to the copy protection.

So if it isn't a bad disc you might try picking up a new DVD-ROM. One good thing is they're dirt cheap.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 08:04:00 PM »

Just to be sure, your drive is a DVD drive, right?  If it's only a CD drive then it won't recognize the Oblivion DVD.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 08:32:13 PM »

that would be the problem then.

I didnt notice that it said DVDPC on the box.  But that would be the problem I bet....frown

Now I am sad...frown
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 09:23:12 PM »

Quote from: "GGMark"
that would be the problem then.

I didnt notice that it said DVDPC on the box.  But that would be the problem I bet....frown

Now I am sad...frown
Hahaha!  Yeah, helps to have a DVD drive for those DVDs.   Tongue

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 10:45:34 PM »

Thought that might be it.  I have 2 drives at work and I stick DVDs in the wrong one from time to time.

You can solve that problem for a mere $20.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 09:16:19 AM »

Quote from: "Crawley"
How old is the DVD player? It could be it can't reccognize the newest copy protection on the DVD disc.

This was a problem for me several years ago when I had DVD discs that would work fine on some DVD-ROMs but not others. It was due to the copy protection.

So if it isn't a bad disc you might try picking up a new DVD-ROM. One good thing is they're dirt cheap.

Not being able to read the latest protection would definitely be an issue - if there were any protection on the Oblivion CD.

That's right.  No copy protection used on Oblivion.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 07:12:28 PM »

Not being able to read the latest protection would definitely be an issue - if there were any protection on the Oblivion CD.

That's right. No copy protection used on Oblivion.

You forgot to add "SO THERE SUCKA!!!" at the end of your post.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 09:08:20 PM »

That's right. No copy protection used on Oblivion.

You forgot to add "SO THERE SUCKA!!!" at the end of your post.

???
Papageno
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 11:27:40 PM »

Quote from: "MaxSteele"

Wow.  While I greatly appreciate being able to back up my precious Oblivion DVD, I hope there isn't excessive piracy due to that.

Does this mean the game doesn't read the voices and such off of the DVD in game, and that I don't need to have the DVD in the drive while playing?
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2006, 02:27:19 AM »

Quote from: "Papageno"
Quote from: "MaxSteele"

Wow.  While I greatly appreciate being able to back up my precious Oblivion DVD, I hope there isn't excessive piracy due to that.

Does this mean the game doesn't read the voices and such off of the DVD in game, and that I don't need to have the DVD in the drive while playing?

It still does a CD check, so you need to keep the DVD in the drive.

As for reading the voices and such off the DVD, no, it installs everything to your HD.
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2006, 12:00:57 PM »

Afer installing in a rush and playing for an hour I realized that I didn't have to enter a cd key.

Huge kudos to Bethesda for this, they are obviously taking a chance, but when the sales numbers roll in I bet they will be more than happy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: