http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 05:31:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oblivion makes record-breaking sales  (Read 1089 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2006, 06:20:53 PM »

From the front page:
----------
Curious how that little game from Bethesda is selling? Does it seem like everyone on Xbox Live is playing it? You know the one I'm talking about - Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion! Well, according to this release Oblivion has sold over 1.7 million copies already! Check it out:

In North America, Oblivion has become the fastest selling game released on the Xbox 360. The NPD Group Inc reports Oblivion PC as the best selling PC game, while the Oblivion Collectors Edition is ranked number 2. NPD reports that Oblivion represented approximately 13% of all PC game sales in the first week of its release, more than four times the sales volume of the next best selling title. (The Elder Scrolls III: MorrowindŽ, the highly-regarded predecessor to Oblivion, remains one of the top 25 best selling PC games nearly four years after its release, according to NPD). European results have been similarly strong with Oblivion quickly becoming ranked the number one selling title in the UK, Germany and France.
----------

I love hearing this kind of news, its beneficial for both the PC and the 360 to have this game turn out so well, and in turn sell so well. Congrats, Bethesda! But more imortantly, congrats to us gamers who got an excellent game!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 07:06:03 PM »

Well-deserved.  Love it when games that deserve sales sell like hotcakes, instead of Ride or Die or Bulletproof stinkers.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 07:13:24 PM »

*cough*front page*cough*

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 09:23:43 PM »

Well, that's what you get for the poor story title, I didn't even notice it. Edited the original post.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 11:43:42 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"
*cough*front page*cough*

Just one thing about that news post....

Shipped does not equal sold.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 11:53:24 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Quote from: "Graham"
*cough*front page*cough*

Just one thing about that news post....

Shipped does not equal sold.

Very true.

However, in this instance (unlike some crap titles that tell the world how many they've 'sold'), I'm guessing that the actual number sold is pretty close to the number shipped.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 01:35:08 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

I'm guessing that the actual number sold is pretty close to the number shipped.

I would further hazard a guess that the majority of those shipped were to fulfill pre-orders (such as yours truly). It might not be an overwhelming majority, but I'd bet it was at least 50-60% of units shipped.

Purely speculation on my part. I have no stats. I've been too busy wandering around Cyrodiil to do any research.

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 01:36:17 AM »

Considering how long the Xbox 360 is out, being the fastest selling game on the XBOX 360 isn't that impressive to me.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 05:32:45 AM »

not saying that oblivion is the same,but here in the UK driver 3(or driv3r)had record sales for first day games when it was released,and everyone at reflections or whoever it is who do them were celebrating,but then the game had record 'returns' the next day,....people had bought it,hated it and returned itLOL

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 04:21:58 PM »

I would further hazard a guess that the majority of those shipped were to fulfill pre-orders (such as yours truly). It might not be an overwhelming majority, but I'd bet it was at least 50-60% of units shipped.

Purely speculation on my part. I have no stats. I've been too busy wandering around Cyrodiil to do any research

Ha ha, so true, so true!  Gotta go now myself, finally made it into the Arcane college... got a late start due to the FFXI beta, but making up for lost time, playing night and day, lol... whenever possible!  I'd be farther along if I didn't have to look into every crate, barrel, and cave, but I love it so who cares?  :wink:

I doubt this will be on too many "to be returned" lists either, it's just too compelling, beautiful, and fun!  I think the sales will just continue to go up as more people decide they have to check it out the more they hear of it. Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: