http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 04:50:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Did you buy the Horse Armor?  (Voting closed: May 05, 2006, 06:20:13 PM)
Yes, got it and love it!! - 4 (9.1%)
No, but I plan on getting it. Go horsey! - 2 (4.5%)
No, not ever getting this. - 38 (86.4%)
Total Voters: 44

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oblivion - Horse Armor "Mod" Poll  (Read 2423 times)
Scoop20906
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2006, 06:20:13 PM »

Well, for those who don't know, in the Xbox Live Marketplace, the first "mod" for Oblivion is available.

It adds two types of horse armor. It costs 200 mp ($2.50). The trick is the armor actually doesn't protect your horse anymore than without it. I have seen some grumbling online about this because the description in the marketplace doesn't mention this.

So, I just wanted to get an idea of who has bought this mod on our forum.

------------------------

In fact, I really hate the way the marketplace displays things it is selling. Themes and gamer pictures are never really displayed properly and in effect you really don't know what you are getting and there are NO REFUNDS. I got a theme the other day and didn't like it. Microsoft should give you the option of demoing the theme or pictures one day and then u have to pay to keep it. As it is, I won't buy any of that stuff now because if I don't like it I can't get a refund. Basically buyer beware.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 06:25:21 PM »

It doesn't seem worth it to me.  If it were something more substantial, I would consider it, but I'd rather use the points for something else.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 06:35:39 PM »

I am not going to pay money for this minor add-on.  Is paying for roster updates in sports games coming soon?  I would bet so.  I hate this trend.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 06:44:53 PM »

I have no problem paying for things like this and downloaded the horse armor as soon as I had a chance.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 07:11:39 PM »

No way I'm paying for this.  I will pay for new quests or areas but not something ridiculous like this.  And I agree with scoop - please let us SEE what we are purchasing so we can be sure we like it!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 07:12:11 PM »

Heh, somebody uploaded a free version of the horse mod yesterday for the PC version (looks like its been taken down already).  I'm all for microtransactions, but I want something meatier for my $2.  Like a bunch of unique weapons, maybe more quests, a new area, etc.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 07:12:45 PM »

Quote from: "Scoop20906"
It adds two types of horse armor. It costs 200 mp ($2.50). The trick is the armor actually doesn't protect your horse anymore than without it. I have seen some grumbling online about this because the description in the marketplace doesn't mention this.

From what I've read, all this 'mod' does it increase the number of HP your horse has, as there's no way to give a horse an armor value. Unfortunately, in order to do this, Bethesda had to create a whole new set of horses (one for each color and armor), and thus in doing so, they broke all mods that give your horses other functions (like saddlebags and more detailed controlling fuctions).

And unless the mod makers who made the above mods purchase the Horse Armor (or acquire it otherwise, as stated above), we'll never see updated mods for those mods.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 07:16:42 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
I have no problem paying for things like this and downloaded the horse armor as soon as I had a chance.

How do you like it Arkon? I don't mind paying for mods but this one really doesn't interest me.

Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 07:18:47 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "Scoop20906"

From what I've read, all this 'mod' does it increase the number of HP your horse has, as there's no way to give a horse an armor value. Unfortunately, in order to do this, Bethesda had to create a whole new set of horses (one for each color and armor), and thus in doing so, they broke all mods that give your horses other functions (like saddlebags and more detailed controlling fuctions).

And unless the mod makers who made the above mods purchase the Horse Armor (or acquire it otherwise, as stated above), we'll never see updated mods for those mods.

Sounds like they borked this whole mod. NEXT!

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 07:26:24 PM »

Interview w/ Bethesda guy about the horse mod:
---------------------------------------------------------------------

bapenguin: It seems there's been quite a bit of backlash from the $2.50 horse armor skins. What's your take on it?

Pete Hines: Honestly there's not a lot of info out there for us to go on. We tried to find a spot for it that fit with what other things were out there. A Theme costs 150 points. The Kameo thing was 200. We're trying to find the right spot that fits. How much is something you can use in the game worth versus a gamer picture pack, or a theme, and so on.

bapenguin: Any chance that we'll see a change in the price structure because of this? Or has it been selling well enough at the current price point that you guys are happy?

Pete Hines: Will they all be priced the same? I don't know. We're not even a day into this right now. We've got a couple more we're working on finishing and testings and will release in the next couple of weeks. We want to put some different things out there and find out what folks want and what they don't want. These are optional things, not requirements, so if you don't want to get them you don't have to.

bapenguin: What about free mods on the 360? Will we be seeing any of the popular PC mods from the user community showing up on Live?

Pete Hines: Right now we don't have plans to do any free mods. We don't ever get involved with fan-created content, on any platform, so taking some of that and releasing it on Live is not something we'd ever do.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 07:41:29 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
bapenguin: What about free mods on the 360? Will we be seeing any of the popular PC mods from the user community showing up on Live?

Pete Hines: Right now we don't have plans to do any free mods. We don't ever get involved with fan-created content, on any platform, so taking some of that and releasing it on Live is not something we'd ever do.

Except that Bethseda released several free mods for Morrowind after the game was released.  Eh.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Elder Scrolls V wasn't even released on the PC so they can avoid user-made mods and have more of a market for their own to sell.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 08:46:57 PM »

I won't pick the horse mod up... but I am intrigued by the other two they are working on.  Mainly because it sounds like there is a quest, or quests, that go along with them.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 10:09:12 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "Dimmona"

Except that Bethseda released several free mods for Morrowind after the game was released.  Eh.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Elder Scrolls V wasn't even released on the PC so they can avoid user-made mods and have more of a market for their own to sell.

Were the mods you are talking about for the xbox? I never had the xbox version so I don't know.
If they were PC mods, remember, we are dealing with 2 different things now.
1) The 360 mods are on the marketplace and I betthey have to pay MS to do so.
2) Since they have to charge for the 360 mods, they are trying to be fair by charging the 360 and PC people.
If they were free xbox mods, then I guess they just changed their minds.

I still don't see what the problem is though.

The mods are optional.
The developers (for any game) are under no obligations to release free mods.
Not having a mod does not affect your current game.
On the PC side, you have the option of downloading free user created mods or making them yourself.

Personally, I don't plan on buy this particular mod. I may buy the future ones, but I haven't even finished the regular game yet, so extra content is not high on my list right now.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 10:31:54 PM »

I don't know if the mods for Morrowind were also released for the Xbox.  It just seems... I don't know... chintzy to have a history of releasing free content then turning around and charging a couple of bucks for horse armor.

I would have rather seen them release the horse armor for free.  Seriously how much development time would it have taken to create horse armor?  Once they'd released it for free then maybe charge for the more substantial stuff (extra quests, houses, etc.).
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 10:57:19 PM »

I can't see myself ever buying the horse armor as a stand-alone download.

Maybe if it was bundled into a mod 3-pack or something.  But then it'd depend on what else was in there, and of course, the price.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 12:07:18 AM »

Fuck Bethesda in the ass for these pathetic 'microtransactions.'  What a dickheaded company.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 12:11:00 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Fuck Bethesda in the ass for these pathetic 'microtransactions.'  What a dickheaded company.

I'm sure the thought would cross my mind if I owned a business. (to sell extra content, that is)  Hell its less than a Big Mac.

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 12:56:43 AM »

Quote from: "Jack Burton"
Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

I'm sure the thought would cross my mind if I owned a business. (to sell extra content, that is)  Hell its less than a Big Mac.
Sure, it crosses your mind.  Then you wake up and realize people aren't going to pay for it.

Mappacks?  Mini-expansions?  Cool by me.  Bioware's NWN modules are pretty much the bare minimum I would be comfortable paying for.  I'm kosher with the Euro Force Booster pack for BF2 too.

But paying for what amount to mods?  No freakin' way, man.  Nor am I going to throw even $2 at them for one more icon on the minimap with an half-hour associated quest -- not when the bargain bins are full of <$10 games that 1.) are excellent and 2.) provide anywhere from 30-100x hours of gameplay.

Looking at the poll results so far, you guys seem to agree.   biggrin

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 02:35:57 AM »

The mod has made Shadowmere much more durable for me.  I paid for it and don't feel ripped off in any way shape or form.  Obviously this mod isn't for everyone but I like the new look and new survivability.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 04:08:06 PM »

It ain't worth the money hands down.

I have no trouble say with EA releasing 3 new professionally done maps for BF2 and taking 10 bucks...that's at least content that has meaning.

If they want to release 10 dollar addons that give me more playtime- quests, new areas to explore, sure I am all for it.

Horse armor that doesn't even protect a horse, a mod that any serious modder with the tool kit can make easliy (except now they take them down) well, that is pretty lame.

I can't imagine that Bethesda is NOT surprised that people are pissed-not for the armor itself but what it represents and what it could possibly lead to.

5 NEW and PRETTY flowers for your garden...only 2 dollars each..oh and btw, it is now illegal for modders to make flower mods now.

Not good.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 04:23:12 PM »

The mod has made Shadowmere much more durable for me.  I paid for it and don't feel ripped off in any way shape or form.  Obviously this mod isn't for everyone but I like the new look and new survivability.

Isn't Shadowmere unkillable anyway? I thought s/he would just go unconscious like other important NPC's.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2006, 04:37:15 PM »

While I don't think it was a good idea to have the horse armor as the first mod, it certainly isn't a horrible idea.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2006, 05:14:46 PM »

I think it was a poorly-thought out choice to have something so insubstantial be the first download.

The first big misstep Bethesda has made with this game. frown

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2006, 05:15:30 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"

Isn't Shadowmere unkillable anyway? I thought s/he would just go unconscious like other important NPC's.

Nope, I have come out of a long dungeon dive to find shadowmere's corpse laying there.  And yes the mod does make the horse more durable.  This isn't just a visual upgrade from my experience.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2006, 06:03:43 PM »

Is there a way to just leave my horse in the stable?  Damned thing is always following me around when I fast travel.  Beyond running really fast it's more a burden than anything since I have go get off to fight.  I would have paid $2 for a mod to let me fight from horseback, but then we'd all be complaining that Bethesda gimped the game to sell it.  I'm sure we'd all pay for that though. :?

I've seen the new stuff on their website.  I hope those are more than just another random cave/tower in the middle of f'ing nowhere.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2006, 08:39:30 PM »

Nope, I have come out of a long dungeon dive to find shadowmere's corpse laying there.  And yes the mod does make the horse more durable.  This isn't just a visual upgrade from my experience.

Or you can just do like I did on my PC version and create a mod that makes all purchasable horses (and Shadowmere) unkillable. After I lost 2 horsies that way, I got tired of it and coded it in. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2006, 08:49:09 PM »

Or you can just do like I did on my PC version and create a mod that makes all purchasable horses (and Shadowmere) unkillable. After I lost 2 horsies that way, I got tired of it and coded it in. biggrin

Am I like the only person who games that lives with the consequences of their actions?  My horse died and I walked until I got a new one.  Your powers are weak, old man.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2006, 09:38:41 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"

Am I like the only person who games that lives with the consequences of their actions?  My horse died and I walked until I got a new one.  Your powers are weak, old man.

Well, I play games specifically because I don't have to live with the consequences of my actions. I get enough of that in the real world...
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2006, 10:12:00 PM »

Except I am playing the 360 version.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2006, 12:42:21 AM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"

My 'actions' were perfect. My horse was tucked away right next to the door, and there was absolutely nothing around me (a Helm of Life Detection at 105ft works wonders to make sure of this).

Yet, while I was in the dungeon, my horse was killed for reasons unknown. I could not do anything to prevent it. I couldn't do anything to stop it. It sucked.

Heck - I've come out of dungeons before with a respawned mob staring me in the face, yet for some reason or another it didn't engage my horse. I've also been deep within a dungeon, and I've gotten the notice that my horse has falled unconscious (as all 'game critical' NPCs will tell you this if it happens). There was nothing I could do to prevent or stop that.

That is why I made the mod. I lost my horses not because of my stupidity, but because of some game issue. If it was my own fault, I'd walk. No questions asked. But not this.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: