http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 12:57:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oblivion - Help?  (Read 744 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2007, 02:17:17 PM »

Okay, got a few questions about Oblivion. 

First up...is there an advantage/disadvantage to sleeping in game (other than to further a few speicific quests and to level up)?  I'm trying to keep my level low to make part of adventuring easier. 

Second...is there any way to increase the bound item time?  Or maybe a way for me to add 'bound mace' to a ring?  Thanks!

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 02:24:14 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on April 16, 2007, 02:17:17 PM

Okay, got a few questions about Oblivion. 

First up...is there an advantage/disadvantage to sleeping in game (other than to further a few speicific quests and to level up)?  I'm trying to keep my level low to make part of adventuring easier. 

Second...is there any way to increase the bound item time?  Or maybe a way for me to add 'bound mace' to a ring?  Thanks!

First-not that I know of-other than for quests its pretty much just to regain health/magick and to level up. I dont know why you are trying to cap your level though? to make the game feel harder?
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 02:29:14 PM »

Because everything else levels up in the world too.  I'm trying to keep it low until I have a handle on most of my skills and the basic guild quests out of the way.  I've done enough now that I should be level 4,5, or 6.  The way I play...thieves will be wearing daedric armor before long.  (And I've not even gone to Kvatch yet)

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 02:30:43 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on April 16, 2007, 02:29:14 PM

Because everything else levels up in the world too.  I'm trying to keep it low until I have a handle on most of my skills and the basic guild quests out of the way.  I've done enough now that I should be level 4,5, or 6.  The way I play...thieves will be wearing daedric armor before long.  (And I've not even gone to Kvatch yet)

Ohhh I see. The opposite of what I was thinking (no daedric armor till like level 25 or so!). I see. Well most of the quests that require sleep are fairly far in the game (unless you go for them immediately and know where they are) but keep in mind that I believe the game will force you to level up all your levels earned when you do sleep (check on this, I don't remember for sure)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 02:33:31 PM »

It's been so long since I've played that I forgot that you need to sleep in order to level up  icon_redface  I thought it seemed to be taking me a long time to level in my new game.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 04:25:13 PM »

Yeah it's been maybe 3 weeks or so since I played, and for me that is a lifetime, lol.  But I think I'm right in partially disagreeing on the whole keep-your-level-low thing.  It seemed to me that the game may ramp up to some degree, but it doesn't really keep up very well.  Maybe it does at the beginning, I don't remember, but once I started getting "stuff" and abilities, it seems to me that I could clear out a dungeon pretty much at will.  I'm not saying every enemy and every dungeon was a total cake-walk, but I maxed out my Sneak skills and garnered a few healing spells - and ranged weapons - and I'm afraid of no one anymore! Well, maybe the Oblivion Gate monsters, but you really don't have to tackle them very early.  icon_twisted

Good Luck!

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 04:40:24 PM »

just go to the pause menu and up the difficulty

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 06:19:13 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on April 16, 2007, 04:25:13 PM

Yeah it's been maybe 3 weeks or so since I played, and for me that is a lifetime, lol.  But I think I'm right in partially disagreeing on the whole keep-your-level-low thing.  It seemed to me that the game may ramp up to some degree, but it doesn't really keep up very well.  Maybe it does at the beginning, I don't remember, but once I started getting "stuff" and abilities, it seems to me that I could clear out a dungeon pretty much at will.  I'm not saying every enemy and every dungeon was a total cake-walk, but I maxed out my Sneak skills and garnered a few healing spells - and ranged weapons - and I'm afraid of no one anymore! Well, maybe the Oblivion Gate monsters, but you really don't have to tackle them very early.  icon_twisted

You make clearing dungeons seem so easy  crybaby I've been having a heck of a time getting through dungeons and Oblivion planes, I have to rest after each fight or I'll almost surely lose in the next encounter.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 06:34:48 PM »

I seriously paced myself and minimized levelling and I think I finished the game somewhere between level 7-10.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 07:28:49 PM »

When starting up Oblivion this time (I tried it before but lost interest somewhere during the fighters guild quests) I decided to go through the main storyline first and do the faction and side quests from there. I think I messed things up when I did the Allies for Bruma side quest (I though it was part of the main quest). I gained like 3 levels closing all those damn oblivion gates. Now, as it would appear, I am fucked because I have trouble with single enemy encounters. For a game that is so open-ended you sure don't have much control over the course of the game (I didn't exactly want to become a vampire either). Still, the world is beautiful enough to motivate me to at least complete the main storyline despite it's gaping design flaws.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 04:15:19 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 16, 2007, 06:19:13 PM

Quote from: mytocles on April 16, 2007, 04:25:13 PM

You make clearing dungeons seem so easy  crybaby I've been having a heck of a time getting through dungeons and Oblivion planes, I have to rest after each fight or I'll almost surely lose in the next encounter.

Oh no, lol, sorry! I'm what you call a "patient" gamer... I may not have even gone into an actual dungeon until I had my sneak skill up pretty well! There are so many ways to play this game - and I played Morrowind to death, which may have helped - that I probably found an "easy" one for my way of playing.

Also - thanks, Metal, I forgot all about this:
just go to the pause menu and up the difficulty

Remember, the game is for FUN, find the level that works for you... ie, turn down the difficulty if it's only frustrating you!  nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 10:54:34 AM »

Speaking of Oblivion, I am going to start a new game on the PC when I finally get my rig upgraded. I played maybe 15 hours on the PC before I got frustrated with my framerates and switched to the 360 (and promptly played the game 70 hours). I have the Knights of the Nine expansion stuff and hopefully I can get Shivering Isles soon. My plan is to create sort of an opposite of my first guy, light armor, light fast swords, much heavier magic. Probably skip most of the main and optional stuff except for easy things like the fighters guild and focus on the new quests. Kinda looking forward to doing it finally with everything maxed out smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: