http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 09:49:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oblivion Hands On  (Read 2991 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 14, 2005, 02:05:41 PM »

Its up on the front page via the big banner. smile  Questions?  Comments?  Suggestions?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 02:11:17 PM »

I'll ask what I asked in another thread:

are they going to change the way NPC conversation works in this game? One of my main gripes the TES games is the stupid hyperlink chat system with every character in a town basically having the same 30 keywords/responses with like 2-3 unique ones.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 02:23:22 PM »

Nope - not so at all.  In this case it is a little scroll list that you pick from.  There are over 1000 NPCs with unique dialog so I doubt you'll be hearing the same thing over and over.  When you select a dialog tree option it greys out if it might be relevant later and you've already heard it.  Otherwise, its just gone from the list and you move to the new dialog option list.  Its far less clunky than before.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 04:09:33 PM »

Ron, I've been hearing from other people that were at the event that the devs were saying it was 99% sure to make day 1 of the launch....did you hear anything like that?

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 04:30:56 PM »

I heard both ways on that.  Nobody said for sure.  Its why I said "Holidays".     I'm sure it is their objective, but I'm also sure that they won't hesitate to delay the game if it needs more time.  Its better to do it right the first time, yea?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 05:38:25 PM »

I'd imagine you didn't really get a good chance to experiment, but how much control did you feel you had over melee combat? Do humanoid opponents block and attack intelligently? Also, did you find the first or third person view to be more comfortable during a fight?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 05:55:50 PM »

I'd imagine you didn't really get a good chance to experiment, but how much control did you feel you had over melee combat? Do humanoid opponents block and attack intelligently?

Yep, they are smarter than before.  If they have spells, they try to stay back instead of charging you like a linebacker.  If they are stick and board they'll assault and block as well.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 05:56:56 PM »

Happen to sneak out any pictures of the other races in the game? Bethesda hasn't really shown off the races short of the Humans and their close kin.

I'm guessing you're playing as the Khajiit based on your description, so I'm curious as to how the race looks. Are they still the 'beastial' race that they were in Morrowind (the backward knee thing), or did Bethesda make things a bit easier on the mod authors and make them more Human like?

What about the Dark Elves? The Nords? See anything other than a dank, damp dungeon?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 07:57:33 PM »

Xbox360 forums

ELDER SCROLLS 4 OBLIVION

I also post at the Elder Scrolls forums, and those guys had a thousand questions for me, so I’d like to report that I got through about 1% of everything they requested, but this preview will probably be more thorough than the others. Let me start by saying this is the first game I tried to play after the initiation with the console. However, they only had two stations set up with this game, and I was too slow. But I eventually came back to it, and I got to spend about two hours with this game. I’m an Elder Scrolls virgin. This is my first ES game, but luckily there was a dev there (like a retard, I’ve forgotten his name), but he was really helpful and guided me along and answered many of my questions. Be warned, you’re about to read a few things that might upset you, but know that this is going to be THE best RPG to own for the 360. You can tell it’s shaping up nicely.

I asked the dev what version of the game this was. According to him, this was the same build from X05. In this version, the self-shadowing and such was turned off. However, he assured me that it was currently being worked on. Also, he’s 99% sure that Oblivion would be a Day One launch title, but of course, there’s still that 1%, and you never know. Graphically, as most of you have seen, the game looks very nice.

*Deep breath* Okay, here it comes. There are no spears in this game. There. Happy now? Does that mean you won’t buy it now? If that’s the case, you’re retarded. Here’s why. Firstly, you should have gotten your pals to use and like spears more to begin with. The dev said that from internal polls, they discovered that spears were one of the least utilized and liked weapons. Secondly, and more importantly, this game was a blast to play, and from the short time I was with it, I could tell that it’s going to be a deep, fulfilling experience. So if the lack of spears is going to prevent you from getting this, you probably weren’t seriously going to buy it anyway.

It all starts with the character creation. As most of you know, there are ten playable races (you can choose both male or female of any one). And before you ask, there’s no nudity. Both genders have little brown loin cloths, and the females have cloth covering the breasts as well. I didn’t play Morrowind, but I heard people thought the bodies were ugly. The Oblivion bodies looked fine to me. The characters weren’t perhaps the most detailed ever, but that’s understandable considering there’s so much going on in the game. It’s not like a sports game where there are only a couple characters, so they can be extremely detailed. Honestly, out of my approximate two hours with this game, at least an hour of it was just playing around with the character creation.

I already dropped the no-spears bomb on you, so before I get to all the good things, here’s another thing some might see as a negative. There are no modeled beards or facial hair in the game. Before you riot, yes, there is facial hair, but it comes in the form of facial hair shaders. In other words, your beard will appear as a darker spot on your face, that gives the appearance of hair. I was talking with my brother afterwards (he works for another game company), because I didn’t ask the dev specifically, and he imagines that fully modeling the beards most likely caused problems with their lip synching and mouth animations, so they probably chose to have the game serve a practical purpose instead of a cosmetic one. In my tests with this, the effect was sufficient on some of the fairer skinned folk, like an imperial. It created a light beard or 5 o’ clock shadow look. However, on the races where the skin was already colored or dark, like the orcs, the effect was less noticeable.

Enough negatives. One cool thing was the age slider. While the age slider doesn’t affect the gameplay mechanic (as in an older player won’t be able to swing a weapon as effectively as a younger one), it is a cool cosmetic effect. The two extremes are as follows: you can create someone that looks about as old as the Emperor, or as young as someone that I’d say was about 17-18 years old. It was hard to judge. Also, I played with age with the Argonian (snake-like, lizard man). At the oldest setting, the Argonian was almost completely red. However, as he got younger, there were more green highlights in the face. Contrary to popular rumor, age is the only factor that plays into Argonian color. In other words, your mood won’t change your skin color. Complexion can be adjusted just as much. With the imperial, I was able to adjust the skin color to where he was ghostly white. The other extreme left him indistinguishable from a Redguard. So if you liked the look of the Redguard, but liked the race perks of the Imperial, it’s cool to know it’s possible to come up with a happy medium.

While most of the character creation is sliders, you have to be careful. There are so many sliders (I’m not sure, but I’d guess at least 100, perhaps more) that messing up one can lead to drastic effects on the face that are really hard to fix without starting over, so be careful. Also, one part that isn’t controlled by sliders is the hair. There are about 10 or so set hairstyles to choose from (honestly, I didn’t check all the female hairstyles, but I’m sure they had their own set to choose from as well). Perhaps there are more as the game goes along, but I doubt this, although I can’t deny it. However, since you can’t change any other parts of your appearance throughout the game, I think that stands a good chance of being true. In the end, if you suck at all this slider stuff, once you choose one of the ten races, you can select “random” over and over, and within that race, it will keep changing it up until you see something you like. Quickly, while mentioning adjusting sliders, I’ll say that it seemed you could adjust the length of the Argonian snout by about 3-4 inches. The dev told me that they had to keep it at a certain length so the lip synch would still work. While playing with it I gave my Argonian a pretty prominent overbite, and it looked like someone whacked him in the nose with a shovel. Like I said, you really have to be patient with this game.

And that’s one reason why my preview of this game isn’t better. This is a game that takes your total concentration, and full attention. However, this is challenged when there’s music blaring, there’s people all around, and you can’t really pick up clues involved with sounds or vocal hints. The gameplay was good. It wasn’t boring. I was trying to check out a lot of the technical details. The Havok physics stuff seems like it plays a pretty big role in the game. I moved the chains and bones around, and shot the bucket with arrows, and like I’m sure everyone’s seen, when you remove the arrows, the bucket reacts to the change in physics. There’s also some cool physics related boobie traps and such. The dev said that while not every dungeon has a trap, the majority do. I was creeping around one dungeon, and I had the opportunity ( I missed it) to shoot a trip wire with an arrow, thereby setting off the trap, and killing the goblin so I didn’t have to deal with him.

Also, shooting arrows is heavily affected by gravity (physics). I remember shooting at a goblin, and my shot pretty much missed the mark. A better marksmen may have gotten a hit. However, all you marksmen (like me) can rejoice. The dev told me that in the build that they are working on, testing revealed that shooting arrows needed to be improved and balanced a little more, so they are currently making the marksmen skill a little more powerful and useful.

I played with the stealth mechanic a bit. Technically, there are no “instant stealth kills” in the game, a la Splinter Cell. However, (and I hope I explain this right), by using the stealth, you may raise your skill level high enough to where striking while in stealth would give you a bonus, so perhaps eventually you could get something like a stealth kill, if that makes sense. In stealth mode, and eye appears on the cross hairs. If it’s full, the enemy can see you. And moving slower helps you to be more stealthy. Also, lighter armor is better than heavier armor (or boots, specifically) for stealth. In one instance, I snuck up on a goblin, and was able to stand behind him and watch his idle animations for about 2-3 minutes (I was talking to the dev in this time) before he then suddenly turned and attacked me. And please put away your torch if you’re trying to be stealthy.

Ah, that reminds me. The game has pleasantly be streamlined a bit, and it more user friendly. So instead of having to go back and forth from equip/unequip screens constantly (although there is quite a bit of that. It is an RPG, after all), if you had your torch equipped, and you equipped you sword as your weapon, as long as you didn’t equip your shield, even when you armed your weapon, he would hold out the torch. Equipping the shield would, of course, remove the torch. Pressing and holding Y at the equip screen allows you to map things to directions on the D-pad, and that certainly comes in handy. And please, remember, if you equip your bow, it’s not much good if you forget to equip your arrows.

Birth signs are here again, and they offer specific bonuses, and for the life of me, I can’t really remember them. I think one was like, 60% more athletic for a certain time, or the ability to get better deals from people on a certain day or something. I remember thinking that they were a little more specific than I expected. I was thinking they’d be a little more general. However, it may have been like this on the last game as well.

Random thoughts: - Punching the Emperor seemed to upset the guards. However, I couldn’t really tell the extent of their anger, because a scripted fight broke out in which one was killed (and you get your first weapons). - The rats that were bounding up the slope in the video were doing it for a reason. They weren’t just running around like crazy like that for nothing. And it wasn’t “dumb AI,” as some have claimed. There was a zombie around the corner that just ate one of their friends, and they were fleeing. They didn’t even stop to attack me, and I just stood there to see if they would. Although upon playing through again, I was attacking the zombie, and one of the rats was confused who to attack; the zombie or I. - The word tree (or whatever you call that thing you choose your dialog from) had more than just one phrase every time, like in the video. However, it had only one or two choices a few times.

Combat: Seems fun to me. I guess it’s a personal preference, but I thought it was more than just a hack and slash or button mashing affair. In fact, I often waited for the enemy to attack so I could block the attack first (there’s a slight recoil there, so if gives you a little time to attack). I actually like blocking with the weapon instead of the shield, because the shield sort of blocked my view a bit. However, the shield blocking was more effective. Those damn giant rats were annoying though, because it was hard to gauge their attacks. Pushing a direction + the attack seems to do a different attack move, at least with the power attack move.

Now, as you can see I wrote a lot, but I honestly never got out of the first dungeon. I died the first time, and maybe even the second. I finally got the hang of it, and got towards the end, and was fighting an orc mage or something, and a stupid rat/goblin combo got me from the back. Then, I made it to the same point again, and I was better prepared, and the damn game froze (don’t be alarmed, this happened a few times on every game present except for Call of Duty 2. Remember, these games still have some bugs). However, I didn’t really get to see any of the Speedtree in action (what I was really looking forward to). However, I asked the dev for something specific about the Radiant AI that I could bring back for you all. Here’s the story.

It was written in the code that every day at 3 pm, Man 1 would rake leaves and Man 2 would sweep. This all seemed fine and dandy until the devs gave Man 1 the broom and Man 2 the rake. Man 1 ended up killing Man 2 so he could get his rake so he could do what he wanted. That’s pretty cool if you ask me.

If it seems like I avoided talking about magic, that’s partly right. I suck at using it, so I don’t really remember much about it. I wasn’t very good, so I did the things that I was more accustomed to doing. However, in the first dungeon, I did have a fire ball spell that I used on the orc mage (to little effect). And I have a healing spell too, that came in handy a bit. Like the weapons, spells can be mapped to the D-pad for easy access. And a side note for those that are so sure there won’t be a levitation/telekinesis spell in the game. Well, if it’s not in the game, the dev sure was singing its praises when it came to the Havok engine.

Anything I didn’t like? The frame rate still seemed to be an issue, but I’m confident that they’ll have that taken care of. Besides, I doubt Microsoft would allow them to release it otherwise. Also, there were a couple of transition animations that seemed missing, and the characters stuttered a bit, but that’s a minor thing.

I’m sure there are lots of other things people want to know, and there are things that I’m leaving off, so if I didn’t answer your question, feel free to ask. Just know that this is one of my “must have” Xbox 360 titles. It seems like it has the re-playability (all the different races/ joinable factions/ side quests) seem to make this a long game that you can enjoy for a long time. And for all those crying that this is no longer an RPG, rest assured, it’s very much a role-playing game that is heavily stat based. It just has an awesome action component now as well.

This was a post made on the XBox360 forums by someone who had sometime with the 360.  He has 2 massives post on the boards.  

If the link doesn't take you directly there you might need to use your MS passport ID to view the forums

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 08:49:03 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I heard both ways on that.  Nobody said for sure.  Its why I said "Holidays".     I'm sure it is their objective, but I'm also sure that they won't hesitate to delay the game if it needs more time.  Its better to do it right the first time, yea?

Ok, it's just that I saw things like this:

You are aware that "Holidays" could mean anytime between mid November through the end of December right? It could still be a day one launch. A dev told me at the NYC event when I was playing that the game is basically done and they are just waiting for Microsoft to give them certification. Once it passes (which he was sure it would) they would start manufacturing the game and it would be available the same day as the console. HIS words, not mine. Take it for what you will.

Edit:

I forgot to add, when he was talking about this, he said that as of now he was 99% sure that it would pass and be available on day 1 of launch. He said that barring any large unforseen bug they would have it ready for launch day.

So I was just wondering if you heard anything similar...

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 09:20:19 PM »

How are the animations and the frame rate?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 09:43:36 PM »

I'm curious about how some of the other races looked too, particularly orcs, argonians, and khajit.  I haven't found any screenshots of those races (other than the 1 magazine scan that is hard to see).  Do argonians and khajit shuffle around like they did in MW?

Also, do you remember if night eye for the khajit was "always on" or an ability with a timer?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 02:16:26 PM »

Here are some quotes I got from one of the devs over on RPG Codex that deal with a bunch of issues:

Here is some stuff that one of the devs said over at the RPG Codex forum about RAI and other things recently:

Actually the auto reload thing is gone. NPCs marked as essential (a status which can and does change) now go "unconscious" for a period of time, then get back up again. Like many things in the game, it's something we've gone through several iterations of implementation, play testing & feedback, and re-implementation. We've changed lots & lots of things about the game -- some just tweaks, some complete overhauls -- based on playtesting feeback, to make sure the game is as balanced and fun as possible.

The paralysis skill perk isn't really specifically a "neck strike". If you reach Master (100) in a combat skill, you can do a particular power attack that has a CHANCE of temporarily paralyzing your opponent. Yes, it's a die roll. There are a lot of those in the game, believe it or not.  

Yeah, there are a lot of stats that are kept track of. Some of them, but not all of them, go into disposition. Two that do are your current bounty, of course, just like in Morrowind, and a new one called Infamy. Infamy goes up every time you commit a crime, but never goes back down again. It's used in conjunction with an NPC's Responsibility (among many other factors) to calculate disposition. A responsible shopkeeper may not be as willing to haggle with someone of high infamy. I believe I have already talked about this.

Six to eight -- we do have battle sequences with more characters than that. Most encounters you have will be with fewer, some will have more. If you actually read the entirety quoted passage there, you'll see Pete mention the word "average" twice.

I have already explained that an NPC who already HAS a weapon will not attempt to acquire a BETTER weapon. They'll only go get one if they are unarmed and there's a weapon nearby with which they'd do better than hand to hand or magic. You guys assume that when one anecdote is mentioned about RAI, that EVERYTHING is that way. Don't, because that's simply not the case. The only thing that EVERYTHING depends on is the particular situation at hand -- the NPC's equipment, skills & stats, what if anything is nearby, etc. If an NPC or creature decides to flee, that's just what they'll do. It all depends on the situation & stats.

Talking about horses not being able to go into cities:

There are stables outside every walled city where horses are boarded while their owners are in the city. There are a number of settlements that aren't walled in that you can ride your horse through if you really want to. Horses also won't go inside buildings or dungeons; you have to dismount & leave your horse outside while you go into those. But other than that, you can ride your horse anywhere you want to, on roads or off, even through the water.

and

Mostly because if they could go through load doors, they could go into spaces that were too small for them to fit (like houses). The gates to the walled cities are load doors.

We could have the cities be open like most of them were in Morrowind, and there are settlements that have no walls -- but this way we're not loading up an entire city's worth of art, NPCs and activity if you're just passing by. We just load up simplified versions of the architecture inside so that you can see the buildings if you're on a mountain overlooking a city.

and

You could do that, Proweler, and then whenever you were close to a city, everything associated with the city would load and slow the game down -- even if you had no intention of entering the city itself. But be my guest.

You can't fly, climb or jump over the city walls, Ghanburighan, so that's not an issue, but you can see landscape and such that's outside the walls if the terrain is high enough outside or if you can get up to a high enough elevation inside the city.

If you really want horses in the cities, mod it in. We decided to have stables outside and not allow them in. I honestly don't see why this is such a bone of contention, unless it's just complaining for the sake of complaining. If you want a lore explanation, maybe there's a directive from the offices of his Imperial Majesty saying that in order to foster a more civilized Cyrodiil, horses and other beasts are banned from the confines of the cities.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 06:26:51 PM »

What can I say? Unbelievable!  If this game comes out on the 22nd, finished and smooth - just say goodbye to me now!

I liked spears, in that I always had one with me for special purposes - but I can certainly live without them.  My favorite spear was one I found in the blacksmith's house in - well, nevermind where, in case someone is playing it now.  It was a soul-trap spear and worked so well that I carried it nearly all the time (in my humongous inventory) and through most of the game.  I enchanted another one to do the same thing, but kept that for specific soul-trapping in my Enchanting room, lol.  Tongue

And the fact that essential characters don't die anymore and force a reload - another nice touch, one of many.  One of the best changes is the ability to use magic while carrying weapons - pure heaven!  

Here's the best point:  there are too many good points to keep track of!  :twisted:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2005, 06:20:53 AM »

I'm curious about how some of the other races looked too, particularly orcs, argonians, and khajit. I haven't found any screenshots of those races (other than the 1 magazine scan that is hard to see). Do argonians and khajit shuffle around like they did in MW?
Roguetad - check Hetz's post about the 27 new screenshots.  There are at least two pics of NPC Argonians - and they're rather ugly, IMO.  One almost looked like he had a mummified lizard head!

Ron - any idea if the journal can be edited?  I hated plowing through so many back pages to find the one thing I didn't finish, when deleting old stuff would have helped enormously.  Or, is there at least a better search or index feature?

And thanks for a great Preview, and the Interview section, too.  We addicts just can't get enough info - even though every bit hurts, since it heightens the agony of anticipation!  confused

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2005, 07:32:52 PM »

Quote from: "tru1cy"
However, I asked the dev for something specific about the Radiant AI that I could bring back for you all. Here’s the story.

It was written in the code that every day at 3 pm, Man 1 would rake leaves and Man 2 would sweep. This all seemed fine and dandy until the devs gave Man 1 the broom and Man 2 the rake. Man 1 ended up killing Man 2 so he could get his rake so he could do what he wanted. That’s pretty cool if you ask me.

biggrin

I don't know about you, but that's really cool. Just imagine if there were two people, both of who were designed to rake leaves, but there was only one rake. Set both people to never die (be declared 'vital' PCs, told about farther below this quote), and watch the fun happen.

I may have to do just that when I get my hands on this game...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2005, 07:55:36 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
However, I asked the dev for something specific about the Radiant AI that I could bring back for you all. Here’s the story.

biggrin

I don't know about you, but that's really cool. Just imagine if there were two people, both of who were designed to rake leaves, but there was only one rake. Set both people to never die (be declared 'vital' PCs, told about farther below this quote), and watch the fun happen.

I think its pretty awesome too, actually. It's very...real in a way. People are just crazy smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2005, 08:11:59 PM »

Questions?  Comments?  Suggestions?

You actually played Oblivion....  :shock:

Can we worship you from afar, master?

Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2005, 09:04:13 PM »

Good one, CeeKay!  Let's do it from here, though!

All Hail, Lord Hortator, KD!  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2005, 09:30:46 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Quote from: "Destructor"

biggrin

I think its pretty awesome too, actually. It's very...real in a way. People are just crazy smile

There was a guy in my city who killed someone over a lawnmower. So yes, it is very real. People do that stuff to eachother all the time.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2005, 12:31:43 AM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
There was a guy in my city who killed someone over a lawnmower. So yes, it is very real. People do that stuff to eachother all the time.

Was it at least a riding lawn mower?  I can't imagine feeling the need to take someone out for a push mower.  Those mowers you stand on look sweet, maybe it was one of those.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2005, 01:26:14 AM »

Was his name Jobe, by any chance...?

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2005, 01:56:48 AM »

Question:  What about mod support for the 360?  Yes?  No?
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2005, 02:01:33 AM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"

How?

They have said there will be downloads available, but those would be offical and available via the Marketplace.  I seriously doubt there would be any support or ability for the community to make mods available on the 360 version.  It would be possible for Bethesda to make the best ones available but doubt they would even consider it for a multitude of reasons.  That said, I think the code was there in the Xbox version of Morrowind if you had a modded Xbox.  Don't know if this was confirmed or if anybody tried to do anything with it, though.

If you want mods I would look to the PC version.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2005, 01:42:14 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

Ok, it's just that I saw things like this:

You are aware that "Holidays" could mean anytime between mid November through the end of December right? It could still be a day one launch. A dev told me at the NYC event when I was playing that the game is basically done and they are just waiting for Microsoft to give them certification. Once it passes (which he was sure it would) they would start manufacturing the game and it would be available the same day as the console. HIS words, not mine. Take it for what you will.

Edit:

I forgot to add, when he was talking about this, he said that as of now he was 99% sure that it would pass and be available on day 1 of launch. He said that barring any large unforseen bug they would have it ready for launch day.

So I was just wondering if you heard anything similar...

Sorry for the late responses - finals this week.

I've heard the official word of 'holiday' yes.  Are they shooting for day 1? yes.  Will they delay it if it isn't ready for day 1? Yes.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2005, 01:43:35 PM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
How are the animations and the frame rate?

The framerate was pretty rock solid, the animations were still a work in progress since this build was almost a month old.  Hard to judge based on that old of work while they are in crunch mode.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2005, 01:44:41 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
I'm curious about how some of the other races looked too, particularly orcs, argonians, and khajit.  I haven't found any screenshots of those races (other than the 1 magazine scan that is hard to see).  Do argonians and khajit shuffle around like they did in MW?

Also, do you remember if night eye for the khajit was "always on" or an ability with a timer?

The races looked pretty cool.  The fur and skin textures are all normal mapped and look great.  The Argonians look truly lizard-like instead of human with green skin.  Same with the Orc.  

As for the Khajit, the ability is on a timer.  Doesn't cost you anything to cast though iirc.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2005, 01:46:08 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
I'm curious about how some of the other races looked too, particularly orcs, argonians, and khajit. I haven't found any screenshots of those races (other than the 1 magazine scan that is hard to see). Do argonians and khajit shuffle around like they did in MW?
Roguetad - check Hetz's post about the 27 new screenshots.  There are at least two pics of NPC Argonians - and they're rather ugly, IMO.  One almost looked like he had a mummified lizard head!

Ron - any idea if the journal can be edited?  I hated plowing through so many back pages to find the one thing I didn't finish, when deleting old stuff would have helped enormously.  Or, is there at least a better search or index feature?

And thanks for a great Preview, and the Interview section, too.  We addicts just can't get enough info - even though every bit hurts, since it heightens the agony of anticipation!  confused

Sorry Myto, didn't get to see if you could edit the journal. :/  If not, I'm sure somebody will mod it in.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2005, 01:46:52 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"

Good one, CeeKay!  Let's do it from here, though!

All Hail, Lord Hortator, KD!  Tongue

Ha!  You guys are the best.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2005, 01:48:19 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "Zarkon"

How?

They have said there will be downloads available, but those would be offical and available via the Marketplace.  I seriously doubt there would be any support or ability for the community to make mods available on the 360 version.  It would be possible for Bethesda to make the best ones available but doubt they would even consider it for a multitude of reasons.  That said, I think the code was there in the Xbox version of Morrowind if you had a modded Xbox.  Don't know if this was confirmed or if anybody tried to do anything with it, though.

If you want mods I would look to the PC version.

I completely spaced asking this question, sorry about that.  I can't find a yea or nay but what stiffler has said makes sense.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Nakor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2005, 10:02:40 PM »

How is advancement handled? Similiar to Morrowind? I never did like the "multipler" system.

See my list of games I have and want.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2005, 11:10:28 PM »

You use the skill and you get better at it. Pretty simple.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: