http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 04:29:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oblivion - GOLD - Ships 3/20!!  (Read 23787 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2006, 09:50:49 PM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Quote from: "Sarkus"
Keep in mind the test PC provided for these previews was a 3.4 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, X1900/512Mb based system.

I thought Punisher as it was only 3 Ghz, not too much of a difference.  I'm already planning on adding another gig of ram to my rig anyways so I should be good.

Yeah, it was a 3.4Ghz with a X1900 according to all the other sites.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Rivercat
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 25, 2006, 09:52:16 PM »

Quote from: "Punisher"
Also, if anyone has any specific questions about the game, I'll see what I can do to answer them.

How about when you said this?
Something that would be nice to have, since I am sure a lot of people start over to try other characters, is to have some way of skipping the opening story/tutorial dungeon. I can see it getting tiring after a while.

I brought up that same concern on their forums and the answer everyone shot back was to just save the game right before you exit the initial dungeon before you "confirm" all your choices.  Load it back up at that point and you can recreate your character as many different ways as you want without having to start from scratch.

Can you not do this afterall?
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 25, 2006, 11:01:22 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Quote from: "CeeKay"
Quote from: "Sarkus"
Keep in mind the test PC provided for these previews was a 3.4 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, X1900/512Mb based system.

I thought Punisher as it was only 3 Ghz, not too much of a difference.  I'm already planning on adding another gig of ram to my rig anyways so I should be good.

Yeah, it was a 3.4Ghz with a X1900 according to all the other sites.

Yeah, it was a typo I missed, sorry. It was a 3.4
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 25, 2006, 11:04:55 PM »

Quote from: "Rivercat"
Also, if anyone has any specific questions about the game, I'll see what I can do to answer them.

How about when you said this?
Something that would be nice to have, since I am sure a lot of people start over to try other characters, is to have some way of skipping the opening story/tutorial dungeon. I can see it getting tiring after a while.

I brought up that same concern on their forums and the answer everyone shot back was to just save the game right before you exit the initial dungeon before you "confirm" all your choices.  Load it back up at that point and you can recreate your character as many different ways as you want without having to start from scratch.

Now that I think about it, it should be. Right before you exit, it does ask you if you are sure about your character, so, yeah that should work, but I didn't actually try it.
I still think it would be better to have a skip part, right from the new game option, but it might not be feasible, since  the tutorial is part of the main quest. (I suppose they could just give you the stuff you need though).

The problem with the load/save thing is that you would have to remember to do it before leaving, and I don't rememember if you could name your saves or not. (something like"End of Tutorial save")
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 27, 2006, 04:51:30 PM »

Quote from: "Rivercat"

Yeah, that works.
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 01, 2006, 03:59:32 PM »

The Internet is on fire! Won't someone please save the Internet?

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: March 01, 2006, 04:53:34 PM »

Quote from: "adamsappel"
The Internet is on fire! Won't someone please save the Internet?

Uh....what is he trying to say?  I have no clue what he is referencing with the 'six vs. sixteen' comment or anything else.  Makes my brain hurt.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: March 01, 2006, 05:00:24 PM »

He wrote a blog after the press event pointing out simply what he liked and didn't like.  He didn't like the graphical popup and the 'loading'.  He got flamed over it on the Oblivion forums, partly because he erronously wrote that the world was 6 square miles, not 16.  He corrected that. biggrin
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 02, 2006, 06:39:55 PM »

pssssstttt.... it's gold!  ninja

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 02, 2006, 06:47:07 PM »

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=249750

Bethesda Softworks and 2K Games Announce The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion to Ship March 20

Quintessential RPG for the Next Generation Coming to Xbox 360 and PC

Rockville, MD – March 2, 2006 – Bethesda Softworks® and 2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced that the highly-anticipated role-playing game, The Elder Scrolls® IV: Oblivion™, has gone to gold master and will be available in stores in North America and Europe during the week of March 20. Oblivion will be available for Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PC in both regular and collector’s editions.

“Our most ambitious project ever is finally done,” said Todd Howard, executive producer of Oblivion. “We’re excited to get the game into everyone’s hands and let them experience it for themselves. We hope they enjoy it. I think it’s our best game yet.”

Oblivion is an epic, open-ended single-player RPG for the next generation providing gamers with one of the most life-like gaming experiences to date. The powerful combination of unprecedented graphics and freeform gameplay allows gamers to unravel the main quest or explore the vast world at their own pace. Oblivion is the fourth chapter in the award-winning Elder Scrolls series that includes Morrowind® (2002 RPG of the year – Computer Gaming World), Daggerfall™ (1996 RPG of the year -- PC Gamer), and Arena (1994 RPG of the year – Computer Player).

“Oblivion will set the new standard for next generation gaming and change the way role-playing games are viewed forever,” said Vlatko Andonov, president of Bethesda Softworks. “We set very high goals and ensure they are reached because that is what our fans deserve and have come to expect from Bethesda Softworks. We are very proud of our team’s accomplishments with respect to Oblivion.”

Oblivion has already garnered numerous awards and an impressive collection of accolades, including being voted “RPG of Show” in 2005 by the Best of E3 Game Critics Awards. Oblivion ranks as one of the “Most Anticipated Games of 2006” according to PC Gamer, GameSpy, IGN, and Yahoo Games among many others, and has been featured on nearly thirty magazine covers worldwide.

“Oblivion is one of the most anticipated video games of 2006 and its release will be a milestone for the Xbox 360 and PC,” said Christoph Hartmann, Managing Director, 2K Games. “A shining example of next-generation role-playing, Oblivion breaks new ground in the genre with unparalleled graphics, revolutionary gameplay and an expansive RPG world.”

Oblivion for Xbox 360 and PC, co-published by 2K Games and Bethesda Softworks, has been rated “T” for Teen by the ESRB. For more information on the title visit the official web site at www.elderscrolls.com

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 02, 2006, 10:50:27 PM »

Now that it's gold, I don't want it anymore. slywink
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 02, 2006, 10:57:04 PM »

Now that it's gold, I don't want it anymore. slywink
LOL
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 16, 2006, 07:36:06 PM »

Anyone know if mercenaries (NPCs you can hire to accompany you into combat) are in or not?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: March 16, 2006, 08:20:34 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Anyone know if mercenaries (NPCs you can hire to accompany you into combat) are in or not?

To the best of my knowledge, no, there aren't any mercs to hire in the game. I could be wrong, but this is meant to be a solo game (short of some summons) all the way through.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 17, 2006, 06:01:00 PM »

I want this game. Give it to me.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 17, 2006, 06:05:08 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"

No, they are not in. There are some people that will accompany you though for certain quests.

I am certain one of the first mods for the game will be a mod that adds them in though. smile

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: March 17, 2006, 08:20:22 PM »

I don't know about you, but I want to see if it's possible to give the player a permanent party.

I have some interesting ideas to do this in context of the game to make having a party be more story based than just mooks to send to the slaughter.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2006, 12:16:49 AM »

Got this info from Qt3.

Impressions on preformance of the PC version, from game reviewers that have the game already.

4800+ dual-core and x1900xt? *Braces for more 'you fucking fucker!' shouts* FRAPS says 60fps just about everywhere save for really super-heavily forested areas, at which point it's never dropped below 30. A fellow ed says its runs super-smooth on his 7800GT, and only started to chop when he took it home to try on a 9800.

AMD dual-core owners, get yer drivers and SP2 hotfixes installed (for dual-core). Hadn't bothered, but when I did, frame rate jacked up double-digits. Definitely a game that's going to put paid to dual-core on PC.

Desslock pointed out elsewhere, if you sync Morrowind to what was then average hardware and correlate that to Oblivion now, Oblivion performs notably better. So relatively speaking, bang for buck is better in 2006 than it was in 2001.

AA and bloom are off, HDR's on, vsync enabled, distant rendering maxed...essentially everything set to max defaults (auto-detect, which reports 'ultra-high-quality'). In the game, it still sets item and people distance rendering fairly low. I left item rendering alone, since I don't care if I can see a sword on a table from a half mile off (couldn't anyway), and set people rendering to max with zero percent impact on frame rate. The upside = you can spot creatures/guards/whatever poking around several hills over. Think Weathertop-to-East-Road kind of scan distance.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2006, 01:30:25 AM »

*drools*

Too bad my store is lazy and will only sell the game starting Tuesday.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2006, 05:29:11 AM »

4800+ dual-core and x1900xt? *Braces for more 'you fucking fucker!' shouts* FRAPS says 60fps just about everywhere save for really super-heavily forested areas, at which point it's never dropped below 30. A fellow ed says its runs super-smooth on his 7800GT, and only started to chop when he took it home to try on a 9800.

AMD dual-core owners, get yer drivers and SP2 hotfixes installed (for dual-core). Hadn't bothered, but when I did, frame rate jacked up double-digits. Definitely a game that's going to put paid to dual-core on PC.

I just upgraded to a dual core 4400 and a 7800 GTX for this.  Sounds like I'll be doing pretty well.    

Anyone else here take release day off work? biggrin
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: March 18, 2006, 05:41:59 AM »

I have Sunday -> Thursday off.   smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: March 18, 2006, 05:45:05 AM »

Quote from: "Ragnarok"

Methinks I'll be sick on Tuesday. How do I convince the boss that I have the 24 hour flu though...

It makes things difficult when you work in a pharmacy, and when you're never sick.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 18, 2006, 06:50:07 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Methinks I'll be sick on Tuesday. How do I convince the boss that I have the 24 hour flu though...

It makes things difficult when you work in a pharmacy, and when you're never sick.

I would think since you work in a pharmacy that you have no excuse to ever be sick since you're surrounded by drugs all day. Just have someone else call in and tell them you were killed in a car wreck. Admittedly, you'd have to find a different gig somewhere but at least you'd have the time off. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 18, 2006, 11:31:17 AM »

Ahhh Oblivionitis. I'm feeling it coming on too. Kind of a scratchy throat.  :lol:

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: March 18, 2006, 11:51:40 AM »

You have a great excuse!  Nobody goes to the pharmacy because they are well - you are around sickies all the time...they got you infected.  Oblivionitis as Flying Elvis mentioned.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 18, 2006, 12:15:40 PM »

I just upgraded to a dual core 4400 and a 7800 GTX for this.  Sounds like I'll be doing pretty well.    

I took off the whole week!  biggrin

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: March 18, 2006, 01:16:48 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
You have a great excuse!  Nobody goes to the pharmacy because they are well - you are around sickies all the time...they got you infected.  Oblivionitis as Flying Elvis mentioned.

The annoying part is that because I'm around sick people more often than not, my immune system has built up to amazing levels, and as thus I get sick like once a year if even.

I just hope my boss isn't reading this right now. biggrin

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 18, 2006, 01:41:31 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

The annoying part is that because I'm around sick people more often than not, my immune system has built up to amazing levels, and as thus I get sick like once a year if even.

I just hope my boss isn't reading this right now. biggrin

Just make it a mental sick day then.  smile  No, seriously, they call sick days "wellness days" at my workplace, because in theory you're supposed to be able to take one just because you need it (say, even if you're just stressed out to the max and need time to chill for a day).  In practice, if they find out you missed for any reason other than illness, they get pissed off though.

I love corporate hypocrisy.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 18, 2006, 05:58:33 PM »

For those interested, there are pics of the paint quest I mentioned on pg 243 of the strategy guide. They don't, however, have quite the impact as seeing them in person.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 18, 2006, 06:03:00 PM »

I think I may go by Best Buy today and see if I can convince someone to get me the game from the back. Wish me luck!

P.S. If you don't hear back from me, tell my family that Kathode got me.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 18, 2006, 06:09:19 PM »

Is there a difference in the media between the CE and the regular?  Are they both one DVD or is the PC like 6-8 CD's?
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 18, 2006, 06:38:01 PM »

You know what sucks?

I won't see it until at least a week from Monday because I live in England.  It'll take at least that long for it to arrive in the mail.  Do you have any inkling how hard it'll be listening to you all rave about the game???  *sigh*   :cry:
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 18, 2006, 06:38:35 PM »

Another update on performance from the guy at Quarter to 3:

Nah, you'll be fine with just one. ATI hasn't released updated drivers, so Oblivion doesn't support Crossfire at the moment (it actually runs slower if you turn on Crossfire), and I'm presently running it at 1680x1050 with one card and getting those rates.

That is the resolution I play at! smile

Things are looking good....

Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 18, 2006, 06:44:20 PM »

Gah, you guys are going to make me go out and find this on release day even though I won't have time to get into it until the weekend, aren't you?

Question if anyone knows: I'd like to get the CE (PC version).  If I don't get a CE right away on release, am I going to be out of luck or will there be more available later in another run?

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 18, 2006, 06:51:01 PM »

Lots of new screenshots and movies up, showing differences in High Quality vs Normal Quality!

(site is getting hammered right now)

http://www.justgamers.de/?page=news&news_id=42240

The machine they are playing on:

Windows XP Pro
• AMD Athlon XP 2200+
• 1024 MB DDR RAM
• ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128 MB

no AA
no HDR
no gras shadows
no shadow details
no face shadows

they say its playable

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 18, 2006, 06:52:29 PM »

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: March 18, 2006, 06:57:29 PM »

Would love to know what Framerate they're getting.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 18, 2006, 06:58:10 PM »

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 18, 2006, 06:59:18 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
Would love to know what Framerate they're getting.

Yeah, me too. They don't mention a framerate though, just that it is 'playable'.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: March 18, 2006, 07:00:03 PM »

that's what FRAPS is for biggrin
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: