http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 10:13:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oblivion for the PS3 and PSP  (Read 3285 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2006, 01:55:37 AM »

details

Modojo has received word that video game developer Bethesda will be releasing a version of its recent Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion RPG title on Sony's next generation console, the PlayStation 3. Not necessarily a surprising move, however the porting doesn't appear to stop there as a PSP version is apparently also in development.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 01:57:32 AM »

I sure would like kathode to comment on this.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 02:45:37 AM »

Yea, this sounds like BS to me.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 03:17:22 AM »

Quote from: "Graham"
I sure would like kathode to comment on this.

The source is a release list from Bethesda that was supposedly circulated.  There's a huge thread over at GAF about this.  Last I checked (earlier this evening) the Bethesda guys that frequent GAF wouldn't comment on it at all.

My guess- it's true but no one from Bethesda will be allowed to confirm it until the sceduled time (likely E3).
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 03:23:40 AM »

Microsoft f!cked up again.  Instead of buying Lionhead studios they should have wrapped up an Elder Scrolls license. Oblivion could have been exclusive and Bethesda could probably get one more in the series out during the xbox 360 generation.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 03:28:33 AM »

Quote from: "Dante Rising"
Microsoft f!cked up again.  Instead of buying Lionhead studios they should have wrapped up an Elder Scrolls license. Oblivion could have been exclusive and Bethesda could probably get one more in the series out during the xbox 360 generation.

Lionhead just did a pretty large round of layoffs recently IIRC so they weren't in the best of financial shape and were clearly a good buyout target.  Bethesda, on the other hand, seems to be doing quite well and is only expanding with the acquisition of the Star Trek and Fallout licenses.  I'm not sure they really could have been acquired.  

And I'm pretty sure that Bethesda has gone on record as hoping to have another Elder Scrolls game out before the end of the generation regardless.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 04:04:20 AM »

The PS3 I can see but the PSP?  Imagine the loading times...
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 04:37:21 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
The PS3 I can see but the PSP?  Imagine the loading times...

Maybe they'll turn it into a turn based card battle game :-)

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 04:56:03 AM »

The real question is this:

Will Hetz buy the PS3 and PSP versions of the game as well, if the rumors are true?   :twisted:

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 05:30:22 AM »

will it be a launch game for the ps3?,i cant see it....so if it did appear it would be at least..a year from now i would imagine,

so they would have to put in a few extras to make it worth buying(proberbly all the extras that we have paid seperate for)...that is if you had the pc/360 version anyway

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 05:39:56 AM »

I'll give it weight when I see the info coming from somewhere besides GAF.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 10:29:41 AM »

Quote from: "metallicorphan"
will it be a launch game for the ps3?,i cant see it....so if it did appear it would be at least..a year from now i would imagine,

It is indeed supposedly a launch title.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 01:54:05 PM »

Apparently this is not true.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=64103

Bethesda Softworks says it has no plans to do PSP and PS3 versions of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, despite what some-bloke-on-a-forum said. (Yep.)

"At present we have no announced plans to bring Oblivion to any platforms other than PC or Xbox 360," is the official line issued yesterday.

That's after a chap called "snatches" on the Gaming Age Forums claimed they were - and that the games were due out this November. Apparently the source was a "release list from Bethesda".
Advertisement

Since then, he's responded to news of Bethesda's cold water by saying "if this news isn't true it's because some sales idiot at Bethesda sent out incorrect info".

So there you go.

That's what we get when we trust a guy named snatches for news.

Of course if they were going to do this it would make sense to hold off on the announcement until after sales for Oblivion on the PC and 360 have started to drop off.

/removes conspiracy hat
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 02:32:03 PM »

Blatantly stolen from what I posted on QT3:

Er, not quite:

Key point in that quote is "announced".

Why not just say "no plans" if that's what you really mean. Every bit of correspondence I've seen from Bethesda on the issue is always careful to make sure "announced" is in there. If this rumor is true, expect the "announcement" to be at E3.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 02:37:33 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Blatantly stolen from what I posted on QT3:

Er, not quite:

Key point in that quote is "announced".

Why not just say "no plans" if that's what you really mean. Every bit of correspondence I've seen from Bethesda on the issue is always careful to make sure "announced" is in there. If this rumor is true, expect the "announcement" to be at E3.

Hence the "conspiracy hat"   biggrin

The only thing that makes this sound false to me is the PSP port.  It would have to be such a different version that I can't see calling it "Oblivion" anymore.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 02:47:16 PM »

Hence the "conspiracy hat"   biggrin

The only thing that makes this sound false to me is the PSP port.  It would have to be such a different version that I can't see calling it "Oblivion" anymore.

Ah.  I guess what I was taking issue with is that Bethesda has not officially denied the rumor.  But, yeah, it's definitely just a rumor, not fact.

I'm not really sure why people are held up on the PSP thing- handhelds have been getting radically different games as their console counterparts with the same names for a long time and Bethesda has already made an Oblivion game for cell phones and wasn't there a Morrowind game for N-Gage or something?  I'm sure it won't be anything like a straight port but that doesn't preclude something a bit different with the Obilivion name still on it.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 02:56:44 PM »

It would be PERFECT for DS.

You could tap on your enemy in battle! That would make all the difference in the world and it wouldn't be called a port!!

:wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 03:00:57 PM »

"At present we have no announced plans to bring Oblivion to any platforms other than PC or Xbox 360," is the official line issued yesterday.

Quite a nice way to dance around the issue without stating if they're working on the ports or not. I'm with anyone that's said that though it's only rumour that the ports are in development, it doesn't really seem as if the devs have really denied the PS3 (and PSP?) versions.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 03:26:20 PM »

Kevin Grey wrote:

Lionhead just did a pretty large round of layoffs recently IIRC so they weren't in the best of financial shape and were clearly a good buyout target. Bethesda, on the other hand, seems to be doing quite well and is only expanding with the acquisition of the Star Trek and Fallout licenses. I'm not sure they really could have been acquired.

And I'm pretty sure that Bethesda has gone on record as hoping to have another Elder Scrolls game out before the end of the generation regardless.

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't think they should acquire Bethesda, but rather tie up exclusive rights to Elder Scrolls.  If its true that Sony and MS are going to have hardware that is very similar in performance,  then exclusives become the main weapons of the generation. Elder Scrolls would have been a nice lock.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 03:32:35 PM »

Bethesda has already made an Oblivion game for cell phones and wasn't there a Morrowind game for N-Gage or something?  I'm sure it won't be anything like a straight port but that doesn't preclude something a bit different with the Obilivion name still on it.

I don't think the cell phone game was called Morrowind.  I want to say Daystar or something?

I wouldn't have a problem with a PSP or even cell phone game with the Elder Scrolls name attached.  Calling it Oblivion just seems to raise expectations unnecessarily.

If they truly are developing a PS3 version it would make sense in some ways to not announce it now.  The 360 version is still selling strong and an announcement for the PS3 could only hurt sales of the 360 version.

If all PS3's come standard with a hard drive as Sony's been saying then it will be very interesting to see how different the game turns out.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 03:36:52 PM »

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't think they should acquire Bethesda, but rather tie up exclusive rights to Elder Scrolls.  If its true that Sony and MS are going to have hardware that is very similar in performance,  then exclusives become the main weapons of the generation. Elder Scrolls would have been a nice lock.

Ah, got you now.  When you referenced buying Lionhead I thought you meant they should have bought Bethesda instead.

Still, it might not have been an option (or at least a lucrative one).  It is of course in every console manufacturer's best interests to sign exclusives but as the market grows it's becoming more and more in each dev's best interest to go multiplatform.  So to buy Elder Scrolls exlusivity MS would have to pay Bethesda more than they stood to make from a PS3 release which could be a pretty huge sum of money.

Personally, I'm all for ]i]more[/i] exclusives.  I'll buy all three consoles anyway and, in general, I find that exclusives tend to really harness the power of the console much better.  Most of my favorite titles of last gen were console exclusives with a few notable exceptions like Prince of Persia.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 04:02:17 PM »

Quote from: "metallicorphan"

It is indeed supposedly a launch title.

and the launch date(apparently) is this november...just over 6 months from now...and sony still havent sorted out their blu-ray problems(again,apparently)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2006, 04:21:17 PM »

I don't know if this would be that big of deal considering the length Bethesda has between releases. They only had one title for the XBox, so this could be the only big release for them in the Elder scrolls world for awhile, where as with something like Rockstar and GTA they pumped out 3 big hits in one generation which is worth an exclusive agreement even if its only temporary.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2006, 04:31:11 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
I don't know if this would be that big of deal considering the length Bethesda has between releases. They only had one title for the XBox, so this could be the only big release for them in the Elder scrolls world for awhile, where as with something like Rockstar and GTA they pumped out 3 big hits in one generation which is worth an exclusive agreement even if its only temporary.

Well they are working on Fallout 3 though I doubt that will sell anywhere near the amount Oblivion did.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2006, 06:21:08 PM »

Can't confirm or deny this unfortunately.  I'm off of Oblivion and on another project! Cool
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2006, 11:46:31 PM »

So it IS true. Everyone knows when someone says that they can't confirm or deny something, they ALWAYS have something to hide.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2006, 11:59:50 PM »

So it IS true. Everyone knows when someone says that they can't confirm or deny something, they ALWAYS have something to hide.

Yep!

I am sure it will be for the PS3. The PSP? Well, it's probabily true as well. If the PS3 version is much better than the 360 version....then yes, I will buy it.   smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2006, 12:43:22 AM »

I don't care how much better it is, there's no way I am doing this again.

I am still loving the game but I can't imagine playing it again.  I'm seriously doing every single thing I can with the guilds and random missions the first time so I have no reason to go back.  94 hours in and I am still doing guild missions.  I'm not sure what I'll do next, but I am in no hurry to get to the main story.

Great game, but once it's over it's going to be over for good.

Maybe if I had it on PC with all those mods to play around with (it sounds like a different game already)...  I must stop all this crazy talk *shudder*.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2006, 03:53:36 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I don't care how much better it is, there's no way I am doing this again.

I am still loving the game but I can't imagine playing it again.  I'm seriously doing every single thing I can with the guilds and random missions the first time so I have no reason to go back.  94 hours in and I am still doing guild missions.  I'm not sure what I'll do next, but I am in no hurry to get to the main story.

Great game, but once it's over it's going to be over for good.

Maybe if I had it on PC with all those mods to play around with (it sounds like a different game already)...  I must stop all this crazy talk *shudder*.

Hehhehe...good luck with the Oblivion gates when you are higher level.  I know that I knocked one gate shut at level 5 or 7 and had little difficulty.  Now, at level 22 I'm having significant challenges...the creatures are a little more 'angry' at this level.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2006, 02:48:31 PM »

If only!  Then we would have had flails in Oblivion because I responded the same way to that question smile  It's one of my favorite responses actually.  "Would you like fries with that?"  "I can't confirm or deny anything!!!"
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2006, 05:20:59 PM »

Hey, what project are you on now, Kathode?  biggrin New TES game, one of the Trek games, or something unannounced?

You can at least confirm one of those three possibilities, man!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2006, 06:56:10 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry"
Hey, what project are you on now, Kathode?  biggrin New TES game, one of the Trek games, or something unannounced?

You can at least confirm one of those three possibilities, man!

Now here I really DO have something to hide smile
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2006, 07:02:55 PM »

Now hold on, it's not like it'd be a big secret that you're working on something unannounced; I mean, developers are doing that stuff all the time!

I'm just wondering if we can start to pester you about the Trek games or Fallout 3, mostly.

Though a *wink, wink* admission of a new TES game already in development would be nifty as well.  :twisted:

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2006, 01:37:52 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Hehhehe...good luck with the Oblivion gates when you are higher level.  I know that I knocked one gate shut at level 5 or 7 and had little difficulty.  Now, at level 22 I'm having significant challenges...the creatures are a little more 'angry' at this level.

Well I am at level 28 currently.  I've been to Oblivion once in one of the Daedra shrine quests (Pyrite).  I've figured out the aligator things and the elementals...  As long as the Daedra lords are swinging those heavy weapons I'm okay.  It's when somebody can match my speed (dinosaur things, swordsmen) that I am in trouble.  Magic doesn't do anything to me but getting ganged up on is quick death.  The most trouble I've had is with those humanoids that begin with an "X."

Just started into sneaking around and I love it.  I just wish I had a button to automatically switch my equipment from "tank" to "silent death."

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2006, 08:50:21 PM »

The November issue of OPM confirmed that Oblivion will be a PS3 launch title.  Will have a new faction/quest line included.  Don't really know anything else about it yet. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2006, 11:45:03 PM »

Also, Oblivion for the PSP was confirmed as well. 
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2006, 11:55:16 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 26, 2006, 02:56:44 PM

You could tap on your enemy in battle! That would make all the difference in the world and it wouldn't be called a port!!

Your use of the word "tap" made me LOL, well done.

Oblivion for the PSP could be neat.  Unless there are Oblivion gates in it, then I'll pass.

TheMissingLink on PSN
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2006, 12:14:04 AM »

Once again, the question needs to be asked:

Will Hetz buy the PS3 and PSP versions of these games, and the PS3 (and if necessary) PSP consoles to play said games?   icon_twisted

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2006, 12:35:42 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 27, 2006, 08:50:21 PM

The November issue of OPM confirmed that Oblivion will be a PS3 launch title.  Will have a new faction/quest line included.  Don't really know anything else about it yet. 

I honestly don't believe that either the PS3 nor Oblivion will be available on the PS3 launch date.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2006, 02:44:01 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 28, 2006, 12:35:42 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 27, 2006, 08:50:21 PM

I honestly don't believe that either the PS3 nor Oblivion will be available on the PS3 launch date.

I will be amazed if the PS3 isn't available on the PS3 launch date.  Tongue
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: