http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 08:16:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nvidia launches a game system Project Shield  (Read 891 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2013, 09:54:10 AM »

Project Shield

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 10:47:13 AM »

Oh boy, another Ouya-like disaster. This won't be pretty.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 03:43:47 PM »

While I agree that this thing looks ridiculous and reeks of failure, I'm not sure how you can label Ouya a failure yet.  I know you don't like it, but it's had one of the most successful Kickstarter launches in history, so far it's on track for a March release, and all indications I've seen show that it's coming along fine.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 05:21:35 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 07, 2013, 03:43:47 PM

While I agree that this thing looks ridiculous and reeks of failure, I'm not sure how you can label Ouya a failure yet.  I know you don't like it, but it's had one of the most successful Kickstarter launches in history, so far it's on track for a March release, and all indications I've seen show that it's coming along fine.

The Kickstarter success means nothing if the product is doomed to fail, and the Ouya is most definitely doomed to fail. It was so from the very beginning. There's a ton of reasons. The developers have been overpromising on features and support while being annoyingly vague on a lot of things, even outright lying in some cases (as early as the Kickstarter campaign itself, among other things by claiming developer support which had never been promised). The hardware is untried and untested, from a developer with little to no experience. They gave themselves a very short timeline to create and distribute this thing. Who's going to retail it? Are they going to sell it online?

Here's the kicker though: It's not going to have any AAA games. Which publisher in their right mind would support a console that brags about how easy it is to root, when that console at the same time has a diminutive user base? Yet the developers made lofty and vague promises about AAA support during the campaign, promises they won't be able to keep. Even indie developers are being cautious. Porting a game takes a lot of time, effort and money, and as it stands it might be very hard for them to recoup the cost, even assuming that 90% of the Ouya's users won't pirate their games (which they will). The promises of free gameplay is a fancy way of saying that games will have demos.

I think a lot of the Kickstarter backers, perhaps even the vast majority, backed the campaign based on these false promises and a fantasy about what the Ouya is that doesn't relate to the real world at all. This thing is going to be a glorified Android phone on the big screen, and that's not exactly a concept that's going to attract crowds. Once the console arrives in everyone's homes (and assuming that it isn't overly bugged, which is far from given considering the current state of the thing) and people realize what they've bought, there's going to be a massive backlash online that will hurt the company's credibility and potential sales, perhaps so much as to seal their fate.

You can't succeed through false advertising when it comes to something like consoles, not like this. The makers of Ouya are going to experience this, and it's going to hurt both them and their customers. Penny Arcade Report had a bit to say about this.

All of that based on the Kickstarter alone. Here's another little update from PA Report that talks about the current situation and how it reeks of failure.
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 07:13:58 PM »

I personally don't care about whether or not it offers AAA games, or any new games for that matter. Android and iOS games are games that I put up with when I'm not able to sit down at a PC or console and play something substantial. I want this thing for its emulation possibilities, and I'm betting a large portion of the people that Kickstarted it feel the same way. If it can deliver on that, then I'm probably in.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 07:23:34 PM »

I personally would of liked off set thumb sticks,but then it really would of looked like an Xbox 1 controller,and like the Playstation controller i can deal with it

But that is the way to do handhelds,I can't get it on with the controls being with the screen as one like the PSP and the rest,i need to properly be able to grip the gaming device if i am to have a serious time playing and not just fucking about

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 11:27:31 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 07, 2013, 05:21:35 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 07, 2013, 03:43:47 PM

While I agree that this thing looks ridiculous and reeks of failure, I'm not sure how you can label Ouya a failure yet.  I know you don't like it, but it's had one of the most successful Kickstarter launches in history, so far it's on track for a March release, and all indications I've seen show that it's coming along fine.

Blah blah blah...

The point is you called it a disaster, which it's not. At least not yet. To this point, it is a success with a lot of potential. It may not meet that potential when it comes out. It may even become a disaster (though, as I've said before, it seems most similar to the OnLive console launch, which, while not the success they were hoping for, is far from what you're talking about*).  At this point, the Ouya is not a failure and still looks interesting to many people.

Unlike the turd nvidia is showing...

*BTW, it appears that the ouya will be running OnLive as well, which will, in fact, give it AAA titles.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:10:01 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 05:26:15 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 07, 2013, 11:27:31 PM

*BTW, it appears that the ouya will be running OnLive as well, which will, in fact, give it AAA titles.

Pretty much any Android device can download OnLive, for what it's worth.  I'm assuming that will include this Nvidia system as well when the time comes.   

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 06:38:13 PM »

June launch with a $349 price tag.  Joystiq has a hands on, I imagine there are going to be more popping up.

TiLT will be by to bash it some more once he's done kicking around the Ouya a bit longer.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:40:29 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 06:57:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 14, 2013, 06:38:13 PM

TiLT will be by to bash it some more once he's done kicking around the Ouya a bit longer.

Nah, I don't have to bash the Ouya any longer. The media has picked up that torch.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 08:46:18 PM »

To be honest, if this streamed any controller-enabled game from my PC to my bed, I would likely buy it day 1 at that price. However, from what I am reading, that is far from the case.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 09:40:46 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 14, 2013, 08:46:18 PM

To be honest, if this streamed any controller-enabled game from my PC to my bed, I would likely buy it day 1 at that price. However, from what I am reading, that is far from the case.

I thought that was exactly the case.  What are you seeing that is counter to that?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 09:56:39 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 14, 2013, 09:40:46 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 14, 2013, 08:46:18 PM

I thought that was exactly the case.  What are you seeing that is counter to that?

I believe one of the articles stated it required a better router than I have and only certain games work well with it so far. I'll have to dig up the info.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 10:04:43 PM »

$350 for a portable gaming system...yea that will just fly off the shelves.  icon_lol
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 11:17:11 PM »

So the basics are here:

http://shield.nvidia.com/play-pc-games

Streaming is listed as beta at launch and the give 6 games as examples. Now, one of those is Skyrim, which could theoretically get you through beta smile.  From what I understand the games need to be modified to work.

There is a restriction of gtx 650 or better, which means that I wouldn't be able to move to AMD next gen like I was thinking of. The rother bit is a little confusing - older versions of the page stated that a MIMO router was recommended, but they have changed that to just 802.11n, and a list of recommended routers will be released when they ship.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »

System Requirements for PC Game Streaming:

> GPU: GeForce GTX desktop GPU, 650 or higher (this GPU must be the primary display device in the system)
    > CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz or AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz or higher
    > System Memory: 4GB or higher
    > Software: GeForce Experience™ application and latest GeForce drivers
    > OS: Windows 8 or Windows 7
    > Routers: 802.11a/g router (minimum). 802.11n dual band router (recommended). A list of recommended routers will be provided at launch.

check, check, check, not a problem, check, check.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 11:35:14 PM »

Here's some info regarding the streaming from theverge.com. Note mention of the MIMO requirement:

If you're dreaming of all the PC games you'll be playing on the Shield, though, you might be disappointed to hear that there are still some kinks to be worked out, and Nvidia will be labeling the feature "beta" to manage expectations for at least a couple of months. Borderlands 2 in particular worked great in our brief test, but neither game's animations felt quite as fluid as on PC, and several times Nvidia had difficulty getting the Shield and PC to stay connected. The setup also requires an approved Wi-Fi router (dual-band MIMO) to function well, and doesn't yet work with all games: only a limited selection of Steam Big Picture mode and GeForce Experience titles are good to go as of today, though engineers told us that the buttons and sticks should theoretically just work with any PC game that supports an Xbox controller.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 12:46:00 AM »

delayed until July:

The issue relates to a third-party mechanical component, and we’re working around the clock with the supplier to get it up to our expectations.

Because I can,
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 01:19:39 AM »

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57594761-235/nvidia-plans-to-ship-shield-gaming-device-on-july-31/

Finally ships July 31st.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 01:20:01 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on July 22, 2013, 01:19:39 AM

finally!  was expecting another delay.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 01:53:45 AM »

big update today.

Because I can,
Jumangi

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 06:42:18 AM »

Shouldn't this be under portables?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: