http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 05:20:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NPD Dec 08  (Read 5358 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2009, 04:02:35 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 22, 2009, 03:54:14 AM

However, December and January numbers jumped quite a bit thanks presumably to excellent world of mouth (and IIRC a bundling of Splinter Cell or something) and it ended up doing at least a million in just the US but by that point the common perception was that it was a sales failure had already stuck. 

Didn't they drop the price to $20? I know I got it with Beyond Good and Evil for $20 each.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2009, 04:06:16 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 22, 2009, 04:02:35 AM

However, December and January numbers jumped quite a bit thanks presumably to excellent world of mouth (and IIRC a bundling of Splinter Cell or something) and it ended up doing at least a million in just the US but by that point the common perception was that it was a sales failure had already stuck. 

Didn't they drop the price to $20? I know I got it with Beyond Good and Evil for $20 each.

I don't remember any games dropping that low or that fast last generation.  I remember getting SoT when it was released though...damn I was psyched for that game.  Luckily, it was enjoyable...more than I can say for this new PoP.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2009, 06:38:59 AM »

I do remember getting PoP:Sot and the original Splinter Cell for the Xbox bundled together for $40, so I can validate Kevin Grey's memory.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2009, 01:25:13 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 22, 2009, 04:06:16 AM

Luckily, it was a masterpiece and one of the best games of the whole generation...more than I can say for this new PoP.

FTFY.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2009, 05:47:02 PM »

Quote from: Graham on January 22, 2009, 06:38:59 AM

I do remember getting PoP:Sot and the original Splinter Cell for the Xbox bundled together for $40, so I can validate Kevin Grey's memory.

I think I might have gotten in on some kind of special Circuit City deal where they were selling BG&E for $10 for the PS2 and I did the Splinter Cell/Pop thing. It was 4 years ago, I can't remember exactly smile

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2009, 07:39:43 PM »

Just to follow up on PoP, this is what today's earnings report from Ubisoft had to say:

A solid showing from franchise titles launched during the quarter, particularly Far Cry 2 and Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party which generated sell-in sales of 2.9 million and 1.5 million units respectively and offset the impact of a slower take-off Prince of Persia (2.2 million units). 

So it sounds like PoP isn't quite living up to expectations though hardly disastrous.  Nice to see Far Cry 2 doing so well though.

Also in the report is very strong sales for Shaun White Snowboarding on Wii. 
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2009, 09:23:30 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 22, 2009, 07:39:43 PM

Just to follow up on PoP, this is what today's earnings report from Ubisoft had to say:

A solid showing from franchise titles launched during the quarter, particularly Far Cry 2 and Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party which generated sell-in sales of 2.9 million and 1.5 million units respectively and offset the impact of a slower take-off Prince of Persia (2.2 million units). 

So it sounds like PoP isn't quite living up to expectations though hardly disastrous.  Nice to see Far Cry 2 doing so well though.

Also in the report is very strong sales for Shaun White Snowboarding on Wii. 

Just to be clear, those are units sold to retailers.  The classic shipped vs. sold conundrum smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2009, 09:28:08 PM »

Quote from: kathode on January 22, 2009, 09:23:30 PM

Just to be clear, those are units sold to retailers.  The classic shipped vs. sold conundrum smile

Yep, though how much Ubi cares has to do whether they accept returns from retailers.  Which I've never been clear if it happens in the gaming industry. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2009, 09:43:35 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 22, 2009, 09:28:08 PM

Quote from: kathode on January 22, 2009, 09:23:30 PM

Yep, though how much Ubi cares has to do whether they accept returns from retailers.  Which I've never been clear if it happens in the gaming industry. 

When I worked in retail (4 years ago), we were able to return unsold copies of games to the publisher for credit towards future purchases after a period of time went by.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2009, 12:01:37 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 22, 2009, 02:09:53 AM

That I find most interesting about that linked webpage is the sales for Prince of Persia. Roughly 500k on 2 platforms for a title that wasn't even out for the entire month has to make it the best selling Prince or Persia game yet. I'm a little fuzzy about the last 2 entries in the series last gen, but I'm fairly certain that all 3 didn't have anywhere near those sales for a 1st month. Ubisoft has got to be happy that they've finally got a PoP that's making $.

Eh, don't pop the champagne yet.  Sales this gen are far more frontloaded than last gen so first month sales act proportionally higher.  And it's even more front loaded the more something is seen as a new franchise entry.  While SoT was clearly a new installment in a series with some name recognition, it's still a more recognizable franchise now than it was in 2003. Sands of Time actually sold 400k+ across all three platforms in December 2003. 

This may be somewhat of a moot point, but the latest PoP is actually selling quite a bit better than SoT when you consider that, unlike last gen, it didn't release on the console [Wii] with the largest install base. Those 400k 1st month SoT sales include sales for the market leading PS2. As well, the way most 3rd party titles sold for the Cube, I can't imagine that platform buoyed sales up much in the begining or end.
I wish Ubi would have developed an alternate release for the Wii, I quite liked the wiimote controls in Rival Swords.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 12:04:40 AM by kronovan » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2009, 12:15:19 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 23, 2009, 12:01:37 AM

Quote from: kronovan on January 22, 2009, 02:09:53 AM

That I find most interesting about that linked webpage is the sales for Prince of Persia. Roughly 500k on 2 platforms for a title that wasn't even out for the entire month has to make it the best selling Prince or Persia game yet. I'm a little fuzzy about the last 2 entries in the series last gen, but I'm fairly certain that all 3 didn't have anywhere near those sales for a 1st month. Ubisoft has got to be happy that they've finally got a PoP that's making $.

Eh, don't pop the champagne yet.  Sales this gen are far more frontloaded than last gen so first month sales act proportionally higher.  And it's even more front loaded the more something is seen as a new franchise entry.  While SoT was clearly a new installment in a series with some name recognition, it's still a more recognizable franchise now than it was in 2003. Sands of Time actually sold 400k+ across all three platforms in December 2003. 

This may be somewhat of a moot point, but the latest PoP is actually selling quite a bit better than SoT when you consider that, unlike last gen, it didn't release on the console [Wii] with the largest install base. Those 400k 1st month SoT sales include sales for the market leading PS2. As well, the way most 3rd party titles sold for the Cube, I can't imagine that platform buoyed sales up much in the begining or end.
I wish Ubi would have developed an alternate release for the Wii, I quite liked the wiimote controls in Rival Swords.

Right, but consider what I said that counteracts that- buying habits are far more frontloaded this generation than last so I think that goes a long way toward compensating.  It's a more extreme example but look at the MGS4 numbers in that link- it did 75% of it's US year to date in its first month.  Considering the rather polarized reaction the latest PoP has garnered, I doubt word of mouth (and therefore legs) will be particularly strong. 

As for platform breakdown for SoT, it was approximately:

PS2:  220k
Xbox: 130k
Cube:  85k

Also, to be clear, those are second month sales for SoT (December 2003).  IIRC, first month sales were only a bit over 100k (hence the whole urban myth about it's poor sales). 

The Wii point is interesting given that Ubi specifically cited Wii software sales (and Shaun White and Raving Rabbids TV Party in particular) as a highlight of their most recent quarter.  They may reconsider their platform allocation for a title like PoP in the future. 
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2009, 12:48:16 AM »

Where's Hetz when you need some good PS3 defense?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2009, 01:13:01 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on January 23, 2009, 12:48:16 AM

Where's Hetz when you need some good PS3 defense?

he has his disciples  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2009, 03:54:17 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 21, 2009, 10:07:24 PM

Quote from: Eco-Logic on January 18, 2009, 04:38:17 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 17, 2009, 03:42:00 PM

Quote from: jersoc on January 17, 2009, 03:35:12 AM

rock band doing better than gh? suck it everyone who said i would be wrong.

i called that shit and pretty much everyone disagreed with me. get your forks.

Don't pat his head, he wasn't even right... ninja

He is correct that across multiple platforms, Rock Band outsold GH:WT.

Actually it doesn't look that way.  In fact GHWT outsold Rock Band 2 by a 2:1 ratio.

http://kotaku.com/5139076/world-tour-outsells-rock-band-2

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: