http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 09:30:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NPD Dec 08  (Read 5359 times)
msteelers
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, 05:58:14 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 16, 2009, 05:07:43 PM

Regardless of what Sony sold PS3-wise in December, you can't deny that the fact that 2008 sales were up 40% from the previous year which is a good thing.  PS3 software went up 115% (which makes sense with the jump of new owners).

And with the rumored price cut coming in April (via Pachter who I despise), they should sell more in 2009.

I would say that number is the only reason Sony isn't dead in the water. We know they can sell systems when they are close in price to the 360.

But, didn't a large majority of those sales come in the early months of 2008? I remember they were killing Microsoft for several months in a row when they were similar in price and there were rumors of 360 shortages. Microsoft turned it around with a price cut of their own, and hasn't looked back since. And from what I remember, Sony is still losing a significant amount of money on each unit sold, while Microsoft is close to breaking even. I would not be surprised at all if Microsoft has their own price cut to match whatever Sony does, or maybe even make the price cut first.

Sony still has a chance to turn it around. The first thing they need to do though is make sure these short-term trends don't extend too far into 2009.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2009, 06:03:49 PM »

Quote from: kathode on January 16, 2009, 05:46:41 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 16, 2009, 01:38:46 PM

Anyone know what fallout ended up selling? I thought for sure it would beat that bottom number.

Everyone here is very happy.  Whether we should be in that list or not (it's for single, US-only SKUs remember), I don't know.  NPD data has some level of unreliability in it, but if I said "They're underestimating us" it could very well be that they're underestimating everyone else too.  So who knows.  Some of those games have been out for much longer.  Also it helps that we're self-published, so we get a bigger slice of the pie this time around.  Mmm, pie.

Very impressive numbers all around though.

Well ballpark it for me? I'm guessing it's somewhere north of 2 million with all platforms covered. Am I close?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2009, 06:10:12 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 16, 2009, 01:38:46 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 16, 2009, 01:23:48 AM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 16, 2009, 01:17:24 AM

WOOHOO! Left for dead selling like crazy.

...at 1/3rd the rate of Call of Duty: World at War....

And?  Not sure you can compare a brand new IP against a 7 year (?) old blockbuster franchise.  In two months it has already moved over a million copies (on 360 alone) which is incredible given that it's a new IP and doesn't fit into your standard shooter genre.

Yes, but it's by a proven developer.  Valve has a solid reputation in the PC industry and has been making solid in-roads into consoles with the Orange Box/Portal.  That benefitted the title drastically, with a 160% pre-order increase over the Orange Box.  Not to mention the $10million media blitz that was put behind it.  I dispute your contention that it's "selling like crazy" when the nearest game in terms of base mechanics is outselling it 3-to-1, new IP notwithstanding, especially when the consensus is that the setting for CoD:W@W has been done to death, being the 4th of the 5 games set in WWII.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009, 06:22:11 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 16, 2009, 06:10:12 PM

Yes, but it's by a proven developer.  Valve has a solid reputation in the PC industry and has been making solid in-roads into consoles with the Orange Box/Portal. 

FWIW, L4D's sales are dramatically better than Orange Box did on 360 so I think it's pretty much an unqualified success on that platform, especially given that L4D is a brand new IP and not tied to the well known Half-Life name.  Further L4D's sales jumped 52% month to month while fellow 360 stablemates Gears 2 and CoD had drops month to month (very slight in CoD's case and significant for Gears), indicating that L4D is enjoying quite a bit of positive word of mouth. On the 360 month to month drops are the norm so a title going up in sales month to month is news in and of itself. 

Valve may have been a PC gaming juggernaut for a decade now but it's really only in the past year they've made significant inroads into consoles. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2009, 06:22:24 PM »

I dispute your contention that it's "selling like crazy" when the nearest game in terms of base mechanics is outselling it 3-to-1, new IP notwithstanding,

I dispute that 1 million copies in 2 months is not selling like crazy. After two months in release, it's only 600k copies behind the 10th best selling game of the entire year 2008.  IIRC, sales of L4D were 200k+ higher this month than last month.

If that's not crazy, I'm not sure how crazy is calcuated.

especially when the consensus is that the setting for CoD:W@W has been done to death, being the 4th of the 5 games set in WWII.

Like say, Madden? (edit: as in done to death; not the WWII setting Tongue )
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 06:24:28 PM by SensuousLettuce » Logged
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2009, 06:30:09 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 16, 2009, 06:22:24 PM

especially when the consensus is that the setting for CoD:W@W has been done to death, being the 4th of the 5 games set in WWII.

Like say, Madden? (edit: as in done to death; not the WWII setting Tongue )

"You look down there, and there's the mortar shell, and BOOM!  There goes the guy's head!  That's what war is all about."
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2009, 06:46:47 PM »

I dispute your contention that it's "selling like crazy" when the nearest game in terms of base mechanics is outselling it 3-to-1, new IP notwithstanding,

I dispute that 1 million copies in 2 months is not selling like crazy. After two months in release, it's only 600k copies behind the 10th best selling game of the entire year 2008.  IIRC, sales of L4D were 200k+ higher this month than last month.

So 1 million for L4D, huh?  Compared to 3.87 million for Call of Duty...  So if 1 million is selling like crazy, then CoD:W@W must be selling like paranoid schizophrenia with dissociative identity disorder. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2009, 06:56:47 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 16, 2009, 06:46:47 PM

So 1 million for L4D, huh?  Compared to 3.87 million for Call of Duty...  So if 1 million is selling like crazy, then CoD:W@W must be selling like paranoid schizophrenia with dissociative identity disorder. 

CoD is to this generation what GTA3 and Final Fantasy 7 were to the prior two generations- IPs that had a later iteration explode in popularity compared to the series prior success.  CoD4 has sold more than 10 million worldwide, which means it has likely outsold GTA4 at this point and is not only the most successful 360 game of the generation but one of the most successful games of this generation period regardless of platform. CoD:WaW has benefited enormously from this franchise exposure and is selling similar numbers as CoD4 did this time last year (and significantly more than the prior CoD games). 

So if your metric for blockbuster sales is strictly defined by CoD sales, then pretty much everything else on the market pales in comparison.  But by any other sane metric, L4D's sales are fantastic. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2009, 07:06:42 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 16, 2009, 06:46:47 PM

I have no idea what you're arguing here.  Are you arguing that L4D is not selling like crazy or arguing the non-pertinent point that COD5 is selling better?

If the former, well 1 million in 2 months is proof enough that you're wrong. If you're arguing the latter I agree. COD5 is selling better than L4D.  However, it's not selling nearly as well as Michael Jackson's Thriller album did in the early 80s. I see the two about as connected as whatever it is that you're trying to say.

Now if I had said OMG L4D is outselling COD5 well then you're on target. As it is, you're making no sense whatsoever.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 07:08:20 PM by SensuousLettuce » Logged
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2009, 07:16:52 PM »

Go sell crazy somewhere else.  We're all stocked up here.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:29:59 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2009, 07:21:56 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 16, 2009, 07:16:52 PM

Go sell crazy somewhere else.  We're all full here.

Sorry. We don't open for the no sexos until 10 am.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2009, 07:24:51 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 16, 2009, 07:06:42 PM

If the former, well 1 million in 2 months is proof enough that you're wrong. If you're arguing the latter I agree. COD5 is selling better than L4D.  However, it's not selling nearly as well as Michael Jackson's Thriller album did in the early 80s. I see the two about as connected as whatever it is that you're trying to say.

Now if I had said OMG L4D is outselling COD5 well then you're on target. As it is, you're making no sense whatsoever.

Yeah, cause there are no similarities between the two squad-based shooter combat games...   Roll Eyes

Yes, Left 4 Dead is selling well.  But it's not even tops in its genre in sales.  Based on Gamespy rankings, there were 4 "shooters" that came out in November:  CoD, L4D, Quantum of Solace, and GoW2.  Each one has its own fanbase to appeal to, but at the base concept, they fill the same genre.  And Left 4 Dead is third on the list for December.  

Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2009, 07:35:30 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 16, 2009, 07:24:51 PM

Yes, Left 4 Dead is selling well.  But it's not even tops in its genre in sales.  Based on Gamespy rankings, there were 4 "shooters" that came out in November:  CoD, L4D, Quantum of Solace, and GoW2.  Each one has its own fanbase to appeal to, but at the base concept, they fill the same genre.  And Left 4 Dead is third on the list for December.  

L4D is also pretty almost completely MP-focused, which is why the high sales surprise me. I do wonder how many people without the capacity for online play bought the game and found it to be underwhelming...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2009, 07:37:25 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on January 16, 2009, 07:35:30 PM

L4D is also pretty almost completely MP-focused, which is why the high sales surprise me. I do wonder how many people without the capacity for online play bought the game and found it to be underwhelming...

Well, I would guess that it was positive word of mouth via XBL and Friend's Lists that were responsible for the month to month bump so I doubt many were disappointed by the single player. 
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2009, 07:48:05 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 16, 2009, 06:03:49 PM

Well ballpark it for me? I'm guessing it's somewhere north of 2 million with all platforms covered. Am I close?

Sorry, it's company financial info, so "doing great" is as close as I can get smile
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2009, 07:52:34 PM »

November news was "counted sales of over $300 million" worldwide.  At $60 a pop, that would be 5 million sold ... in November.  I can't find anything more up to date.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2009, 07:59:21 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 16, 2009, 07:24:51 PM

Yes, Left 4 Dead is selling well.  

Glad you've come around. This was my entire point.

But it's not even tops in its genre in sales. 

Nor did anyone say it was.

Based on Gamespy rankings, there were 4 "shooters" that came out in November:  CoD, L4D, Quantum of Solace, and GoW2.  Each one has its own fanbase to appeal to, but at the base concept, they fill the same genre. 

If the genre as is 'shoot guns at _____' then yes.  I can't speak to QOS, but COD is nothing like L4D which is nothing like GOW2 which is nothing like COD.

And Left 4 Dead is third on the list for December. 

Because others outsold it does not mean it's not doing well. 
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2009, 08:05:06 PM »

Quote from: kathode on January 16, 2009, 07:48:05 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 16, 2009, 06:03:49 PM

Sorry, it's company financial info, so "doing great" is as close as I can get smile

now go look at the pc board and see that you guys must bring back mechwarrior. thanks!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2009, 08:08:18 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 16, 2009, 07:59:21 PM

Based on Gamespy rankings, there were 4 "shooters" that came out in November:  CoD, L4D, Quantum of Solace, and GoW2.  Each one has its own fanbase to appeal to, but at the base concept, they fill the same genre. 

If the genre as is 'shoot guns at _____' then yes.  I can't speak to QOS, but COD is nothing like L4D which is nothing like GOW2 which is nothing like COD.

That would be the definition of shooter, yes.  Which would certainly not fall under my definition of "nothing like," especially since I can have my WWII shooter and have my brains eaten, too.

And I never said that it wasn't selling well, just that I didn't think "crazy" was an apt modifier for third place in its genre.  

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2009, 08:45:02 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on January 16, 2009, 05:20:08 PM

Quote from: kronovan on January 16, 2009, 02:49:27 PM

Food for thought...another way to look at 2008's top 10 in the US.

Top 10 2008 US Game Sales: Hardcore vs Casual

Hardcore     Casual
----------------------
52%           48%

I included Super Smash Bros Brawl in the hardcore category and placed Mario Kart under casual. So much for the chicken little argument that the hardcore gaming market is falling. It's true the Wii has a smaller total % of the current gen console market than the 360 and PS3 combined (46% vs 54%), but I don't think 8% is a big enough factor to cause a major skewing. I won't even mention that all of those casual games are 1st and 2nd party titles from one company...oops I just did. smile

[Edit] I errantly included Mario Kart NDS in the pecentiles, it has now been removed.

This is interesting stuff. I wonder what it would have looked like last year. I'd be curious to see how it breaks down via platform as well. I'd think that the Wii would dominate with casual titles, and the Xbox 360 would clean up the hardcore category.

Some games, like Super Smash Brothers Brawl, I'd argue are hybrids that fall into both categories. But if I had to put in one category, I'd agree with you that it's more hardcore than casual.

Easy enough to do for the US top 10 game sales for 2008. Here's the breakdown for current gen consoles excluding the 1 NDS game.

Platform:            360                     Wii                      PS3
                Hardcore  Casual    Hardcore  Casual    Hardcore  Casual
                -------------------------------------------------------------
                33%        0%        13%         48%       6%           0%     

The 360 definitely cleans up in the hardcore while the Wii owns the casual.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2009, 10:26:31 PM »

Some more numbas to chew on:

Top 10 by revenue:
1. Wii Fit – Wii
2. Guitar Hero World Tour – Wii
3. Wii Play w/Remote – Wii
4. Call of Duty: World at War – Xbox 360
5. Mario Kart – Wii
6. Gears of War 2 – Xbox 360
7. Rock Band 2 – Xbox 360
8. Left 4 Dead – Xbox 360
9. Call of Duty: World at War – PlayStation 3
10. Rock Band 2 – Wii

Multiformat by revenue:
1. Rock Band – Multiple Platforms
2. Wii Fit – Wii
3. Guitar Hero World Tour – Multiple Platforms
4. Grand Theft Auto IV – Multiple Platforms
5. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock – Multiple Platforms
6. Mario Kart – Wii
7. Madden NFL 09 – Multiple Platforms
8. Wii Play w/ Remote – Wii
9. Call of Duty: World at War – Multiple Platforms
10. Super Smash Brothers: Brawl – Wii

Top 20 overall:

1. Wii Play w/ remote - Wii – Nintendo – 1.46 million
2. Call of Duty: World at War - Xbox 360 – Activision – 1.33 million
3. Wii Fit w/ balance board – Wii – Nintendo – 999K
4. Mario Kart Wii w/ wheel – Wii – Nintendo – 979K
5. Guitar Hero: World Tour - Wii – Activision – 850K
6. Gears of War 2 - Xbox 360 – Microsoft – 745K
7. Left 4 Dead - Xbox 360 – Electronic Arts – 629K
8. Mario Kart - DS – Nintendo – 540K
9. Call of Duty: World at War - PS3 – Activision – 533K
10. Animal Crossing: City Folk - Wii – Nintendo – 497K
11. Wii Music - Wii - Nintendo
12. New Super Mario Bros. - DS - Nintendo
13. Personal Trainer: Cooking - DS - Nintendo
14. Fallout 3 - XBox 360 - Bethesda
15. Club Penguin: Elite Penguin Force - DS - Disney
16. Link's Crossbow Training - Wii - Nintendo
17. Guitar Hero: World Tour - PS2 - Activision
18. Madden NFL 09 - XBox 360 - Electronic Arts
19. Call of Duty: World at War - Wii - Activision
20. Shaun White's Snowboarding: Road Trip - Wii - Ubisoft

Top 10 by platform:

Top 10 Wii Games

1. WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA
2. WII WII FIT NINTENDO OF AMERICA
3. WII MARIO KART NINTENDO OF AMERICA
4. WII GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
5. WII ANIMAL CROSSING: CITY FOLK* NINTENDO OF AMERICA
6. WII WII MUSIC NINTENDO OF AMERICA
7. WII LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING NINTENDO OF AMERICA
8. WII CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
9. WII SHAUN WHITE SNOWBOARDING: ROAD TRIP UBISOFT
10. WII NERF N STRIKE ELECTRONIC ARTS

Top 10 Xbox 360 Games

1. 360 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
2. 360 GEARS OF WAR 2* MICROSOFT
3. 360 LEFT 4 DEAD ELECTRONIC ARTS
4. 360 FALLOUT 3* BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
5. 360 MADDEN NFL 09* ELECTRONIC ARTS
6. 360 GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
7. 360 MORTAL KOMBAT VS. DC UNIVERSE* MIDWAY
8. 360 ROCK BAND 2* MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS
9. 360 FABLE II* MICROSOFT
10. 360 PRINCE OF PERSIA* UBISOFT

Top 10 PlayStation 2 Games

1. PS2 GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
2. PS2 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS
3. PS2 KINGDOM HEARTS RE: CHAIN OF MEMORIES SQUARE ENIX INC
4. PS2 WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2009 THQ
5. PS2 ROCK BAND* MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS
6. PS2 ACTION/ADVENTURE BUNDLE MULTIPLE VIDEO GAME MANUFACTURER
7. PS2 SONIC UNLEASHED SEGA OF AMERICA
8. PS2 LEGO BATMAN WARNER INTERACTIVE
9. PS2 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR FINAL FRONTS ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
10. PS2 GUITAR HERO AEROSMITH* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

Top 10 PlayStation 3 Games

1. PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
2. PS3 MORTAL KOMBAT VS. DC UNIVERSE* MIDWAY
3. PS3 LITTLE BIG PLANET SONY
4. PS3 PRINCE OF PERSIA* UBISOFT
5. PS3 GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
6. PS3 RESISTANCE 2* SONY
7. PS3 MADDEN NFL 09* ELECTRONIC ARTS
8. PS3 FALLOUT 3* BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
9. PS3 ROCK BAND 2* MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS
10. PS3 NEED FOR SPEED: UNDERCOVER ELECTRONIC ARTS

Top 10 Game Boy Advance Games

1. GBA ACTION/ADVENTURE BUNDLE MULTIPLE VIDEO GAME MANUFACTURER
2. GBA YAHTZEE/PAYDAY/GAME OF LIFE DESTINATION SOFTWARE INC.
3. GBA HOT WHEELS: ALL OUT DESTINATION SOFTWARE INC.
4. GBA RISK/BATTLESHIP/CLUE DESTINATION SOFTWARE INC.
5. GBA UNO 52 DESTINATION SOFTWARE INC.
6. GBA DISNEY PRINCESS: ROYAL ADVENTURE DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
7. GBA PUPPY LUV: SPA & RESORT ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
8. GBA DISNEY'S ENCHANTED DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
9. GBA DISNEY'S LITTLE MERMAID: MAGIC IN TWO KINGDOMS DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
10. GBA MOUSETRAP/OPERATION/SIMON DESTINATION SOFTWARE INC.

Top 10 Nintendo DS Games

1. NDS MARIO KART NINTENDO OF AMERICA
2. NDS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS NINTENDO OF AMERICA
3. NDS PERSONAL TRAINER: COOKING NINTENDO OF AMERICA
4. NDS CLUB PENGUIN: ELITE PENGUIN FORCE DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
5. NDS KIRBY SUPER STAR ULTRA NINTENDO OF AMERICA
6. NDS POKEMON RANGER: SHADOWS OF ALMIA NINTENDO OF AMERICA
7. NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A DAY NINTENDO OF AMERICA
8. NDS MARIO PARTY NINTENDO OF AMERICA
9. NDS GUITAR HERO ON TOUR DECADES* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
10. NDS BRAIN AGE: TRAIN YOUR BRAIN IN MINUTES A DAY NINTENDO OF AMERICA

Top 10 PSP Games

1. PSP MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS
2. PSP WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2009 THQ
3. PSP LEGO BATMAN WARNER INTERACTIVE
4. PSP MIDNIGHT CLUB: LA REMIX TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
5. PSP STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED LUCASARTS
6. PSP IRON MAN SEGA OF AMERICA
7. PSP NEED FOR SPEED: UNDERCOVER ELECTRONIC ARTS
8. PSP NBA LIVE 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS
9. PSP GRAND THEFT AUTO: LIBERTY CITY STORIES TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
10. PSP GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY STORIES TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2009, 10:54:25 PM »

I'm kind of surprised at the Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe rankings in the individual console areas.  I would be curious to see the numbers for them.  Unfortunately, I can't imagine it's close to the number that Midway expected.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2009, 03:35:12 AM »

rock band doing better than gh? suck it everyone who said i would be wrong.

i called that shit and pretty much everyone disagreed with me. get your forks.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2009, 03:55:29 AM »

That's the great thing about guitar game arguments.  It doesn't matter who wins-you're all still ghey Tongue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2009, 05:21:48 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on January 17, 2009, 03:35:12 AM

You did see the top 10 didn't you?  Guitar Hero on Wii is the best selling music game right now. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2009, 05:41:10 AM »

suck it everyone who said i would be wrong.

Quote from: Canuck on January 17, 2009, 03:55:29 AM

It doesn't matter who wins-you're all still ghey

Who let the 7th graders into the thread?

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2009, 03:06:44 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 17, 2009, 05:21:48 AM

You did see the top 10 didn't you?  Guitar Hero on Wii is the best selling music game right now. 

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2009, 03:22:33 PM »

Roll Eyes  Congratulations, here's a cookie.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2009, 04:38:17 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 17, 2009, 03:42:00 PM

Don't pat his head, he wasn't even right... ninja
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2009, 09:31:51 PM »

Big name titles that didn't make the cut in 2008:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21937
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2009, 09:43:33 PM »

LBP sales in thousands per month:

Oct  Nov  Dec
215  141  255

I am SO GLAD it rebounded after the November drop-off.

TheMissingLink on PSN
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2009, 09:56:53 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 21, 2009, 09:43:33 PM

Oct  Nov  Dec
215  141  255

The problem there, though, is that it didn't do much more than in October even though it was Christmas time.  I think there is a good reason to believe those numbers will go down again for January.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2009, 10:02:40 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 21, 2009, 09:56:53 PM

Oct  Nov  Dec
215  141  255

The problem there, though, is that it didn't do much more than in October even though it was Christmas time.  I think there is a good reason to believe those numbers will go down again for January.

Almost certainly and it won't be the system seller that Sony was hoping.  However it will probably get past a million in US sales which is otherwise very good for the genre.  For whatever reason Sony is good at marketing mascot platformers (sometimes seemingly through sheer force of will) and is really the only company other Nintendo to consistently do it in the past decade. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2009, 10:07:24 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on January 18, 2009, 04:38:17 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 17, 2009, 03:42:00 PM

Don't pat his head, he wasn't even right... ninja

He is correct that across multiple platforms, Rock Band outsold GH:WT.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2009, 10:12:44 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 21, 2009, 09:56:53 PM

Oct  Nov  Dec
215  141  255

Absolutely, a drop in numbers across the board for everything is expected in January.

Quote from: Kevin Grey
Almost certainly and it won't be the system seller that Sony was hoping.  However it will probably get past a million in US sales which is otherwise very good for the genre.  For whatever reason Sony is good at marketing mascot platformers (sometimes seemingly through sheer force of will) and is really the only company other Nintendo to consistently do it in the past decade.

Well, in my opinion, Sony's marketing has been piss poor for awhile now.  And I hardly saw Sackboy this holiday season.  I really think word of mouth helped sales more than anything, and I think that will keep it selling for months.  I mean, it won't be setting records or in the monthly top 10, but it will continue to sell.

There could be another surge if the rumored price cut occurs, as well, as it's really the dominant title in the "well, if I got a PS3..." talk I've seen.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2009, 11:42:35 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 21, 2009, 10:07:24 PM

In terms of units LTD I would be doubtful but maybe there are numbers out there that say otherwise (it's very possible just looking at PS3/360 but I suspect that Wii's fantastic GH sales put it over the top across all platforms).   If you are referring to the revenue numbers above then that has more to do with the ratio of full bundles, to guitar bundles, to game only editions of both games and with Guitar Hero being on the market longer I would expect that it would be selling a higher software-only ratio than Rock Band (and hence generating less revenue). 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2009, 01:03:49 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 21, 2009, 11:42:35 PM

Quote from: Teggy on January 21, 2009, 10:07:24 PM

In terms of units LTD I would be doubtful but maybe there are numbers out there that say otherwise (it's very possible just looking at PS3/360 but I suspect that Wii's fantastic GH sales put it over the top across all platforms).   If you are referring to the revenue numbers above then that has more to do with the ratio of full bundles, to guitar bundles, to game only editions of both games and with Guitar Hero being on the market longer I would expect that it would be selling a higher software-only ratio than Rock Band (and hence generating less revenue). 

I would think that EA/Harmonix have obliterated Activision in revenue if you count DLC sales.  As we move toward the future DLC sales will be where the money is for these types of games IMHO. 

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2009, 02:09:53 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 21, 2009, 09:31:51 PM

Big name titles that didn't make the cut in 2008:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21937

What I find most interesting about that linked webpage is the sales for Prince of Persia. Roughly 500k on 2 platforms for a title that wasn't even out for the entire month has to make it the best selling Prince or Persia game yet. I'm a little fuzzy about the last 2 entries in the series last gen, but I'm fairly certain that all 3 didn't have anywhere near those sales for a 1st month. Ubisoft has got to be happy that they've finally got a PoP that's making $.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2009, 03:54:14 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 22, 2009, 02:09:53 AM

That I find most interesting about that linked webpage is the sales for Prince of Persia. Roughly 500k on 2 platforms for a title that wasn't even out for the entire month has to make it the best selling Prince or Persia game yet. I'm a little fuzzy about the last 2 entries in the series last gen, but I'm fairly certain that all 3 didn't have anywhere near those sales for a 1st month. Ubisoft has got to be happy that they've finally got a PoP that's making $.

Eh, don't pop the champagne yet.  Sales this gen are far more frontloaded than last gen so first month sales act proportionally higher.  And it's even more front loaded the more something is seen as a new franchise entry.  While SoT was clearly a new installment in a series with some name recognition, it's still a more recognizable franchise now than it was in 2003. Sands of Time actually sold 400k+ across all three platforms in December 2003. 

So maybe not a horrendous bomb but I have to think Ubi is disappointed.  I doubt it's the end of the franchise since the upcoming movie pretty much guarantees at least one more game (though it may act more as a tie-in) but it may be the end of this particular take on the franchise. 

However I think Ubi is due to have their quarterly earnings announcement any day and they may comment how it's performing with respect to expectations. 

*There is what amounts to an urban myth that SoT sold poorly.  This is untrue.  However it did sell very poorly it's release month of November 2003 (though still an order of magnitude better than Beyond Good & Evil) and the press was quick to write the obituary when NPDs hit.  However, December and January numbers jumped quite a bit thanks presumably to excellent world of mouth (and IIRC a bundling of Splinter Cell or something) and it ended up doing at least a million in just the US but by that point the common perception was that it was a sales failure had already stuck. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: