http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 08:58:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now that the shiny, newness has worn off: PD0  (Read 1451 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2006, 09:05:24 AM »

Initially, Perfect Dark 0 was an enigma.  A game with reviews so across-the-board, nobody really knew what to expect.  As the launch hit, from what I've gathered, some people ended up enjoying their experience with it, but to me, it seemed like more were frustrated with the single-player and remarked that it was merely an average FPS.

I was always interested in PD0 and for the very first time tonight, I got a chance to play it at a friend's place.  I played multiplayer against my friend and 7 bots and I really enjoyed myself.  It had moments of sheer graphical beauty.  Hard to explain, but at times, I think it's the way the motion is sometimes handled, but it looks really great.

The weapons all felt pretty neat and I was really starting to enjoy getting headshots after awhile.

So, now that the hype has died down and many 360 owners have played some of the other FPS's on the 360 (Call of Duty 2, Quake 4, Condemned to a certain degree), what are your thoughts on PD0?  Some of the best gaming Rare has to offer?  An otherwise above-average FPS marred by a poorly planned-out single-player campaign?  Complete garbage?  I'm just interested in seeing what others thought of Perfect Dark 0.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 03:25:20 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
An otherwise above-average FPS marred by a poorly planned-out single-player campaign?

*see quoted above*

My biggest issues with the SP campaign was how the volume for the voices were too quiet compared to the music. I had many mission before and after objectives go unheard due to the unbalance.

Great MP game though. Bots are fun to blast down, and co-op against them is even more fun. Co-op in SP is fun though, thankfully.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 03:41:06 PM »

Well PD0 remains an enigma-its a game with rare moments of brilliance (in gameplay and graphics) marred by overral mediocrity. the single player story is good, but not great, the level design is wide and varied, and often inspired, but so inconsistent as to make it frustrating. Mission objectives range from tremendous fun to the absolute mundane, and the story is one big cliche. I have only played a little bit of bot match, and it seems like a lot of fun. Single player however, leaves me uninterested. I quit about halfway through the game and doubt I will go back.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 04:01:43 PM »

What Calvin said about single player.  I enjoyed it a bit more (made it three quarters through it) but it is completely all over the map.  Six more months in the cooker would have done wonders fro the game.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 04:15:15 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Six more months in the cooker would have done wonders fro the game.

For a game that was in development since early 2001?

Link

Even considering a change of platforms from GC to 360 isn't around 5 years enough?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 04:20:36 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
For a game that was in development since early 2001?

Link

Even considering a change of platforms from GC to 360 isn't around 5 years enough?

I was going to put in a comment about that but, yeah, it still needed more time.  PD0's gameplay and level design is fundamentally solid but they really needed more expansive playtesting to massage it into something a bit less frustrating.

I think I mentioned it in my iniital impressions but PD0 is actually very reminiscent of Deus Ex in terms of level size and the options and pathways you have for proceeding.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 04:49:11 PM »

Pretty much agreeing with the rest. The single-player could've used some more tweaking. As is, there're moments of "Hey, that's effin' cool", followed immediately by lengths of mediocrity, and sometimes downright annoyances. Unfortunately, the latter two seem to be the dominating parts.

Still, the soundtrack is pretty rockin', though, and I don't think you'll ever feel that the levels themselves are cramped.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 05:04:24 PM »

I dunno, I kind of like it.  I *hated* the first Perfect Dark (as it well documented on this board), but I think I had such extremely low expectations for PD0 that I'm kind of enjoying - even the single player game.

Don't get me wrong - I completely agree with almost every complaint you guys have listed, but some sick part of me is still having fun with it.  Once you get used to the fact that the pace is different than most FPS and get over the horrible level design (anytime you have to paint blue arrows on the floor in an effort to tell the player where to go next....) it's almost fun.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 05:24:36 PM »

i picked up PD0 when i first bought my 360 and i've enjoyed it quite a bit.  i played through the whole SP game on Agent and thought it was a fun shooter, even though it doesn't really offer much new and the story is a little fragmented.  there were some moments in the SP that really were a lot of fun...enough to make the game fun despite the more mundane sections.  once i've taken some time away to play other games, i plan on going back and replaying on a harder difficulty...supposedly makes for a considerably different game.  

as for MP, i haven't played much online, but playing with friends in botmatches is a lot of fun...pretty good level design (although they need more), fun weapons, and i like that the game requires a little more aiming skill than your typical console FPS.  playing co-op is fun as well...having the two of you go in separate directions once in a while instead of constantly fighting side-by-side is a nice touch.

graphically, i think the game looks great...never had understood all the complaints.  sure, the game has a different style that makes it look a little cartoony at times, but it all looks great in motion.  in the end, i'm glad i picked up the game and have had a lot of fun with it so far Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 06:22:45 PM »

I thought it was average as well.

I don't understand the comments about great graphics though.  I think this game could be made for the Xbox and retain pretty much the same level of graphics.

I did enjoy the little MP that that I played especially the siege type matches.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 07:45:59 PM »

I still haven't played it all that much, which is odd since it was one of my day one purchases.  Even the other day when I was jonesin' for a sci-fi FPS, it didn't really even occur to me to load it up and play.  I guess it's a comment on what little I've played that my interest in continuing is so low.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 07:48:03 PM »

The single player is a mixed bag, at times it is really fun, at others it is really lame.  The multiplayer is great though, I like it a lot better than Halo in that regard.  Its a fun game but not GOTY material or anything like that.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 08:35:31 PM »

One thing that bugged me playing it last night was that the movement speed seemed quite slow and there was no jump button.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 01:40:11 AM »

One thing that bugged me playing it last night was that the movement speed seemed quite slow and there was no jump button.

One argument is that you're carring around multiple (and sometimes very heavy) weapons of mass destruction, so yes, your movement speed might be a bit impared (especially if you want to aim with any kind of accuracy).

As for jumping... I'll put it this way - when was the last time you've ever seen somebody in the armed forces jump around and try to dodge enemy fire? Dive to the ground (or roll), maybe, but not bunny hop. However, yes, being able to jump (or at least climb a bit) up and around those 1 foot walls/railings would've been nice.

So, is this a more 'realistic' shooter than say the likes of Halo? I guess that's what I'm trying to say.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 02:52:05 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

One argument is that you're carring around multiple (and sometimes very heavy) weapons of mass destruction, so yes, your movement speed might be a bit impared (especially if you want to aim with any kind of accuracy).

As for jumping... I'll put it this way - when was the last time you've ever seen somebody in the armed forces jump around and try to dodge enemy fire? Dive to the ground (or roll), maybe, but not bunny hop. However, yes, being able to jump (or at least climb a bit) up and around those 1 foot walls/railings would've been nice.

So, is this a more 'realistic' shooter than say the likes of Halo? I guess that's what I'm trying to say.

I dont think in any way its actually, practically any more realistic than the Halo games-although your explanation is at least reasonable. I think the movement speed is too slow, and as one poster said. Any time you need flashing blue arrows to tell you where to go in levels, you are doing something wrong with design.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 04:07:07 AM »

Movement speed depends on what you have in your hand.  You will go considerably slower with a haavy weapon than when you're unarmed.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 04:16:45 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

i actually thought it was cool that carrying large weapons actually starts to slow you down a little...even putting away your pistol to run with empty hands will make you a little faster.  it's a nice little touch to take some of the advantage away from carrying the heavy artillery all the time.

as for no jumping...those "1 foot walls/railings" aren't usually an impassable obstacle.  if you walk up to them and continue to press forward, you can climb over the ledges...you just have to accept that climbing over a wall will slow you down (kinda like real life)...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 05:52:11 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Movement speed depends on what you have in your hand.  You will go considerably slower with a haavy weapon than when you're unarmed.

Honestly, I forgot about that little part (blame the whole 'not having a working 360' thing biggrin ). I guess the heavier weapons are harder to aim/keep steady, which is why you're slower all the time with them out. Apparently their weight on your back (or wherever you store your bazooka/sniper rifle/plasma gun) doesn't unbalance you any.

The 'blue arrows on the ground' thing though does show that the game has issues. I sure don't remember those things in Halo or even the classic N64 Goldeneye, and I didn't have issues getting around the levels. Maybe it's there to guide you as odds are you didn't hear the in-level mission objectives due to the unbalancing of the voices/sound/music.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2006, 12:58:15 AM »

But hey, you like KillZone so it's not like something like that should bother you... :wink:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 01:43:41 AM »

THAT'S the game I was trying to remember that had no jumping!  I mean, you eventually get used to it, but at first, it was creepin' me out.

TheMissingLink on PSN
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2006, 03:43:19 AM »

THAT'S the game I was trying to remember that had no jumping!  I mean, you eventually get used to it, but at first, it was creepin' me out.

I'm a badass war machine and I can't step from the street up to the curb?  Yeah, I was pissed off by some of those unintentional mazes as well.  The stupid context-sensative "press X to climb" then the dumb animation really didn't do much for my enthusiasm.  I still loved the intro movie!  Talking about KZ for those still confused.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2006, 08:11:41 AM »

Have you ever tried to jump with 40-60 pounds of extra combat gear on you? slywink

I actually like games with no jumping, but they must make sure to put those context sensitive movements everywhere possible (and not use low walls to block movement).  Call of Duty 2 kinda does this in a good way.  They have a jump button, but you don't jump all that high and there's no speed boost.  If someone was aiming at your chest he'd still get a killshot on your if you jumped.  So basically it's only useful for jumping over very low obstacles.  However it also has a lot of context sensitive climbing, so most objects you'll be able to climb up and over.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: