http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 11:23:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now that the dust has long settled, Zelda Wind Waker sales  (Read 2114 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2005, 04:56:31 AM »

Hey all, I was just looking at a game store site, I noticed that the heading for the next Zelda game talks about an older, more mature Link going on his new adventure, I figured that Nintendo had bowed to the pressure off of the last Zelda and it's cartoon look.  I have never been as wowed by a game as I was with the graphics in that one and I'm sad to see a change, but oh well.

So my question is this, how did The Wind Waker end up selling?  Did it do well for a Zelda title?  For a AAA Nintendo title?  Does anyone have any figures?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 06:52:35 AM »

It sold very well- over 1.5 million to date and with 150k sold just in December will easily make it to 2 million+ before the generation is out.  That will put it behind only Super Smash Brothers Melee and Super Mario Sunshine for Cube sales this generation.  

Compared to other Zelda's it was roughly in line with the rest of the series, Ocarina of Time excluded. OoT was a bit of an outlier and sold far more than any other Zelda game.  Wind Waker has already sold more than Majora's Mask though.  

I don't think Nintendo was too concerned with the look of the game- the style carried over to both Four Sword Adventures and Minish Cap (which is incredible BTW).  Its too early to say on Minish Cap, but Four Sword Adventures has done surprisingly well for a multiplayer focused project.

I'm not sure that the changed look is so much market reaction as Nintendo tailoring the game's look to the tone of the game.  Since the new game is returning to an older Link the "realistic" look seems more natural than Wind Waker's.  That said, if the new game has sales on par with OoT I don't think we'll see the cel-shaded look for a Zelda game again.  I don't think that will happen though- my guess is the next Zelda will sell roughly in line with Wind Waker albeit with a larger initial boost thanks to its projected Holiday release date.  

For my money, Wind Waker is still one of the most impressive artistic achievements of this console generation.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 08:35:55 AM »

Hey Kevin, great reply.  Thank you for the info!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 09:21:19 AM »

Ahhhh Smash Bros...a title truly worthy of how many copies it has sold.  What a goddamn fantastic game!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 03:02:59 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Ahhhh Smash Bros...a title truly worthy of how many copies it has sold.  What a goddamn fantastic game!

One of the best (if not the best) fighting game this console generation.

Soul Calibur 2 really didn't do it for me (unlike Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast). Virtua Fighter 4 Remix on the PS2 is pretty much the only fighting game that can top SSB:M in my book.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 03:55:48 PM »

The windwalker was great. But for some reason I stopped playing that game some where in teh middle. One of my favorite games of all time is The Ocarina of TIme was Incredible. Maybe Im just tired... but WW was a little boring all the sailing.......... made me sleepy.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 04:52:48 PM »

Hank, as you progress you learned a song that warped you to areas of the map, so you did not have to sail all over the place (at least as much).  Maybe you won't mind once you get that tune.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 07:10:49 PM »

Still a ton of sailing though. Fun game, but the end was not so fun. It felt stretched out.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 08:22:50 PM »

Hmm must finish Windwaker.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 08:51:59 PM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
Still a ton of sailing though. Fun game, but the end was not so fun. It felt stretched out.

Can you raid coastal villages and pillage the locals?  That would be kinda fun.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 10:49:58 PM »

Yeah, the only downside with WW is that the 'warp song' was so obscure to get.  If you didn't have a strategy guide or gamefaq, chances are pretty good that you would miss it (I know I did until near the end).

While the amount of sailing was the biggest drawback of the game for me, I have a feeling that if I had gotten the warp song right away that I would have enjoyed it even more.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 11:05:58 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "Chrisoc13"

Can you raid coastal villages and pillage the locals?  That would be kinda fun.

Nope. Would be fun though.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 11:06:50 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Yeah, the only downside with WW is that the 'warp song' was so obscure to get.  If you didn't have a strategy guide or gamefaq, chances are pretty good that you would miss it (I know I did until near the end).

While the amount of sailing was the biggest drawback of the game for me, I have a feeling that if I had gotten the warp song right away that I would have enjoyed it even more.

I thought you got that pretty early on? I didnt use any sort of strategy and I still remember having it most of the game. How did you get it again? I thought it was in the story.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 11:12:48 PM »

I don't use guides and I found the song too.  Although, it could have been pure luck.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 11:14:05 PM »

Wow, I played Wind Waker when it first came out during my senior year of college (when I should have been working on my thesis).  Almost two years ago now?  Time flies...
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 01:59:53 AM »

Holy crap ... was that two years ago? Huh. I remember WW almost wrecking a handful of essays of mine back then.

The Warp song was crucial to the plot, since it was the only means of gaining the fire/ice arrows.

If there's anything I would have changed about the game, it's that I would have either brought the islands closer to one another, or made the boat "magically" faster. That and I would have gotten rid of the damned final treasure hunt. Man did that kill the game's momentum.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2005, 02:13:06 AM »

If I remember right (and its been a while), there was a cyclone that randomly appeared in one of a few areas.  Once you got sucked up into it, you had to nail the guy in it 3 times with an arrow.

The problem was that I had gone thru the game up to the point of needing it without ever hearing any hints/etc. as to needing it next in order to proceed to get the fire/ice arrows.  I think later there was one NPC who said something offhand about it, but otherwise it was just dumb luck to find it...

Great game regardless....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Semaj

View Profile
Heh
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2005, 04:03:39 AM »

They still hold smash melee tournaments and have clubs in college for the gae...

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2005, 05:19:13 AM »

The final treasure hunit is what I was talking about. It was terrible.

I forgot how you got the warp song, I gess that was kind of random.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2005, 04:33:26 PM »

There is a hint on how to get the warp song, but it is easy to miss and it is well before you get the bow, so by default, you can't act on the hint right away. When you get the initial wind song at the altar next to the smashed altar, the wind god tells you about his brother and hints at getting a song from him. A lousy clue, but it's there.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: