http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 01:13:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now official..MS sued over 360  (Read 1913 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2005, 01:23:36 AM »

Its front page news here at GT and also over at...

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/673/673617p1.html

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 01:32:41 AM »

Nothing beats our Litigious soceity. Not happy? Sue em!

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 01:36:54 AM »

Isn't he going to have to PROVE that the system was designed incorrectly?  Not going to happen...
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 01:43:03 AM »

Wow, this is just pathetic. I haven't had ONE crash or freeze at all. According to the unoffical poll here, nobody else has had any major problems either.

That guy is in for a world of hurt once MS and their lawyers tear him a new one in court.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 01:47:16 AM »

I'll happily testify against him.  No problems on my end <knock on wood>.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 02:57:51 AM »

If it overheated and burnt his house down then I could see him suing, as it is now...

16-bit and loving it!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 03:20:09 AM »

Welcome W98. smile  

Yea, I don't see what grounds this guy has to sue - all MS has to say is that any electronic requires proper ventilation, which this customer did not provide.  

Its a lot like the PS2s I'd get back in my store that had shag carpet stuck in the vents.  "Uh...you DO know you are not supposed to run this on the floor, right?"

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 05:30:28 AM »

More news

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/673/673686p2.html

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 07:20:20 AM »

I was talking with my Mom tonight when she mentioned the word "senile" and I decided to tell her my Xbox Live gamertag (dunno why) and she was like, "wait, wait, there are a lot of people really upset with the xbox and how it's freezing" and then she praised me for holding off on it, lol.  THANKS MA, BUT I WOULD *PREFER* ONE NOW, sheesh.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 02:06:11 PM »

I want to sue this guy for a stupid lawsuit.  If you don't like something you bought, whatever happened to just returning it?  }sigh{

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 02:52:27 PM »

MS should file a class action lawsuit against all the chucklheads who do not RTFM or properly vent a system with 3 Power PC cores!

Class Action Lawsuit for extreme stupidity.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 03:28:22 PM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"
Class Action Lawsuit for Extreme Stupidity.

It would just be a lawsuit, unless MS could find other manufacturers to join their class suit.

I hate press.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 03:44:26 PM »

Gee, good thing they don't bother to warn you about how to handle your 360 to avoid damaging discs..... yeah good thing they didn't bother to print ths in the system manual...

IMPORTANT:
To avoid jamming the DVD drive and damaging discs or the Xbox 360 console:
Remove discs before moving the console or tilting it between the horizontal and vertical positions.
Never use cracked discs. They can shatter inside the console and jam or break internal parts.
When the console is vertical, do not use discs that are smaller than standard DVDs and CDs.

Or a shame they don't tell you to put the system in a well ventilated location... sigh.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 04:02:36 PM »

The 360 came with a system manual??  I mean really, who reads those things anyhow.

Eh don't listen to me, I'm just bitter I missed the "Remove discs before moving the console or tilting it between the horizontal and vertical positions. " part

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 05:20:43 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
I was talking with my Mom tonight when she mentioned the word "senile" and I decided to tell her my Xbox Live gamertag (dunno why) and she was like, "wait, wait, there are a lot of people really upset with the xbox and how it's freezing" and then she praised me for holding off on it, lol.  THANKS MA, BUT I WOULD *PREFER* ONE NOW, sheesh.

There is a blurb in the new Entertainment Weekly commenting on the defective Xbox 360s.  This "360s are defective" is really starting to gain public mindshare.  

Quote from: "Arkon"
Gee, good thing they don't bother to warn you about how to handle your 360 to avoid damaging discs..... yeah good thing they didn't bother to print ths in the system manual...

This is a game console- people expect to fit it in the entertainment center with the rest of their components and have it run fine.  Yeah MS covered their ass in the instruction manual but, as JLu alluded to, a lot of people never bother to look at that.  So from the average consumer's perspective- locking up 360=defective unit, whether that's actually true or not.

And to make matters worse its just as important to keep the power brick "well ventilated".  Again, most people are going to stash that behind the cabinet out of the way.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 05:33:42 PM »

Last night my dog was out in the yard barking at the neighbors.  At least that's what I thought it was.  When I went out there to check it out, I realized my dog was actually saying "Geez that 360 has a big-ass power supply and I'm guessing it overheats like a mofo!  Prolly scratches the hell outta discs too!"
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 05:42:55 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

There is a blurb in the new Entertainment Weekly commenting on the defective Xbox 360s.  This "360s are defective" is really starting to gain public mindshare.  

This is a game console- people expect to fit it in the entertainment center with the rest of their components and have it run fine.  Yeah MS covered their ass in the instruction manual but, as JLu alluded to, a lot of people never bother to look at that.  So from the average consumer's perspective- locking up 360=defective unit, whether that's actually true or not.

And to make matters worse its just as important to keep the power brick "well ventilated".  Again, most people are going to stash that behind the cabinet out of the way.

Wether people read the manual or not, it is there, not reading it is no excuse just because you assumed it would be able to do X,Y, and Z.  What is that saying about ignorance..... Sorry but this is being blown way out of proportion simply because it is MS.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 05:48:22 PM »

Wether people read the manual or not, it is there, not reading it is no excuse just because you assumed it would be able to do X,Y, and Z.  What is that saying about ignorance..... Sorry but this is being blown way out of proportion simply because it is MS.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not advocating the lawsuit.  I'm just pointing out that I don't think its unreasonable for people to expect to put the 360 in an entertainment center and have it function properly.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 06:18:19 PM »

Quote from: "JLu"
The 360 came with a system manual??  I mean really, who reads those things anyhow.

ME!  I read manuals for everything.  I will NOT play a game until I read a manual and some manuals (like Civ IV) a couple times first.  Plus, they always smell great. :wink:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005, 06:35:53 PM »

Don't get me wrong- I'm not advocating the lawsuit.  I'm just pointing out that I don't think its unreasonable for people to expect to put the 360 in an entertainment center and have it function properly.

You are right it is not unreasonable.  But most pictures I have seen the system is crammed tightly into the entertainment center with little ventilation around the system, a closed back with just holes for cabling.  Be sensible about things when you put the 360 in to the entertainment center and it will be fine.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 07:30:36 PM »

Yeah, I realized you're probably not defending the ignorant masses with your statement, but let me tell you... if *I* had purchased a $500 device, I might take the time to peruse the instruction manual, ESPECIALLY if it's giving me problems.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2005, 10:29:32 PM »

I second that.  I may not always read the manual (sometimes I'll skim if there is load time or something on the game), but if there is a problem, that tends to be the first place to go.  And my lawyer doesnt even make the top ten.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2005, 11:01:14 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
And my lawyer doesnt even make the top ten.

And you call yourself an American...

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2005, 11:40:48 PM »

very well said...

&, as far as lawsuit(s), it's just another step (along with everything from the exorbitant ebaying of units by individuals to microsoft's own history of anti-trust violations) in the on-going redefining of the concept of 'entrepreneurship' (at least here in the u.s.) - personally not happy to see it or willing to participate in it, but there you go - seems like everybody's doing it, while deciding for themselves which aspects of it are cool or not...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2005, 12:05:15 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"

Yeah, I realized you're probably not defending the ignorant masses with your statement, but let me tell you... if *I* had purchased a $500 device, I might take the time to peruse the instruction manual, ESPECIALLY if it's giving me problems.

Does the manual actually say that power brick needs to be well ventilated? If that is what's causing many of the problems, and if it is not mentioned in the manual, how are most non-forum reading people supposed to know?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2005, 12:08:14 AM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
Does the manual actually say that power brick needs to be well ventilated? If that is what's causing many of the problems, and if it is not mentioned in the manual, how are most non-forum reading people supposed to know?

Yeah it does specifically mention the power supply.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: