http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 12:42:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nov 2008 NPD Sales Stats  (Read 7416 times)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 14, 2008, 10:16:56 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on December 14, 2008, 09:50:10 PM

There really shouldn't be a distinction between hardcore and casual games. 

This is kind of how I feel.  This need to classify games into hardcore or casual doesn't make sense to me. The problem here is there are games, like Tetris which I mentioned, that can be enjoyed by the so-called casuals and hardcore.  Pokemon would be another example.  Not to mention there are so many different ideas of what people think a hardcore or casual gamer might be. To some, hardcore means people who have to play shooters and other violent games.  To others, it might be people who love games that are punishing in difficulty, like Mega Man 9.  Still to others, it might mean that the game has to have in-depth story of an adult nature.  The thing here is that nobody can agree on what hardcore is....so why do we feel the need to put people in these two categories, especially when someone like me enjoys a wide range of games.  I will play Fallout 3 one minute and Boom Blox the next...so, what does that make me?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: December 14, 2008, 10:30:21 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 12, 2008, 04:28:54 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on December 12, 2008, 03:56:16 PM

Quote from: msteelers on December 12, 2008, 03:45:53 PM

I have a very hard time imagining that sony would back out of the console market.

I thought that about Sega.  But I don't think I'll be worried about Sony's console side unless they make some stupid decisions on the direction of the PS4.

Did Nintendo not fail for two whole console generations with the N64 and Gamecube?  As in fail miserably?  Even then they did not exit the console market.  Why would Sony do so being one gen removed from the clear-cut winner?

Nintendo did not fail miserably. Nintendo 64 and Gamecube might not made much money as Super Nintendo but they still made good profit.

Also, as much as I love my XBOX360, I do like my PS3 and I would like SONY to try harder~
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 10:35:04 PM by biggercup » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 14, 2008, 11:24:36 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 14, 2008, 08:52:47 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on December 13, 2008, 05:08:28 PM

Keep in mind, the media loves a good sinking ship story.

Also, the PS3 has already sold quite a bit that are buying games as evidenced by PS3 games making it on sales charts.  It's not all doom and gloom, even thought Sony is definitely way behind.  All that really needs to happen is they need to lower manufacturing costs and lower the PS3 price accordingly to something that doesn't cost them.  Once they hit that point, the platform is on much more stable footing.

I think the Sony holiday line-up sucked this year. Next year is automatically much more awesome due to Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank.  I am very much looking forward to Xmas 09 and my PS3 a-rockin'!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 15, 2008, 02:15:59 AM »

From Gamasutra, the top 20:

Damn Dead Space wasn't even in the top 20 frown
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2008, 02:25:26 AM »

I wonder if that's because horror games are still more of a small market?  The game could have longer legs as word of mouth gets around.  I also see it as one of those games that would get buried under all the other holiday releases despite coming earlier.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 15, 2008, 03:02:58 AM »

I find it interesting that RB2 doesn't chart at all, but RB1 for the Wii does. Is RB2 doing badly? I read earlier this week that GHWT has already eclipsed RB2's sales by a lot even with RB2 coming out first, and I read that GHWT isn't performing as well as GH3 did. I think the constant supply of new music games (Hello Activision!) may be cooling fan interest in the genre. I know I haven't really been inclined to pick up either yet as I wait (forever) for them to drop in price.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 15, 2008, 03:09:01 AM »

Quote from: JCC on December 15, 2008, 03:02:58 AM

I find it interesting that RB2 doesn't chart at all, but RB1 for the Wii does. Is RB2 doing badly? I read earlier this week that GHWT has already eclipsed RB2's sales by a lot even with RB2 coming out first, and I read that GHWT isn't performing as well as GH3 did. I think the constant supply of new music games (Hello Activision!) may be cooling fan interest in the genre. I know I haven't really been inclined to pick up either yet as I wait (forever) for them to drop in price.

Yeah I wonder if that will make them wait on RB3 and the next GH game.  I seriously doubt they will, but it will be interesting to see.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2008, 07:38:46 PM »

Something that completely escaped me about November results when we were posting last week, and apparently everyone else, is that Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts bombed in the US. In fact it didn't even place in the NPD top 20; the 20th being Madden 09 at 184k. Considering how important a title it is to Microsoft in terms of them extending their market to a younger demographic that isn't good news. What's more shocking is that it sold so little in one of the strongest sales months for the 360 yet. Hopefully it's sales will pick up for December, but performing so badly in its debut month can't be good news for MS.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2008, 11:37:34 PM »

Uh, well MS hasn't done too well in the younger market at all, all their games end up being a bit too complex for the audience, but they do make great games to younger kids can watch you play.  Viva pinata is an example of that.  Not to mention their console was built on the Halo and Gears of War shooter crowd, it'll take more time to transition over to a more casual audience.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2008, 12:51:58 AM »

Yeah, I don't think there was much discussion over Banjo because frankly no one expected it to decently.  MS has been an utter failure at capturing the casual/family market and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Not only do they seem incapable of marketing to the demographic but the games themselves seem somewhat schizophrenic- both Banjo and Viva Pinata seem to have reputations that while their aesthetics are family friendly, the gameplay is far more complicated and aimed more at older audiences. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2008, 05:35:19 AM »

Quote from: JCC on December 15, 2008, 03:02:58 AM

I think most people here vastly underestimate the marketing power of the "Guitar Hero" name.  While many of us (correctly) feel that RB2 is the superior game, Joe Sixpack is buying GH just because of the game on the box.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2008, 03:20:35 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 21, 2008, 05:35:19 AM

I think most people here vastly underestimate the marketing power of the "Guitar Hero" name.  While many of us (correctly) feel that RB2 is the superior game, Joe Sixpack is buying GH just because of the game on the box.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2008, 08:24:11 AM »

I'd also add that it's difficult to explain why Rock Band is better.  It is, but explaining it gets kind of involved.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2008, 01:34:50 PM »

Quote from: JCC on December 21, 2008, 03:20:35 PM

Quote from: Gratch on December 21, 2008, 05:35:19 AM

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly.

A lot of those same people don't realize that Guitar Hero World Tour has drums and a microphone now, and still think it is just guitar.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 20, 2008, 07:38:46 PM

Something that completely escaped me about November results when we were posting last week, and apparently everyone else, is that Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts bombed in the US. In fact it didn't even place in the NPD top 20; the 20th being Madden 09 at 184k. Considering how important a title it is to Microsoft in terms of them extending their market to a younger demographic that isn't good news. What's more shocking is that it sold so little in one of the strongest sales months for the 360 yet. Hopefully it's sales will pick up for December, but performing so badly in its debut month can't be good news for MS.

MS's dropping several hundred million for Rare will go down as one of the biggest blunders in gaming for a long time. Yet they keep it open while closing down Ensemble who has made them truckloads of money with the 'Age of' series.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: