http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 08:55:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Notification of Enforcement Action  (Read 3917 times)
IkeVandergraaf
Gaming Trend Senior Member

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2008, 12:50:39 PM »

So this morning I get an email with the above subject line from [email protected].

Inappropriate Content

Do not respond to this email address. It is not monitored.

This email is to notify you that your Xbox Live account privileges have been suspended due to feedback received from other Xbox Live users about your inappropriate content on the service.  Additionally, Xbox Live has deleted the content in question.

You have been sent a message in the Xbox Live Dashboard notifying you when your suspension will end. During this suspension time, you will not be able to log into Xbox Live.  Your Xbox Live privileges will be automatically reinstated at the end of your suspension period. The length of a suspension is not announced by Xbox Customer Support and is subject to change without prior notice by Xbox Live.

Xbox Live expects that all customers abide by the Xbox Live Code of Conduct.  The Code of Conduct provides guidelines for appropriate behavior while playing on the Xbox Live service.  You can view the Code of Conduct from the Xbox Live Dashboard under Xbox Live Policies in Account Management, or by visiting http://www.xbox.com/live/legal/legal-tou.htm.  Your failure to abide by the Code of Conduct in the future may result in, among other things, longer suspension periods or cancellation of your account.

If you have any questions regarding the Xbox Live Code of Conduct, please contact Xbox Customer Support.

Thank you

Xbox Live Community Management team

As some of you may remember, I recently had a RRoD incident that took Microsoft about three weeks to rectify.  While I was without my 360, I changed my motto to "RRoD FTL!  F MS!".  Apparently this is the "inappropriate content" referred to, as my motto has been changed to "Code of Conduct".  I never changed it after my 360 came back because I was lazy, and ATB thought it was funny.  And as you know, if ATB thinks it's funny, it can't be inappropriate.

The suspension is only until tomorrow, and while it pains me to allow this to go unanswered, I just don't have the patience to yell at a drone who will only be able to tell me, "Well it says here that there was inappropriate content."

Anyway, I thought you all should know.  Fuck Microsoft.  I'm thinking of changing my motto to "Microsuck" or "I steal Windows".  Thoughts?  Comments?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 01:19:50 PM »

Yeah I think I knew that fell under their pathetically draconian list of COC violations-but a suspension? That's taking things too far and is straight bullshit. You need to call them up and make hell, and drop some Esquire while you are at it. I am as a big a MS fan as they get, but fuck that shit.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 01:43:16 PM »

I'm toying with the idea of suing them in small claims court for $0.16 (plus costs and fees).  It'd be worth the filing fee to get on the news sites.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 01:47:59 PM »

What's interesting is that (correct me if I'm wrong) if you got a different machine back from customer service then suspending you from logging into Live is also denying you from any XBLA games or DLC you would have obtained.  That hardly seems legitimate to me. 
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 02:09:11 PM »

Zow!

Goes to change his motto cause his says "360 RROD'd. C U Soon!"

It's probably the 'F MS' part that's causing the problem.

I've changed mine to:

"MS is Benevolent Love"

Perhaps I'll get a free month!
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 02:12:43 PM »

ATB FTW

Gamertag = IkeV
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 02:29:03 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on March 05, 2008, 02:12:43 PM

ATB FTW

ATB Fuck the What?!?   ban

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 02:52:46 PM »

Had a similar incident with Hotmail way back in the day.  My email address wouldn't take my password, which I was sure I was typing correctly.  I call Micro-New Dehli-Soft and talk to "Sam" (yea right) and he asks what I'm typing in for my password.  I tell him that is is more of a pass phrase...

My pass phrase was "FuckMicrosoftRightInTheAss" 

Turns out that they had recently put in a password length limiter and my password needed to be changed.  I changed it right then to "MSCanEatMe" and all was good...for 24 hours.

"Your account has been suspended for inappropriate conduct"

Don't think I've used Hotmail since.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 02:58:19 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 05, 2008, 02:29:03 PM

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on March 05, 2008, 02:12:43 PM

ATB FTW

ATB Fuck the What?!?   ban

I think the W is Whiteboyskim.

I may be mistaken.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 03:01:59 PM »

I think I'm bothered by the fact that Microsoft has 'time' to do these things, and yet punks saying the worst vulgarities I've ever heard over voice chat are completely ignored.

I hate xbox live.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 03:03:18 PM »

I hate xbox live.

QFT

Xbox Live is the largest collection of racist assholes I've ever encountered.  It blows my mind.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 03:04:35 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on March 05, 2008, 03:01:59 PM

I think I'm bothered by the fact that Microsoft has 'time' to do these things, and yet punks saying the worst vulgarities I've ever heard over voice chat are completely ignored.

I hate xbox live.

A-farking-men.  The vulgarity spewing 12-year-olds are the main reason I typically avoid XBL like the plague.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 03:11:19 PM »

I did give you feedback along the lines of "quitting early" and then sent in a notice saying you sent me a steamy message over Live...  ninja

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 03:33:02 PM »

Sorry, Ike - that's frustrating. frown

I think the difference between someone complaining about profile content and someone complaining about hate speech is pretty obvious - it's possible for some human to actually verify the former.  If anything, they shouldn't have done anything other than just request that you change it.  Argh.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 03:40:59 PM »

This is pretty sad.  I too wish Microassfuck would take some time and punish the racist pricks that pollute live, and quit worrying about stupid shit like a little slander against "The Man".

I was in a game of COD4 the other night, and there was a clan of southern sounding rednecks, that were spewing some of the worst racial slurs I've ever had the displeasure to hear.  I don't think they were kidding either.  It really takes away from the enjoyment, and if I was a member of the race that they were slamming.. probably would have been even more bothered by it.

I recognize freedom of speech etc, but it should be an all or none.  I know I can mute people.. but I shouldn't have to do it on a regular basis.  Part of the reason I prefer playing with people I know.

Oh, and if anyone hasn't experienced this yet.. fire up a game of RB6:Vegas.  You've been warned.

-1 Microsoft
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 03:42:36 PM by El-Producto » Logged

"Goonies never say die"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 03:49:17 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on March 05, 2008, 12:50:39 PM

Anyway, I thought you all should know.  Fuck Microsoft.  I'm thinking of changing my motto to "Microsuck" or "I steal Windows".  Thoughts?  Comments?

go for it!   I need an open spot on my friends list anyways  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 03:54:50 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on March 05, 2008, 03:40:59 PM

This is pretty sad.  I too wish Microassfuck would take some time and punish the racist pricks that pollute live, and quit worrying about stupid shit like a little slander against "The Man".

I was in a game of COD4 the other night, and there was a clan of southern sounding rednecks, that were spewing some of the worst racial slurs I've ever had the displeasure to hear.  I don't think they were kidding either.  It really takes away from the enjoyment, and if I was a member of the race that they were slamming.. probably would have been even more bothered by it.

I recognize freedom of speech etc, but it should be an all or none.  I know I can mute people.. but I shouldn't have to do it on a regular basis.  Part of the reason I prefer playing with people I know.

Oh, and if anyone hasn't experienced this yet.. fire up a game of RB6:Vegas.  You've been warned.

-1 Microsoft

The hard part is that MS can't monitor the voice chat...recording it would take gobs of storage, and might even constitute wiretapping, especially if you were playing with people in other countries.  So the only thing they can enforce are text messages and mottos and such...which sucks.  The downside is that I don't get to play live much, because I won't play with many people other than GT and OO'ers.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 03:56:14 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 05, 2008, 03:33:02 PM

I think the difference between someone complaining about profile content and someone complaining about hate speech is pretty obvious - it's possible for some human to actually verify the former.  If anything, they shouldn't have done anything other than just request that you change it.  Argh.

They could have people in their employ do it. It wouldn't be at all difficult. It would be a matter of firing up halo 3 and playing for about an hour to find one. Just go in anonymously (IE Not with the XBL handle 'Microsoft Bill') and catch people in the act.

Of course, that would require someone there actually caring about their job and the community they create.

It's not a matter of monitoring the voice chat. It's a matter of actually using their own service.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 03:56:31 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 05, 2008, 03:03:18 PM

I hate xbox live.

QFT

Xbox Live is the largest collection of racist assholes I've ever encountered.  It blows my mind.
I have to say I've run into people like that in most PC shooters I've tried to play online. People ask me why I don't use headsets more often, and I tend to say it's just easier to ignore people like that in text chat than it is in audio. Though I certainly can enjoy using them with in a small-medium team of people who didn't learn to cuss yesterday  disgust.

I agree a suspension seems excessive for something like that, given what else goes on in the online gaming world (regardless of platform).

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 04:26:33 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on March 05, 2008, 03:56:14 PM

Quote from: Brendan on March 05, 2008, 03:33:02 PM

They could have people in their employ do it. It wouldn't be at all difficult. It would be a matter of firing up halo 3 and playing for about an hour to find one. Just go in anonymously (IE Not with the XBL handle 'Microsoft Bill') and catch people in the act.

Of course, that would require someone there actually caring about their job and the community they create.

It's not a matter of monitoring the voice chat. It's a matter of actually using their own service.

Thousands of Microsoft employees use Xbox Live.  The whole reason the complaint system is beefed up in the 360 is because of user feedback from the first iteration of Xbox Live.  Microsoft has a vested interest in making things family friendly, which is why the parental controls and the default mute settings exist.  Do you file complaints (not feedback) when you hear this stuff?  I suspect and hope that the reason you haven't heard anyone on here complaining about being suspended for hate speech is because no one here, you know, would use that kind of language.  I'm sure there are forums where some of the less savory console owners are complaining that they were banned for unspecified obscenities (for example, half of the people sending mail to the old Bungie banhammer mailbag).  Everyone should make sure to file complaints when appropriate.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 04:55:06 PM »

I hate xbox live.

QFT

I will go a bit further:

<clears throat>

XBOX Live is the largest collection of ignorant, racist, intolerant, homophobic, sexist, stereotyping, egotistical, immature brats, I've ever encountered.

I cannot tell you how many times I have wanted to strangle some asshole on the other end of the system.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 05:02:21 PM »

-1 Microsoft

Please, for the love of God, can we get past the labeling of "Southern" people as rednecks? I have a Southern accent (though anyone that has talked to me will verify that it is hardly a drawl) and I get so sick and tired of being called a redneck (even though I am as far from being one as possible), just because of my geographical location or my accent. Rednecks are just as prevelent in Western Pennsylvania, as they are where I live in Tennessee.

The vast majority of people in the South are the complete opposite of the idiots you encountered, and I hear just as many people with a Northeastern or Midwestern accent throw around the "N" word or other slurs, as I do people with a Southern accent.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2008, 05:04:53 PM »

Quote from: jblank on March 05, 2008, 04:55:06 PM

I hate xbox live.

QFT

I will go a bit further:

<clears throat>

XBOX Live is the largest collection of ignorant, racist, intolerant, homophobic, sexist, stereotyping, egotistical, immature brats, I've ever encountered.

I cannot tell you how many times I have wanted to strangle some asshole on the other end of the system.

Please see the Internet Dickwad Theory:

http://www.pennyarcademerch.com/pat070381.html
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 05:09:13 PM »

LOL, thats pretty good Leo.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 05:34:07 PM »

Maybe they're dealing out these suspensions randomly to help lighten the load so Live stays up...?

TheMissingLink on PSN
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2008, 05:34:56 PM »

Quote from: jblank on March 05, 2008, 05:02:21 PM

-1 Microsoft

Please, for the love of God, can we get past the labeling of "Southern" people as rednecks? I have a Southern accent (though anyone that has talked to me will verify that it is hardly a drawl) and I get so sick and tired of being called a redneck (even though I am as far from being one as possible), just because of my geographical location or my accent. Rednecks are just as prevelent in Western Pennsylvania, as they are where I live in Tennessee.

The vast majority of people in the South are the complete opposite of the idiots you encountered, and I hear just as many people with a Northeastern or Midwestern accent throw around the "N" word or other slurs, as I do people with a Southern accent.

Sorry jblank... I meant nothing other than to enhance my description of the situation.  I'm Canadian, and I don't say eh! either.  slywink

"Goonies never say die"
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2008, 05:51:20 PM »

From Canada's viewpoint, y'all are southern, eh?

I use the feedback and complaint system. They should make it a minigame or something with achievements like "Mississippi Extinguished" - Reported at least 50 uses of the N-Word. Or "KKKlowning around" - had at least 10 racial complaints against you.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2008, 05:52:59 PM »

I don't know what rooms you go into- and yes I've run into quite a few idiots too- but I've bumped into a lot of really cool people- many of whom populate my friends list.

There is a mute feature for a reason.  There's also a file complaint option...
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2008, 05:58:46 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on March 05, 2008, 05:34:56 PM

-1 Microsoft

Sorry jblank... I meant nothing other than to enhance my description of the situation.  I'm Canadian, and I don't say eh! either.  slywink

No problem, I wasn't upset with you at all my friend, it's just a description/label that gets thrown around a lot on XBL, and it bugs me. You did nothing wrong.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on March 05, 2008, 05:34:56 PM

Sorry jblank... I meant nothing other than to enhance my description of the situation.  I'm Canadian, and I don't say eh! either.  slywink

Go back to your igloo and leave us alone!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2008, 06:22:14 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 05, 2008, 05:52:59 PM

There is a mute feature for a reason.  There's also a file complaint option...
++

Judicious use of both is a good (though not perfect) solution
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2008, 07:22:37 PM »

See I have the opposite problem . . . I live in Alabama (born and reared), but I talk so fast that I have been asked point blank, "Are you a Yankee?"  My favorite exp. was walking up to the counter in a fast food place, placing my order, then being asked by the cashier to repeat my order in English . . . ???

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2008, 07:41:06 PM »

I know ATB doesn't endorse it, but I'm saying the best way to use XBL is to only accept voice coms from people in your friends list.  I opened it up to all for 1 COD match and that was all it took for me to permanently change it back to friends only.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2008, 08:14:34 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 05, 2008, 07:41:06 PM

I know ATB doesn't endorse it, but I'm saying the best way to use XBL is to only accept voice coms from people in your friends list.  I opened it up to all for 1 COD match and that was all it took for me to permanently change it back to friends only.

Is that a global setting and if so how do you enable it?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2008, 08:17:19 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 05, 2008, 08:14:34 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on March 05, 2008, 07:41:06 PM

Is that a global setting and if so how do you enable it?

IIRC it's in your privacy settings and you set hear voice to friends only or something like that.  If that's totally off, I'll power up the xbox and check for sure.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2008, 08:43:19 PM »

-1 Microsoft

Historically the term Redneck originated from West Virginia coal miners. The Union went on Strike and they wore red scarfs around their neck as part of the strike. They even went so far as to take up arms and fight with mercenaries that the mine owners hired. Thus the striking miners became known as Red Necks.

So technically the term redneck shouldn't even apply to Southerners. Instead I prefer to call them "ignorant, slow, mouth breathing, racist, HONKEYS".  icon_smile JK.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2008, 12:02:14 AM »

Wow-that's just shocking.  I could understand if you had included something offensive or racist in your name, but simply making a comical statement about MS's console goes way over the line. Is America not a free country anymore?

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2008, 12:38:47 PM »

It's also stupid.  I can afford a PS3.  About the only thing keeping me from buying one is that I actually prefer the 360 multiplayer.  To suspend my account for a statement that is only offensive to Microsoft seems to alienate a good customer with no real gain to Microsoft.  For the first time I am considering the purchase of a PS3.

Gamertag = IkeV
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2008, 01:21:07 PM »

Sorry not my best work but I am an amateur and I gotta be getting to bed smile

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 01:23:31 PM by Canuck » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2008, 01:22:48 PM »

Thanks Ike. Now we have the SDF all hopeful.

I agree with the F* MS comment though; I'd call and bitch them out, old-man style.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: