http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 03:23:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not Buying Another XBOX Game  (Read 1313 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2005, 12:34:11 PM »

Until I play through my backlog slywink:

•  Jet Set Radio Future- 25/Dec/02 (The day I got my XBOX)
•  Panzer Dragoon Orta- Apr 03 (Gotta get in the mood for this)
•  Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds - 30/Nov/03 (First one was SO good)
•  Otogi: Myth of Demons- (supposed to be great)
•  Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge - Summer 04 (didn't grab me when I tried it out)
•  Metal Arms Glitch in the System- September 04 (can't wait to play it)
•  Fable- November 04 (may play through KOTOR II again before embarking on another RPG, so it's gonna be a while before I play through this one)
•  Prince of Persia II: Warrior Within- January 20 05 (SOT was a masterpiece)
•  Mercenaries- January 28 2005 (next on my hit list)

Right now I'm playing Psi Ops and replaying through NBA Street Vol 2.

This rash vow is tough considering my top five wants list:

1.  Jade Empire
2. Brothers in Arms
3.  Psychonauts
4.  Star Wars: Republic Commando
5.  NBA Street Vol. 3
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 01:13:11 PM »

You are not alone ATB:thumbsup

I'm currently absorbed in Knights of the Old Republic 2 (42 hrs in & still on first planet - Dantooine & just finished sublevel of enclave - no lightsaber yet).  I want it to last.  In addition, I'm 55 games into my NHL2K5 Islanders season, which I have to finish before baseball spring training.

On the assembly line are:

1.  Mercenaries (NEW)
2.  Legend of Zelda:  Four Swords (NEW)
3.  Ratchet & Clank 1 (NEW)
4.  Otogi 2 (NEW)
5.  Ninja Gaiden (currently on Level 4)
6.  Gladius (currently approx. 60 hrs in)
7.  Star Ocean 3 (currently approx. 23 hrs in)
8.  Paper Mario Thousand Year Door (currently on Chapter 2)
9.  Prince of Persia:  Sands of Time (currently approx. 5 hrs in)

I must complete some of these before Jade Empire comes out in March.  I don't think I can do it though.  I don't know how people can finish a game in a week.  It usually takes me months!  However, I won't make a promise to not purchase any more games.  Bring 'em on! biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 03:00:20 PM »

You call that a backlog? (oh this is a list of games I own but have never even insterted into my system, if we want; to count games I didn't really get into but may yet one day, the list gets a lot longer slywink )

XBOX backlog:
Auto Modellista
Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance 2
Bloodrayne 2
Brotherhood of Steel
Colin McRae Rally 2004
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
Ghost Recon
Ghost Recon: Island Thunder
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Hunter the Reckoning
Hunter the Reckoning: Redeemer
Indiana Jones and the Emperors
Jet Set Radio Future
Kingdom Under Fire
Kung Fu Chaos
Lord of the Rings: The Return
Lord of the Rings: The Two Tow
Manhunt
Metal Gear Solid 2
Midway Arcade Treasures
NFL 2K5
Ninja Gaiden
Oddworld: Munchs Odyssey
Otogi: Myth of Demons
Outlaw Golf 2
Outlaw Volleyball: Red Hot
R: Racing Evolution
Rallisport Challenge
Sega GT 2002
Sega GT Online
Sega Soccer Slam
Silent Hill 2
Urbz: Sims in the City
X-men Legends

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 03:26:52 PM »

Man, you guys are nuts.  I hardly have anything on my backlog.  Then again, it's really not that often that I play a game all the way through.  I usually play something until I get bored with it, then either put it aside or trade it in.  Right now I've got:

-  KotOR 2 (25 hours.  Just got to Iziz.)
-  Theif DS (I'm on that stupid zombie boat level. Man, I hate zombies in that game!)
-  Tales of Symphonia (just picked it up the other day.  Haven't tried it yet.)
-  Pirates!

I was also 22 hours into Baten Kaitos, but it got boring so it's getting traded in this afternoon.  Of course, all of these get put aside when Xenosaga II comes out on the 15th.  smile

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 03:32:38 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
•  Fable- November 04 (may play through KOTOR II again before embarking on another RPG, so it's gonna be a while before I play through this one)

Just my opinion, but Fable will not reach the love you have for KOTOR2.  In fact, the game is crap.  I know there are people out there who like it, but any RPG that you can conceivably beat in 8 hours (I did this) is not an RPG in my mind.  I had no wish to do any side quests because the game doesn't make you feel as immersed in the land as you probably should.  I personally would trade it in toward something that is better.  Remember, this is just my opinion though.

Quote from: "Stardrifter"
I must complete some of these before Jade Empire comes out in March

Don't worry, you have until April 14th, the solid date Microsoft gave yesterday.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 03:52:09 PM »

Playing or to be played:
  • Mercenaries (done with one suit)
  • Metal Arms (finished 25 levels and this one is great)
  • X-Men Legends (fun pickup game that's been replaced by Mercenaries right now)
  • KOTOR II (barely started it)
  • Chronicles of Riddick (I even enjoyed the director's cut movie)
  • Full Spectrum Warrior
  • Burnout 3 (I'll finish the crashes but not the racing, that's what PGR2 is for)
Upcoming releases:
1. Brothers in Arms
2. Jade Empire
3. Psychonauts
4. Star Wars: Republic Commando
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 04:31:48 PM »

coopansonic -

Two games on your list:  Kung Fu Chaos & Grabbed by the Ghoulies were both an absolute blast to play!  The reviews pretty much trashed them, but I found them very addicting.  I finished Kung Fu Chaos and I'm almost done with Grabbed by the Ghoulies.

AgtFox - Thanks for the heads up on the Jade Empire release date.  Now I have an extra month to try and make more progress!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 05:23:36 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

Just my opinion, but Fable will not reach the love you have for KOTOR2.  In fact, the game is crap.  I know there are people out there who like it, but any RPG that you can conceivably beat in 8 hours (I did this) is not an RPG in my mind.  I had no wish to do any side quests because the game doesn't make you feel as immersed in the land as you probably should.  I personally would trade it in toward something that is better.  Remember, this is just my opinion though.

Personally, I think your enjoyment of Fable will depend solely on your expectations going in.  If you expect a deep, epic, revolutionary, engrossing game (as most people did) then you will be horribly dissapointed.  If you expect a lighthearted, fun, hack-n-slash (as I did) then you might enjoy it quite a bit.

Just don't read anything Moleneaux himself says about the game and you'll be just fine.  slywink

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 06:16:10 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
Quote from: "AgtFox"

Personally, I think your enjoyment of Fable will depend solely on your expectations going in.  If you expect a deep, epic, revolutionary, engrossing game (as most people did) then you will be horribly dissapointed.  If you expect a lighthearted, fun, hack-n-slash (as I did) then you might enjoy it quite a bit.

Just don't read anything Moleneaux himself says about the game and you'll be just fine.  slywink

I have no expectations.  So I should be fine.  I never read any pre-hype about any game that's in development.  I don't read exhaustive previews unless they're in OXM, I don't read threads dedicated to it. I don't do any intel at all.

If I see a game that I think I'll  like I do a quick review check (never reading much for fear of spoilers), run out and trade for or buy it if it rates semi well and more often than not love it.

Using this 'system', of the 34 games I've played on XBOX, I've rated 16 of them A- or higher.  That's pretty aweseome in my book.

People who get wrapped around the axle for a new game are crazy. How is it possible that any game doesn't disappoint them (not a snipe at Agtfox but a pondering re: gamers in general)...
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 07:00:02 PM »

The thing with Fable is that I didn't have any preconceived notions about the game.  I knew, given Molyneaux's past, that there was no way the game would live up to the BS he spewed from his mouth building up to the release...it just wasn't going to happen.  I happen to be a Molyneaux fan, but I know he tends to overexaggerate between ideas and final product.

However, when I think of an RPG I think of a game that is longer than 8 hours to beat, has a deep story and will at least immerse you into the world.  Those are just a few things I look for...Fable didn't hit any of them.  There was nothing to push me toward doing side quests.

If you want to take Fable as an Action RPG (ala Diablo, Zelda, etc.  Games I would consider part of the category...light on RPG elements, but the elements are there) it failed in that respect as well when put up against the best (and even the middle) of this genre.

These are just my opinions though...just wanted to broaden them out a little.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: