http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 06:44:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No surprise announcements this year?  (Read 401 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2005, 10:03:41 PM »

Ok so three new consoles....is that it?  I want surprise announcements and I get nothing!!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 10:08:50 PM »

Glad you started this topic because I've been thinking the same thing.

It seems like every year the first day of E3 brings tons of new game announcements, including both sequels and new IPs.  So far I haven't encountered anything of significance that wasn't already announced before the show.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 10:31:24 PM »

I didn't necessarily expect any.  Years where new systems are shown off tend to be of the non-surprise variety outside of the systems themselves.  If there were surprises they probably would have been announced early on today via Press Release...I haven't seen much outside of:

Stranglehold for PS3 and Xbox 360 (at least) - John Woo directs and Chow Yun Fat stars in an action game coming in 2007 from Midway

Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood - although this was known to be coming, I am surprised it will be out before the end of the year

MGS4 and MGA2 unveiled (well, MGS4 "trailer" probably wasn't shown with PS3 technology)

Alan Wake (Gamespot's reaction to showing) and Prey (Gamespot's reaction) shown in ATI booth - these look nice, although Prey's showing is not anywhere I've seen as of yet

I am a bit surprised that Blizzard didn't announce a new game, but that's covered in another thread.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 10:36:53 PM »

Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood - although this was known to be coming, I am surprised it will be out before the end of the year

UbiSoft really knows how to milk their franchises. I'm suprised that they aren't worried about the Tomb Raider effect, especially for their Tom Clancy titles. Is anyone really looking forward to the next Rainbow Six?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 10:38:42 PM »

Not me, but there are plenty of UbiSoft sequels I am looking forward to...BiA, PoP, Ghost Recon 3, Myst V: End of Ages (*sniff*).  You're right though, they are milking them quite a bit...however so are many other companies...heh.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 11:13:57 PM »

I think the difference with Ubi is that they still do a good job at keeping up the quality.  Chaos Theory was so fantastic that I have no problem with one Splinter Cell game per year if they're as good as that.

And right now Ghost Recon 3 is probably getting the biggest buzz of the 360 launch lineup so I imagine Ubi is thrilled with that.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 12:56:59 AM »

Wading through the PR, it sounds like everything *big* was announced on day one, with the subsequent announcements just adding details and screens.

Having just gone through the mountain of Konami PR touting all their sequels I'm starting to wonder if anybody will bother with original ideas next year.

I don't want to complain too much because there is usually a reason we have sequels, but I'd certainly like to see more original stuff coming.  Then again, when you plow through the PR all day the games tend to run together.

Ubisoft's stuff looks stellar.  I'd like to see EA work to give their vast catalogue of franchises the care Ubisoft is showing instead of just pumping out the annual sequel.  However, with the sales EA can generate just by throwing a license on the box I wonder if it is even worth the effort...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 07:25:58 AM »

It's a pretty weak year, that's for sure.  Usually we see lot's of pre-E3 announcements as well, but not much there either this year.  I assumed the floodgates would open when the new consoles were officially unveiled, but even there it's all about sequels and games we already knew were coming.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 01:14:00 PM »

I think the Mini Gameboy was a bit of a surprise. Most had suspected that a new, upgraded Gameboy would be released at the end of the year, not just a different version of the current GB.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 06:24:01 PM »

There's a rumor that Nintendo and Retro (makers of the Metroid Prime games) are going to announce a major new FPS for the Revolution today.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 06:44:42 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

UbiSoft really knows how to milk their franchises. I'm suprised that they aren't worried about the Tomb Raider effect, especially for their Tom Clancy titles. Is anyone really looking forward to the next Rainbow Six?

I would be if it was on the PC and had co-op.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: