http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 10:42:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: How do you feel about 'Rumbling' controllers?
I love to Rumble! - 23 (60.5%)
I hate the Rumble! - 3 (7.9%)
Ehh...s'okay. - 12 (31.6%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Rumble....No Problem?  (Read 857 times)
Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 27, 2006, 04:10:43 PM »

Sony and Immersion seem to be at odds with how much (or how little) consumers care about rumbling/vibrating controllers. This very scientific poll  icon_lol will end the debate once and for all!

Laner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 04:13:16 PM »

I'm a fan of rumble... if done well, it's not blatantly obvious, but adds a lot to the overall experience.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 04:18:27 PM »

It's okay.  Totally depends on the game.  I don't want my controller to rumble every time I get tackled in a sports game, for instance.  But if it lets me know when something important is about to happen in, say, a stealth game, or if I'm getting shot from behind in an FPS and I'm not totally aware of it yet, it's a boost.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 04:18:55 PM »

For myself, I thought it was a nice little gimmick when it first came out, but since then it's become very much a part of the gaming experience. I enjoy having another indicator that I'm being pummelled...perhaps not totally necessary, but it does makes it seem all that much more anxious to remove yourself from danger when there's a physical (along with visual of course) sense with it.

The downside is of course, the controller will cost another $5 or $10 (only a very rough estimate from me, feel free to correct or add your own estimation).

The lack of it wouldn't stop me from buying a Ps3....but I would indeed miss it. Plus, if I'm totally on the fence, I suppose that could tip me off.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 04:22:01 PM »

I turn rumble off in 99% of my games.  I find it more annoying than helpful.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 04:27:31 PM »

I love rumble.  From smack of getting sacked to the budda-budda of a sub-machine gun it just draws me in to the games.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 04:56:05 PM »

I don't care.  I find it useless, but sometimes entertaining.  More often than not, I wouldn't notice if it was missing.

Force feedback, on the other hand, is important.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 05:11:29 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 27, 2006, 04:56:05 PM

More often than not, I wouldn't notice if it was missing.

Agreed. I enjoy it in games where it's implemented well, but don't know that I'll care that much if it's not in a game.

I do like the feature rather a lot, but it's quite low on the list of requirements for me in things I like in a game.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 05:39:58 PM »

I generally have always enjoyed rumble, but can't imagine why anyone would not buy a PS3 due to it not being there. 95% of all my gamecube playing has been done on a wavebird - which doesn't have rumble. It didn't break any games, although I always enjoyed having it the other 5% of the time.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 06:30:31 PM »

I pretty much always have it off, rumble punishes batteries of wireless controllers. If I'm using a wired controller I don't mind it as long as it isn't used constantly.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 06:36:43 PM »

Been a rumble user, always a rumble user. I find it useful and a great way to draw you into the game.

And where would you be for games like Rez where rumble is pretty much a requirement?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 04:25:26 AM »

I'd love for there to be a game that made the controller rumble ALL the time, even if you were in the main menu..... icon_twisted

honestly, I thought that I couldn't live without rumbling, but since switching to the wavebird, I don't really think about it. 
Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 06:06:06 AM »

Hmm....I wasn't aware there was a difference.
Please explain to the uneducated...i.e. me. retard

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 01:35:56 PM »

Quote from: Wolves on September 28, 2006, 06:06:06 AM

Hmm....I wasn't aware there was a difference.
Please explain to the uneducated...i.e. me. retard

if your joystick were to have resistance rather than having the controller vibrate. If you were playing a flight sim and as you pulled back on the controller and it resisted due to the "forces" on your plane, that would be force feedback.

Rumble *can be* force feedback. Look at splinter cell's lockpick as an example.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 01:42:14 PM »

I think it's important but not as important as some critics have been making it sound.
I definitely dont buy into Sony's "We cant have rumble AND tilt" and going on to say it'd ruin a flying game. (Immersion already proved them wrong on that)

The great thing about rumble has always been that's it been an option, those of us that like it, can use it, and those who don't, just turn it off. So having it there is a win-win situation.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: