http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 12:41:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No online Wii games until next year?  (Read 1058 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2006, 10:06:10 PM »

According to Shacknews late night consoling for anyone who missed it (taken from IGN) there won't be any third party online games for the Wii until next year.

Gamers hoping for an online component, however, are in for bad news, because one isn't planned. Activision would not say why, but IGN has separately learned from multiple development sources that Nintendo will not release Wii Wi-Fi Connection libraries to third parties until early 2007, which means that no third party launch title will have an online mode.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/728/728041p1.html

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 10:23:01 PM »

Perhaps the libraries won't be finalized in time? Hopefully once the libraries are available we'll be able to download patches for various games to enable online play.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 12:36:21 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on August 26, 2006, 10:23:01 PM

Hopefully once the libraries are available we'll be able to download patches for various games to enable online play.

Dream on.

Don't worry, I'm sure they will be happy to sell you an online-enabled sequel a few months later.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 01:19:46 AM »

Online multiplayer is of little imprtance to me. I just want there to be a healthy library of classics available online at launch. Especially SUPER METROID~!

The article doesn't say that Nintendo's stuff won't be online, but then again, I know Metroid isn't going to have multi-player, and I doubt Zelda will. Are there any other 1st party games at launch?  icon_biggrin

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 02:55:28 AM »

I read that none of the 1st party launch games will be online either.  If that is true personally won't be buying a Wii at launch.  No HD and no online multiplayer would kill it for me.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 04:04:22 AM »

Not this E3 but the last one didn't Nintendo promise that Smash Brothers would be a launch title and that it would be playable online?   Oh well, I guess Nintendo's no different than the other two.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 05:14:38 AM »

At E3 2005 I think they did say that Smash would be a launch title. At E3 2006 they announced it would not be a launch title. I think they do still claim it will have online multiplayer.

-John

stuntgibbon
Game Dev
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 08:01:05 PM »

I got the idea Smash Bros. wasn't going to be ready 'til march or april.  (but that it would have online)

I think right at launch, the online stuff will be limited to VC downloads and maybe some of those more subtle WiiConnect24 features.  (the overnight download for first party)
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 09:23:32 PM »

I haven't been paying much attention to the Wii online stuff, but how exactly is their Virtual Console thing going to work without a hard drive?  Are users going to have to be online and download the game to RAM every time they want to play it?  Does this mean that they will be limiting the size of games to those which are very quickly downloadable and can be held wholely in memory?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 09:51:11 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 27, 2006, 09:23:32 PM

I haven't been paying much attention to the Wii online stuff, but how exactly is their Virtual Console thing going to work without a hard drive?  Are users going to have to be online and download the game to RAM every time they want to play it?  Does this mean that they will be limiting the size of games to those which are very quickly downloadable and can be held wholely in memory?

IIRC, the Wii comes with 512 MB of flash memory
stuntgibbon
Game Dev
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 11:36:37 PM »

Same way it works on your cell phone, really.   You pay for the rights to the game, so if you need to clear to make room it's pretty easy. (then redownload when you want to play, these old games are super small) Can also expand with SD cards.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 02:29:15 AM »

Quote from: stuntgibbon on August 27, 2006, 11:36:37 PM

Same way it works on your cell phone, really.   You pay for the rights to the game, so if you need to clear to make room it's pretty easy. (then redownload when you want to play, these old games are super small) Can also expand with SD cards.

It would make the most sense if it worked this way (like how Live works now).

Random thought - the biggest SNES game that I can find info on was 4MB (or 16Mb), although I thought there were a few 32Mb (or 8MB) games released. You can fit quite a few SNES titles onto that 512MB storage. Heck - your average NES game was 128k.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 02:33:19 AM »

I don't know if Nintendo has specifically addressed this yet. In theory, being able to redownload stuff would be nice. There is defintiely an SD card slot for memory expansion. There are also 2 USB ports, but I am not sure if we know how those can be used yet. (hard drive maybe?)

-John

stuntgibbon
Game Dev
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 03:47:18 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 28, 2006, 02:29:15 AM

Quote from: stuntgibbon on August 27, 2006, 11:36:37 PM

It would make the most sense if it worked this way (like how Live works now).

Random thought - the biggest SNES game that I can find info on was 4MB (or 16Mb), although I thought there were a few 32Mb (or 8MB) games released. You can fit quite a few SNES titles onto that 512MB storage. Heck - your average NES game was 128k.

Correct, those old games were super small.  You're probably more likely to fill your 512 up with downloads and saves for your newer games.  I predict Nintendo will release a transfer system to let you save/play your bought VC content on your DS.   Buy an old Zelda or Bonk or something, and run off with it.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 04:19:23 AM »

I believe the SNES games were 4, 6, etc. megabits, rather than megabytes.  I think even N64 games would probably only take 10 MB or less.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 04:39:03 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 28, 2006, 04:19:23 AM

I believe the SNES games were 4, 6, etc. megabits, rather than megabytes.  I think even N64 games would probably only take 10 MB or less.

well here we got a free zelda disc with the gamecube,on the disc it had the first 2 zeldas from nes era and then ocarina of time and majoras mask that originally came out for the N64,those two games were and still are massive...even the DS version of mario 64(with extras) is now on the tiniest little game cartridge,lol...goes to show how far it has all come

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006, 10:40:41 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 28, 2006, 04:19:23 AM

From what I could find...

NES
Legend of Zelda 131 kb
Adventures of Link 245 kb

Gameboy Color
Zelda DX 1 MB
Oracle of Ages 1 MB
Oracle of Seasons 1 MB

Super NES
A Link to the Past 1 MB

Gameboy Advance
Four Swords 8.3 MB
Minish Cap 16.7 MB

N64
Ocarina of Time 33.5 MB
Majora's Mask 33.5 MB

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 02:54:58 AM »

Back to the original topic, I'm fine with no online in the beginning.
I normally don't play online anyway, and when I do, it's when I'm otherwise bored with the game.....however....not having it for Call of Duty 3 ever(since it's a 3rd party launch title) will indeed suck ass. Throw in a decent LAN set-up and I'll be happy though.  icon_twisted

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: