http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 12:13:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PS3/PC]Resident Evil 6  (Read 3902 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2012, 11:35:50 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 04, 2012, 07:23:48 AM

I know this is only a demo,but it has pretty much had the most screen tear i have seen in a game

Result!!

Capcom is aware of the screen-tearing issues widely-reported in the Resident Evil 6 demo, and is working on a fix.
Capcom Unity community manager Brett Elston hosted two segments of new Resident Evil 6 gameplay on Twitch TV last night.

During the webcast he discussed the screen-tearing issue.
"Xbox 360 screen-tearing has been noticed, and is being worked upon," Elston said. "I'm not sure if it's sorted in the build here [at San Diego Comic-Con] but it's being looked into."

Those who played the Resident Evil 6 demo - available now on Xbox 360 for Dragon's Dogma owners - widely reported the screen-tear problem.

"RE6 updates the frame with no respect to v-sync at all, meaning the framebuffer is flipped at will, resulting in almost ever-present screen-tear," Rich Leadbetter wrote in his analysis of the Resident Evil 6 demo on Digital Foundry.

"The most annoying aspect of this is that the tear-line has a habit of consistently manifesting right in the middle of the screen, exactly where the player is going to notice it most."

New Comic-Con footage in the link,and they also say they will "Spill the Beans" on the Ada campaign rumours soon

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2012, 04:13:18 PM »

oh yeah, that's right, I could grab the demo now if I wanted to.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2012, 09:21:46 AM »

DLC hitting 360 first

I was so-so about getting this,i think i will wait for the Gold release like they did with Resi 5

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2012, 05:18:40 PM »

Eurogamer

Brand new demo to download 18th September for everybody,not just Dragons Dogma owners

Capcom has promised that the demo will be different to the one unlocked for Xbox 360 Dragon's Dogma owners earlier this year.

The structure of the new trial sounds similar, however. Players will get to sample a level from three of the game's single-player campaigns.

Leon S. Kennedy's section will take players to the zombie-infested grounds of Ivy University, while Jake and Sherry Birkin fight mutants in China. Chris Redfield and his BSAA squad battle BOWs in Eastern Europe.

Meanwhile, PlayStation 3 owners of Dragon's Dogma will finally be able to download their version of the first demo from tomorrow.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2012, 05:47:56 AM »

What the hell... Steam says the PC version comes out in 2013?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2012, 06:39:05 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 26, 2012, 05:47:56 AM

What the hell... Steam says the PC version comes out in 2013?

Yeah, it's apparently going to be ported in the same way as Resident Evil 5, to be released at a later date than the 360 and PS3-versions.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »

reviews are seeping out

Eurogamer-6
The game represents a tremendous amount of effort and investment and, for those impressed by such things, Resident Evil 6 may delight. But all the effort in the world won't make up for a lack of vision. This game is blind to imagination and focus. Capcom's uncertainty about the series' identity post-Mikami (and post-Uncharted) is hardcoded into its structure: four campaigns offering different, flawed expressions of that potential. And the inevitable price for this wavering is a lack of coherence. Resident Evil 6 is an unwieldy tribute to the series' past, an uneven expression of its present and an unwelcome indication of its future.

Gamespot-45
The Good
Intriguing narrative structure   Great voice acting and action-packed cutscenes draw you into the story.
The Bad
Loads of bad, overlong quick-time events   Excruciating overemphasis on mediocre set piece events   Ruins the pace by constantly ripping control from you   Poorly executed scripted events lead to unavoidable deaths.

OXM-80
Resident Evil 6 is solid, challenging, and at moments outright amazing, but razzle-dazzle Hollywood production never quite masks a subtle, intangible lack of focus and pacing that pervades its formidable spread of content. If you can experience its action-tastic, gore-stained highs with a friend, though, this horror-shooter opus presents an offer (and a value) thatís impossible to resist.

Edge-6
In always trying to offer something more, Resident Evil 6 fails to refine what it has already given you. And whatever else you might say about the game, it achieves something that its predecessor never did: it steps out of Resident Evil 4ís shadow and becomes its own game. Sadly, itís a game that redefines the series as a loose collection of action scenarios with a shared theme of mild sci-fi horror

GamesTM-7
Thereís certainly no denying the argument that Resident Evil 6 represents great value for money. The single-player content alone represents a hefty package before you even throw in the likes of Mercenaries mode (now open from the start) or the Dark Souls-inspired Agent Hunt mode, but this vast quantity and variety comes at the cost of consistent quality. There are moments in Resident Evil 6 that peak as high as the very best games in Resident Evil history, but there are so many more that settle for mediocrity or much, much worse.

CVG-8
Can't be faulted for content, and better with a friend, but feels like diminishing returns - what's left is a good shooter that's long abandoned survival horror.

EDIT:

IGN-7.9
Evolution and ambition are only natural for a franchise as old as Resident Evil, as is the need to respect a long-lasting legacy and the fans that have come to appreciate it. But in trying to serve all masters, Resident Evil 6 loses focus and fails to accurately assess which of its elements are truly worthy of being included. When this game is at its height, it sets new standards for the series in every way. Unfortunately, there are no shortage of lows either, taking what could have been an excellent experience and making it something considerably lesser.

GameInformer-8.75
Over the years, the tone of the Resident Evil series has morphed from a George Romero horror flick to Michael Bay summer blockbuster. That metamorphosis into insane action is front and center in Resident Evil 6, and bringing a buddy along for the chaos is great fun. The gameís minor flaws donít hold back the decadent experience from being an unhinged, flaming rollercoaster ride.

360a.org-77
Resident Evil 6 is a truly immense RE title that succeeds as a third-person action shooter, but falls flat on its face as a survival horror game. Yes, times have changed, but if Dead Space can still provide a good balance of scares and set-pieces, then why can't Resi? Here's hoping that Capcom sees the next-generation of consoles as a golden opportunity to take Resident Evil back to its roots. Or perhaps a reboot is in order. Until then, Resident Evil 6 is certainly not a bad game by any means, just a bit of a disappointment. Nonetheless, it'll still get its slimy hooks into you if you let it.

OPM-7
The boss fights are the main area where the stories also cross over. Itís a nice idea, but the reality is youíre simply replaying the same bit again. A small section of Chris and Leonís missions appear to be repeated verbatim because itís not clear theyíre happening at the same time in identical rooms. You play
the same identical corridor bit and room full of robo-mines twice. And, for a brief moment, the roomís inexplicably under six inches of water, then isnít again.

Despite all this, the game just about averages out to the good through volume and variety. As well as the basic shooting, there are puzzles, chases, fighter-jet sequences Ė a huge array of tonal variation. If youíre going to sink 40 quid into something, this certainly gives you your moneyís worth, and when itís going
well this is a competent and rewarding adventure. But it can just as easily swing off into a Dragonís Lair-style QTE section or an overly long, bland shooting tunnel.

1up-C+
RE6 delivers great graphics, but visuals can only drive an experience so far, and it doesn't take much to see the gameplay compromises made in the name of accessibility. To their credit, the developers have iterated on a survival horror concept and turned it into an inclusive and competently-made cooperative action game, but the end result feels far removed from the series' roots.

Destuctoid-3(and yeah,that's out of 10)
It's bad enough that the game -- at its very best -- is so pedestrian, but to screw up in areas that even third-rate shooters manage to get right is something Capcom should find degrading. It's not enough to say that Resident Evil 6 is poor as a Resident Evil game. That alone implies there could be a quality experience if fans can get past their preconceptions and feelings of betrayal. No, Resident Evil 6 is poor by the standards of any game, not just the high ones set by its own legacy. This is unexceptional tripe that becomes insulting once the woeful missteps come into play. Resident Evil 6 is not just a step back for the series, it's a step back for commonplace, unassuming action-shooters.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 03:58:41 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2012, 03:42:51 PM »

Well, crap.

It sounds like I'm waiting for a big price drop now.

Even though it as something I liked about the demo, it was always the risk that the broken narrative structure would break the gameplay.  And that adding too much would mean not enough polishing on the things that mattered.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2012, 04:03:28 PM »

the scores are pretty much all over the place,even the few i have just added are from a 3/10 to a 8.75...and Resi games will always have its fans,but i was waiting anyway icon_confused

That Destructoid closing paragraph is quite alarming though

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2012, 06:47:24 PM »

I wonder if anyone has looked at the correlation between a game's Gamestop's pre-order #s and GameInformer's review score (or perhaps more informative, the ratio of a game's GameInformer's review : overall Metacritic score).
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2012, 08:04:19 PM »

Bummer.  Oh well, one less game to buy at full price.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2012, 10:10:16 PM »

This sounds just.... horrible. This may have people longing for RE5 which we all were disappointed with! smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2012, 02:38:40 AM »

The Situation:-CVG gave Resident Evil 6 an 8/10,however in the review they state that the game is not worth full price,this lead to a lot(about 7 pages worth!!) of complaints in the Comments section,until a member of staff (Associate Editor)posted....and agreed with the Comments icon_lol

he did go on to explain that the reviewer was a freelance journalist and he also laid down the law a little and suggested certain people should leave the site(and he names them as well)
http://forums.computerandvideogames.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=142732&start=60#p2200949

it's been quite an entertaining read Tongue
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:40:20 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2012, 06:31:55 AM »

Quote from: Laner on October 01, 2012, 08:04:19 PM

Bummer.  Oh well, one less game to buy at full price.

Or ever for me... Fine by me!
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2012, 06:34:35 PM »

There's nothing I hate more than the over use of quick time events, especially when they involve super human button tapping requirements. RE 4 and 5 used them but didn't over do it, but it sounds like 6 is far worse with their use.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2012, 09:40:23 PM »

Quote from: JCC on October 01, 2012, 10:10:16 PM

This sounds just.... horrible. This may have people longing for RE5 which we all were disappointed with! smile

I played it co-op and wasn't dissapointed with it at all. It wasn't the stellar quality of RE4, or as much of a survival horror games as earlier entries, but still an excellent adventure-action game.

From what I've read from some reviews, I think the explanation for scores for 6 being all over the place are that the production quality is over the top, but the cutscenes drag it down. I personally loved the cutscenes in RE 4 Wii and enjoyed them for the most part in RE5, but 6 sounds like it's set a new bar in over playing them. Oh well, another co-op game to enjoy when it's cheaper.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:42:30 PM by kronovan » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2012, 01:02:39 AM »

Yeah, I plan to get this when it's on sale for the PC or PS3, then play it only in co-op mode.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2012, 10:03:23 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on October 01, 2012, 06:47:24 PM

I wonder if anyone has looked at the correlation between a game's Gamestop's pre-order #s and GameInformer's review score (or perhaps more informative, the ratio of a game's GameInformer's review : overall Metacritic score).

From what I've heard of Resident Evil 6, I don't think I would enjoy it nearly as much as Game Informer does.

In terms of corruptibility, though, Tim Turi makes Dick Tracy look like Anakin Skywalker.  If that man lent his name to a score of 8.75, then come rapture or damnation, that's precisely what he believes.

-Autistic Angel
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2012, 11:26:46 PM »

Well NZGamer gave it a 9.5

http://nzgamer.com/x360/reviews/1731/resident-evil-6.html
Something thatís painfully obvious from the moment you load up RE6 is that Capcom are trying something new here; there are changes to almost everything fans of the series may hold dear - even the classic Resident Evil pre-menu screen. The enemy types are new, there are some new characters, and there are some new villains; none of this is a bad thing. The only things that needs to be toned down are the QTE sequences. Yes, everyone is doing them, and they've been in the series since RE4, but it can be incredibly frustrating to trial-and-error your way through a whole scene because of them.

If you were left wanting in RE5 thereís a good chance RE6 will satisfy you. Thereís a reason youíre being fired at, there are plenty of tense moments and stress, the storytelling is superb, and ďzombiesĒ make a return. Resident Evil 6 isn't perfect but itís still a game that everyone should own.

As one of the comments says,because of the massive range of scores from 4 to a 9.5,it could actually be one of those try it yourself and decide kind of games

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2012, 04:30:51 AM »

I believe a lot of the negative reviews are coming from people with a strong opinion about what a Resident Evil game should be. You can identify those reviews by looking for comments about the game being not scary or that it contains too much action.

I've played a bit of Leon's campaign so far, and it's very entertaining. It's got a different pace than we're used to, because the controls are now more like what people claimed they wanted in RE5. You no longer feel like a tank but actually have some mobility in combat, and you can move and shoot at the same time. Fighting zombies is fun, and while it looks easy in videos, when you're actually there and have to conserve your ammo, taking them down can be much harder than you'd think. Playing on Normal it seems you can kill all the enemies you encounter if you wish, though you'll often be low on ammo. So far the campaign seems built to allow you to run past many encounters however, which is appropriate when facing zombies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2012, 09:17:31 PM »

Man, I know the Resident Evil games tend to be pretty lengthy, but RE6 is positively huge! I've been playing for two evenings now (2-3 hours each), and I'm still on chapter 2 in Leon's campaign. There are 4 campaigns, with 5 chapters each. Yeah, this is going to take some time.

I'm starting to see what the low reviews have gotten hung up on, or so I think. RE4 and 5 both had slow controls and small environments, but it compensated by making your enemies slow as well and your aim pretty precise. RE6 has fast(ish) controls, retains the small environments, and has fast enemies and lousy aim. The result is that many battles end up feeling like total chaos, as if you haven't got any control over it. If you imagine the early defense set pieces from both the previous games (in the villages, trying to hold off an army of enemies), but make it so that you can get attacked and killed even if you move all the time, you've got RE6. It requires a different way of playing, and I'm not sure I like it. You really have to be quick at taking out your enemies, but in Leon's campaign you haven't got enough ammo to do that. You have to use melee attacks as well, but they are slow and leave you exposed. Enemies will frequently and literally jump at you out of the darkness, often in the middle of combat while you're busy with other enemies. It's mostly manageable though, and I haven't died much. Most battles I've gotten through on the first attempt on Normal, even the tough ones, but some required more than that.

It's not all doom and gloom with the difficulty though. If you die and have to restore from a checkpoint, you get full health even if you were wounded when the checkpoint was reached. This can be very helpful as healing goes away quickly.

I like how you can take it slow and kill every zombie you come across, but that's it's better to try to avoid them. This means exploration and looking for items is very tense as you hear the zombies shuffling (or even running or jumping) closer. Getting through a door and closing it behind you is a great relief at times. If you do decide to kill everyone, you'll find ammo and other items on their corpses with some regularity, so you won't get overly punished no matter which way you want to play.

In other news, zombie dogs suck ass in this game. Even a single one can kill you with ease if you're unlucky. Did you clip run out while firing at the dog? Too bad, you're going down! You certainly won't have time to reload. You might be able to run to a safer place. Even worse, firing at the dogs will frequently see them dodge sideways and almost instantly retaliate, making you lose both health and ammo. It can be very frustrating fighting these things, so I try to take them out from a distance or avoid them entirely now. In one case I ended up dashing through a huge area with a bunch of dogs on my heels simply to avoid fighting them, which worked out surprisingly well. I should do that more often. Tongue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2012, 01:27:33 PM »

Looks like I'm the only one here playing this game. That's a shame, because it's really good. Don't listen to the reviewers. If you liked Resident Evil 5, RE6 is a game you'll like as well. More than ever I get the impression that most of the low review scores are from people bringing in their own baggage before reviewing the game, applying their expectations based on the first few games in the series and being disappointed. So let's get these things out of the way: Like RE5, RE6 isn't scary, it's an action game, and it's got plenty of explosions and awesome set pieces. But while it's not scary, it's still very tense. The action is great and forces you to make decisions beyond which enemy to shoot first (such as "do I even shoot this thing, or do I try some other kind of attack?" or "should I just run past it?"). The graphics are fantastic, with the only downside being blurry textures. Those textures aren't much of a problem for the most part since the game is dark, and the incredible lighting effects cover up such blemishes.

Anyway, I just finished Leon's campaign. It was lengthy and felt complete in many ways. It was like completing any other game's entire campaign mode. Hell, the Call of Duty campaigns are much shorter than just one of the campaigns in RE6, and this game has four of them! There's plenty of variety here, even within just one campaign. You'll go from evading and shooting zombies to swimming through dark caverns while hunted by mutated sharks, to navigating dark catacombs filled with powerful mutants coming from all directions, to fighting massive bosses, and some absolutely incredible set pieces that made me want to pump my fists in the air and yell triumphantly. I very much like the way the various campaigns intersect. You'll run into the other characters with some regularity, offering great little teasers of what to expect when playing their campaigns. There are some multi-stage bosses where one group will deal with stage one, another group will deal with stage 2, two or even three different groups will join forces to deal with stage three, and so on (hypothetical example). Because of the way the storylines intertwine, the cutscenes in the game are arranged like a calendar, with each cutscene assigned to a date so that you can watch all of them in chronological order, even across campaigns.

All in all, I'm very pleased so far. That said, people claim that Leon's campaign is one of the two best (the other being Ada's), so we'll see how it fares for the next one. I'm going to play Jake and Sherry's campaign next.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2012, 06:00:18 PM »

I just started playing it last night.  I did Chris Chapter 1 and it seemed on par with modern RE games.  It had crazy, gross monsters and I had no issues with controls or shooting or anything.  I had to figure out how to do cover since they don't really come out and tell you.  Actually, they don't really tell you much on the controls.  I figured out how to roll and was using melee effectively and thought it was good enough.  We'll see how it holds up.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2012, 06:38:18 PM »

I probably wouldn't have started with Chris (in fact, I didn't), simply because I'd like to start with the tension and move into the action over time. Chris is supposedly constant action, while Leon's campaign starts tense and builds up to an action-filled climax.

Having played through the first chapter of Jake's campaign, it's certainly faster paced, with brighter environments and more focus on tough, big monsters, and less focus on ammo management and exploration.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2012, 08:10:46 PM »

After watching GiantBomb's quicklook I decided I'll only play this game when it's $10 or less on Steam, and not with the intent of playing until completion but just to experience the mediocrity. It may be a big budget game, but mechanically it looks pretty bad. It would be great if they patched the shit out of it (literally).

Sean Lama
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2012, 08:35:32 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 07, 2012, 08:10:46 PM

After watching GiantBomb's quicklook I decided I'll only play this game when it's $10 or less on Steam, and not with the intent of playing until completion but just to experience the mediocrity. It may be a big budget game, but mechanically it looks pretty bad. It would be great if they patched the shit out of it (literally).

I just read the Giant Bomb review of the game, and let me tell you, they're full of shit. The "awkward mechanics" they're talking about were second nature by the time I finished chapter 1 of Leon's campaign, and now I'm ducking, weaving, pulling up secondary weapons, healing, reloading, sliding, meleeing, and coup-de-gracing without thinking about it, instead letting me focus on the bigger picture. Useful, since the combat can be highly tactical.

And 2 out of 5 stars? That's like saying the game is next to unplayable. I'd say the biggest conclusion to draw out of that review is that they put the wrong reviewer up for the job. For something that seems closer to reality, take a look at GameTrailers' review, and supplement it with their latest episode of Invisible Walls, where a panel of staff share different opinions and try to reach a conclusion. As the GT reviewer points out in that panel, some reviewers of RE6 seem to hold it to a much higher standard than other games, subtracting from its score things that would have been lauded as greatness in other games (*cough* Call of Duty *cough*).

Giant Bomb's reviewer hints that he didn't like RE5 much, and that's a huge warning sign right there. If you're someone who didn't like RE5, you'll find nothing to sell you on the franchise here. On the other hand, if you did like it, this is a game you'll like.

The RE series has become tainted among game reviewers, it seems. RE5 was subject to many of the same dissenting opinions (but got additional points for being "fresh", I suppose), but I liked it so much that I got a Platinum trophy for it, playing through the entire campaign 3 or 4 times. I'm finding RE6 hard to put down for the evening, wanting to do just one more encounter, which leads to another plot development, which leads to me wanting to do another encounter, and so on. It's almost going to be painful putting this aside for XCOM this week.

Edit: The reviewer also reveals how little effort he went to to understand the mechanics of the game. He played the game online, which is why he couldn't pause. He could easily have played offline, but chose not to without thinking about the implications. As for the controls, there's a 2-page spread in the manual that shows every little nuance. Sure, the game could have explained these things better, but it's just laziness to not look in the manual.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 08:41:31 PM by TiLT » Logged
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2012, 09:25:15 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 07, 2012, 06:38:18 PM

I probably wouldn't have started with Chris (in fact, I didn't), simply because I'd like to start with the tension and move into the action over time. Chris is supposedly constant action, while Leon's campaign starts tense and builds up to an action-filled climax.

Having played through the first chapter of Jake's campaign, it's certainly faster paced, with brighter environments and more focus on tough, big monsters, and less focus on ammo management and exploration.

I went with the order recommended on NeoGAF, which is chronological.  Here it is for your perusal:

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2012, 09:30:17 PM »

Doesn't that mean you lose your progress whenever you change character, having to use Chapter Select to get back to where you were and thus having to begin with what the game decides is most appropriate for that point in the game?

Playing it campaign by campaign really seems to be the way it was intended, despite chronological ordering. There are situations in Leon's campaign where another campaign will intersect and you immediately start thinking "how the hell did they get there, and what the heck are they doing?". One of the biggest problems with the traditional game structure is that you're almost always the center of the universe, with all important events revolving around you. In RE6 that isn't the case. Important events will occur that obviously have something to do with a different campaign, and when they happen I tend to think "man, I can't wait to see how that happened". If played chronologically, you'd lose that and would always have a good idea about what's going on and why.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2012, 10:01:42 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 07, 2012, 08:35:32 PM

Edit: The [Giant Bomb] reviewer also reveals how little effort he went to to understand the mechanics of the game. He played the game online, which is why he couldn't pause. He could easily have played offline, but chose not to without thinking about the implications. As for the controls, there's a 2-page spread in the manual that shows every little nuance. Sure, the game could have explained these things better, but it's just laziness to not look in the manual.

Whoa!  Hey, let's slow down here....

Are you trying to suggest that Brad Shoemaker failed to comprehend incredibly basic game play mechanics, stubbornly ignored sources of available information, and blamed the game for the consequences of his own confounding laziness?

That would just be crazy.

-Autistic Angel
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2012, 10:58:45 PM »

People should bring their "baggage" to reviews. It's called comparing it to other, better games.

A friend who is a fan or RE can't stand this game and regrets buying it entirely. It's a high production game, but that doesn't mean it's great. There's another kind of baggage that people can go in that will make them overlook otherwise glaring flaws in a game. And it's not just Brad Showmaker, there's a lot of people pointing out, and showing by example a lot of really, really shoddy game design that does drag the game down. My friend included, and the entire staffs of multiple game press, or just people around the industry. There's even multiple entire podcasts dedicated to just how bad RE6 is.

Let's just put it this way, the game is not that great. Depending on how much, and what kind, of a fan you are of the RE series you may like, or really dislike the game. The fact that people are getting through the game, or still playing says that the game isn't entirely crap, but it's definitely sounding like an aggregation of very poor design decisions and implementations are dragging RE6 down, and that's something that it should be called on.

Which is sad, but Dead Space has supplanted this style of game for me in almost every way, but even that series is heading towards RE6 territory.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 11:02:06 PM by Turtle » Logged
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2012, 03:40:47 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 07, 2012, 08:10:46 PM

I just read the Giant Bomb review of the game, and let me tell you, they're full of shit. The "awkward mechanics" they're talking about were second nature by the time I finished chapter 1 of Leon's campaign, and now I'm ducking, weaving, pulling up secondary weapons, healing, reloading, sliding, meleeing, and coup-de-gracing without thinking about it, instead letting me focus on the bigger picture. Useful, since the combat can be highly tactical.

And 2 out of 5 stars? That's like saying the game is next to unplayable. I'd say the biggest conclusion to draw out of that review is that they put the wrong reviewer up for the job. For something that seems closer to reality, take a look at GameTrailers' review, and supplement it with their latest episode of Invisible Walls, where a panel of staff share different opinions and try to reach a conclusion. As the GT reviewer points out in that panel, some reviewers of RE6 seem to hold it to a much higher standard than other games, subtracting from its score things that would have been lauded as greatness in other games (*cough* Call of Duty *cough*).

Giant Bomb's reviewer hints that he didn't like RE5 much, and that's a huge warning sign right there. If you're someone who didn't like RE5, you'll find nothing to sell you on the franchise here. On the other hand, if you did like it, this is a game you'll like.

The RE series has become tainted among game reviewers, it seems. RE5 was subject to many of the same dissenting opinions (but got additional points for being "fresh", I suppose), but I liked it so much that I got a Platinum trophy for it, playing through the entire campaign 3 or 4 times. I'm finding RE6 hard to put down for the evening, wanting to do just one more encounter, which leads to another plot development, which leads to me wanting to do another encounter, and so on. It's almost going to be painful putting this aside for XCOM this week.

Edit: The reviewer also reveals how little effort he went to to understand the mechanics of the game. He played the game online, which is why he couldn't pause. He could easily have played offline, but chose not to without thinking about the implications. As for the controls, there's a 2-page spread in the manual that shows every little nuance. Sure, the game could have explained these things better, but it's just laziness to not look in the manual.

Actually he really enjoyed RE5, on the podcast he said he played through it three times. I witnessed the messed up mechanics while watching their quick look. Regardless of GB's take on it, it's not a phenomenon that RE6 has a metacritic of 66. Shitty games get shitty scores.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:44:58 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2012, 03:43:03 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 07, 2012, 10:01:42 PM

Edit: The [Giant Bomb] reviewer also reveals how little effort he went to to understand the mechanics of the game. He played the game online, which is why he couldn't pause. He could easily have played offline, but chose not to without thinking about the implications. As for the controls, there's a 2-page spread in the manual that shows every little nuance. Sure, the game could have explained these things better, but it's just laziness to not look in the manual.

Are you trying to suggest that Brad Shoemaker failed to comprehend incredibly basic game play mechanics, stubbornly ignored sources of available information, and blamed the game for the consequences of his own confounding laziness?

-Autistic Angel

Wow, that's incredibly snide...

Sean Lama
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2012, 04:32:02 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 08, 2012, 03:40:47 AM

Regardless of GB's take on it, it's not a phenomenon that RE6 has a metacritic of 66. Shitty games get shitty scores.

That is true, but it's not what has happened with RE6 on Metacritic. It's got a wide range of review scores, from extremely good to extremely bad. In those kinds of cases the average or even median Metacritic score has little to no value, and the true lesson to be learned from it is that it's a polarizing game. You're talking about supposedly shitty mechanics to me, someone who has actually played the game, and telling me that GiantBomb's opinion that the game's flaws outweigh it's good parts is the truth when I'm seriously enjoying the whole experience?

For polarizing games people need to decide which side of the scale they're most likely to end up agreeing with, but just because someone ends up on the "don't like it" side of the scale doesn't make the game or its mechanics shitty. It just means they aren't your taste. That is why reviews like GiantBomb's aren't a good indicator of the game's quality, though they are important as a way to at least show that the game is polarizing.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2012, 05:40:17 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 07, 2012, 09:30:17 PM

Doesn't that mean you lose your progress whenever you change character, having to use Chapter Select to get back to where you were and thus having to begin with what the game decides is most appropriate for that point in the game?

If you finish a chapter, you don't lose progress.  I think you only lose it if you were at a savepoint in the middle of a chapter and then you switched.  I am going to complete each chapter.  I actually like the idea of moving around after a couple of chapters so I get to mix it up a little.

I also wanted to comment on what some others in here said about the GB Quick Look.  I, too, watched that and listened to them talk on the Giant Bombcast about how horrible this game is.  I watched the issues that were supposedly in the game (having played, I think some of the issues were just incompetence by Brad).  However, after reading a bit on NeoGAF after the game came out and seeing people's opinions on the game, I decided to give it a chance and I have to say I am glad I did.  I'm not really having the issues those guys had.  I've died a couple of times, but I felt like each time was because I made some mistakes and got punished.  In general, the game controls well and I am able to do what I want.  The story itself is typical Resident Evil and I'm enjoying it for what it is.  I'm glad I bought it and think the people handing out 3/10s for this game are being very ridiculous.  Keep in mind this is only having played two chapters for Chris, so things could certainly change.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2012, 06:22:40 AM »

I'd like to say this, which is also the conclusion the GT reviewer came up with for certain parts of the game: RE6 is a game filled with a LOT of different gameplay scenarios. Through the game you'll sneak, shoot, smash, fly, drive, swim, and so on. Not everything works as well as other things. For example, I went through a sequence where you're driving a snowmobile down a mountain while trying to escape from an avalanche. I kept getting killed, over and over, and I felt as if these deaths were very cheap. The avalanche would "sneak up" on one of my sides and I wouldn't see it until it was too late, which meant I had to deal with the sequence by dying and memorizing the dangerous spots. After about 10 deaths I was getting frustrated. Then I realized that I was doing it flat out wrong. You're driving along with your partner, and by following his or her path you'll get through the section safely and with minimal issues. Once I was past this section the game was back to being awesome again. There are areas with cheap deaths, that is until you notice that you were actually warned about the danger you were facing. I was facing a huge boss in an arena filled with the wrecks of cars and trucks, and when I had almost killed the boss he suddenly threw a truck at me from the other side of the arena and killed me instantly. Right away I felt that it was cheap, but upon further reflection (and replaying the section) I realized that the cues were there. I just didn't take them seriously. Altering my play style slightly for that fight meant I was never in risk of being flattened by a flying vehicle again.

Now here's the important thing to know about being a reviewer: When they sit down to review a game, they're doing it as a job. Maybe they're lucky and they really wanted to play the game they're reviewing. But then again, most likely not. In most cases the reviewer will want to get through the game as quickly as possible so that they can check all the boxes and be done with the review, instead of taking their time and enjoying the experience. The result is that reviewers are much more likely to get frustrated, particularly if their progress towards the end isn't smooth and easy. As the GT reviewer put it in the Invisible Walls episode: RE6 is a 30-hour game. Yes, there are sections you'll find frustrating, but they are such a minor part of the overall experience that they don't really drag it down. RE6 is filled to the brim with variety and awesomeness, but not everything in it is awesome.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2012, 06:34:40 AM »

I hear what you're saying, Tilt. Maybe as an RE fan I'll be able to forgive some of its shortcomings. I'll just play it in easy mode  icon_biggrin

Sean Lama
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2012, 09:59:02 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 08, 2012, 03:43:03 AM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 07, 2012, 10:01:42 PM

-Autistic Angel

Wow, that's incredibly snide...

Sorry.  It's easy to forget how tone of voice can be lost in text.

For clarity, I can earnestly say that insulting TiLT was the furthest thing from my mind.

-Autistic Angel
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2012, 02:06:33 AM »

AKA Brad Shoemaker is not the best person to be demonstrating games by demonstrating them.

At least, not this type of game.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2012, 02:20:59 AM »

Just finished Jake chapter 1 and still enjoying the game. Waiting for the part of this game where I want to bomb the Capcom offices.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2012, 04:47:54 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 09, 2012, 02:06:33 AM

AKA Brad Shoemaker is not the best person to be demonstrating games by demonstrating them.

At least, not this type of game.

Well, regardless of whether or not Brad Shoemaker demonstrates the dedication and attention to detail necessary to adequately review a spoon, I think the important thing to remember is that Game Informer's Test Chamber of Resident Evil 6 left me with the following impressions:

1.  Tim Turi's score is about as divisive in the offices as it is elsewhere, and

2.  Watching him play makes the game *look* really awesome, even as it becomes apparent what has driven all his coworkers away.

I wasn't a big fan of 5 myself so I'll probably wait for some distant Steam sale, but it's interesting stuff for sure!

-Autistic Angel
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: