http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 02:49:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No High def for Revolution  (Read 1782 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2005, 12:23:18 PM »

Ugh.

Link

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 12:44:20 PM »

Digital sound?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 01:22:08 PM »

Meh, I wont have a HD tv for a few more years anyway.  Im playing my consoles on a Commodore 1084s, it works for me.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 01:27:36 PM »

It seems to me that Nintendo is trying to make the Revolution as cheaply as possible. They are forced to have a new console to compete with the XBox360 and PS3, but I think they realize that they might not be able to compete with those consoles as far as pure power goes. Thus, my guess is that they are hoping to appeal to people by having their console sell for much less than the other next-gen consoles (if I had to guess, I would think the starting prive would be between $150 - $200).

I don't know if I buy the arguement that supporting higher definitions create much more work for the developers. How is it different than allowing your PC game to support higher resolutions? Sure the developers might need to worry a bit more about frame rates, but the power of the future consoles should be high enough to dismiss most of those fears.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 02:05:28 PM »

I don't know if I buy the arguement that supporting higher definitions create much more work for the developers.

Won't this create a big pain in the ass for multiplatform titles?  They'll create all the ubermega highrez artwork all HD-pretty and then what, have to dumb it down for the Revolution?  

I'm starting to think that Nintendo was thinking this kind of Revolution, as in 'look, we are stuck in the past!'

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 02:19:43 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Won't this create a big pain in the ass for multiplatform titles?  They'll create all the ubermega highrez artwork all HD-pretty and then what, have to dumb it down for the Revolution?  

They'll have to do the same "dumbing down" for the PS3 and XBox 360 for the near 85%-90% of those consoles' owners who won't support HD.

As an owner of an HD TV, I am very disappointed with Nintendo's decision to not support it, but I really doubt that THIS decision will hurt their sales in any major way. (They'll take care of that by having a sporadic release schedule and crappy 3rd party support - again.)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 02:32:14 PM »

I think it will hurt their sales in the sense that if people own multiple consoles, they will probably buy any cross platform games for the X-Box360 or PS3 rather than the Revolution.

Also, the article didn't mention whether Nintendo planned on keeping support for 480p (though they did question whether the Revolution would even have a component output). IMO, it would seem backwards for the Revolution not to support a resolution that the Game Cube already can.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 02:46:48 PM »

EQUALS

PHOTOS OF THE REVOLUTION

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 03:06:39 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

I'm with JCC- this shouldn't make a difference.  While devs might have to make textures that stand up under HD resolution scrutiny on 360 and PS3, there is no harm in displaying these same textures on a lower resolution like 480p or 480i.  The only concern would be space concerns for the higher texture sizes but there shouldn't be any issues on that end either.  

And for Nintendo exclusive titles it might in fact be quicker and cheaper since the textures will only have to stand up under 480p.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 03:25:46 PM »

I'm guessing, much as we don't like it, that we are not the target demographic for Nintendo.  We have HDTV's, multiple platforms, etc.  We are very much "gamers".

What I took from the Nintendo E3 presentation is they are very much going for a family demographic, not hardcore, message-board posting, gaming news obsessed gamers.  Do most families have HDTV's?  I'm guessing not.  Heck I'm a hardcore gamer and I don't have an HDTV.

They are trying to differentiate themselves from Sony and Microsoft.  Will it work?  Dunno.  I'm guessing there's a sizable market out there who could care less about 480p vs. 1080i or whatever.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 04:11:45 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
We have HDTV's

We do? I must have missed that memo.  I'd say there are quite a few people that post on this site that don't have an HDTV.  I'd love one, but I don't have the money to blow for one.  I've been given the order from on high that if we go HDTV we're going "big".  "Big" = more expensive.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 04:36:41 PM »

Nintendo is so freaking backward.

Wake up.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 04:39:48 PM »

I don't have one either (see my post).  But apparently this is a potential problem for some people otherwise there'd be no thread.

I won't be getting one for awhile so it's no big deal to me.  I'm sure it's a big deal to others but I'm not sure that they are the demographic Nintendo is aiming for.

Which was my whole point.   Cool
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 04:48:06 PM »

I don't buy Nintendo stuff for HDTV.  Even if I had HDTV, I would still buy a Revolution.  I buy Nintendo stuff because I think they make very original games that my whole family can enjoy.  I have XBox for the more mature stuff and Nintendo for the fun stuff.  I think the Revolution will be priced cheap enough that HDTV won't be an issue for consumers.  The people that HAVE to have HDTV probably weren't Nintendo's target audience in the first place.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 05:42:11 PM »

This is as big an issue as backwards compatibility. Now I need a backwards compatible TV.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 05:47:01 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
This is as big an issue as backwards compatibility. Now I need a backwards compatible TV.

I agree - I would gladly get rid of the backwards compatability/downloadable nintendo library stuff for true 720p/1080i support.  I'm sure that they will still support 480p, but I'm curious just how much it would cost them per-unit to add in true hidef support.

Still not a deal-breaker for me as I know it will still have the AAA Nintendo titles I enjoy (Animal Crossing 2 + Pikmin 3 @ launch plz), but it's still a sucky decision if they stick with it.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2005, 08:05:17 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

I've been given the order from on high that if we go HDTV we're going "big".  

I want to start taking orders from your voice on high.  Direct me where to go so that I may listen.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2005, 03:04:53 PM »

You shoudn't have to have two consoles for two types of games. One being mature and the other being kids games. There are plenty of kids/family games for the playstation 2, as well as the xbox.

The playstation 3 will be backwards compatible with the ps2 (and even ps1) yet it will support HD out of the box.

Nintendo really are backwards. But hey they lead the revolution into online gaming with the gamecube didn't they? All those great playable games online!

They say we don't want online games. Now they say we don't want HD support.
I agree, give it to us as an option. For those of us with HDTVs we are losing out and it's only going to make us want an xbox 360 or ps3 even more. If you don't have it, no big deal it'll still work just as fine, but for those of us with it, we should be able to enjoy it and feel like we got an HDTV for a reason and our money was well spent. Microsoft and Sony make it feel that way with their consoles.

IMO, there's nothing "revolutionary" at all about the Revolution.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: