http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 04:12:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No game saves transfer to 360  (Read 2257 times)
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2005, 01:24:11 PM »

According to this month's OXM (October issue maybe? - Oblivion is on the cover) there will be NO transfer of saved games from the XBox to the 360. WTF?!? So forget any time that you may have put in unlocking cars on Burnout, costumes on DOAU, or any games that you've almost finished but haven't had time to get back to yet.

Why does it feel like MS is totally alienating the current generation and almost DARING us not to buy the 360 at launch. I have one pre-ordered and I'm sure I'll end up getting it at launch in the end, but why the heck do they keep screwing us over?

I'm sure backwards compatablity is not a big issue with some of you, but I like to go back and play old games from time to time. I STILL play some of the launch games every once in a while even though some could argue that they feel like a previous generation to the current XBox because they are so old. If no one cares about old games, how come the market is getting flooded with retro-gaming packs like Namco Museum and Midway Arcade Treasures?  I have a lot of kids games for the XBox that my son loves. He's six and he doesn't care about graphics. They don't even HAVE any kid friendly games scheduled yet for the 360 that I'm aware of.

I don't feel like leaving my old XBox hooked up to play the old games and use my old saves. I want to play with my wireless controller and have the always available live dashboard going. If I upgrade my PC, in most cases there is still a way to play games from 10 years ago if I want to!

Am I alone in this or is MS annoying the crap out of others too with some of the aspects of their release strategy?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 02:37:08 PM »

First of all, both of your examples are NULL, dude.
No Team Ninja games allow save games to be copied to a memory card.
I don't think Burnout3 allows it's savegame to be copied either (I tried; I had to send my exbox in for repair).

You *may* still be able to copy savegames with the MegaXKey (as it's a USB key with an adapter for the Xbox controller port).

I have one; I'll let you know.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 03:42:55 PM »

I know you can't copy Burnout 3 and DOAU saves to a memory card (believe me, I tried).  I was assuming there would be some kind of way to transfer the files over the ethernet cable (haven't PCs been able to do this type of thing for years?).
Eno
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 04:32:45 PM »

I've dropped getting an X360 at at launch alltogether.  There are still plenty of games for me to play yet on my Xbox and PS2.  It is a pity that there seem to be many downfalls of the X360 right now.  Hopefully they will be able to blow the public away with great games that make us forget about the old Xbox games.  Probably not though.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 06:22:41 PM »

For me Nintendo is at the top of my list, I dont own any systems Nintendo, besides my GBA SP, Nintendo just seems to be focusing on fun and games.

But I'll probably end up buying a PS3, since I have followed Sony since the start.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 07:10:06 PM »

I'm not at all phased by this. Also, there may be a context missed (they may have been citing content that CAN'T be transferred, rather than you CAN'T transfer content. I haven't read the article, and you know the product isn't out yet so there's no point worrying about it.

I may get a PS3, but damn them if it's too much. I can justify $399 + 1 controller, 2 charge packs and maybe a WiFi NIC, but I will NOT spend 599 + accessories for a PS3... the fact that they're putting non-standard hardware (cell chip is "new" which means the only supply is through Sony... rare = expensive) plus the blu-ray (and how much extra is THAT going to cost the consumer).

My old games aren't that important. I had a PS1 and I had a PS2 for a while. I don't tend to look back and sink hours into old games. Halo2, Halo, maybe Oddworld and a few games here and there of Phantom Dust. Everything else I'll play is likely new.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 07:12:21 PM »

I dont really think this is a big deal at all-most people that want backwards compatiblity will either be buyign the XBox games for the first time to play on the 360 or catching up on the backlog-I really dont think too many will stop halfway through a game, throw away their XBox, and then try to finish on the 360. Just seems counterintuitive.
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 07:23:53 PM »

But what about games that you beat on the XBox or unlocked 100% of the items?  Doesn't it suck that all of that stuff is just gone if you don't want to keep your old XBox available?  I don't have it, but what about Forza and all of the custom paint jobs people came up with for that?  Gone.  I have a few XBox games that I want to play (Psychonauts - was about halfway through and my current box crapped out, Burnout 3, Jade Empire), but I'm now VERY hesitant to start them because I don't know if I'll have the time to finish before the 360 comes out.  Hell, I don't even know when or IF they'll even be backwards compatible for my 360.  So unless I want to hold on to the XBox for a while, there's some of my backlog I won't even get to play.  Kind of annoying if you ask me.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005, 07:27:16 PM »

This is a non issue to me.  I have two Xboxs and don't plan on getting rid of either of them so if I have games saved on them, then that's just where I'll finish them at.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 12:07:00 AM »

Burnout3, Jade Empire both can't be copied anyways. (trust me, I've tried slywink )

Were I to keep my exbox, I'd be modding it to be a home entertainment unit after my live account was transferred to the x360.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 04:55:06 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Burnout3, Jade Empire both can't be copied anyways. (trust me, I've tried slywink )

Were I to keep my exbox, I'd be modding it to be a home entertainment unit after my live account was transferred to the x360.

"Ex"box is cool. Nice job.  :  thumbsup
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 06:17:50 AM »

Very Big Evil Grin ---->  :twisted:

My soon-to-be-ex-wife is taking it as soon as the X360 comes out (which is why I'm getting one on release date). So it's become the exbox. (and THAT is a double entendre slywink )

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2005, 12:48:56 PM »

My soon-to-be-ex-wife is taking it as soon as the X360 comes out (which is why I'm getting one on release date). So it's become the exbox. (and THAT is a double entendre slywink )

Who gets the games?  Or is it an every other weekend kind of thing?
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2005, 01:03:27 PM »

VelocityGirl does not care about game saves.
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2005, 01:47:16 PM »

Quote from: "Beer Goggles"
VelocityGirl does not care about game saves.

Exactly my point.  Forget all of the user base that we've built up with the original XBox.  They're just a stepping stone to the MTV generation which is where the real money is at.  If they come along for the ride, then so be it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2005, 06:57:32 PM »

I dont really think this is a big deal at all-most people that want backwards compatiblity will either be buyign the XBox games for the first time to play on the 360 or catching up on the backlog-I really dont think too many will stop halfway through a game, throw away their XBox, and then try to finish on the 360. Just seems counterintuitive.

Well, you're wrong.

That was exactly my plan.  And I, too, was hoping for some sort of ethernet- or wi-fi-file transfer for the games that wouldn't let you move your saves (and why the hell does THAT happen, anyway?  I guess so you can't edit it, but, still, shouldn't that be my option?) or that were too big.

The possibility of getting the 360 at launch dropped considerably when I read that they were hoping to have 5 -20 games working at launch (which we know means 7 games).  Now that I hear I'd have to start over in those games, forget it.

I am still playing older launch titles, too.  I'm not alone, and it is a very big issue to me.  Once again, I get tired of hearing the "It's a non-issue to me" comment with the implication being that therefore it's a non-issue to anyone else.

Here's an analogy that may add nothing to the discussion:  I had stopped playing Fable when I heard that Lost Chapters was coming for the Xbox.  Then I found out that your old saves wouldn't work with the new version.  Well, what the hell is the point of that, then.  I'm sure anyone who hasn't played Fable is excited, but really how many people who would be interested in Fable didn't get it in the first run?  It's a big seller (no doubt targeted to be one of the 7 backwards compatible ones).  So really, this is just a big ol' tease and slap in the face to all of us who bought the game.  I would happily have paid $20 for the extra content (maybe even $30).  Now, how many people are going to pay again and replay the whole thing?  I know some will, but they're losing money by cutting the rest out.  

Basically, the 360 is turning into Backwards Compatible for top selling games but our goal is to get every game backwards compatible until we tell you it's not possible after you buy the unit.Grr.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2005, 08:00:09 PM »

I'm wondering... If I was able to get Xbox's savegames to the PC, would there THEN be some way of transferring them to the X360, whether it be with the PSP, or some other USB media?

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2005, 08:28:47 PM »

I've been wondering the same thing Fellow.  I know that there are things out there that allow you to grab saves from your XBox and put them on the PC, but I'm not sure if it can get saves that can't normally go to a memory unit like Burnout 3 or DOAU saves.

Of course then we have NO idea even if you could get the saves on the 360 if they would even work with the 360 OS.  I'd like to fire off an email to get some kind of clarification on this.  Anyone know the best place to send that email?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2005, 09:55:40 PM »

Quote from: "markus"

Of course then we have NO idea even if you could get the saves on the 360 if they would even work with the 360 OS.  I'd like to fire off an email to get some kind of clarification on this.  Anyone know the best place to send that email?

Just guessing but I'm betting that any utitlities for transferring saves to the PC and back for the Xbox aren't MS supported which means they likely won't comment/support the functionality for the 360.
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2005, 11:30:32 PM »

There are legal solutions - meaning you don't need any modchips or other modifications to your XBox like the Mega-X Key that I've been looking at.  I'm fairly sure that MS must know about it, but you're probably right in saying that they don't outwardly support it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2005, 12:13:48 AM »

Quote from: "Canuck"

Who gets the games?  Or is it an every other weekend kind of thing?

Our taste in games are drastically different. I get mine, she has her few.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: