http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 04:51:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Devil May Cry 3 Thread?  (Read 983 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2005, 06:39:57 PM »

I know we had a prerelease thread, but there has been close to no talk at all about release impressions. I still have no desire to play this game given the reviews (well thats not true, I mean I have no desire to BUY it. I will certainly gamefly it).

So, whats going on? What are our thoughts on this one?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 08:57:09 PM »

Bloody difficult.  Now, I finished DMC1 with little fuss, some segments took some time, but all in all it was smooth going.

Now in DMC3 it's just tough.  I think it has to do with how the enemies just aren't as forgiving.  The upgraded basic mook has this long range run forward and slash attack that has little or no warning ahead of time, whereas in DMC1 they had his loud spinning sound they made with their weapons before they did any sort of special attack.  Not to mention that this slash attack can come from off screen.

The bosses still have patterns, but you have to be a lot more precise with your moves to avoid getting hit, although they do give decent warnings.

Even on easy mode I've replayed the second boss about 10 times now before I beat him.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 09:06:49 PM »

I picked it up but am considering returning it and picking up later when cheaper.  I know it will be mega cool and all, but the difficulty may be too much for my aging reflexes.

And like you I have not been able to find hardly any threads anywhere on it.  I can only take that as extremely poor sales.  Which may mean a deep drop in price ($29.99 maybe) with a few months.  Who knows????

The user reviews at gamespot are predominantly above 9 though, so, difficulty aside, it must be sweet.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 11:50:42 PM »

So, whats going on? What are our thoughts on this one?

i repeat:

my dinner with dante

(warning: if $50 for 10-20 hours of cheezy fun sounds steep/ridiculous, either consider a rental or do not read further)

so i get the game, get trashed into easy mode on level 2, go to codejunkies, load up on red orbs & max out the size of the health meter (hey, if it's good enough for certain reviewers, it's good enough for me), & here's what i have:

dmc3 is the gaming equivalent of the 'big-budget b-movie' (you know, 'independence day', 'starship troopers' - movies that combine roger corman -type scripts/sensibilities with steven spielberg -type effects/production). everything's waaay over-the-top, consistently campy, & amazingly slick, & all in a very enjoyable way (this incarnation of dante's easily my favorite of the 3). i've always been a sucker for this kinda thing (even the low-budget versions), & dmc3 definitely nails it...

which, to my mind, makes it an even greater shame that they chose to make it as, well, 'un-user-friendly' as they did - because (without all these orbs, anyway) it most definitely is (to the point of cheaply so at times)...

anyway, i guess what i'm saying is a) if you can afford it & b) if a little bit of cheating won't cause irreparable harm to your sense of self-esteem, deep personal shame, or an inability to continue to function as a contributing member of society, dmc3's well worth checking out - hyper-kinetic gothic goofiness doesn't get more grandiose than this...

update:

now on mission 15 (out of 20). it's pretty simple: to make the game playable, you either do the honorable thing (known as 'orb farming'. also known as playing thru the first few levels over'n'over again) to upgrade your skills, or you cheat (there's a built-in cheat you can trigger at the main menu screen that can give you god-like power out of the gate, but i passed on that one smile )...

i'll only add this: if you pass on dmc3 because you've got a problem with both orb farming & cheating, to my mind, you're only cheating yourself. this title does everything for the dmc series that mgs3 did for metal gear. it's fun, it's gorgeous, it's insane (& that's just the gameplay - the numerous (often funny) cinematics have to be seen to be believed, &, amazingly, have only gotten better throughout)...

again, i think it's too bad the developers/publisher 'cranked up the volume' difficulty-wise, probably turning off a number of not-so-133t gamers, because the game that ign (who, it'd appear, also 'cheated') raved about is most definitely there - it's accursedly, devilishly entertaining...

And like you I have not been able to find hardly any threads anywhere on it. I can only take that as extremely poor sales. Which may mean a deep drop in price ($29.99 maybe) with a few months. Who knows????

as of right now, it's the #1 game on gamefaqs 'top 10 faqs'...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 03:46:20 AM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
again, i think it's too bad the developers/publisher 'cranked up the volume' difficulty-wise, probably turning off a number of not-so-133t gamers, because the game that ign (who, it'd appear, also 'cheated') raved about is most definitely there - it's accursedly, devilishly entertaining...

I hate IGN, so I'd love to believe this.  What's your evidence?

U2K Tha Greate$t on the New Orleans flooding: "The issues that happen in NO, is well you aint blind, you know how satan do things, not only that, but did you ever think why the water couldnt go now where?"
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 04:19:44 AM »

ya there's already a thread :p
http://www.consolegold.com/forums/posting.php?mode=newtopic&f=11
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 01:02:08 PM »

I hate IGN, so I'd love to believe this. What's your evidence?

2 pieces, both circumstantial - this, from kevin grey:

Oh wow- I just read something interesting. Evidently Capcom sent reviewers a memory card with all of the levels and orbs unlocked. May explain why there is some disparity in some of the reviews (*cough* IGN *cough*).

plus the fact that, for someone busy orb farming, his review was out pretty damn fast (& manages to never mention orb farming)...

not good enough for a court of law, but, as someone playing the game, good enough for me...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: