http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 10:22:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo Wii to launch earlier than expected?  (Read 2367 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2006, 12:57:45 AM »

We already know it will be cheaper, but now Morris@CNN is reporting that the Wii may launch early as well.

I for one (re)welcome our new motion sensing overlords.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 03:00:10 AM »

So it looks like Earlier launch and no hardware shortages FTW?!

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 03:08:45 AM »

They need to throw some kind of unproven technology in it, just to make things interesting.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 03:15:36 AM »

hopefully, twilight princess will be there as well - can't imagine the one without the other right now...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 04:50:49 AM »

Oh, good call. They may have the systems ready, but I hope they don't have to rush the games for launch. (And I'm looking at games like Red Steel which need all the development time they can get.) Still, I think it bodes well for the system.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 05:19:36 AM »

this is great news,especially when i am expecting this console war to be a lot closer together....but for sony i think this is yet another setback.....ps3 against the cheap wii...............november....christmas...people are gonna get a wii,mainly because they will be able to afford the games for it,LOL

oh.....so does this mean that twilight princess for the cube will come out the same time as the wii's version???

if so,that would mean this game has been delayed for A YEAR!!

reminds me of another game...bully!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 05:37:48 AM »

oh.....so does this mean that twilight princess for the cube will come out the same time as the wii's version???

Yes, it is a simultaneous launch for both versions.  That was confirmed at E3.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 05:52:48 AM »

I just wish my local EBGames would start doing pre-orders.  I know next to nothing about the Wii and it's still getting my money over a PS3, especially after those Star Wars game rumors I heard....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 09:43:01 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Yes, it is a simultaneous launch for both versions.  That was confirmed at E3.

so,i may as well screw the cube version and just buy the wii with twilight princess

bad planning if you ask me on nintendos part.....the wii version(or even twilight princess on the wii) will proberbly be a let down ...yes i'll like it,but as i am playing it on the wii,i will proberbly be expecting more...whereas if i was to get it on the cube.....................hmm

if this game was ready all those months ago for the cube they shoulda released it...and then maybe released the wii version for discount

warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 11:30:14 AM »

Well in theory you could buy the Gamecube version as the Wii will play it.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 11:35:56 AM »

Quote from: "warning"

You bring up a good point.  Let's suppose for just a moment that you want to just sit down and play the game without all the arm flailing.  You know, like a good couch potato would.  Will you be able to turn off the Wii control system and play with just the pad, buttons, and hat?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 11:59:11 AM »

Do we know what the media format for the Wii is?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 12:03:30 PM »

While this is exciting, given the new technology, I am leaning towards waiting on a second revision of the system to allow Nintendo to work out all the kinks.  Reports of Red Steel having horrible implementation of the WiiMote scare me.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 12:53:59 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
Do we know what the media format for the Wii is?

DVD.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 01:43:17 PM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
I just wish my local EBGames would start doing pre-orders.  I know next to nothing about the Wii and it's still getting my money over a PS3, especially after those Star Wars game rumors I heard....

Tell me about it as far as the preorder goes.

My Gamestop says the following: "Once we have the manager's meeting some September, we might start doing preorders then. Of course, nobody knows the price or the release date of the console."

Of course, all I want to do is just put down the money to get one. I don't care about the price or the release date. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2006, 02:44:07 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

You bring up a good point.  Let's suppose for just a moment that you want to just sit down and play the game without all the arm flailing.  You know, like a good couch potato would.  Will you be able to turn off the Wii control system and play with just the pad, buttons, and hat?

You could pick up the Cube version of the game and play it on the Wii with a Gamecube controller. Or did you wonder if you could turn off the Wii functions on the Wii version of the game? 'Cause I'm gunna guess no.

I'm fairly certain I'm getting the system, but I'm getting whichever version of Twilight Princess plays better.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 07:10:52 PM »

If the Wii doesn't have Bluray or Blutooth, I'm out. :twisted:
warning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 07:27:12 PM »

From Nintendo:
"There’s no change in our plan to release the console in the last quarter of this year. We are planning an announcement in September and it may be causing some confusion.'’ - Yasuhiro Minagawa, spokesperson for Nintendo Co. Ltd.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=3518
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2006, 09:53:25 PM »

the wii version of twighlight princess will widescreen and cube version won't, that's big for me

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 12:51:46 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
the wii version of twighlight princess will widescreen and cube version won't, that's big for me

Will they even have component cables this time around?  That's one thing that sucks.  At least they are jumping on the widescreen bandwagon.  S-Video...well that was cool on the SNES.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2006, 01:52:34 AM »

Um they had component cables for the Cube(in fact they look good on my Wega), and did 480p and had a bunch of games in widescreen.

They've already stated that the Wii will support 480p, widescreen will be up to each developer and I have a feeling that we will probably get an actual retail release of the cables. Hell maybe some of us will be lucky enough to be able to use our Cube cables.

adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2006, 02:38:58 AM »

Not unlike, say, the Rolling Stones, who released 4 different-colored album covers for Some Girls knowing there were people who would buy each one, I'm sure there are plenty of Nintendo fanboys who will buy both versions.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2006, 03:19:18 AM »

Um they had component cables for the Cube(in fact they look good on my Wega), and did 480p and had a bunch of games in widescreen.

They've already stated that the Wii will support 480p, widescreen will be up to each developer and I have a feeling that we will probably get an actual retail release of the cables. Hell maybe some of us will be lucky enough to be able to use our Cube cables.

I've heard rumors of these Cube component cables!  I just hope that you can actually buy them in stores.  They removed support for them from later models of the Cube so I wasn't sure how serious they were about supporting them in the future.

I'll get one anyway.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2006, 04:26:15 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I've heard rumors of these Cube component cables!  I just hope that you can actually buy them in stores.  They removed support for them from later models of the Cube so I wasn't sure how serious they were about supporting them in the future.

Yeah, Nintendo really fucked up with that decision. "Yes, our Gamecube looks great in Progressive Scan, but the only way you can order the cables is directly from us and nowhere else."

Thus, Nintendo thought that nobody owned a Progressive Scan capable TV set. In reality, nobody knew that you had to go directly to Nintendo to buy the damn things.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2006, 05:24:21 AM »

must say i have a wega as well,and all cube games look fine on it

what was wind waker?....was that wide screen?....if not then twilight princess not being will not matter to me

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2006, 05:35:35 AM »

Hey, how much would it have cost, per unit, to add HD output to the Wii? How much does the buyer really save if Wii isn't HD compatible?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2006, 06:10:19 AM »

480p is a sad sight worse than 720p and widescreen.  Not having just seems...dumb.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2006, 01:58:25 PM »

480p is a sad sight worse than 720p and widescreen.  Not having just seems...dumb.

480p can also be widescreen (see Xbox and most DVDs)
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2006, 10:41:29 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Yeah, Nintendo really fucked up with that decision. "Yes, our Gamecube looks great in Progressive Scan, but the only way you can order the cables is directly from us and nowhere else."

Thus, Nintendo thought that nobody owned a Progressive Scan capable TV set. In reality, nobody knew that you had to go directly to Nintendo to buy the damn things.

Why are GameCube component cables the one thing that people bitch about having to purchase online? I'm sure we all make online purchases every day, what makes this one item so horrible to click-to-order? I don't necessarily agree with their decision, but it did let Nintendo know exactly how many people used the component cables.

And the buyer doesn't save anything without HD, Nintendo just makes more money that way (as Devil will attest).

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2006, 11:03:52 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Hey, how much would it have cost, per unit, to add HD output to the Wii? How much does the buyer really save if Wii isn't HD compatible?

The cost per to be able "technically" output HD is negligible. The issue is performance.  Just like it takes more horsepower for your PC to run a game in 1024x768 than it does in 640x480, it takes more horsepower for a console to output in 1080i or 720p than it does for 480p.  By mandating max 480p support, Nintendo will get better visuals in other areas than if devs had to create for 720p as a minimum.  Otherwise, Nintendo would have to up the processing speed and GPU speed, which would be a significant expense.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2006, 11:08:18 PM »

Quote from: "adamsappel"
Quote from: "Destructor"

Why are GameCube component cables the one thing that people bitch about having to purchase online? I'm sure we all make online purchases every day, what makes this one item so horrible to click-to-order? I don't necessarily agree with their decision, but it did let Nintendo know exactly how many people used the component cables.

And the buyer doesn't save anything without HD, Nintendo just makes more money that way (as Devil will attest).

When I got at TV with component inputs, the cables weren't available from Nintendo's site, listed as "out of stock".  I had to import my component cables via a local gaming shop who has contacts they import from in Japan (and no, they don't mark up much for imports, plus if the shipping causes problems, the shop has to deal with it, not me).

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2006, 05:26:33 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "Dafones"

The cost per to be able "technically" output HD is negligible. The issue is performance.  Just like it takes more horsepower for your PC to run a game in 1024x768 than it does in 640x480, it takes more horsepower for a console to output in 1080i or 720p than it does for 480p.  By mandating max 480p support, Nintendo will get better visuals in other areas than if devs had to create for 720p as a minimum.  Otherwise, Nintendo would have to up the processing speed and GPU speed, which would be a significant expense.

Gotcha. That makes perfect sense. So with Nintendo's chosen horse power for Wii, it really couldn't pull off HD graphics, whether the console had the output for it or not.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: