http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 03:33:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo Revolution downloads free?  (Read 3755 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2005, 10:38:48 AM »

According to this interview at Gamesradar, the VP of Nintendo of America has said that all Nintendo-created NES, SNES, and N64 games will be downloadable via the Revolution for free.  If this isn't a misunderstanding (i.e. the download service is free, but the games cost), this might be the first console I buy on release day.  Metroid, Zelda, Paper Mario, Super Tennis, Mario Tennis, Mario Kart, etc. all free  :shock:

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 10:49:19 AM »

Wasn't the impression I got at the conference.  We were told "a small fee".  That said, it'd be a major coup for them if they went with the free option, it'd get a lot of sales fairly instantly, I'd gladly buy it day 1 for the same games you mentioned!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 01:39:05 PM »

IT HAS FINALLY HAPPENED.

I AGREE 100% with NINTENDO's DECISION

This is a HOMERUN

Offering those downloads for free is an amazing deal. I will own one JUST FOR THAT FEATURE. My understanding is no built in hard drive, so if it is flash memory, you can only download so much anyway...

This is a major paradigm shift, this is the same nintendo that charges 19.99 for old NES GAMES!!

This is great news.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 03:15:09 PM »

Maybe this time I'll finally make it through Chrono Trigger.  :oops:
Jocke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 03:30:46 PM »

Is there a list of nintendo titles? since the free ones were just the nintendo ones. not third party games such as Chrono Trigger. Still this is great news.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 03:43:46 PM »

This is getting reported around the net wrong, I believe.  Here is the full quote from the unedited Gamespot interview that GamesRadar is pulling from:

"GS: Do you plan on having like a per-download pricing model along the lines of the microtransactions that will be used in the next-gen Xbox marketplace?

GH: Well, we can use it in a variety of ways. We've used some of the older games already as little bonuses, either as bonus gifts or hidden in levels of games. Certainly for the first-party titles we'll be making some of those available. We haven't really talked about whether we would sell them. The third parties can make their own decision whether they want to sell them, or maybe they will add it on as sort of a free benefit when you buy a current version of the game. "

So it sounds to me like they are still deciding, though some will certainly be free.  The one thing they did talk about definitively in the interview is that they don't want their online services like online gaming to carry fees.
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 04:10:02 PM »

so how exactly does it work..are they saved to a cd, or like a memory card?   I guess they will have them available in games like in Animal Crossing where you can randomly find the original donkey kong buried outside of mr nooks store.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 04:40:45 PM »

Holy Crap.  I can finally finish FF3, or perhaps do some coop of Secret of Mana and finish these games through.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 06:13:49 PM »

Then I hope that the Revolution controller has a nice, big, solid, old school D-Pad, and not the gimpy one on the GameCube's controller.

Or makes a hologram of it or allows me to attach one or whatever the hell the Revolution's controller does.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 06:22:32 PM »

I hope a lot of third parties offer their games, even for a small fee.  It wouldn't be much work for them.  They just put the game on the download service - no advertising, manufacturing, etc.  It would also be a great way to preserve these classic games.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 07:31:49 PM »

And the Revolution has just gone from the 3rd console I'd consider to purchase to DEFINITE first.  Well done, Nintendo.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 08:50:18 PM »

I will believe it when I see it.  When they charge $19.99 for a single GBA cartridge with one classic game on it, I just don't see them offering the downloadable games for free.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 09:33:46 PM »

I think it would make more sense that you get free games based on what you purchase. Purchase the new Metroid game and get all the old ones for free, etc. This would be a good tie in of the new to old game.

Or just buy a new game and get X free ones to download, maybe the age of the system decides what you get (1 n64 vs 2 snes vs 3 nes, etc.)

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 09:39:49 PM »

Damn, Creepy, that is a really good idea!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 11:42:16 PM »

If I can EVER get my foot in the door at Nintendo, I'll suggest it Creepy. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2005, 03:33:11 AM »

In case you didn't read all the thread, kathode has it right.  Gamesradar basically misreported the Gamespot interview.

In short, what the Nintendo VP was saying was they won't charge to access the network like Live.  So downloadable content like demos or bonus levels would be free at least from Nintendo.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2005, 06:01:11 AM »

I was afraid of that.  I hope they at least won't be much.  I'd probably pay up to $10 for games that I never got around to buying, like Paper Mario for the N64.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2005, 09:11:34 AM »

I still think it's a good idea.  I don't mind paying for older games so long as it's not too much.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2005, 09:52:57 PM »

I don't think that you can use the GBA NES classics as an example, they charged 19.99 for those because they had to put them on an emulator, put that all on a cartridge, print labels and instruction books, make boxes, advertise and then ship the games to the stores. That's a lot more overhead then putting them on their intranet and letting you download to your flash cards.

Note, as of E3 the Revolution will come with a 512 flash card, from what I could garner before I wisely let my Insider account die, that Flash memory would be interchangeable. So you could plug in a Gig card and goto town. You can also use said cards to save you Revolution saves etc.

I will get a Revolution once everything is in place. I want to know when, how and how much all this will run me before I commit to another Nintendo machine. I'll probably get one just to be able to continue playing the Cube games that I enjoy, and have all the other stuff as an added bonus.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2005, 01:30:17 AM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"
Maybe this time I'll finally make it through Chrono Trigger.  :oops:

Quote from: "Turtle"
Holy Crap.  I can finally finish FF3, or perhaps do some coop of Secret of Mana and finish these games through.

...except none of those games are Nintendo-made.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jocke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2005, 09:09:20 AM »

I finally found a source that has a list of the free games.

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=revolution&message.id=95136

There are some great games in that list really. Never did finish kid icarus=)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2005, 09:19:26 AM »

Oh rats, no non first party games?

I hope they can make some sort of deal to allow those older games to be bought.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2005, 10:03:40 AM »

Cool - I forgot that Nintendo published Super Mario RPG.  I've always wanted to play that, but I was thinking Square had published it.  I would guess a lot of third parties will get on board with this.  It's basically free money for them.

Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2005, 01:25:11 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Oh rats, no non first party games?

I'm sure someone else can find the source, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo has said they're either going to have their third-party games, or they're working right now to get third-party games included in the library.

I suspect that nothing is set in stone about the download system, including the library, cost, or method.
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2005, 08:01:18 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
Cool - I forgot that Nintendo published Super Mario RPG.  I've always wanted to play that, but I was thinking Square had published it.  I would guess a lot of third parties will get on board with this.  It's basically free money for them.

Yeah, its a Square game, but Nintendo owns it (since it is Mario).

I got around to playing it about 2-3 years ago, it's very good as long as you arent expecting a hardcore RPG.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2005, 08:19:39 AM »

Man, the more I mull over this, the more I think that this is just a brilliant idea. And it pushes the unit even closer to it's "raison d'etre" (did I get that right?): to play Nintendo games. To play Zelda, to play Mario, to play Metroid and Donkey Kong and Kid Icarus and Dr. Mario and Kirby and Yoshi and Star Fox and Tetris and F-Zero and ... (Christ) Pokemon.

The Revolution is going to step away from the console wars and let MS and Sony duke it out on their own. Nintendo is going to be content to offer "their" kind of games, and I think that downloadable content such as this is going to remind gamers why they should care - why they cared back then and why they should care right now. And I ain't complaining. I love Nintendo. I'll buy whatever box it takes to play the next Zelda. If I can play A Link to the Past on it as well, then all the better.

Brilliant.

P.S. - Majora's Mask ruled all.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2005, 06:32:13 PM »

IGN has some new Revolution details up today, and among them I discovered this little interesting tidbit I hadn't heard before:

Backwards compatibility for GameCube goes beyond just the software. You'll be able to use all controllers (Wave Bird included), memory cards, the Mario Party microphone, the Dance Dance dance pad and even the Donkey Konga konga controller.

Also, in regards to free download it looks like they might not be as free as we hoped:

There's some disappointing news for those expecting these classics to be available for free. Nintendo is planning on pay downloads as being the standard for this download system. There will be many types of services, though, including limited time free downloads. One possibility mentioned by Iwata is free downloads as bonuses for buying new games.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2005, 02:18:44 AM »

You can see in the following image that a flap flips back to reveal all of the old Cube ports:

I'm not surprised that the other Cube peripherals, like the Wavebird, Bongos, or mike would work on the Revolution.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2005, 02:56:50 AM »

OR, maybe not..some revolution eh:

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000830045939/
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2005, 01:16:50 PM »

Well that's a disappointment. How is the proposed plan any different than Nintendo's current practice of selling old games (on GBA) or giving them away with other games (Animal Crossing)?
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2005, 06:10:21 PM »

Hrm, I hope Nintendo puts a lot of thought into the price scheme, whether you're downloading and purchasing games, or whether you're digitally "renting" them. I could see a system where you pay a monthly fee which allows you to play a certain number of games  from each system generation - almost like netflicks. 20 bucks a month gives you two from each system at a time, and you can switch 'em up whenever you feel like it.

Like I said earlier, I think this aspect of the Revolution is going to be huge, so I hope Nintendo handles it reasonably for both sides.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2005, 06:28:57 PM »

I hope it's a standard pricing method, i.e. you pay for a game, and then it's yours.  I think $5 for NES and SNES and $10 for N64 would be fair.  There are only a few games for which I'd pay more than that.

unbreakable
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2005, 11:09:13 PM »

Hmmm... a subscription based model might be pretty cool...

But Im thinking it will be something along the lines of Apple's iTunes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: