http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 10:10:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What do you think of the Revolution Controller?  (Voting closed: September 20, 2005, 12:55:08 PM)
Pure genius - 15 (25.4%)
Interesting idea - 27 (45.8%)
It's ok - 2 (3.4%)
Not very interested - 8 (13.6%)
Nail in Nintendo's coffin - 7 (11.9%)
Total Voters: 58

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo Revolution Controller Poll  (Read 1827 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 20, 2005, 12:55:08 PM »

Well...lets have it!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 01:00:24 PM »

I hated it at first.. Let it sink in, now Im interested.

I believe it to be a brillant strategy for Nintendo. They cant compete with Sony and Microsoft in the next generation, so they are creating a seperate market segment.

The revolution will still be number 3, but with its unique ideas, alot of gamers will own all three.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 01:24:14 PM »

At the moment, not very interested.  I will need to try it out with actual games before I can truly pass judgement.  That said, my arms are already aching with the thought of having to twirl those controllers around in the air rather than resting the controller on my lap.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 01:29:30 PM »

Depends on the games.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 01:29:47 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
That said, my arms are already aching with the thought of having to twirl those controllers around in the air rather than resting the controller on my lap.

Apparently IGN or some such place spent some time with the controller and you can rest your hand on your lap and only have to make small movements similar to a gamepad or mouse.  The waving we saw in the video was mostly for showy purposes.

Count me in as interested.  Once some games start using it we'll see if it's pure genius or not.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 01:41:38 PM »

I think it's an interesting idea, and Nintendo gets points for thinking "outside of the box", but it's going to be very difficult getting third parties on board.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 02:11:09 PM »

Right now, there's simply no way to know.  It will totally depend on the games.  I will admit that it looks silly, but the concept is interesting and some killer apps will easily make up for any aesthetics it is missing.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 02:49:17 PM »

[X] Won't know at all until I get my hands on an in-store kiosk or travelling demo truck and try the remote out personally.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 02:56:05 PM »

Revolution Sales +1 - it differentiates itself from every other console and becomes a *perfect* support console.  Gotta go with genius.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 03:31:12 PM »

Out for this one, that controller looks like a perscriprtion for arm and thumb cramps. just looks like a remote control with poor ergonomics.

Done posting
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 04:37:04 PM »

I agree with TML on this one. Nintendo has made themselves the perfect 2nd console.

I don't know whether that is a good place to be or not, but it's been profitable for Nintendo before.
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 04:39:49 PM »

An interesting idea but I call 'gimmick' just like the DS.  

It is something that should be a secondary controller, not the main focus of a system.

My Current Sig.
Visit me at: Chunite
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2005, 04:58:42 PM »

I vote pure genius. Think the DS is awesome with it's touch screen? Wait for this one.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2005, 05:33:06 PM »

Looks interesting to me.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 07:55:25 PM »

I voted Nail in the Coffin.

The ergonomics look so bad, peripheral support has long been Nintendo's achilles heel, we still no nothing about the games, the console is still underpowered (from the E3 specs-hope that this changes), and why the hell would I want to wave a remote control at the TV to play my games? I dunno, I just am skeptical. I honestly really would like it to work out.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2005, 10:04:05 PM »

Some ppl dont realize this is just a special feature to the regular controller, and I think its a good idea, and interesting, I always wanted to sword fight with a controller.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2005, 10:23:06 PM »

Quote from: "Tustin1"

I *love* it when people say that.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2005, 10:30:44 PM »

Quote from: "Darren8r"
Some ppl dont realize this is just a special feature to the regular controller, and I think its a good idea, and interesting, I always wanted to sword fight with a controller.

The picture is just a mock up that someone at IGN did. Nintendo hsn't shown what the 'shell' will look like nor whether it will be included in the box or as a separate accessory. At this point, the only thing we can assume is that the "remote control" will be the only controller included in the box.

Also, you misspelled "people" slywink
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2005, 10:43:13 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

I *love* it when people say that.

Care to elaborate?  As a secondary controller, I agree, it's a neat idea.  To expect third parties to develop for this thing is a little ridiculous, as is the plug in analog nub - nothing like a two piece controller !?@?

As far as the touch screen on the DS - most definately a gimmick as are the 6,000 iterations of the gameboy in every colour/style imaginable.

I'm a big fan of innovation but this controller lends itself more to limitation as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.1up.com/do/imageDisplay?id=2308865

My Current Sig.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2005, 10:56:42 PM »

As far as the touch screen on the DS - most definately a gimmick as are the 6,000 iterations of the gameboy in every colour/style imaginable.

I used to think the DS was a gimmick.  But there are games on the DS that cannot be played by any other platform.  And they're damn good games.  So I've just changed my mind, that's all.

There is limitation with the controller, yes, but I'd argue the possibility of innovation outweighs that.  That's my thought, anyway biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2005, 11:10:53 PM »

I love my DS and would like to see it kick the PSP's ass saleswise, but I have to agree that the touch screen is nothing but a gimmick. It sounds good in theory but the ergonomics of the DS make it useless. It's uncomfortable to use the stylus while holding the DS in one hand, and the thumb nub, while great in concept, doesn't work for most games. The DS is too wide for me to stretch my thumb to cover the whole area of the touch screen and it's frustrating to have to take my eyes off the top screen to touch any "touch buttons" on the lower half of the screen. Switching from lasers to missile in the Metroid Prime: Hunters demo is a good way to get killed because you have to look at the bottom screen to make sure your thumb is hitting the right spot.

This is my concern for the Revolution controller. Great on paper but generally unworkable in the types of games that I want to play with it.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2005, 11:23:00 PM »

The Gameboy is a gimmick?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2005, 12:21:15 AM »

Pure genius.

Perfect 2nd console.

Tustin - if you're a big fan of innovation, then "gimmicks" should be right up your alley:

Gimmick:
1a)  A device employed to cheat, deceive, or trick, especially a mechanism for the secret and dishonest control of gambling apparatus.

b)  An innovative or unusual mechanical contrivance; a gadget.

2a)  An innovative stratagem or scheme employed especially to promote a project: an advertising gimmick.

b)  A significant feature that is obscured, misrepresented, or not readily evident; a catch.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2005, 02:08:40 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Quote from: "Darren8r"

The picture is just a mock up that someone at IGN did. Nintendo hsn't shown what the 'shell' will look like nor whether it will be included in the box or as a separate accessory. At this point, the only thing we can assume is that the "remote control" will be the only controller included in the box.

Also, you misspelled "people" slywink

Sorry I was lazy, I actually copy and pasted it off a different site, and I guess they were so lazy they spelt people, ppl. lol

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2005, 11:45:17 AM »

Quote from: "warning"

LMAO - where did you pick that out of?  Was that actually said?

I assume you're referring to my statement - the gameboy itself may not be a gimmick, but the neverending different colours, styles, sizes (here comes the micro) are what I was referring to as the gimmick.

My Current Sig.
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2005, 11:50:25 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
Tustin - if you're a big fan of innovation, then "gimmicks" should be right up your alley.

Well, I already said it would be a neat idea for a secondary controller, but I stand by the fact that it shouldn't be the main controller for the system as it will limit the variety of games.

My Current Sig.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2005, 01:48:45 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

LMAO - where did you pick that out of?  Was that actually said?

I assume you're referring to my statement - the gameboy itself may not be a gimmick, but the neverending different colours, styles, sizes (here comes the micro) are what I was referring to as the gimmick.

That makes sense.  Didn't quite get that the first time through.

Well, I already said it would be a neat idea for a secondary controller, but I stand by the fact that it shouldn't be the main controller for the system as it will limit the variety of games.

I think the whole point with the new controller (at least in Nintendo's view) is that it allows for a greater variety of games.  At the very least it would make real-time strategy games more workable on consoles.

We sure won't know until the Revo has been out for a good year or so.  I hope it works out for them but I'm reserving judgement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: