http://gamingtrend.com
December 17, 2014, 08:03:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo Press Conference (DSi, Mario & Luigi 3)  (Read 3797 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2008, 05:08:00 AM »

IGN has ongoing coverage of Nintendo's press conference revealing the new DS, called the DSi.

Features a built-in three-megapixel camera (and you'll be able to edit pictures using the touch-screen). MP3-playback functionality (and you'll be able to change the pitch and playback speed of MP3s with the touch-screen). There's an SD memory card slot. Meanwhile, you'll be able to buy and download games to internal memory using "Nintendo Points."
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 06:57:22 AM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 05:17:31 AM »

If they open it up to something better than WEP, I will buy one.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 06:49:29 AM »

There were also some new games announced, most notably Punch-Out and a full-fledged Tales game for Wii, and (judging from the video) Power Pro Baseball, another Final Fantasy Fables game, (another?) Shiren The Wanderer game, and (best of all) a new Mario & Luigi RPG for the DS icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 06:58:17 AM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 01:11:48 PM »

Quote from: Lee on October 02, 2008, 05:17:31 AM

If they open it up to something better than WEP, I will buy one.

This is actually a very good point.  If they add WPA, I will buy it in a heartbeat.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 01:17:04 PM »

Great news about Mario & Luigi 3 and a new Tales game. 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 01:17:50 PM »

I don't get the DSi at all. I don't give a shit about taking photos or playing mp3s on my DS. So that leaves me with no GBA slot, more internal storage (maybe?) and an SD slot so I can buy stuff from them online? No thanks.

They should have made a true successor to the GBA/DS instead with these "features". As someone who bought an original DS (twice) and then bought a DS Lite (twice), I have no desire to upgrade again. If they release a megaton game like a new Metroid/Zelda DS and it's only available on the DSi via online sale, I will be mega-pissed.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 01:21:49 PM »

Will the DSi have rumble built in?  This is the main thing I use the GBA slot for.  I'd like to have the option to use GBA games, but at this point I don't really use it any more for that.  I don't think I'd like to lose the rumble, though.

And, yes, they'd better increase the WiFi security options, or there's no way in hell I'd get one.

My DS has been acting wonky lately with stroke recognition (certain zones just aren't as responsive any more), so I'm in the market for a new one, but I don't need all the extra crap, either.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 01:25:17 PM »

Double post, sorry, but this needs it's own section:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/02/nintendos-wii-storage-solution-load-from-sd-cards-coming-spri/

Games to load from the SD card!!!!! WOOHOO!!

I'm just pissed they can't get this to happen before Spring.  It feels like they're just holding this and Wii MotionPlus back to pump sales in the Spring.  Both are things I want now that sound like they don't need months to get going.  I know that's probably not the case, but that's how it feels.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 01:28:18 PM »

Quote from: JCC on October 02, 2008, 01:17:50 PM

As someone who bought an original DS (twice) and then bought a DS Lite (twice), I have no desire to upgrade again.

Isn't that a good thing?  Are we really ready for a follow-on to the DS?  Personally, I like it when these companies announce hardware that I have no interest in- saves me money.  So I'm actually kind of pissed about the PSP 3000 because it seems like it fixes my biggest complaint with the PSP even after getting a PSP 2000- the refresh rate on the screen.  
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 02:03:33 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 02, 2008, 01:28:18 PM

Isn't that a good thing?  Are we really ready for a follow-on to the DS?  Personally, I like it when these companies announce hardware that I have no interest in- saves me money.  So I'm actually kind of pissed about the PSP 3000 because it seems like it fixes my biggest complaint with the PSP even after getting a PSP 2000- the refresh rate on the screen.  

You make a good point. smile

I was really more worried about what I said in my earlier reply: a must have title that's online only.

-John

biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 02:22:49 PM »

I don't get the DSi at all. I don't give a shit about taking photos or playing mp3s on my DS. So that leaves me with no GBA slot, more internal storage (maybe?) and an SD slot so I can buy stuff from them online? No thanks.

They should have made a true successor to the GBA/DS instead with these "features". As someone who bought an original DS (twice) and then bought a DS Lite (twice), I have no desire to upgrade again. If they release a megaton game like a new Metroid/Zelda DS and it's only available on the DSi via online sale, I will be mega-pissed.

What Nintendo DS? Looks like kid's toy, and I have Gameboy Advance, I will stick to cool looking PSP.

Few months later.... I am proud owner of Red Nintendo DS... This is the shit!

What Nintendo DS Lite? Why should I spend more money for same shit! I will stick to my regular DS and still cool looking but less played PSP.

Few months later.... Man~ this brand new Pink DS Lite is the shit!

What Nintendo DSi? Whay should I spend more money for almost same shit! I will stick to my Pink DS Lite and still cool looking but almost never played PSP.

Few months later ???  icon_biggrin
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 02:35:29 PM »

About flippin' time that Nintendo is opening up the SD slot to do anything but be a poor backup device. Too them long enough.

And about the new DS - I'm shocked that they didn't beef up the internal power of the device and have it connect to the Wii to temp transfer your VC games to it. The new speed wouldn't have been able to be used for anything but playing VC games, but I think it would've pulled in a TON of sales so people can play their VC purchases on the go. Oh, and it would've increased the number of VC games bought, too.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 02:38:26 PM »

Another hardware revision from Nintendo.  Thanks? 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 02:48:15 PM »

After reading some of the posts in this thread I am starting to understand why Nintendo has sold a bazillion DS's. Not only does everyone own one by now. But it appears that many people have bought 3 or 4 of them.  icon_eek

Personally I find taking pictures and playing MP3s on the DS completely useless.  It doesn't matter though.  They will sell like hotcakes.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 02:51:21 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 02:51:43 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 02, 2008, 02:35:29 PM

About flippin' time that Nintendo is opening up the SD slot to do anything but be a poor backup device. Too them long enough.

And about the new DS - I'm shocked that they didn't beef up the internal power of the device and have it connect to the Wii to temp transfer your VC games to it. The new speed wouldn't have been able to be used for anything but playing VC games, but I think it would've pulled in a TON of sales so people can play their VC purchases on the go. Oh, and it would've increased the number of VC games bought, too.

That's an excellent idea, but what makes you think they need more power to play VC games?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 02:56:07 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 02, 2008, 02:51:43 PM

That's an excellent idea, but what makes you think they need more power to play VC games?

The PSP even struggles with SNES emulation.  While I expect that Nintendo's expertise with the hardware would probably allow for robust SNES emulation on the DS, I think the DS is overall probably too underpowered to handle the range of platforms that the VC offers without a lot of really hard work on the part of Nintendo engineers as well as each hardware creator (Neo Geo, Genesis, Turbo Grafx, etc). 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 03:00:08 PM »

so now Nintendo can sell another bajillion DS's.  NiM$!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 03:19:21 PM »

My thoughts exactly, the DSi is a big yawn for me.  Based on how much I've struggled with internal storage management on the Wii with downloaded games, the fact you won't be able to save DS downloads to a SD card is IMO bullshit. With the amount of money Big N is making you'd think they could at least come up with some fool proof encryption scheme that would allow for that.

The game announcements are good news; definitely interested in a number of those titles.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 05:32:22 PM »

Other news from the conference:

- Metroid Prime 1&2 getting budget releases with Wiimote Controls
- Fire Emblem DS releasing first half 2009

I'm ecstatic about the Metroid Prime ports.  MP3's controls were fantastic and I'd love to play the first two games using them. 
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 05:39:19 PM »

Another point to make is that the PSP is stealing a lot of thunder, essentially among younger gamers.  For instance, many of the younger, casual gamers that I know don't want a DS.  Why?  They can play music with their PSP, or go online with it.  This essentially negates that advantage, and at a cheaper price.  Good on Nintendo.
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 05:51:15 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 02, 2008, 05:32:22 PM

I'm ecstatic about the Metroid Prime ports.  MP3's controls were fantastic and I'd love to play the first two games using them. 

Wow, I hope that the MP releases come out relatively soon. It would be great if they addressed the screwed up difficulty in MP2, as that really ruined the experience for me but I would still get it with the superior control scheme.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 06:54:06 PM »

They're also rereleasing Pikmin for the Wii with motion control.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 06:56:09 PM by EddieA » Logged

GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 07:28:50 PM »

*yawn*

I can't figure out why I would want this new DS.  Oh well, never bought a PSP.  Could be time to finally get one, now that the 3000 is coming out.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 07:43:01 PM »

i would assume that this new version has some built in preventions against hacking.  not that it matters, as it basically only adds a small camera on top of a homebrewed ds.  big yawn. 

this should have had vc capability in it.  that would have been a difference.  did they add a built in net browser or do you still need to fork over $ for the hard to find opera card?

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 07:43:48 PM »

Wow.  Now Nintendo can flog us with the same franchises over and over without even having to make new versions.

Maybe we can get Mario Kart with waggle controls...

Oh wait...

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 07:50:12 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 07:52:15 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 02, 2008, 07:43:01 PM

i would assume that this new version has some built in preventions against hacking.  not that it matters, as it basically only adds a small camera on top of a homebrewed ds.  big yawn. 

this should have had vc capability in it.  that would have been a difference.  did they add a built in net browser or do you still need to fork over $ for the hard to find opera card?

There is a built in browser.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 08:49:08 PM »

Since hacking can go straight through the DS Card, odds are low that this will cut down on hacking.  In fact, I'll bet that why they haven't wanted to use an SD slot for so long.  Should be interesting seeing what protections, if any, they've built into the slots and how quickly people will be able to get around them.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 03:19:26 AM »

1Up has a short preview for Mario & Luigi 3, while Gametrailers has the first trailer.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 01:19:54 PM »

Wow.  Now Nintendo can flog us with the same franchises over and over without even having to make new versions.

Oh wait...

+1

icon_biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 04:04:52 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 02, 2008, 05:32:22 PM

I have the first 2 Primes sitting around, waiting for me to get to them.  With this news they may sit around longer.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2008, 06:54:56 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 03, 2008, 01:19:54 PM

Oh wait...

+1

icon_biggrin

Here's what I don't get:  What do you expect Nintendo to do?  It's their job to make money, and these franchises make money.  When they try going somewhere else (like Eternal Darkness), they don't make money.  Do you expect them not to use their money-making franchises when they have a chance?  I mean, how many copies has Mario Kart Wii sold?  Do you think they're kicking themselves over selling Mario Kart Wii?

Here's the deal:  Nintendo makes a lot of games that are in the 70-95 range, with very few out-and-out duds.  Could they mix it up a little every once in a while?  Yeah, they could.  But since their games sell and sell so well, well, money talks, and Nintendo knows how to listen better than a lot of companies.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 07:11:33 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on October 03, 2008, 06:54:56 PM

Here's what I don't get:  What do you expect Nintendo to do?

What's funnier to me, is 99% of the people complaining about the rehashing of franchises probably all bought or will buy Halo 3, GTA4, Rock Band 2, Madden #8 billion, NHL #7 billion, Fable 2, Guitar Hero 4, God of War 3, Final Fantasy 13, Gran Turismo 5, the new Midnight Club, the new Need for Speed, Call of Duty 5, Fallout 3, PGR4, Prince of Persia 4, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2,  etc.

Yes Nintendo milks their franchises as does EA, Microsoft, Sony, Ubisoft, Valve, Eidos, Atari, Blizzard, etc etc etc.

In fact when people DON'T release sequels for games, then they REALLY get mad. People are clamoring for Eternal Darkness 2, Beyond Good and Evil 2, System Shock 3, Baldurs Gate 3, Ultima X, Thief 4, etc etc etc

Should Nintendo introduce more new franchises? Absolutely. Should they stop producing sequels? Absolutely not.

-John

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 11:20:07 PM »

I don't see any problem with sequels, but it just seems like Nintendo has gotten lazy with some of their franchises lately.  It's kind of like having the Iron Chefs working at McDonald's.  Sure, you'll get a really good cheeseburger, but you wonder what they could be doing if they were really trying.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2008, 03:25:13 PM »

A number of sites are mentioning this SD card deal as a special card that Nintendo is releasing.  In other words, the 2GB card that I have in there will be useless, and I need to buy their version.  This better be bullshit. 

I'll happily download whatever proprietary file system they want.  I'll reformat the card I have, no problem, but if I have to buy some special card, I'm going to be pissed. 

I remember someone at Big N (maybe even Reggie) saying that they were working on a system that wouldn't cost us anything. 

Grrrrness rising.

This would explain why they're making us wait until the Spring.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2008, 05:58:09 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 04, 2008, 03:25:13 PM

A number of sites are mentioning this SD card deal as a special card that Nintendo is releasing.  In other words, the 2GB card that I have in there will be useless, and I need to buy their version.  This better be bullshit. 

I'll happily download whatever proprietary file system they want.  I'll reformat the card I have, no problem, but if I have to buy some special card, I'm going to be pissed. 

I remember someone at Big N (maybe even Reggie) saying that they were working on a system that wouldn't cost us anything. 

Grrrrness rising.

This would explain why they're making us wait until the Spring.

A special card might be the only way they can try to fight piracy.  Just a guess.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2008, 07:59:38 PM »

There's no way that Nintendo would be that stupid to pull something like that off. Just heavily restrict what the DS normally can do with the SD card (viewing and saving pictures, listen to mp3 files, etc etc), and they'll be fine. As long as Nintendo doesn't allow you to natively (as the pirating community will find a way around it) run apps off the SD card, it'll be fine and stop the casual pirate that doesn't purchase anything additional to run illegal games (see PSP, Dreamcast, and now the Wii (some beta program that I've heard works decently well)).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2008, 08:19:12 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 04, 2008, 07:59:38 PM

There's no way that Nintendo would be that stupid to pull something like that off. Just heavily restrict what the DS normally can do with the SD card (viewing and saving pictures, listen to mp3 files, etc etc), and they'll be fine. As long as Nintendo doesn't allow you to natively (as the pirating community will find a way around it) run apps off the SD card, it'll be fine and stop the casual pirate that doesn't purchase anything additional to run illegal games (see PSP, Dreamcast, and now the Wii (some beta program that I've heard works decently well)).

They will be giving you the ability to download games.  Where do you think those will go?  If there is something as easy as an SD card to use, they will exploit it and pirate it in no time.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2008, 09:13:03 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 04, 2008, 07:59:38 PM

We're talking about the Wii running games off of an SD card, not the DS here.  Sorry if that was confusing.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2008, 10:18:52 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 04, 2008, 09:13:03 PM

We're talking about the Wii running games off of an SD card, not the DS here.  Sorry if that was confusing.

Ah, then nevermind.  With the Wii, though, they've already homebrewed that one with the straight up SD cards.  Now, it could be these cards are made in some way to allow for games to run more efficiently than if they had been on a normal SD card.  I had always heard the argument that the reason they didn't allow you to run games off of SD was because it was too slow.  Could these special cards combat that somehow?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2008, 11:16:28 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 04, 2008, 10:18:52 PM

I had always heard the argument that the reason they didn't allow you to run games off of SD was because it was too slow.  Could these special cards combat that somehow?

Depending on how much you pay for your SD card (this also holds true with USB 2.0 flash drives, CF cards, etc etc), there's a difference between max transfer speeds. But there's no 'special' card that'll enable gaming off of.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: