http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 02:31:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo gets stupid...  (Read 3588 times)
jpinard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2005, 06:24:20 AM »

All I can say is... redesign the Gameboy Advance?  again?  make it smaller with no added tech?  http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/17/technology/personaltech/e3_newgba/index.htm?cnn=yes

wow, they must be desparate.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 06:56:18 AM »

With a 2" screen. My eyes are watering already.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 06:58:47 AM »

Yeah, gimmicks.  But considering that they probably can make these very cheaply (old gba hardware) means that every unit would be sold at a profit, whereas other companies depend on games to make the money.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 07:03:42 AM »

I think this will be pretty hot actually.  When my wife heard about it (she's a school teacher) she immediately envisioned every kid in class wanting one- easy to carry in pocket and easy to conceal while sitting in class.  

Assuming its cheap enough I think it'll do well.  I can see people permanently putting Tetris, Dr. Mario, or what have you in it and pulling it out sitting in traffic, waiting in the doctor's office, etc.  For women in particular it would fit great in a purse.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 07:55:09 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
I think this will be pretty hot actually.  When my wife heard about it (she's a school teacher) she immediately envisioned every kid in class wanting one- easy to carry in pocket and easy to conceal while sitting in class.  

Assuming its cheap enough I think it'll do well.  I can see people permanently putting Tetris, Dr. Mario, or what have you in it and pulling it out sitting in traffic, waiting in the doctor's office, etc.  For women in particular it would fit great in a purse.

I think with all of Nintendo's announcements and projects, they are cementing their subconscious effort to use stay in the kiddie market, and move themselves further away from the adolescent and adult market.  But it will only work, if its abysmally cheap.

But I'm curious...  Who's making handheld games for people with big hands?
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 10:53:58 AM »

I sense a strategy.  If they keep making tech improvements to their GB line, they keep it current while improving the tech they are working with.  That way they maintain their market, keep their experience current, and learn things they can fold into their next generation product.

Ive always said, if Nintendo ended up moving into the cell phone/pda market, they could totally own it with a well designed product.  It would be a genius coup of moving their existing customer base into a product with more features, all the while gaining even more new customers.

Nokia's NGage had the right idea, but failed in execution because they have absolutely no experience in games or platforms.  Nokia, Palm, etc. (maybe even Apple) should be very worried about that happening.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 01:27:17 PM »

I couldn't bear to use the GBA SP due to the tiny screen - this is a big ol' step in the wrong direction.  Though that apparently is Nintendo's modus operandi these days... :/
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 01:27:59 PM »

Bad move.
Terrible idea.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 02:03:31 PM »

Fucking stupid.  

Really just stupid.  Look at the games list for the GBA and you see a wasteland. They think that lineup will move units?  No, they expect the established library to move new units but how long do they really think they can keep milking the same games?

So the GBA, the GBA SP, and now this tiny POS all will play GBA games.  Why buy one over the other?  Hell at least is you buy a DS you can play GBA games plus the handful of DS games.

I love my GBA, probably my favorite console but I really am starting to dislike Nintendo.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 04:02:10 PM »

I think this is just further evidence of how Japan-centric Nintendo has become.  Smaller and more gadgety = Japan who sell out every version of the GBA that comes out (including ones that are not redesigns like the mini, just "look at this shiny color, oooh...").  The other two have the US in mind (though MS is making a big and possibly successful push for Japan this year), while the big N has turned inward to Japan.  Though really who can blame them?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 03:12:24 AM »

I don`t think it`s that bad of an idea... I guess most don`t think like me. I could see not agreeing with them for this, but getting mad about it :roll: .
 I think if these are priced right they`ll sell really well. It`s smart to still work on these type of things for the gba audience. If they don`t make money on the gba, where will they?
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 04:09:39 AM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
I don`t think it`s that bad of an idea... I guess most don`t think like me. I could see not agreeing with them for this, but getting mad about it :roll: .
 I think if these are priced right they`ll sell really well. It`s smart to still work on these type of things for the gba audience. If they don`t make money on the gba, where will they?

The smart thing would have been to not just duplicate the same exact thing eveyrone already has... but to add more technology and capabilities to the games it can play.  You can only rewrap the same thing so many times...  then again, if it's super cheap it will sell - and that in turn will help GBA games to continue selling (though not very well with the new competition on the block).  But if this thing is more than $50, I think its a huge mistake.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 05:57:04 AM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Fucking stupid.  

Really just stupid.  Look at the games list for the GBA and you see a wasteland. They think that lineup will move units?  No, they expect the established library to move new units but how long do they really think they can keep milking the same games?

So the GBA, the GBA SP, and now this tiny POS all will play GBA games.  Why buy one over the other?  Hell at least is you buy a DS you can play GBA games plus the handful of DS games.

I love my GBA, probably my favorite console but I really am starting to dislike Nintendo.

From our perspective, it is fucking stupid.  But from a marketing standpoint, it's pretty smart.  This thing'll probably fly off the shelf come holiday time.  If they price it right, it's going to be big with the kids.  Maybe it'll be good for the casual gamer (read: women) but I doubt it.  Won't work with us but we're in the minority (though that's changing rapidly) here.  They essentially milk another product out of an existing design and put some more money in the bank.

Sort of like the way movie companies put out multiple versions of the same movie.  Standard, Director's, Unrated, Enhanced, etc.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2005, 08:04:55 PM »

They already double-dipped once so I would be suprised if this sells as well. The convenience of a GBA mini is not quite the same as the convenience of an IPod mini.

The SP sold nicely as it made improvements to some of the initial GBA shortcomings (control layout/backlight). That alone made it worth a second purchase. You're not getting any type of improvement here, it's relying soley on the portability factor which, unless I'm totally missing here, wasn't that big of an issue with the SP.

You would think they would want to keep their focus on the DS as is and making improvements to that if nessisary.

I will be curious to see how this pans out though. If anything if the price is inexpensive it may sell well for those Gamecube owners who don't have a GBA and are curious about the GBA support in some of the games. I guess they might get a few hundred sales out of that market.  :wink:
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 09:03:19 PM »

I just wonder why we care? It's not for us, maybe they think there's a market for it. How does that make them retarded?

I don't understand how them making something like this hinders you or your enjoyment of their videogames? Nintendo is a hugenormous company, so I don't very much resources went into the GBA mini that would sufficiently harm the development of any other hardware or software.

In fact, last I checked, the DS was looking pretty damned hot with all the software they are showing off. So I guess they're doing okay.

Maybe someone here can flick the switch and tell me why I should care or get worked up about something like this. Seriously, I heard the news and said "MEH"; it's not intended for me and I am still getting great games, so why should I care.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 09:08:22 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
I just wonder why we care? It's not for us, maybe they think there's a market for it. How does that make them retarded?
Because it's yet another case of Nintendo being horribly out of touch with the prime market.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 09:18:12 PM »

okay, but we already knew this, how or why does it upset people so much? To me the GBA mini was such an insignificant part of what they're doing I don't think it really affects how in or out of touch they are. It something they are doing to make some extra cash. They're still working on a next gen system with some decent features and they're definately strongly supporting the DS, and the GBA mini seems like an afterthought, so why get upset over something so insignificant.

It seems like we're caring more than we should.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 10:20:21 PM »

It's just a GBA re-design that targets a specific gaming segment.  The DS was only recently released and some of you are expecting another portable system launch?

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 11:31:22 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"

I don't understand how them making something like this hinders you or your enjoyment of their videogames?

I hope this wasn't a direct reply to my message posting as your putting a lot of words in my mouth. I don't think Nintendo is retarted nor did I give any indication that something like this would hinder my enjoyment of video games. How could this for anyone?

I am interested in the computer/video game market and do like to see what works and doesn't. This seems like an odd choice for a release which is why I am interested in discussing it and reading what other people think on the matter.

We'll see how this pans out. I would honestly be surprised if it has anywhere near the success of the SP.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2005, 12:32:09 AM »

Nah Crawley, this my reply was for the OP and some of the others who are overreacting to what is an insignificant part of Nintendo's plan.

unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 01:37:28 AM »

Will the mini GBA still be able to connect to the GC?
Dinkytoy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 04:14:44 AM »

Sounds like a very cool product to me.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2005, 06:35:12 AM »

All Nintendo is doing is providing potential customers with a choice.  If you want the regular-sized GBA, buy that, and if you want something smaller, buy the Micro.  If you already have a GBA, you're not missing out on anything by not getting the new one.  Nintendo makes money, and customers have more choice.  What's wrong with that?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2005, 07:14:28 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
All Nintendo is doing is providing potential customers with a choice.  If you want the regular-sized GBA, buy that, and if you want something smaller, buy the Micro.  If you already have a GBA, you're not missing out on anything by not getting the new one.  Nintendo makes money, and customers have more choice.  What's wrong with that?

true... but I wonder how much development dollars went into that?  I think some people would have prefered they put that money into DS games development, or a DS design that's not so darn uncomfortable for big hands.
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2005, 02:36:53 PM »

Hey, if it's fifty bucks, I'll buy it. The screen is back-lit, finally. I'm sure the image is sharp. Too bad it's so small, but it's the same size as my cell phone screen that I play games on. I'm always a little worried about exposed screens, but the faceplate is replaceable and I hope that includes the screen.

This probably isn't for the hardcore gamer who hangs out on videogame message boards parsing every press release, but it might be for his wife. I know my spouse wouldn't carry a GBA or even an SP, even though she loves Wario Ware, but this little "lipstick GBA" might fit the bill. There are other markets besides the hardcore gamers like us, and Nintendo seems to be the only company to acknowledge that (or exploit, if you like). I think the "big hand" market is out of luck, though.

Gamers seem almost pathologically unable to separate what they want from what makes business sense. By now it must cost next to nothing to make the GBA. If Nintendo can recycle that tech and make money, so what? If you love Nintendo, be glad they're still raking it in. That means more money for R&D, game development, third-party bribes, etc. If you hate Nintendo, well, I guess it's a real thumb in your eye, ain't it?

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2005, 04:46:38 PM »

Quote from: "adamsappel"

Gamers seem almost pathologically unable to separate what they want from what makes business sense.

But that's just it - it doesn't make business sense.  It might be dirt cheap to make - still doesn't make it a good idea.  What's the target market here?  People who don't have a GBA SP but might be interested if it was smaller and don't mind the smaller screen?  That seems like a *very* narrow demographic to me.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2005, 04:58:37 PM »

I think it makes business sense. Introducing a new hardware model deters stores from reducing shelf space currently devoted to the GBA.  With all the new platforms just released and coming out, releasing new hardware ensures that the GBA won't be totally lost this holiday season. Retail is driven by promotions. Even with just a minor face lift, retailers will still devote ad space to the "new" GBA on the same pages they're touting the DS, PSP and 360.  

I basically see this as a low risk way for Nintendo to reassure fans, retailers, and developers that they still see the GBA as a viable platform, even if they can't release as many Nintendo titles for it since they're devoting so many resources to the DS, GC & Revolution.
zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2005, 08:45:31 PM »

this move to a new gba makes plenty of sense. i wish they had not reduced the screen though.

the new gba is going to be the cheapest system on the market and from day one it will have the largest game library next to the pc.

and as far as the list of games? every company out there is making a game for this system. always have. the cube may have lost support from developers. but hell, even microsoft owned rare still makes games for the gba.

this system has always been made for children (and fun loving adults). the price point is going to insure that it continues to sell. guranteed.

nintendo continues to piss off adult gamers, but many of us will still welcome their gaming products into our homes. right? nostalgia is a powerful tool. slywink
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2005, 09:18:01 PM »

I think I'm going to amend my earlier comments to say, "It makes good sense to give retailers new hardware, but only if said hardware doesn't suck." Here's what Mike Goodman, industry analyst for Yankee Group, had to say about the GBA micro:

Quote from: "Mike Goodman"

"I first saw it and yeah, it was kinda cool," Goodman admits. "Then I got to look at it and it's hard to read the text on it. It's actually hard to use, at least for anybody over the age of 8. Your hands are too big. Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should do something, and this is a product that fits into that category."

link: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/20/news_6126197.html
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2005, 11:13:21 PM »

Did 8-year olds stop playing the GBA?  Are there not a huge amount of GBA games geared towards children?  Will Nintendo not be making money off of this venture?  Can you not find something else to entertain your gargantuan man hands?  I still fail to see what the problem is.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2005, 04:53:52 AM »

I played with it a bit today.  Way too small.  The only cool thing about it is that it was tethered to a hot blonde slywink  She had a utility belt with 4-5 of them attached, so it looked like she had a bunch of nerds on leashes.

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2005, 02:26:19 PM »

how many guys do you think asked if she came with the system? ugh.
T-Dub
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2005, 03:19:57 PM »

I've taken my daughter to her orthodontist appointments the last 3 times and every time we are there I see at least 2 kids in the waiting room playing a gameboy.  It seems that I see them everywhere (especially when a deadline is near), and reflecting on this I can see where the Micro will be a hit.  It will not take over the SP like the SP did for the GBA, however, there are many people who wouldn't carry around an SP, but would carry around a Micro.  It doesn't look like a clunky gaming machine, it looks like a slick little gadget.

I wear glasses and probably need a new pair.  The screen size was fine and reading text was surprisingly easy (I figured it would be difficult on the small screen, but it isn't).  It is almost like the PSP, in that you are surprised how good the screen looks when you expected less quality.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2005, 03:40:25 PM »

ONe thing I noticed.... and maybe it's just screen resizing?  But does the micro screen have a different aspect ratio than the SP?  It looks a bit wider...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: