http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 09:40:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo DSi US launch slated for April 5th, $169.99  (Read 3625 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2009, 11:28:21 PM »

Its been out in Japan since November 1st of last year, but this April 5th is as good a time as any for Nintendo to finally launch the DSi in the United States. With the MSRP set at $169.99, Nintendo is hoping that potential customers will be able to overlook the somewhat steep price as a small cost when compared to the advantages the DSi has over its predecessors, the DS and DS Lite. Equipped with a VGA camera on the rear of the system and one on the front which can be used in part to control certain aspects of supported games, the DSi is roughly 12% thinner than the DS Lite and features more spacious 3.25″ displays. A word of caution: If you plan to sell your existing DS/DS Lite and upgrade to the DSi you might want to reconsider if you plan on getting some more mileage out of your Game Boy Advance cartridges - there is no longer a slot for them. Game on!

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/02/18/nintendo-dsi-us-launch-slated-for-april-5-16999-msrp/

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 12:00:31 AM »

No GBA slot, no upgrade.  I mean, chances of me playing another GBA game are somewhat slim-ish...but if that rare, undiscovered gem somehow falls into my lap, I don't want to buy a micro or something.

Sorry, Nintendo!

(I just checked and it's coming in black and blue...and my hopes of having an all-blue gadget theme had me interest.  But good LORD, the blue they choose, this coral light blue, is HIDEOUS!)

TheMissingLink on PSN
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 12:20:33 AM »

$170 for 10% thinner unit, a little bit larger screen, and a camera I would never use?  No thanks.

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 12:34:38 AM »

Once again, Nintendo has come up with something so gimmicky, useless and unnecessary that nobody will want it. Their track record is horrible with things like this and I bet they hardly sell any.

IN!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 02:56:45 AM by Devil » Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 12:43:11 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 19, 2009, 12:20:33 AM

$170 for 10% thinner unit, a little bit larger screen, and a camera I would never use?  No thanks.

Pretty much. I think the DS size is perfect. Any smaller and I would probably cramp my hands trying to find a comfortable place.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 01:03:53 AM »

I do like some of the other enhancements, like the larger screen (I might try 7 Wonders again), the ability to adjust screen brightness from within a game, having volume buttons instead of a slider (YAY!), and being able to hotswap carts. Honestly, when I look at that list, it's really as much or more of an upgrade than the DS Lite was and I think the new Matte finish will be nice too.

I plan to get one, but I won't be giving up my DSLite. Having the GBA slot for peripherals and concerns over region encoding guarantee that.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 02:49:01 AM »

Quote from: Devil on February 19, 2009, 12:34:38 AM

Once again, Nintendo has come up with something so gimmicky, useless and unnecessary that nobody will want it. Their track record is horrible with things like this and I bet the hardly sell any.

IN!

OUT!  Tongue
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 03:17:17 AM »

Didn't most of us agree that, when it launched in Japan, it will fail?
Didn't most of us agree that, since people had DS Lite already, it will not sell?
Didn't most of us agree that, since it does not have GBA slot that we almost never use, it will fail and not sell?

Well...didn't it sold like billion in Japan?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 03:23:29 AM »

I have no doubt it will sell a quagillion units, I just won't be one of them.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 04:41:53 AM »

Nintendo knows how to market so you know it'll bring in some decent numbers.

I thought I read somewhere a while back there'd also be a web browser included with the DSi. If that's true, I'd probably consider picking up on myself. (Always been more of a PSP fan as I need good graphics.)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 05:06:28 AM »

Quote from: biggercup on February 19, 2009, 03:17:17 AM

Didn't most of us agree that, when it launched in Japan, it will fail?
Didn't most of us agree that, since people had DS Lite already, it will not sell?
Didn't most of us agree that, since it does not have GBA slot that we almost never use, it will fail and not sell?

Well...didn't it sold like billion in Japan?

who would doubt a DS not selling? Maybe if my 2nd DS breaks i'll get one, but no use to replace it.
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 07:15:42 AM »

Are they going to phase out the DS Lite like they phased out the original DS? If so, this will sell very well.

Heck, even if not, it'll still sell like hotcakes. I'd sooner part with that kind of money for a PSP, though, and see what's up with that. Quite happy with my DS Lite, though I wish it were bigger like my cherished red Mario Kart original DS. Smaller is the wrong way to go for adults with large hands like me.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 12:46:30 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 19, 2009, 03:23:29 AM

Yep.

I haven't touched a handheld in months.  Books are my handheld at the mo.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 01:48:05 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on February 19, 2009, 12:46:30 PM

This has happened to me as well, for some reason.  I tend to pull out a book on the plane instead of the DS (or, god forbid, my PSP).  About the only handheld gaming I do now is on the iPhone because I can do something like WordJong and play for 5 minutes at the most.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 02:03:36 PM »

No interest at all in this version of the DS. I'll stick with my DSL thank you very much.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 02:48:36 PM »

Quote from: Old Negus on February 19, 2009, 07:15:42 AM

Are they going to phase out the DS Lite like they phased out the original DS? If so, this will sell very well.

Probably not anytime soon due to the $40 price disparity. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 03:09:30 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on February 19, 2009, 12:46:30 PM

Quote from: Gratch on February 19, 2009, 03:23:29 AM

Yep.

I have strange handheld behavior.  They'll gather dust for 9 months of the year, then will suddenly get a flood of good games and I can't put them down for 3 months straight.  I'm currently in the middle of that cycle with my PSP.  I hadn't even turned it on for about 6 months, then got LocoRoco 2, Star Ocean 2, and Final Fantasy VII:  Crisis Core in the space of 2 days.  Now I'm completely hooked on it again.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 05:09:59 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 19, 2009, 03:09:30 PM

I have strange handheld behavior.  They'll gather dust for 9 months of the year,

I'm similar. Usually 6 months out of the year I'm ignoring them then I'll get a hankering and I'll play for 3 or 4 months.

But it has been a long while since I've sought out books and set aside time to read them...so I've got to run with this while I can.  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 05:20:22 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 19, 2009, 12:20:33 AM

same here.  i don't need another crappy res camera.  my phone does that just well. 

if my dsl breaks, i would only get one if i couldn't find a new or used good quality dsl. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 06:04:50 PM »

I just hope that people start shedding their DSLites so that I can pick one up on the cheap.  I'm still rolling with a Phat.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 08:41:07 PM »

I'll wait for the next version, which you know there will be! I like the sound of 12% slimmer, and the slightly larger screen, but not enough to "upgrade."  I agree on the camera idea, too - my cell phone is all I need except for special events like weddings.  And I don't think pulling out a Nintendo product in the church would be my first choice, I do have an actual camera.

Besides, does it come in Zelda gold? No? Fogeddaboudit!   icon_twisted

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 08:54:29 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on February 19, 2009, 05:09:59 PM

But it has been a long while since I've sought out books and set aside time to read them...so I've got to run with this while I can.  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Derail:  Last year, I decided to pick a few "modern classics" that I had either glossed over back in high school or just completely missed the first time around, and take another crack at them.  Stuff like Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Brave New World, Catcher in the Rye, One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest, Ender's Game, Lord of the Flies, etc.  I found myself reading a ton more than I normally did, and was amazed at how incredibly awesome (or incredibly overhyped, in some cases) some of these books really were.  I've since slipped back into my standard pulp fantasy stuff,  but it was a great exercise while it lasted and reminds me that I need to pick a few more "classics" to read through this year.  I think Beowulf is calling my name...

OK, back to your regularly scheduled program.  smile

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 19, 2009, 08:54:29 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on February 19, 2009, 05:09:59 PM

Derail:  Last year, I decided to pick a few "modern classics" that I had either glossed over back in high school or just completely missed the first time around, and take another crack at them.  Stuff like Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Brave New World, Catcher in the Rye, One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest, Ender's Game, Lord of the Flies, etc.  I found myself reading a ton more than I normally did, and was amazed at how incredibly awesome (or incredibly overhyped, in some cases) some of these books really were.  I've since slipped back into my standard pulp fantasy stuff,  but it was a great exercise while it lasted and reminds me that I need to pick a few more "classics" to read through this year.  I think Beowulf is calling my name...

OK, back to your regularly scheduled program.  smile

I am going to keep this tangent alive for one more post and say that I have recently been considering doing the same thing.  I have planned on getting out there and grabbing some of the classics that weren't assigned to me in school:  Catcher in the Rye, Farenheit 451, etc. and reading them.  I'll probably pick up the first of these when I am done with Book 2 of The Baroque Cycle (I read the first one and had to take a nice long break because it had its moments where it was cumbersome to read and I have come across a spot in the second one which is the same).

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 09:10:56 PM »

I just hope that people start shedding their DSLites so that I can pick one up on the cheap.  I'm still rolling with a Phat.

I'll probably have one for you!  icon_biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 11:14:26 PM »

If I have a bit of extra cash, I may upgrade, just because my current DS isn't registering the stylus as precisely as it should. 

Does anyone know if this thing has rumble built in?  I'd be sad to lose the rumble feature.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 11:31:46 PM »

Nah.  I just got a DS Lite and am very happy with it.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 11:55:11 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 19, 2009, 11:14:26 PM

Does anyone know if this thing has rumble built in?  I'd be sad to lose the rumble feature.

When did DS' get a rumble feature?

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 11:58:45 PM »

If I have a bit of extra cash, I may upgrade, just because my current DS isn't registering the stylus as precisely as it should. 

1. You can recalibrate it in the options.

2. Sell it to Eel Snave in 'as is condition'  icon_twisted
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 11:59:03 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 19, 2009, 11:55:11 PM

When did DS' get a rumble feature?

It's a GBA cartridge...
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 12:30:29 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on February 19, 2009, 11:58:45 PM

1. You can recalibrate it in the options.

2. Sell it to Eel Snave in 'as is condition'  icon_twisted

As for 1, I have recalibrated it many times.  It's just off, somehow.

As for 2, er, um, it's as new as off the factory floor (assuming it dropped on the factory floor).

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 02:33:33 PM »

Long commercial type video on Youtube

They do seem to have put a lot of fun stuff into the camera software.  Still kinda pointless sense every phone seems to have a camera these days.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2009, 09:47:28 PM »

Anyone gonna pick one up?  I want to resist but I think I am just kidding myself.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2009, 09:54:26 PM »

I have mine preordered with Amazon, but I don't think I get it until like the 7th, even with next day shipping.  If it doesn't show as shipped already by Sunday, I might go out and try to get one and then cancel.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on February 19, 2009, 06:04:50 PM

Hey that's a good idea. I might finally get a DS Lite if I start seeing them being sold on the cheap.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2009, 10:06:53 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on February 20, 2009, 02:33:33 PM

They do seem to have put a lot of fun stuff into the camera software.  Still kinda pointless sense every phone seems to have a camera these days.

I hope I don't offend anyone when I say ... those features in that video are incredibly lame for a handheld gaming system. record a 10 second audio clip and garble your voice? seriously?

Yeah, I'll take someone's used DS Lite please smile
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2009, 10:07:26 PM »

That $70 Gamestop trade-in might help.  And I've got a bunch of Costco gift cards I can use.  This may be the year my daughter and I get matching DSis.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2009, 10:09:22 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on April 02, 2009, 10:06:53 PM

I hope I don't offend anyone when I say ... those features in that video are incredibly lame for a handheld gaming system. record a 10 second audio clip and garble your voice? seriously?

Yeah, I'll take someone's used DS Lite please smile

Good thing I'm not buying it for those features.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2009, 11:19:44 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on April 02, 2009, 10:06:53 PM

Quote from: farley2k on February 20, 2009, 02:33:33 PM

But but but ... you can morph people's faces with 11 "lenses"!!!  And you can morph your OWN face too!!!  And then draw little candy hearts around the morphed face.  How much more fun could it possibly be!?!?!  icon_twisted
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2009, 01:56:44 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 02, 2009, 10:07:26 PM

That $70 Gamestop trade-in might help.  And I've got a bunch of Costco gift cards I can use.  This may be the year my daughter and I get matching DSis.

That would be the only reason I'd get the DSi - but there's nothing wrong with my DSL, so there's no point to upgrade to a system that'll have features that won't be used fully because not everybody will have a DSi (except in Japan, where everybody apparently owns two of the things).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2009, 04:24:12 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 03, 2009, 01:56:44 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 02, 2009, 10:07:26 PM

That would be the only reason I'd get the DSi - but there's nothing wrong with my DSL, so there's no point to upgrade to a system that'll have features that won't be used fully because not everybody will have a DSi (except in Japan, where everybody apparently owns two of the things).

Don't forget that they have DSi-Enhanced games coming out where both platforms can play the same game.  You can, of course, wait until then before jumping in, but they can give features to games that the DSi can use that the DS can't and still sell it.

For me, I am buying it for the downloadable games and WPA mostly.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: