http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 05:27:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo DSi LL/XL  (Read 1487 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2009, 04:43:09 PM »

Nintendo announces a new, larger DSi, the DSi LL:

Nintendo has taken the wraps off a new version of the DSi handheld that sports larger 4.25-inch dual screens. The portable gaming unit will be considerably bigger than current and previous DS and DSi models. It will be dubbed the DSi LL in Japan where it goes on sale on November 21 for 20,000 yen (about $220). In Europe, the unit will be known as the DSi XL when it appears on store shelves in the first quarter of 2010. Nintendo did not provide details on a possible North American launch.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 05:54:17 PM »

As someone who's large mitts loved the original X-Box "Duke" controller, this news makes me very happy.   thumbsup
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 05:58:45 PM »

Can't say I'm super-pleased about it, but whatevs.  I think the Big N is losing their focus.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 07:27:22 PM »

Isn't this just the DSi with the original DS Phat sized screens in it? Frankly, the size is what makes the DSl so nice, and why I upgraded to it years back. Never upgraded again to the DSi because I saw no reason, and I see even less of one to get this.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 07:28:18 PM »

Same Nintendo bullshit.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 07:42:42 PM »

DS: 148.7 mm x 84.7 mm x 28.9 mm, 3-inch screens
DSi: 137 mm x 74.9 mm x 18.9 mm, 3.25-inch screens
DSi LL: 161 mm x 91.4 mm x 21.2 mm, 4.25-inch screens
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 07:47:41 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 07:49:05 PM »

tempting, just for the extra real estate.  really though, they need to consider a next gen version instead.  bring in a better hardware spec to compete on the same level of the psp, graphically, and you have my full interest.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 08:28:55 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 29, 2009, 07:49:05 PM

tempting, just for the extra real estate.  really though, they need to consider a next gen version instead.  bring in a better hardware spec to compete on the same level of the psp, graphically, and you have my full interest.

There's talk about the Nvidia Tegra chipset in a new DS revision.  Fingers crossed...
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 10:31:27 PM »

This is probably just a test to see what size the market would like for the next gen nintendo handheld. Put out a bigger version and see what people would buy.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 01:07:42 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on October 29, 2009, 08:28:55 PM

There's talk about the Nvidia Tegra chipset in a new DS revision.  Fingers crossed...

Won't happen. The only way you'll see the Tegra chipset in a DS is if they make the 'next generation' of DS. They're already splitting the user base with the DSi - they won't do it again anytime soon.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 01:53:29 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 30, 2009, 01:07:42 AM

Quote from: Eel Snave on October 29, 2009, 08:28:55 PM

Won't happen. The only way you'll see the Tegra chipset in a DS is if they make the 'next generation' of DS. They're already splitting the user base with the DSi - they won't do it again anytime soon.

No, no.  I didn't mean in THIS revision.  I meant a future revision.  http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/13/nvidia-tegra-to-power-next-gen-nintendo-ds/
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 04:57:10 AM »

Quote from: Jancelot on October 29, 2009, 05:54:17 PM

As someone who's large mitts loved the original X-Box "Duke" controller, this news makes me very happy.   thumbsup

+ 1 Million

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 03:41:52 PM »

"Nintendo DSi LL features not only bigger monitor screens," Iwata said, "but an improved view angle on the screens to make it the first portable system that can be enjoyed with people surrounding the gamer."

Interesting...

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 05:52:18 PM »

Won't games also look worse on the DSiLL simply because the dot pitch will be so much bigger? Those pixels are starting to get pretty big now. I mean, it's not like the resolution is going to change any.

KC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 06:43:16 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 31, 2009, 05:52:18 PM

Won't games also look worse on the DSiLL simply because the dot pitch will be so much bigger? Those pixels are starting to get pretty big now. I mean, it's not like the resolution is going to change any.

I was thinking the same thing.  Isn't this like playing a 640x480 game on a 22" monitor?

I would also think that the bigger screens mean shorter battery life.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 07:15:30 PM »

Quote from: KC on October 31, 2009, 06:43:16 PM

I was thinking the same thing.  Isn't this like playing a 640x480 game on a 22" monitor?

No, it's not. Now you guys are just piling on for the sake of piling on. The DSi screen resolution is 256x192. Going from a 3.25-inch to  a 4.25-inch isn't going to make a noticeable difference unless your holding the two units side by side.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on October 31, 2009, 07:15:30 PM

Quote from: KC on October 31, 2009, 06:43:16 PM

No, it's not. Now you guys are just piling on for the sake of piling on. The DSi screen resolution is 256x192. Going from a 3.25-inch to  a 4.25-inch isn't going to make a noticeable difference unless your holding the two units side by side.

I don't know about that.  The pixels will be bigger, won't they?  It'll look more pixelly, guaranteed.  It just doesn't seem right, you know?  I think there's more to this than they're letting on.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 09:31:11 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on October 31, 2009, 08:33:00 PM

I don't know about that.  The pixels will be bigger, won't they?  It'll look more pixelly, guaranteed.  It just doesn't seem right, you know?  I think there's more to this than they're letting on.

I don't, actually. I think this is just Nintendo responding to people's comments that the DSi screen is too small. Doesn't make much sense to release this model otherwise, IMHO. Of course, for that matter, it doesn't make much sense to release it anyway.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 05:00:08 PM »

Just over a month away.

Media Post

Nintendo's long-anticipated DSi XL handheld gaming consoles hit the U.S. market on March 28, Daniel S. Evans reports ... with much better viewing angles from the sides than the original DSi's two 3.25-inch screens. It will retail for $189.99.
Several games are preloaded.

Bloomberg's Adam Satariano reports the device will double as a book reader similar to Apple's iPad, Amazon's Kindle and Sony's Reader. Nintendo will roll out "100 Classic Books" for $19.95 in June. "It's not really about trying to take on the e-book market," says Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo's evp of sales and marketing for North America. "It's just one more way to enjoy your device."

warning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 06:01:43 PM »

I'm guessing those 100 classic books are all public domain and could be freely downloaded from a site like Feedbooks and used with the iPad, Kindle and Sony's ereader.

Nice try though Nintendo.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 06:43:56 PM »

Another DS?  Jesus, this is reaching iPod levels of revisions.  How about making a new DS thats actually.... more powerful?

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 06:46:32 PM »

I might get one of these.  My DS pretty much stays home all the time anyway, so having much larger screens would be better for me.  The decreased portability means nothing to someone who never takes it anywhere.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 07:02:30 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on February 25, 2010, 06:46:32 PM

I might get one of these.  My DS pretty much stays home all the time anyway, so having much larger screens would be better for me.  The decreased portability means nothing to someone who never takes it anywhere.

People like Chaz are the reason they keep revising it, there's always people who will find an excuse to buy the new version slywink

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 07:09:02 PM »

I've only ever bought one DS, and it was the Lite.  I'm really the last person to upgrade to the "new" version just because it's new.  Give me an actual reason to, like larger, brighter screens, and I'll consider it.

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 07:18:44 PM »

I'm considering getting one, too.  The XL seems like a nice replacement for the beat-up Phat model I've been using forever.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 07:25:22 PM »

Nintendo sees a nice sales boost every time they change the form factor or color so no surprise they will continue to do that.  I don't see it as a big deal at all since it isn't invalidating old DS's. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: