http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 12:34:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo DS:Consipracy Theory...  (Read 1187 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2004, 12:52:41 AM »

Heh, ranks right up there with ilovebees.com (Halo 2)

Must read: http://www.gamecubicle.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3035]Link

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 06:46:50 PM »

That's some fun "Did Oswald act alone?" stuff there. I like how they have that kid in the woods and say this represents the DS. So I'm going to play on my DS with only a stray dog while worrying about getting bitten by snakes and mosquitos? Joy... slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 08:56:38 PM »

I look at it this way - there's lots of possiblities for the little handheld that could. One thought is that the console is capable of piggybacking any DS that gets into range, to extend the range of the first console.

Just imagine if it could actually do that.

And on the other side of the coin - since the game uses 800.11 (or whatever the low-end wireless standard is called), the Warp Pipe Project guys (the ones who get LAN games on the Gamecube to go online over the internet) are going to work on that console as well.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 09:57:18 PM »

if you spend some time with this you'd realize it's actually Warppipe and not Nintendo doing this. However Warppipe is now an LLC and is being funded by a yet unknown major financial source.

Big rumors going around now is that Warppipe has been tagged by Nintendo as the official unofficial online team for the company.

Looks like they're gonna go full blast with DS and give you great network playability.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 10:17:11 PM »

Edit: doh.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Semaj

View Profile
Heh
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 02:55:22 PM »

So much fanboy dreaming it was hard to weed through it all and get whats important...

I'ma go minimalist on my guesses.
Wireless mutigaming (Think Crystal Chronicles) where you can b a decent space apart.
So much what is reality so much what isnt sounds all matrix-y.. Like maybe the Matrix online is going to be a game,.. but I doubt theyd go in cahoots for that,.. They are probably just sticking with Animal crossing as thier major online gaming platform for now.

It's a phenominal way to create a buzz eh?

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 10:01:03 PM »

Animal Crossing is the given, just look at the picture of the kid in the woods with a ds with a dog crossing his path... It's a metaphor.

On top of that, this is definately an online gaming network for the DS, Chad from warppipe has pretty much gauranteed that as much as he cna from behind a NDA.

The real kicker here is whether or not this will translate to Nintendo's next console. Wouldn't that technology make sense in a home console? Who the hell needs Broadband when each system acts as a wireless hub, get enough of them in one location or close enough to a hotspot and you have a hugemongous wireless network. Is that fairytale dreaming? Yes. Is it possible? Yes, but it would only be viable if you knew enough people with system's or if they had bigger wifi ranges. I mean think of the giddiness you'd get if  you have four or five neighbors all close enough to have your own wifi network of home consoles. Take that to the next level, if it would interface with currernt wifi routers you'd have a huge, free network that prettymuch does not require broadband internet like Xbox Live!

We all know that Nintendo is hard-on for wireless technology, and that if they went "online" they wanted it to be free and accessible to as many people as possible.

Damn now I'm geeked up about a free network solution...

Quick someone bring me down... remind me how Nintendo never lives up to its pie in the sky dreams... quick!

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 03:43:52 AM »

Well, I wouldn't get too excited about a free wireless network smile  The current range of 802.11g/b is too short to have a realistic shot of creating too wide a network, and FCC guidelines greatly restrict the amount you can boost an existing 802.11 signal in that spectrum.  And even if every one of your neighbors did have a Nintendo DS and they all had it on at the same time, one of them would still have to be connected to a gateway of some sort to get out to the internet (which means everyone would be sapping that person's bandwidth).

While I don't think the networki technology won't be any different than existing 802.11 devices running in ad-hoc mode, I must admit that the potential matchmaking capabilities is pretty darn cool.  I can be sitting there playing Animal Crossing when all of a sudden a new neighbor pops into town... only it's my real life neighbor down the street who happens to be walking by.  The only potential catch to this type of setup might be the requirement that everyone has a copy of the software, but if they extend the GBA's current ability to play multiplayer games using one copy (usually only a few levels or a limited portion of the game is used) then it could be really cool.  That next plane flight to Montana could be pretty fun when there's another 25 people on board all itching to play each other in Metroid or some other game...

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: