http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 07:49:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo DS  (Read 6723 times)
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2004, 05:24:01 AM »

Well, since the other thread was locked, let me write some of my impressions since I have now been able to play it smile .

Impressive. Honestly, if there were more games coming out for it I would get it now. I would keep my SP though because of its perfect size and comfort. I can agree to some degree the statements about the DS feeling cheap. It does feel much cheaper then the SP. I dont know what it is, it just does. About the touch screen, I was impressed. My brotehr purchased it and while I was visiting him I got to play it for an hour or so. I played mario and the metroid demo. I had a good time. The graphics amaze me (they alone almost make it worth purchasing, and also show it sint just a demo). It ws like an N64 in my hand (or better). The sound was high quality and in reality, everything about it I liked. Except for how it felt cheap, and I found it somewhat difficult to hold.

The cartridges, just great. The small size was pure genious. They ar tiny now, and I thought the GBA ones were small. I might have to get one when more games come out, just keep my sp for its size. The sound and graphics really impressed me though, and ti seems to have developer support which makes me think it isnt going to be as much like virtuaboy, and the fact that it seemed to be like an N64 in my hands makes me think it is no gimmick.

Really impressive is all I can say. Now I am just waiting for games, sounds familiar to other nintendo systems (the GCN, not the GBA, plenty of games there  biggrin ).
Sparhawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 09:23:47 AM »

Ouch, I just noticed the other thread was locked. Sorry about that, didn't know my comments would cause a flamewar.

Obviously I already stated my opinion and have nothing more to add here. Just wanted to apologize to everyone.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 01:57:00 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
Ouch, I just noticed the other thread was locked. Sorry about that, didn't know my comments would cause a flamewar.

Obviously I already stated my opinion and have nothing more to add here. Just wanted to apologize to everyone.

No need to apologize, you didn't do anything wrong.  

On topic, I'll probably get a DS next year sometime. I got the GBA SP yesterday, and I like it, and I'll be able to play the SP games on the DS, so that's good. There just aren't enough release titles for the DS to persuade me to go that route yet.

As more good DS titles ship, I'll switch over.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 06:28:01 PM »

I'm in the same boat as you, Jeff: the launch titles aren't tempting me like they should, and I can wait to buy a DS. I hope some killer games start to appear sooner than later though.

I also want to know what the whole DemaSked thing is all about.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 06:50:34 PM »

I'm sitting this one out too because there just isn't any game released yet to compel me to buy one.

I do look forward to seeing it one day when I'm at a store that has one.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Lavan Firestorm
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 06:30:39 AM »

I haven't played a DS myself but am fully looking forward to it and Metroid Prime Hunters.

Flee from the Storm.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 08:32:31 AM »

Man, a new handheld was released - a new console even, should one choose to see it that way - and this is all the fanfare it gets. That seems so unfortunate. I hope Nintendo is able to pump out some killer games before the PSP shows itself.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 03:00:46 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Man, a new handheld was released - a new console even, should one choose to see it that way - and this is all the fanfare it gets. That seems so unfortunate. I hope Nintendo is able to pump out some killer games before the PSP shows itself.

Yeah, that's just it. A console release has to have some A-List launch titles, or else what's the point. Super Mario has been done 1000 different ways, Madden 2005 (yawn), a touchy/feely game (while perhaps good, no one's heard of it), and uh.. uh.. i can't even think of the other few.

If they had had Metroid ready, a really nice & deep RPG, Mario Baseball/Golf/Tennis DS, Paper Mario DS (!), or some other big titles, then maybe...
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 06:25:40 PM »

Yeah, this is a pretty bad console launch. Leave it to nintendo to mess this up. Its like they think they dont have any competition, but they do now. You would think they would try and blow the PSP out of the ater, but they arnt. I could see the PSP running over gameboy. Gameboy games just look dated, and the DS has a pretty weak lineup. Im pulling for you nintendo, but its getting harder and herder. I tried on the GCN, and now im worried about your handehelds as well.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 08:43:04 PM »

I bet this is just a Virtual Boy to them - an experiment with something different, just for the hell of it. I think that a bit after the PSP launches, they'll release the true successor to the GBA, and own the PSP.
Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 08:57:07 PM »

The line-up is dissappointing but there's alot of good stuff coming out in early 2005.  Metroid, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Wario Ware etc. are, I believe, still scheduled for January.

I know both my local EB's are sold out of DS units until February, earliest.  So at least I'll have one when the good stuff is released.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2004, 10:23:11 PM »

Isn't it pretty much sold out everywhere?
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2004, 10:51:57 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
Isn't it pretty much sold out everywhere?

my local EB still has a shelf full of them...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2004, 11:13:37 PM »

If its sold out, it must be just off here, because every store here has shelves of them. They are just backing up.

I dont know, I think this may be the succesor of the GB. I hope not, because that is dissapointing. If it had support it would be great, but it doesnt. More games! Thats all that is needed.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2004, 02:19:13 AM »

Uhm, Nintendo is now projecting that they will sell 5 million units by March 31, 2005. I think it's safe to say this unit will get TONS of support from Nintendo and 3rd party developers.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2004, 02:29:15 AM »

Yeah, and it is really showing in games. Im just saying that you can sell all the systems you want, without games, the system is shit to me. And that is what the DS is to me now because of their games. I think it has huge potential.

Lots of systems sell a lot at launch. But for how well the DS is apparently doing, why are stores filled with them after black friday? Thats not right. I mean xboxs, PStwos, and GCns are sold out here, but not the DS? I went to walmart today and they were sold out of all three main consoles and still had huge amounts of DS systems. Im sorry, but no matter how many systems Nintendo projects, that is not a good sign to me. Sure it was just local, but still telling since I live in a city where people travel from all around to shop (this is montana after all, not many cities here smile ). Most times stores here sell out fast of new systems.

One of my friedns who is a night stocker at walmart says they sold more GBA systems then DS systems by far and were sold out of several colors. I was shocked as hell, till I remebered the games list. Plus its a bit pricey. When it is sitting next to a GCN with two controllers and a free $50 game all for 100 bones, the $150 DS with a demo isnt very tempting. It may not compete head on with the big systems, but you better believe it does on black friday for parents.

More games!!! What else can I say? More games are needed and quick!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2004, 03:19:48 AM »

Quote from: "JCC"
Uhm, Nintendo is now projecting that they will sell 5 million units by March 31, 2005. I think it's safe to say this unit will get TONS of support from Nintendo and 3rd party developers.
In the US alone?  Yeah frickin' right.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2004, 03:51:25 AM »

It's worldwide, or Japan/US actually, the preorders for the machine in Japan alone are over 2 million.

I think that's nuts considering how weak the lineup is, but my little brother wants one, he's 17 and you wouldn't think Nintendo stuff appeals to him that much. He said a lot of his buddies are interested in the wi-fi gaming, even more so because it's local.

If we go by local anectdotal eveidence, you can't get the damned thing in Richmond, Va; so they mush be selling well! Tongue  :roll: /sarcasm

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2004, 04:18:58 AM »

I have one and I would say this is a very weak launch. Not much on the horizon before Christmas either. (Hoping Mr. Driller is good...)

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2004, 07:00:59 AM »

Sure my evdidence was anectdotal, but it still is telling to me. I dont need to convince anyone. I can tell walking into a game store here that this system is not selling well. At least not well compared to other large launches. At any rate, what was nintendo thinking without having any launch titles? They are some pretty mesely titles released. I mean the urbz is just the GBA version on two screens? Its just not impressive. Just more telling of how nintendo thinks it is in its own little world. They make such good games, they just need someone with a mind for bussiness to steer them correctly.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2004, 11:23:41 AM »

I agree launch titles are weak, but I don't blame the harware creator for Third Party Software. Sure I'd like to see better games at a launch, but Nintendo can only control Nintendo games.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2004, 01:09:15 PM »

There is a key difference on why the launch seems weaker than most to us- with the exception of the Xbox almost every other console launch has occured several months or more *after* the Japanese launch.  Japanese launches are traditionally fairly weak but Americans get the bonus of a lot of titles that were released post launch in Japan.   For the DS, its actually launching here before Japan so we lose that advantage.

Looking at the PSP Japanese launch lineup it doesn't look any stronger to me than the DS's.  I'll be getting both though.  The DS is on my Christmas list- an improved port of Super Mario 64 is all the killer app I need.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2004, 01:27:37 PM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
Yeah, and it is really showing in games. Im just saying that you can sell all the systems you want, without games, the system is shit to me. And that is what the DS is to me now because of their games. I think it has huge potential.

And what I am saying is that Nintendo has already raised their sales expectations for this system TWICE. And what are we, 9 days after it launched in the US alone?

I'm not saying the launch titles are anything great. I agree that they are not (I don't own or have any immediate plans on owning a DS.) I am saying it's silly to think that the DS will be like the Virtual Boy and get no future support from Nintendo or 3rd party developers when it's clearly exceeding expectations saleswise.

-John

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2004, 01:30:57 PM »

Day after Black Friday there were stacks of them still in the cases at Wal-Mart.  I asked about buying a PS2...he said he didn't have any of them, haven't had any in weeks, but had plenty of Nintendo DS's to sell.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2004, 07:06:48 PM »

Quote from: "JCC"

And what I am saying is that Nintendo has already raised their sales expectations for this system TWICE. And what are we, 9 days after it launched in the US alone?

I'm not saying the launch titles are anything great. I agree that they are not (I don't own or have any immediate plans on owning a DS.) I am saying it's silly to think that the DS will be like the Virtual Boy and get no future support from Nintendo or 3rd party developers when it's clearly exceeding expectations saleswise.

And I have made so many comparisons of it to virtua boy  :roll: .

Its not selling as well as I would have thought. Black friday should be a sellout for all new systems. I mean if you cant sell out a brand new system on black friday, something may be wrong.

It doesnt matter to me if because it was launched in the US first there are no games for it. That is a terrible excuse for Nintendo. The killer app for the system is from the N64. Its just not intriguing.

Now Ive said before, I want to like this system. I have played it and I was really impressed by the hardware. But the games are missing. And you can say nintendo isnt to blame, but ultimatly they are. Besides dont you think they could have released more games for it? I mean the only one from them is Mario. And it is a port. Too bad, Nintendo makes great games, but this system feels rushed. They should have waited a year imo.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2004, 07:20:33 PM »

The killer app for the system is from the N64

They way things look, the killer apps for EVERY Nintendo system will be something from the N64.  smile

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2004, 07:23:21 PM »

And I have made so many comparisons of it to virtua boy  :roll: .

And my original post wasn't directed towards you, so please roll your eyes elsewhere! smile

-John

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2004, 07:30:31 PM »

Eh.  I played a DS in EBGames when I went to check out their PC sale.

It's frickin' huge, and damn ugly.  I might be interested in its "second generation" model, if it survives long enough to be made, but christ, if I had to endure something that clunky, I'd just play something on my laptop.  (And don't even try to say NEWB TEH LAPTOPSZ DO NOT HAV 2 SKREENS LIK TEH DS!!!!111)

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2004, 09:24:27 PM »

Well I can say that my EB is completely sold out of our first two shipments of the DS. Now the games on the other hand we still have plenty of them.

Ironically enough we've had people coming in and asking us if we had any and we get one of two answers:

1)"You're sold out ? <insert megastore chain name> has tons of them."

2)"Man I can't seem to find one anywhere. When are you guys going to get some more?"

I personally went around to a few Target, WalMart, and Best Buy stores and you know what? Out of 6 stores only one Target had 5-6 DS units left. So either the first group of people can't tell a display box from the real thing or the second group of people just aren't looking hard enough.

How does this work again?
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2004, 10:06:27 PM »

I played the Metroid game today at lunch at Best Buy.  The use of the stylus to aim was pretty nifty and I enjoyed the game alot.  But the unit was mounted in one of those you-can't-steal-me holders.  I was thinking at the time how differently it would be if I had to hold on, shoot with the trigger and control movement all with with my left hand while trying to use the stylus to aim with my right.  And the d-pad and buttons are once again too small for me.  The graphics looked great though, as was the sound.  I'm still holding off on this one as I still have my SP and I just acquired a smoking new laptop which is only slightly larger than the DS.  slywink
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2004, 10:15:34 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
I played the Metroid game today at lunch at Best Buy.  The use of the stylus to aim was pretty nifty and I enjoyed the game alot.  But the unit was mounted in one of those you-can't-steal-me holders.  I was thinking at the time how differently it would be if I had to hold on, shoot with the trigger and control movement all with with my left hand while trying to use the stylus to aim with my right.  And the d-pad and buttons are once again too small for me.  The graphics looked great though, as was the sound.  I'm still holding off on this one as I still have my SP and I just acquired a smoking new laptop which is only slightly larger than the DS.  slywink

When you're holding the unit in your hands, you don't use the stylus to control the game. The DS ships with a little thumb nub. You put it on and then  use your thumb on the touch pad. It works out really well. It allows you to support the unit, use the touch screen, and the face buttons without any difficulty.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2004, 10:57:40 PM »

I need one for a gift, everywhere is sold out any ideas?

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2004, 11:44:19 PM »

Hank, haven't you read this thread- everywhere has tons of copies because its not selling well.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2004, 12:54:01 AM »

Drive to montana you will find an abundance  smile . Have you tried walmart? They have quite a few here. I checked today and our gamestop today actually was sold out. But our best buy was not, nor was circuit city.

The stylus really isnt a problem because as someone said, the thumb thingie actually works pretty well. It was a little akward for me at first, but it ended up being pretty good. Its size reminds me of my game gear collecting dust  smile . That game gear was ahead of its time in the handheld market wasnt it?

A good shocking to Nintendo may turn out good. It has so comfortably owned the market for so long that it hasnt had to push all that much. With sony on the scene and a somehwat unimpressive DS launch, this could turn out for the better. Maybe they will get off their tail now. Dont get me wrong I love the GBA SP, but it could be better, and the games could be better. Im excited to see what will happen with the pushing around now.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2004, 06:54:37 AM »

A good shocking to Nintendo may turn out good. It has so comfortably owned the market for so long that it hasnt had to push all that much. With sony on the scene and a somehwat unimpressive DS launch, this could turn out for the better.

I don't think the PSP launch will be all that better.

Just recently Sony actually shifted some of their manufacturing away from the PSP to bolster production of the PSTwo. Accordingly they are now lowering projected units on launch to just 200,000 units. Also it appears that they are pushing the more expensive bundled unit with the accessories over the individual unit and store inventory is reflecting that. Speculation is that since Sony will be taking a significant loss on this hardware as well so they may be hedging their bets (or hoping to generate even more buyer interest due to perceived "scarcity=hot item=must buy"). Don't forget about the battery "problem" as well that may or may not improve as later revisions of the hardware come out. Granted all of this applies only in Japan right now but with the US launch just a few months away I don't think the PSP will have such a spectacular launch either.

How does this work again?
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2004, 07:11:07 AM »

I messed around with it at EB today.  I think the potential is there for some very cool gameplay when some decent games come out.  I asked my wife to buy me one for christmas.  I agree with the opinion here that the launch games are pathetic.  Metroid was impressive though.  They should have done anything possible to have Metroid Hunters ready for launch.  Proof once again that Nintendo just doesnt get it.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2004, 07:20:25 AM »

Quote from: "wankerjr"
Mark my words:  the PSP will sell out across the country.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2004, 01:56:38 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Quote from: "wankerjr"
Mark my words:  the PSP will sell out across the country.

If they only ship a couple hundred thousand units is that an accomplishment?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2004, 03:03:36 PM »

From Seattle Times:

500,000 handheld DS players sold

Nintendo is announcing today that it sold 500,000 of its handheld DS players last week — about 90 percent of the supply available in stores. It also sold 800,000 Game Boy Advance players during that time, setting a one-week sales record for handheld game players. The company said it expects to sell 1 million DS units in North America this year. Last week, it increased its shipment forecast for the DS to 5 million units from 3.5 million units worldwide by the end of March.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2004, 06:17:47 PM »

Looking at the list for DS games coming out next eyar, its going to be pretty cool. Why oh why didnt they wait? Now I will have a stigma against it  :wink: / But seriously, their release list looks good.

What is the battery problem with the PSP? I havnt heard about it yet? A bad battery would bite. One thing the GBASP does right is the battery. Best Li-ion battery ever. It really is.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: