http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 06:39:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo DS video- I'm impressed  (Read 2867 times)
Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2004, 09:19:24 PM »

Have you guys seen this video?

I'm very impressed by the various uses of the touch screen in the DS.  I've always been thinking it's a bit gimicky, but they actually have some cool uses in upcoming games (drawing paths for characters, for example).  

Very anxious to get one of these systems now.  smile  Hard to believe it's just a few weeks away.
PaulBot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 05:49:47 AM »

Thanks for posting that link! I've only seen pathetic short video snippets. That was really long and full of many DS games!

It's going to be a very cool system - they've just gotta drop the price ASAP to get it farther away from the PSP's $185.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 03:57:26 PM »

Ok, I knew I would have to get one just because of Advance Wars.  But now I know I HAVE to get one.  Did you see that operation game?  Oh man, Life & Death was one of my favorite games of all time.  If this is anything like that, I'll scream like a little girl for joy.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 05:19:00 PM »

There is still the built-in problem of needing three hands or a table to play.  And that screen will eventually become very scratched up.

I'm happy with all of the innovation Nintendo is putting into the touch screen.  It really does go beyond a gimick.  But the three hand thing is an inherent problem, and I think it may be an issue.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 06:41:15 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
There is still the built-in problem of needing three hands or a table to play.  And that screen will eventually become very scratched up.

This is my only concern about the system, as well.  It seems like it'll be awkward to hold the system with your left hand and use the stylus with the right.  We really won't know until we try it out though.
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 07:04:55 PM »

Knowing Nintendo they'll come up with some "DS laser eyeball scanner thing accessory" that watches what you're looking at and pretends it's the stylus.  And it'll only cost $20!  And it'll make Pikachu and ocarina noises even when it's off!

I definitely hope that screen and stylus are TeflonTM coated, otherwise there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 07:25:08 PM »

I'm looking at that video, and thinking... eh.. that looks goofy, and wondering if I could just play with the d-pad instead. Is the stylus the only way to play those games, or is it just optional :?:
Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 07:28:26 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
I'm looking at that video, and thinking... eh.. that looks goofy, and wondering if I could just play with the d-pad instead. Is the stylus the only way to play those games, or is it just optional :?:

Allegedly, they're striving to make multiple input schemes for games.  Metroid, for example, can be played with the d-pad/buttons only or with the stylus (left or right handed).  Of course, there's going to be some stylus oriented games that won't work with the d-pad no matter what.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 09:25:36 PM »

Turned me on.. Im not excited about this at all... but now Im interested.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 05:43:01 AM »

Check out this retail boxed unit that IGN just got: linky

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 05:48:12 AM »

That video makes it even more apparent that the two screens is just a bad gimmick.  For any game that used the stylus you pretty much had to concentrate exclusively on the touch screen, and the other games pretty much just used one screen for the actual game and the other for a map or some retarded character art.  

I think it would have been a much better direction to just have one larger screen, whether it used the stylus or not.  

I'm sure there will be some fun games for that, but I'm still not overly impressed.  Most of the stylus games seemed more like little mini-games that could all be packaged together as some cheap bundle rather than full-blown games that you would want to play for hours.  And for most things I would rather just use an analog stick for control...which they failed to include.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 05:57:29 AM »

Eh, I'm going to wait until they come up with a way to connect this up to the TV (like Game Boy Player). I'm not a portable gamer, the medium just don't hold my attention long enough for me to actually delve into the game and beat it.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 06:04:54 AM »

IN!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 03:46:52 PM »

I'm not sure I get the thumb nub on the shoulder strap (how do you use the directional pad then?  I thought Metroid moved with the d-pad and shot with the stylus [though I know they have an alternate control scheme in place]), but I'm glad they're trying to set up something.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 09:10:23 PM »

I thought Metroid moved with the d-pad and shot with the stylus [though I know they have an alternate control scheme in place]), but I'm glad they're trying to set up something.

They changed that after E3. By default you now use the d-pad to move (left and right make you side step), the stylus to look around/aim and you shoot with the left shoulder button.  So it's kinda like a mouse+keyboard FPS setup.

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2004, 07:24:25 PM »

Quote from: "Elenkis"
I thought Metroid moved with the d-pad and shot with the stylus [though I know they have an alternate control scheme in place]), but I'm glad they're trying to set up something.

They changed that after E3. By default you now use the d-pad to move (left and right make you side step), the stylus to look around/aim and you shoot with the left shoulder button.  So it's kinda like a mouse+keyboard FPS setup.

Yep.

The Nintendo rep came by yesterday and had one. Needless to say we gathered round as she demonstrated the device. I was quite impressed after playing metroid for a few minutes. Took a bit to get used to it but it's definitely different playing with a stylus in your hand. Graphics were good and the screens were nice and bright. Wasn't heavy at all.

Overall if I had not gotten an SP I'd probably buy this but I don't really see a need in getting rid of my SP yet.

How does this work again?
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2004, 07:30:15 PM »

They will probably create a thumb or finger stylus to use...similar to the ones for the Palm or PocketPC devices.  That way, there's no actual stylus smile

But no matter what, people will get used to this as well.  Remember when the GBA first came out or even the controllers for the PS/DC - people complained that there were too many buttons!  People will adjust -and be assimilated  :twisted:
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2004, 07:42:34 PM »

Have I said "IN!" yet or was it just assumed?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2004, 07:56:47 PM »

Assumed, but as for myself... the SP will tide me over quite allrigh.. maybe after the first or second price drop. This video and the impressions made me feel a whole lot better about the machine and I wait patiently to hear about more games.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2004, 10:18:42 PM »

They will probably create a thumb or finger stylus to use

They already have, that's what the thumb strap is for.

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2004, 12:13:37 AM »

Have I said "IN!" yet or was it just assumed?

Devil, I always assume in with you unless you state otherwise:

:shock:

Did you guys hear the latest buzz?? It will be hard to get unless you preordered. I want one, but will wait for fancy colors... besides warioware dont play them much, so I have them because they are cool to have...

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2004, 01:47:11 AM »

Yup, the DS has a little thumb strap/mini stylus that apparently works rully well with Metroid Prime: Hunters.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2004, 01:55:12 AM »

Played with the Metroid demo a bit today at EB.

Ehh.  :|

It was OK. Not going to stop me from getting it but certainly didn't wow me either.

My advice would be that if you are on the fence - stay there. biggrin

Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2004, 05:34:20 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"

Ehh.  :|

It was OK. Not going to stop me from getting it but certainly didn't wow me either.

What disappointed you about it?  Graphics?  Controls?  Did you go in thinking it'd look like a Gamecube game?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2004, 03:18:47 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"

My Target also has their playable display up, in case you really want to try it out and can't get to an EB or something.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2004, 04:18:36 PM »

What disappointed you about it? Graphics? Controls? Did you go in thinking it'd look like a Gamecube game?

Maybe it was the game (Metroid), controls or little of both.  Controlling with your finger completely covered the lower screen, rendering it somewhat useless. I think the same game could have been done using one screen and Halo-like controls (shoulders being gun triggers and movement based on left controller and right buttons). Be ready for finger prints too!

With this game it seems kinda gimmick-y but who knows what good stuff they might come up with.

Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2004, 02:16:14 PM »

I preordered one today.  I was in my local EB yesterday and overheard the guys working there saying they only had 3 pre-order slots available and wouldn't be receiving addtional units until after the New Year.  

I had been on the fence and just decided to go ahead, 150$ doesn't seem to bad.  I've never been let down by a Nintendo handheld and since I don't have a Gamecube still need some way to get my Nintendo fix.

I just hope the whole stylus/touch screen thing isn't a gimmick.  It seems like it could be cool, especially after watching that movie posted above.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: