http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 05:28:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo DS : How many stuck/dead pixels do you have  (Read 1761 times)
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2005, 01:25:31 AM »

I got my DS about a month ago, and it had this really obnoxious stuck blue pixel in the middle of my top screen.

At first, I heard that all DSes have stuck/dead pixels. Now, I've found this to be untrue.

Should I send this back to Nintendo for a replacement? It's really kinda driving me nuts....
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 01:40:35 AM »

I'd see if you could return it to the store you bought it from.

Mine is about 2 months old. No dead pixels.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 01:54:57 AM »

Just got mine a couple weeks ago and no pixel problems.  My wife's Axim has one and it annoys me.  I'd return it.

Mine did have a dead headphone jack and they exchanged it with no problems.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 02:10:51 AM »

I had one and brought it back - Nothing now!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 03:39:32 AM »

I got a DS in a trade and it had one or two stuck pixels.  Quite obnoxious.  Plus the D-Pad and ABXY buttons often feel 'sticky,' like they're not popping back into place.

Anyway, I called Nintendo, they said they'd fix it free of charge and even pay shipping.  I haven't shipped my system out yet, but I intend to at some point.  I'd heard they would ship you a brand new unit, (charged to your credit card), then you could ship your old one and once the old one arrived, they'd re-credit your card for the cost of the new one, so it's a clean, fast swap.  The representative didn't offer me that option, however, so I get to be DS-less for 12-20 business days at some point, or whatever the range was he quoted...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 03:51:23 AM »

Zero stuck pixels here.

TheMissingLink on PSN
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 03:55:23 AM »

Got a DS for Christmas - zero dead pixels from then on - probably cz we also got the store coverage... :lol:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 04:35:24 AM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
Got a DS for Christmas - zero dead pixels from then on - probably cz we also got the store coverage... :lol:

Same here!

adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 05:01:48 AM »

I had two, one on each screen. I went through the exact scenario LE described. I'd mention that you know about the "new for old" option and see if they approve it. Turnaround was done in a week and I was never charged. Fantastic customer support!

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 11:29:39 AM »

Had mine for a month or so.  No dead pixels at all.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 05:04:20 PM »

I've had mine for a couple of months and no problems here.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 05:51:44 PM »

This is ridiculous.

I called them, mentioned the "old for new" policy, and the guy told me that they "no longer have that policy for dead pixels". He told me I'd have to send my unit in, and wait 2-4 weeks for them to repair the screen.

I then asked him "Well, what problems does the 'old for new' policy currently cover?" and he said problems with the touch screen not responding, the battery not recharging, etc.

So, I asked him if I dropped my DS out the window right now, and suddenly one of those problems manifested, he would then take my credit card and send me a new unit. He then sounded nervous and said "Ummm.. well.. I don't think you dropping it out the window is covered by our warranty."

I followed this up with "Oh, so, if I called back and lied, and told you that my DS wasn't charging properly, you'd send me a new unit and I could return my defective one when I got it?" He then started stuttering a bit... and said "Uhhh.. well, I can't condone you doing something like that..." to which I interrupted "Great... so Nintendo policy dicatates that when the customer recieves a defective product from them, the only way to get good customer service from them is to deliberately lie? Thank you very much, I'll call back tommorow!" and hung up.

What the hell are they thinking?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 05:55:54 PM »

And a day before Nintendogs drops, the DS drops to $129.99 (August 21st).  You can read it in this news item.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 06:22:30 PM »

Mine has no dead pixels currently and I hope it stays that way!

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 06:37:23 PM »

The DS is dropping to $129.99.  With Lunar and Mario & Luigi 2 coming out, it's getting harder and harder to resist.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005, 09:53:43 PM »

Quote from: "flyinj"
This is ridiculous.

I called them, mentioned the "old for new" policy, and the guy told me that they "no longer have that policy for dead pixels". He told me I'd have to send my unit in, and wait 2-4 weeks for them to repair the screen.

I then asked him "Well, what problems does the 'old for new' policy currently cover?" and he said problems with the touch screen not responding, the battery not recharging, etc.

So, I asked him if I dropped my DS out the window right now, and suddenly one of those problems manifested, he would then take my credit card and send me a new unit. He then sounded nervous and said "Ummm.. well.. I don't think you dropping it out the window is covered by our warranty."

I followed this up with "Oh, so, if I called back and lied, and told you that my DS wasn't charging properly, you'd send me a new unit and I could return my defective one when I got it?" He then started stuttering a bit... and said "Uhhh.. well, I can't condone you doing something like that..." to which I interrupted "Great... so Nintendo policy dicatates that when the customer recieves a defective product from them, the only way to get good customer service from them is to deliberately lie? Thank you very much, I'll call back tommorow!" and hung up.

What the hell are they thinking?

Sweet.  I'm definitely calling in and reporting a battery issue now, and demanding old-for-new.

Refurbish my unit and resell it, I don't care.  But don't make me sit on my hands for anywhere up to a month, then potentially get a still-broken unit back.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 06:31:37 AM »

Quote from: "flyinj"

Wow. From my understanding, customer service with Nintendo is generally a very good thing. I'm actually quite surprised that you got this conversation.

But at least you know how to get your DS fixed. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 05:36:03 PM »

OK-

So, I didn't go the battery-recharge route, afraid they'd just try to send me a new battery.

Instead, I said my touchscreen stopped working on the right side.

They immediately told me that they had this "great" policy where they would send me a new unit and when I got it, I would put my old unit in the packaging and send it back.

No hassles whatsoever.

So, remember, when you call Ninentendo, you better LIE to them, or they'll treat you like crap.
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 10:08:28 PM »

Right but what happens when they get your old unit, test it and find nothing really wrong with it and then charge you for the service because you lied?  I don't know if Nintendo does this but there are companies out there who do.  You'd better find out before you send it back.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 10:31:37 PM »

Quote from: "egrudzin"
Right but what happens when they get your old unit, test it and find nothing really wrong with it and then charge you for the service because you lied?  I don't know if Nintendo does this but there are companies out there who do.  You'd better find out before you send it back.
The absolute worst they could do is charge you for shipping.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2005, 12:27:04 AM »

I'll just say "Oh, I'm sorry... I meant it had stuck pixels that your warranty says you'll replace for. Turn it on.. yeah, see up there, those stuck pixels? That's what I meant. Oh, what's that? I should have sent it in and waited 6 weeks for a new unit? Strange, that didn't happen to my coworkers when they had stuck pixels. Oh, the policy changed? Whoops, my bad... looks like you treated a customer a little TOO well here...".
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2005, 01:58:11 PM »

Or say it wasnt working when you shipped it.
Must have been bounced around in transit and, voila, now the touch screen works. Ask them if they notice anything else. If they say there are dead pixels say those werent there before!!! Then refuse to take back a unit with dead pixels. Done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: